PDA

View Full Version : How will the Malone and Payton signings work out for the Lakers this year?

dal9
11-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Hey guys, how well do you think signing Karl Malone and Gary Payton work out for the Lakers this year? They were talking 73 wins, but now 0-2. Both of these guys are skilled, but there are already injury concerns. Next dynasty or ticket out the door for Mike Brown?

PacersHomer
11-01-2012, 11:08 AM
It's a long season, but there's nothing promising happening in Los Angeles. I'd be fairly concerned if I was a Lakers fan.

Mackey_Rose
11-01-2012, 11:08 AM
I'm not sure that comparison is even close to accurate.

Nash was still playing at an MVP level last year, and Howard is unquestionably the best big man in the game.

BRushWithDeath
11-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Also, that "disastrous" Malone/Payton year resulted in 56 wins and a trip to the NBA Finals.

mattie
11-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Yes. Picking up Karl Malone in his last season as an NBA player ever, when he scored his lowest ppg. total ever, is just like trading for the most dominate big man in the game. Good one.

Erndog
11-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Yes. Picking up Karl Malone in his last season as an NBA player ever, when he scored his lowest ppg. total ever, is just like trading for the most dominate big man in the game. Good one.

This.

Not to mention, it's not as if the Lakers did terribly that season either lol

tfarks
11-01-2012, 11:30 AM
The Lakers have nothing to worry about. They will catch fire.

Mike Brown will be feeling the heat though.

Kid Minneapolis
11-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Hey guys, how well do you think signing Karl Malone and Gary Payton work out for the Lakers this year? They were talking 73 wins, but now 0-2. Both of these guys are skilled, but there are already injury concerns. Next dynasty or ticket out the door for Mike Brown?

I think they'll work it out in the end, but props for the chuckle.

OlBlu
11-01-2012, 11:51 AM

I am concerned that Nash isn't running the team and handling the ball. Why sign him if you were not going to use him? Mike Brown is a joke and he won't be there long in my opinion....:cool:

Sollozzo
11-01-2012, 12:05 PM
It's going to take some time. Nash needs to be able to control the ball, but at the same time he can't control it as much as he did in Phoenix because of Kobe. They will figure it out.

15th parallel
11-01-2012, 12:22 PM
The main problem is how they run their offense. If you play Nash like an off guard then it's pretty useless to have him as your PG.

It will take some time, but until they let Nash take control of playmaking they'll struggle winning with what they're doing.

It's been a problem with Mike Brown's coaching. His way of handling offense is just not that good.

Anthem
11-01-2012, 12:56 PM
The main problem is how they run their offense. If you play Nash like an off guard then it's pretty useless to have him as your PG.
Yeah, that's always been a little weird for me; I've not understood the Nash/Kobe pairing.

Dwight/Kobe? Heck yeah. But (and I haven't seen a minute of the Lakers yet) I don't really understand how they'll run their offense with Kobe and Nash running together. Can anybody think of an example of two ball-dominant guys like that working together?

TheDavisBrothers
11-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Yeah, that's always been a little weird for me; I've not understood the Nash/Kobe pairing.

Dwight/Kobe? Heck yeah. But (and I haven't seen a minute of the Lakers yet) I don't really understand how they'll run their offense with Kobe and Nash running together. Can anybody think of an example of two ball-dominant guys like that working together?

Wade and LeBron...

Anthem
11-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Wade and LeBron...
:laugh: How'd I miss them?

Still, it doesn't feel like a good comparison. Neither of them was the point guard, trying to run the offense. For the most part, they just took turns isolating against their man. I don't see Nash working that way.

TheDavisBrothers
11-01-2012, 01:16 PM
:laugh: How'd I miss them?

Still, it doesn't feel like a good comparison. Neither of them was the point guard, trying to run the offense. For the most part, they just took turns isolating against their man. I don't see Nash working that way.

NJs Kidd and Vince Carter is the best I can come up with, that's actually pretty close...
Kidd was a PG who dominated the ball and Carter was scoring like 25 points a game and avg 4-5 ast

Unclebuck
11-01-2012, 01:20 PM
One thing that is not going to work is a starting lineup of Artest, Gasol, Howard, Kober and Nash. That is 5 players who each need the ball to be effective. They at least need to take Artest out of the lineup - they need a Jeff Foster type player who never even wants the ball, only wants defense and rebounding. Might have to bring Gasol off the bench also.

I was never a big believer in Nash doing well with Kobe. Name the last time Kobe has played with a point guard who needs the ball??? Has it ever happened??? Just like Nash going to the Heat wouldn't work.

Thoise teams need a great defender and opportunity shooter at the point - they already have their creator.

Lakers will still be one of the best teams in the NBA this season though

Steagles
11-02-2012, 08:00 AM
It took Miami nearly an entire season to get the ball rolling.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk

BRushWithDeath
11-02-2012, 08:41 AM
It took Miami nearly an entire season to get the ball rolling.

And they still made the Finals.

Talent > chemistry, depth, coaching, etc.

ChicagoJ
11-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Name the last time Kobe has played with a point guard who needs the ball??? Has it ever happened???

Nick Van Exel?

Sollozzo
11-02-2012, 06:05 PM
Nick Van Exel?

Yeah, and he left after the 1998 season. At that point, Kobe was still coming off of the bench because of Eddie Jones.

Couldn't you count Gary Payton? I know he was old when he was on the Lakers, but he was still just one year removed from an all star season. He was a few years younger than Nash is now.

dal9
01-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Anyone want to revise and extend their remarks?

Coopdog23
01-08-2013, 09:08 PM
8 seed

mattie
01-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Anyone want to revise and extend their remarks?

If they make the playoffs, they're a nightmare for anyone. I still predict Western Conference Finals.