PDA

View Full Version : So the Pacers are now being broadcast in Kentucky...

Anthem
11-01-2012, 08:07 AM
I raged at League Pass Broadband last night, but this morning I think I figured out why the game was blocked.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/fox-sports-south-deliver-pacers-games-kentucky-2012-13

ATLANTA (OCTOBER 31, 2012) - FOX Sports South is bringing NBA basketball to Kentucky. Throughout the 2012-13 NBA Season, FOX Sports South will televise 26 Indiana Pacers games and 42 Memphis Grizzlies games, starting with both teamsí regular season openers on October 31. The Pacers open their schedule on Halloween night at the Toronto Raptors at 7 p.m. ET, followed by the Grizzlies opening night match up vs. the Los Angeles Clippers at 10:30 p.m. ET.

This is great news for the Pacers, but awful news for me. I don't have cable, so I don't get Fox Sports South. Does this mean that I'm going to miss an additional 26 Pacer games this year? If so, I'll probably cancel my LP Broadband.

LetsTalkPacers84
11-01-2012, 08:44 AM
Sounds like it

DrFife
11-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Guess you'll be spending time down at the Levee!

Eleazar
11-01-2012, 09:18 AM
I don't get why they can't just air it over the internet with commercials and all, as if it is just normal cable. I mean there is literally no difference if you get it over the internet or through the cable box.

Cousy47
11-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Sorry about your loss, but this is waaay past due. We have a rather basketball crazy possible fan base just waiting to be tapped in KY., IMO. Now if we could cover all of Indiana and Cinn., we'd be on the way to doubling the base.

Sandman21
11-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Louisville still can't have any of our home games though. :D

rel
11-01-2012, 03:59 PM
does anyone know who most Kentucky NBA fans root for? It's great that the P's are reaching out

Sollozzo
11-01-2012, 04:54 PM
does anyone know who most Kentucky NBA fans root for? It's great that the P's are reaching out

I don't think that many people in Kentucky care about the NBA. The world revolves around UK and U of L basketball there.

ilive4sports
11-01-2012, 08:48 PM
I don't think that many people in Kentucky care about the NBA. The world revolves around UK and U of L basketball there.
almost like Indiana.

Natston
11-01-2012, 08:56 PM

Oh I am sure there is a market though, some people would be shocked if they knew how well the Colts have gained popularity across Kentucky but I know I don't have to tell you that.

BoomBaby31
11-01-2012, 09:09 PM
It's called a proxy server, use it and don't get blacked out any games :).

kester99
11-02-2012, 06:48 AM
His account will be associated with a viewing area. Proxy server won't fix it. I was blocked from Charlotte games, whether I was home or at a hotel in WA state. It's not the IP; it's the account name that matters, seems like.

pacergod2
11-02-2012, 07:15 AM
Can you change your address to Miami, since they are on ABC all of the time anyway?

tomkat1971
11-02-2012, 07:21 AM
I lived in Louisville and southern Indiana for nearly 20 years and rarely did I hear anyone mention the NBA. The few fans I did know were front runners who rooted for the Lakers or now for the Heat....

Steagles
11-02-2012, 07:44 AM
I think the billing zip code is what determines what is blacked out. Don't quote me but its my thought.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk

DieHard
11-02-2012, 08:57 AM
I am so disappointed in to hear about the blackout policies. I got LP as a gift for my anniversary from my fiance, but I am realizing that I will not be able to see any of the Pacer games at all due to them being televised on cable. But I do not have cable, nor do I want it. That was my whole reason to ask for LP in the first place. I am hoping that they will give me a refund because as much as I love NBA basketball, I don't have enough time to invest in any more teams than just the Pacers. So right now I am stuck. I can't imagine not seeing the games this season, so I will probably break down and subscribe to DirectTV or something. Anyway this sucks. Go Pacers.

Derek2k3
11-02-2012, 10:01 AM
His account will be associated with a viewing area. Proxy server won't fix it. I was blocked from Charlotte games, whether I was home or at a hotel in WA state. It's not the IP; it's the account name that matters, seems like.

I think the billing zip code is what determines what is blacked out. Don't quote me but its my thought.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk

Actually, it's based off of your IP address. The idea is that people who travel want to be able to watch their team, so if the game isn't available locally you get it on LPBB.

Trader Joe
11-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Unless the Pacers draft a player who played at UK, I don't see them ever being interested in NBA basketball.

Sollozzo
11-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Too bad we didn't draft Rondo. UK fans would have without question made some trips to Indy to see him play.

Sollozzo
11-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Oh I am sure there is a market though, some people would be shocked if they knew how well the Colts have gained popularity across Kentucky but I know I don't have to tell you that.

You are definitely right about that. I used to live in Southern Indiana near Louisville, and the Colts replaced the Bengals as the team most follow there. That's because during the Manning era, the CBS affiliate showed every Colts game after years of preferring the Bengals.

However, the Pacers have not been aired down there prior to this. So people haven't been as exposed to them.

aamcguy
11-02-2012, 11:10 AM

That's odd, because LP Broadband only cares about where your ip says you are now. I'm guessing you were using a laptop with a cache that hadn't been cleared recently. They don't blackout games because the NBA doesn't want you to see more games, they blackout games because the tv networks have exclusive rights in their area. They make more per customer on LP anyway, I'm sure.

Kegboy
11-02-2012, 11:24 AM
First off, this really sucks for Anthem and people like him. The blackout policies are just plain dumb for a pay service.

Now, that said, this is great news for the Pacers. I wonder if Fox Sports Midwest (St. Louis) would be interested in a similar deal since there's no hockey. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if they went straight Memphis.

glazedham42
11-02-2012, 11:28 AM
There are ways around the LP Broadband blackouts. You just need to do some careful searching on Google. I bought the end of season package last year for the last 10 games, and found a way to watch every single game regardless of blackout rules. I forget exactly how I ended up getting it to work, but it can be done. It wasn't all that difficult either. Do some searching.

Slick Pinkham
11-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Unless the Pacers draft a player who played at UK, I don't see them ever being interested in NBA basketball.

The Pacers could schedule some promotions to appeal to the Kentucky folks.

you know,
pay a certain amount per tooth you have,
or bring your sister night,
or maybe Trailer Park Tuesday

:)

Trader Joe
11-02-2012, 01:18 PM
The Pacers could schedule some promotions to appeal to the Kentucky folks.

you know,
pay a certain amount per tooth you have,
or bring your sister night,
or maybe Trailer Park Tuesday

:)

Kentucky fans would probably wonder why our players make so little money.

duke dynamite
11-02-2012, 03:51 PM
That's odd, because LP Broadband only cares about where your ip says you are now. I'm guessing you were using a laptop with a cache that hadn't been cleared recently. They don't blackout games because the NBA doesn't want you to see more games, they blackout games because the tv networks have exclusive rights in their area. They make more per customer on LP anyway, I'm sure.

If that's the case it wouldn't matter, it goes off the IP of the gateway, not the local machine.

gummy
11-02-2012, 05:18 PM
I wasn't sure whether or not discussing this violated board policies so I didn't say anything earlier. I know it's not sharing a link to an illegal stream, but it's definitely a gray area. But since it is being discussed...

They do determine access based on IP. A proxy server does work to get around this issue. Last night I forgot to fire up my proxy server first, so I wasn't able to access the Clippers game. I cleared the cache, shut down my browser, fired up Ultrasurf, re-started LP Broadband, and voila!

Anthem
11-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Yep, a proxy server would solve it. I'm just disgusted with League Pass Broadband. It's infuriating that they do such a ridiculously crappy job with a premium product.

I'm also disgusted that they waited until the tipoff to announce that the Fox Sports South partnership, meaning that I couldn't know that the game was blacked out until it wouldn't start for me.

But mostly I'm disgusted that I've been on customer chat a half-dozen times so far over the past three days, and each time the chat times out before a customer service rep gets there. I've got a support ticket open that's been unanswered since I opened it Wednesday. They simply aren't even trying to provide customer support. I'd be embarrassed to run a lemonade stand this way.

Anthem
11-03-2012, 10:23 PM
I've got to say, if I wasn't already encouraging people to stay away from League Pass, their phenomenally bad customer support would make me do it. I've never seen customer service this bad in my entire life. It's epic.