PDA

View Full Version : Paul George's development

BlueCollarColts
10-31-2012, 10:19 PM
I figured we would be talking about all season so this is where we can talk about what we see from him, so game 1 he had 14 pts, 15 boards, and 5 assists. he might of only had 14 points but he created shots for others a lot tonight, it looked like he got other people shots all night which encouraged me, btw HIS BALL HANDLING IS SO MUCH BETTER

Heisenberg
10-31-2012, 10:23 PM
he was really good on the elbows from the triple threat. he's able to master that and good a get jab step going he'll have plenty of great looks with his length. watch Kobe tape PG.

BlueCollarColts
10-31-2012, 10:34 PM
yea, his passing impressed me tonight, he made some really nice passing, especially his post passing, he played a solid game

PacersHomer
10-31-2012, 10:36 PM
He looked a lot better in this game in the mid-range, dribbling, and passing than he did last year.

funnyguy1105
10-31-2012, 10:42 PM
He's looking more polished but still has a problem when driving in traffic. He decides to drive then charges or turns it over. He needs more of a plan/creativity.

Kid Minneapolis
10-31-2012, 10:57 PM
The big indicator to me... and unfortunately, it's a big indicator... is that when defenses key on him, his shot-making ability is drastically reduced. And that has to be the book on him around the league --- D him up and you'll mostly knock him off his game. Just like tonight, came out on fire, and once Toronto started getting in his face, he deferred a lot more and resorted to mostly just distributing the ball. Which he's good at for his size. But man it'd be nice to see him just absolutely dominate guys 1-on-1 at any point in the game, no matter the situation.

Dr. Awesome
10-31-2012, 11:03 PM
The big indicator to me... and unfortunately, it's a big indicator... is that when defenses key on him, his shot-making ability is drastically reduced. And that has to be the book on him around the league --- D him up and you'll mostly knock him off his game. Just like tonight, came out on fire, and once Toronto started getting in his face, he deferred a lot more and resorted to mostly just distributing the ball. Which he's good at for his size. But man it'd be nice to see him just absolutely dominate guys 1-on-1 at any point in the game, no matter the situation.
You can always spin that around and say if defenses are focusing on him, others should be able to make the plays to get open. The good part about that is, it would clear some space for Granger, Hibbert, and West...hell, even Hill is smart/good enough to make stuff happen.

Kid Minneapolis
10-31-2012, 11:04 PM
You'd think. But he was only getting 1-on-1 from what I could tell, so it's not like he was drawing help defenders. Looked to me that his guys were just staying close on him, and he was struggling to get his shot off clean, or at all. He did make some nice passes, but you'd think it would be a big boost to an opposing defense knowing that if PG got hot, all you really had to do was get up in his grill a bit and his shot-making would fall off.

Trader Joe
10-31-2012, 11:11 PM
Ball handling is better, next step mid range consistency on pull ups. Missed some shots that Danny makes without even thinking tonihgt.

Coopdog23
11-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Looked better early in the game, but has to take more mid range jumpers and and drive more so he can kick out to Hill, West, and Roy

daschysta
11-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Paul was very good last night. He played within the offense, which is what we need him to do. His ball handling looked better, he got out of control a few times, but he actually created plays for others off the dribble, and he displayed some moves early in the game that i'm convinced he can get whenever he wants, namely the mid post turn to jabstep jumper, no shooting guard is going to be able to bother that, and he was a demon on the glass.

The guy truly is the definition of a stat stuffer.

I'll take 14-15-5 any night on 46 percent, he needs to cut down on turnovers, but he held derozan to like 10 points 5 rebounds 1 assist on miserable shooting, and he was creating, so a few turnovers are to be expected, though 3 would be nicer than 5.

George is well on his way to getting where we need him to be. His strong rebounding somewhat makes up for West's weak rebounding and allows West to focus on what he's best at, beasting on the offensive end.

I think he could score 16-17 points per game this season, he wasn't as aggressive later in the game, but in the fourth it was understandable since we were going to West in the post time after time, which, as hot as West was, was the right thing to do, other nights i'm sure he and Hibbert will get more shots late. I'm very pleased.

Ace E.Anderson
11-01-2012, 01:37 PM

It was obvious that we made it a point to go to him and Roy early on in the game. But in the second half, we played more of a high post game with D.West and G.hill or D.West and PG. PG didn't have very many FGA in the second half, and I think that was because he was simply running the plays that were being called.

He was doing a good job of feeding D.West the ball in the post. I def would like to see him on the elbow more often, there isn't a 2-guard in the league that's tall enough to contain him if he keeps knocking that shot down consistently.

PG showed exactly what he is, a very good all around "stat sheet stuffer".

He's gonna be the type that averages 15-17 ppg, 8 Rebs, 4 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks. I love that he's so versatile.

Derek2k3
11-01-2012, 01:44 PM
he was really good on the elbows from the triple threat. he's able to master that and good a get jab step going he'll have plenty of great looks with his length. watch Kobe tape PG.

If I remember correctly, Brian Shaw is taking Paul through the "Kobe" development process. Showing him video, teaching him the moves etc.

Here's the sign of a great player (Clearly IMO): When one aspect of the game isn't going, you still impact the game. Tonight Paul's offense really fell apart. However, he started crashing the boards and d'ing up with a vengeance. Didn't pout/force up a ton of shots. He adjusted and continued to win the battle at his position.

That move in the paint, when he spun off the defender and slammed it, that was nasty.

EDIT: Oh, and a big thing - stopped his constant ****ing at the officials.

daschysta
11-01-2012, 01:51 PM
It was obvious that we made it a point to go to him and Roy early on in the game. But in the second half, we played more of a high post game with D.West and G.hill or D.West and PG. PG didn't have very many FGA in the second half, and I think that was because he was simply running the plays that were being called.

He was doing a good job of feeding D.West the ball in the post. I def would like to see him on the elbow more often, there isn't a 2-guard in the league that's tall enough to contain him if he keeps knocking that shot down consistently.

PG showed exactly what he is, a very good all around "stat sheet stuffer".

He's gonna be the type that averages 15-17 ppg, 8 Rebs, 4 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks. I love that he's so versatile.

He can probably average nearly that much this season if he keeps getting 34-36 mpg. As he perfects that mid post jumper he had going early in the game I think he can score even more. There is simply no 2 guard in the NBA that can really do much about that if PG is capable of knocking down that shot consistently. He's just too tall and too long. He'll hit more 3 point shots/ take some and make some normally too, which would be good for his ppg and spreading the floor.

I could definitely see him putting up 15-17 7.5-9 3-4 this season.

If I remember correctly, Brian Shaw is taking Paul through the "Kobe" development process. Showing him video, teaching him the moves etc.

Here's the sign of a great player (Clearly IMO): When one aspect of the game isn't going, you still impact the game. Tonight Paul's offense really fell apart. However, he started crashing the boards and d'ing up with a vengeance. Didn't pout/force up a ton of shots. He adjusted and continued to win the battle at his position.

That move in the paint, when he spun off the defender and slammed it, that was nasty.

EDIT: Oh, and a big thing - stopped his constant ****ing at the officials.

I wouldn't say his offense fell apart, he just didn't shoot much in the second half, largely because he was either feeding the hot hand, or on the bench. West won't be this hot most nights, and George will get more plays called for him.

Erndog
11-01-2012, 02:50 PM
He looked good, looked confident, but started to fade a bit as the game went on. Ballhandling was better, although I found he turned the ball over a bit (I think he had 4 or 5 off the top of my head). Clearly 15 boards is huge.

BlueCollarColts
11-01-2012, 03:09 PM
You'd think. But he was only getting 1-on-1 from what I could tell, so it's not like he was drawing help defenders. Looked to me that his guys were just staying close on him, and he was struggling to get his shot off clean, or at all. He did make some nice passes, but you'd think it would be a big boost to an opposing defense knowing that if PG got hot, all you really had to do was get up in his grill a bit and his shot-making would fall off.
true, but he had some easy shots that he should have made, he easily should have finished with 18 pts but he just missed open shots