PDA

View Full Version : Feelings: Anyone else nervous as the season starts

Unclebuck
10-31-2012, 01:51 PM
I don't intend to bring any real analysis to this thread, more just what you are feeling as we enter a new season.

I'm a little nervous.

It has been 8 years since expectations have been this high to start a season. So for the first time in 8 years I feel they have something to lose - if things don't go well it will seem a lot worse than a few seasons back when we didn't expect anything.

I think I had gotten used to watching Pacers games expecting that they would probably lose and if they won, great, if they didn't well that was to be expected. So there was nothing to be nervous about - just enjoy the games and hope for the best. Now if they lose it will hurt a lot more.

For 8 years - what was the worst that could happen? Get a high draft pick, get a coach fired, perhaps the worst thing is alwaysx the team moving out of Indy. But now when we are counting on them having a good season, there is a lot to lose. A 50 win team that has been carefully built over 3 or 4 years could fall apart.

Just some of my thoughts as a fan

Eleazar
10-31-2012, 01:54 PM
I am excited and nervous, work can't end soon enough. I am nervous for the same reasons as you, but also cause Granger is injured.

RWB
10-31-2012, 01:55 PM
Yes nervous anticipating the season starting.... not nervous because those playoff games last year and the playoff Chicago series the year before made these guys mature quicker. I don't see a slow start at all.

HickeyS2000
10-31-2012, 01:57 PM
I'm more anxious than nervous. I've been waiting for this season for a long time. If things go well and our team stays healthy, we are primed for a top 4 spot a weak eastern conference, which should be exciting. If things don't go so well and Danny is out an extended period, we get to see what we have in Paul George, which should be exciting. The only reason I would be upset is if we had our full team healthy most of the year and regress, which I don't expect. I'd proud to say I'm 0% nervous about this season. Now let's get it on!

Really?
10-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Nervous because I am not sure PG will improve to the level that this team needs him too. I am also nervous to see who our leader will be with Granger out.

Trader Joe
10-31-2012, 02:02 PM
I just wish this second opinion would be done already.

naptownmenace
I'm not as worried because I expect to see marked improvement in the games of Hill, George, and David West. If these three can improve on the production they provided last year, I think they'll be very good. Green and Mahinmi are light years better than Dhantay Jones and Lou Amundson so the Pacers won't see opposing teams erase their first quarter leads as often as they did last year.

Hibbert just needs to be The same 13 ppg, 10 Rebs, and 3 blks per game scorer he was during the playoffs and they'll be just fine. They'll struggle with Miami and Boston but most teams in the league will. I still think they'll be a an exciting team at the top of the Eastern Conference, no worse than a 4 seed with the potential to be as high as a #2.

pacers74
I wasn't too nervous until the news came out about Granger. Hopefully he will be be soon and Hopefully Green is ready to step into the starting position.

Mac_Daddy
10-31-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm not too worried. Excited to see how the newbies will fit in and see who steps it up a bit to cover for Danny while he is out. I didn't get a chance to watch any preseason, so I'm going in blind.

Aw Heck
10-31-2012, 03:08 PM
I'm not nervous about this season. I have no doubt that barring any catastrophic injuries to multiple starters, the Pacers will be a playoff team.

What I am nervous about is the Pacers' future beyond this season, especially as it concerns the starting PF and SF positions. I'm also not sold on George Hill as a long-term PG solution.

Ace E.Anderson
10-31-2012, 03:28 PM
Like most posters have said, I'm more anxious as opposed to nervous. If DG is out an extended period of time, this is the year we find out what we really have in our young core of vets (Hill, George, Hibbert, Mahinmi, Green, and even Lance to some extent). I'm not worried about West, he's a true vet and will step up.

I expect some ups, and some downs, but if these young guys can come together and play past expectations, this could be the first season that we move in the direction to going to that elusive NEXT level that teams like the Hawks, and the baby bulls (pre-Rose) were never able to find. If not, then we'll be able to figure out where exactly we need to make moves moving forward.

McKeyFan
10-31-2012, 03:35 PM
I don't intend to bring any real analysis to this thread, more just what you are feeling as we enter a new season. I'm a little nervous.

It has been 8 years since expectations have been this high to start a season. So for the first time in 8 years I feel they have something to lose - if things don't go well it will seem a lot worse than a few seasons back when we didn't expect anything.

I think I had gotten used to watching Pacers games expecting that they would probably lose and if they won, great, if they didn't well that was to be expected. So there was nothing to be nervous about - just enjoy the games and hope for the best. Now if they lose it will hurt a lot more.

For 8 years - what was the worst that could happen? Get a high draft pick, get a coach fired, perhaps the worst thing is alwaysx the team moving out of Indy. But now when we are counting on them having a good season, there is a lot to lose. A 50 win team that has been carefully built over 3 or 4 years could fall apart.

Getting a particular coach fired was the GREATEST thing that could have happened.

Couldn't resist. But, yes, good post UB. I'm excited, not nervous. You are definitely right that for the first time in years there are actually high expectations.

I'm concerned if Granger is out for months. If just for, say, six weeks, then I actually like the idea of finding out what else we have on the roster and who has the character to step up.

ilive4sports
10-31-2012, 03:36 PM
Only thing I'm nervous about is Danny's knee. Other than that im just excited. I got big expectations but I think its gonna be a fantastic season.

dgranger17
10-31-2012, 03:38 PM
I liked it better when we weren't good. When you aren't good and you lose, it's no big deal. When you aren't good and you win, it's awesome. Now that we're good, we can't lose. This season is going to be an emotional roller coaster for me. Every play, I will be holding breath hoping we get a bucket or a stop. The entire time thinking to myself, "If we don't get a bucket or a stop, the game is over." I'm almost afraid to watch.

Same can be said about the Indiana Hoosiers.

Nuntius
10-31-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm both excited and kinda nervous. The Pacers are not dark horses anymore. I can't wait :D

Mr_Smith
10-31-2012, 03:43 PM
Slightly nervous already but even more nervous because of no Danny. As much as he's hated from time to time he's a valuable player to this team.

xtacy
10-31-2012, 03:44 PM
I don't intend to bring any real analysis to this thread, more just what you are feeling as we enter a new season. I'm a little nervous.

excited but definitely nervous. i'm a pessimistic guy and granger's injury didn't help either.

Unclebuck
10-31-2012, 03:48 PM
When I am watching a game I get more nervous when the Pacers have a 12 point lead than when they trail by 12. Nothing is more exciting than a comeback, nothing is more gut wrenching than blowing a big lead.

Nothing I hate more than when someone says this game is over when the pacers are leading by 8 with 2 minutes to go. No it is not over. (I'd rather me up 8 than down 8, but too much time left)

NapTonius Monk
10-31-2012, 03:52 PM
I'm happy, because there isn't a sense of 'Who Cares' about the team that I love! Anxious about the start of the season! Full of pride, wanting to beat down everyone who dares to overlook us!

Eddie Gill
10-31-2012, 03:59 PM
There's certainly a lot riding on this season - more than any year since 04 - but my overwhelming emotion is excitement that we're finally back to being relevant.

Edit: All this talk of a rim thief at-large has me a little nervous for non-basketball reasons.

vnzla81
10-31-2012, 04:00 PM
I'm nervous because I have a feeling that this season is not going to be as great as many expect, not only that but Danny is out now.

DaveP63
10-31-2012, 04:47 PM
Of course. I'm always nervous before the season begins, but once it gets going, I'm fine.

imawhat
10-31-2012, 05:11 PM
I'm concerned about the lack of continuity in the preseason. The 2nd unit didn't get to play together as planned, but that doesn't concern me because I don't expect full substitutions. I'm concerned about Granger's injury.

But I'm way more excited than concerned about the start of the season. I hate the offseason.

PGisthefuture
10-31-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm nervous mainly for Paul George. I know he's still young and it's only his third year, but with Danny being out I hope he doesn't fail under pressure. Overall this should be good for Paul though...

Cousy47
10-31-2012, 05:22 PM
This. I didn't get the feeling we had built any chemstry in the team. The 1st unit didn't play together much, the 2nd unit didn't play together much, the low minute fill in players didn't get hardly any run. If George Hill is back and can really run the team, we should be okay. Otherwise, we will struggle for the first 8-10 games, IMO.

Strummer
10-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Nervous? No way! Why think bad thoughts? It's going to be a great season! A million things could go wrong. But I'm not going to waste my time worrying about them.

And I'm even wearing my Pacers opening night 2007 t-shirt. It's glow in the dark, Halloween themed. I only get to wear it when we play on Halloween so it's still practically new.

NapTonius Monk
10-31-2012, 05:38 PM
I think as long as guys don't get too caught up trying to be 'The Guy' and focus more on not letting one another down, the team will be fine. We can weather Danny's absence if that happens.

rock747
10-31-2012, 05:43 PM
The thought of Granger not returning for a while makes me nervous.

Anthem
10-31-2012, 05:46 PM
I just wish this second opinion would be done already.
This. Hoping to hear about it tonight.

TMJ31
10-31-2012, 05:52 PM
I am definitely nervous. I want nothing more than for our boys to do well and prove to the rest of the league we are legit.

I'm nervous for Danny's health, having experienced a plethora of knee problems myself.

I'm nervous for all sorts of things. That comes with the territory of being un-healthily attached to a sporting franchise :)

:gopacers:

BlueNGold
10-31-2012, 06:03 PM
No nerves. I look forward to seeing some of the guys develop and Granger being gone doesn't both me. If he's back by January, that would be perfectly fine IMO.

I will be more concerned about injuries in April.