PDA

View Full Version : Tinsley at 3% body fat

90'sNBARocked
10-30-2012, 04:11 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-is-jodie-meeks-lakers-x-factor-2/

Last season, the Utah Jazz managed to finish six games over .500 and sneak into the playoffs as the eighth seed in the Western Conference. The Jazz exceeded everyone’s expectations, competing in the West despite featuring seven players under the age of 25 years old including key pieces such as Gordon Hayward, Derrick Favors, Alec Burks, and Enes Kanter.

Now, entering this season, the Jazz have added several veterans in an attempt to bolster the roster and build off of last year’s success. Utah traded for Mo Williams and Marvin Williams, signed Randy Foye and retained Jamaal Tinsley. They want to win now while they continue to develop their young talent.

Tinsley, who’s entering his second season with the Jazz and tenth year in the league, loves the moves that Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey made over the summer.

“I like these guys,” Tinsley said of Utah’s new additions. “They all understand what it takes to win. They are all threats on the wing. These guys are veterans so they know what’s expected of them in games and in practice, and they’re vocal on the court and off the court.”

Usually when a team brings in new starters, there’s a transition period. However, the Jazz haven’t had any issues integrating their new point guard and small forward. Both players are excited for the fresh start in Utah and are satisfied with their role. Mo Williams is thrilled to be a starting point guard again after coming off of the bench with the Los Angeles Clippers last season. Marvin Williams welcomed the change of scenery since he had hit a plateau with the Atlanta Hawks and didn’t get many touches playing alongside Joe Johnson, Josh Smith and Al Horford. They have meshed with their new teammates quickly and everybody understands their role entering the season.

“We have gelled already,” Tinsley said. “Everyone came into the gym ready to sacrifice and perform. We’re all looking to contribute in any way possible. We’re all excited for the upcoming season.”

Tinsley has emerged as one of Utah’s leaders. Just two years ago, Tinsley was out of the league, but now he’s become a strong presence in the locker room and an excellent glue guy for the Jazz. Even though he’s the oldest player on the active roster at 34 years old, he’s arguably the hardest worker on the team.

Tinsley came into training camp with just three percent body fat and weighing in at 186 pounds, nine fewer than last season. Tinsley has a grueling workout plan that many of his teammates have implemented. Over the offseason, the veteran point guard was running eight miles each day. During the season, he runs four miles before each game and then four more miles afterwards.

“I love getting extra work in,” Tinsley said. “It’s contagious because guys look at you and want to get better. They see how it can affect their performance on the court.”

Last year, Utah snuck into the playoffs because they played together and worked hard. With the same young core returning and several key veterans added to the mix, Tinsley believes the Jazz are headed in the right direction and poised to take the next step.

“I like who we’re becoming,” Tinsley said. “Guys come in every day ready to work. We’re ready to go.”

Peck
10-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Somewhere Jermaine O'Neal is ready to dominate and Jon Bender has never felt better.

bballpacen
10-30-2012, 04:27 PM
So we can deduce from this story that from the arena, it is exactly 4 miles from the local strip club??;)

McKeyFan
10-30-2012, 04:28 PM
The Mormons must not allow Cheetos in Utah.

MnvrChvy
10-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Good for him. For some people it takes a little bit longer to get their head on straight. I hope he has and that he can make something of what few playing years he has left. Just wish he wasn't such a knucklehead while he was here.

Larry Staverman
10-30-2012, 05:26 PM
I suppose that conditioning would make him more imposing for those late night run ins at the strip club!

CJ Jones
10-30-2012, 06:03 PM
All joking aside, that's really impressive. Still hate him, though.

BlueNGold
10-30-2012, 06:58 PM
All of you are confused. It's just a misspelling. They are talking about Jamal Tinsley, not Jamaal Tinsley.

aamcguy
10-30-2012, 07:03 PM
I love to hear it. He was my favorite Pacer for about 2 years starting about 5 games before his 23-assist total that one game or however many it was.

naptownmenace
10-30-2012, 07:43 PM
I'm glad he's working so hard. I'm also glad he's playing for the Jazz and not the Pacers.

PR07
10-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Only a decade too late....

Kid Minneapolis
10-30-2012, 07:45 PM
Good grief, 3% body fat is almost unhealthy, lol....

BobbyMac
10-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Glad he's put it together, wish he had been able to do it when he was with the Pacers.

Ramitt
10-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Not sure running 4 miles before games is a great plan.

Slick Pinkham
10-30-2012, 09:09 PM
Not sure running 4 miles before games is a great plan.

When the cops are chasing you, then you do what you have to do.

immortality
10-30-2012, 10:08 PM
When the cops are chasing you, then you do what you have to do.

loled

graphic-er
10-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Tinsley is one of the reasons i've said in the past that Hayward is going to have a better season than Paul George. He is gonna be dropping sweet dimes to Gordon all year long.

Brad8888
10-30-2012, 10:38 PM
It appears that good Tinsley may be about to return to the league. If so, Utah has improved, possibly significantly.

jeffg-body
10-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Good for him that he might have finally got his act together. Imagine if he would have gotten it together 7 years or so and could have been an all star caliber PG in his prime.

Trader Joe
10-31-2012, 12:01 AM
Tinsley is 34 years old and hasn't been anything remotely close to an impactful NBA player in over half a decade. I really doubt the Jazz or Gordon Hayward are going to be affected that much by what he does one way or the other.

Phree Refill
10-31-2012, 10:49 AM
I would be more inclined to buy this story if I hadn't already read it half a dozen times from Conrad Brunner before every pacers training camp started while Tinsley was here.

Naptown_Seth
10-31-2012, 10:58 AM
[massive bitterness]Now that he doesn't have that hack idiot Carlisle holding him back the sky's the limit.

Ron, JO, Tinsley and Al sure proved that they were right about Rick. What's he done since then compared to the greatness they achieved as a group. Sure was smart for Larry to stick with JO/Tinsley over Rick.[\massivebitterness]*

*tagging out the bitterness isn't realistic, I'll never be out of that mode on this subject

Brad8888
10-31-2012, 11:14 AM
[massive bitterness]Now that he doesn't have that hack idiot Carlisle holding him back the sky's the limit.

Ron, JO, Tinsley and Al sure proved that they were right about Rick. What's he done since then compared to the greatness they achieved as a group. Sure was smart for Larry to stick with JO/Tinsley over Rick.[\massivebitterness]*

*tagging out the bitterness isn't realistic, I'll never be out of that mode on this subject

:D

:buddies:

beast23
10-31-2012, 03:13 PM
Wow. Now there's a dude that has to seriously be missing his hot dogs.

Ragnar
10-31-2012, 03:49 PM
It's no secret that I am a huge Tinsley fan but it's frustrating seeing him do this on another team.

Evan_The_Dude
10-31-2012, 04:08 PM
Nice. But he still can't shoot worth a damn.