PDA

View Full Version : What's your line in the sand?

Peck
10-29-2012, 11:51 PM
What will it take for this season to be either a success or a failure?

In other words what would it take for you to walk away from the season being very dissapointed or very happy?

Obviously a title would make everyone, well almost everyone, happy.

But what short of that will make you happy but don't stop there let me know what would make you shake your head in disgust as well.

rel
10-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Very Happy - Get to ECF
Disappointed - First round exit

...I'm content with anything in between

Richard_Skull
10-29-2012, 11:58 PM
Happy- A competitive ECF match. Top 2 seed

Disgusted- first round loss. 5th seed or lower.

Jose Slaughter
10-29-2012, 11:58 PM
Happy = making it to the ECF

Unhappy = losing in the 1st round

PGisthefuture
10-30-2012, 12:01 AM
It would be nice to have a 50+ win season, but it isn't a necessity as long as we do good in the post-season. I think the second round is fair enough to be expected from this team and anything below that is a disappointment in my eyes.

I would shake my head in disgust if we go .500.

pizza guy
10-30-2012, 12:03 AM
I think taking the next step, reaching the ECF, will make it a successful season. Of course, falling short of a Championship will sting, but overall, I think just taking the next step will leave me with a good feeling. After this season, falling short will mean some pretty tough questions. Things like David West's expiring contract, Danny Granger's health, Paul George's emergence (or lack of), and probably more, will have to be answered. Of course, if we win it all, those questions get to be a lot easier to answer.

I think for this season to be a failure, we would have to do worse than last year. Anything less than a strong second round, 6 or 7 games, would be a definite failure. I would like to see us win the division as a flag-in-the-ground statement that we're a force to be reckoned with and we have returned to prominence. Not winning the division would be a disappointment, especially with DRose out.

mattie
10-30-2012, 12:05 AM
Anything less than an ECF appearance.

I have predicted that I think Boston will be better but it would still be a disappointment if the Pacers lost. I've made my predictions, but I'm still crossing my fingers that certain players make improvements and cause the Pacers to go to the next level.

Can Roy get better?
Can Paul make a huge jump?

I hope. (but doubt it)

rexnom
10-30-2012, 12:18 AM
No reason for us not to be in the ECF. That would also make me happy enough. Anything less is disappointing. Unless we have one of those ultra-competitive seven game series with Boston in which half of each team is decimated.

Less than 50 wins and/or a first round exit would be disgusting.

rabid
10-30-2012, 12:33 AM
Very happy - a competitive ECF series OR a victory over a healthy Heat squad in the playoffs. Continued improvement from PG and/or Hibbert.

Disappointed - anything less than a very competitive 2nd round series (along with the above player improvement). Steps backward for PG, Hibbert, or Hill would not be great to see either.

Heisenberg
10-30-2012, 12:38 AM
Being knocked out by someone not named Boston or Miami and in an extremely competitive series would very much make me reevaluate the direction I want the franchise to go. Especially if it were a team like the Knicks. Even Boston would have me teetering.

15th parallel
10-30-2012, 12:54 AM
For me, I'm happy if they can exceed what they did last year. In short, an ECF appearance or higher. Anything less will be disappointing. They only made improvements in the offseason, so we should expect an improved outcome, right?

Heisenberg
10-30-2012, 12:55 AM
Predicting the round doesn't really work, far too many variables. It's who they win/lose against, not when. We meet Miami in the 2nd round again and lose in 7 we're going to call that a disappointment?

CableKC
10-30-2012, 01:42 AM
What would make me extremely happy? A Championship
What would make me happy? A trip to the ECF
What would make me satisfied ( while meeting expectations )? A very competitive 2nd Round Playoff appearance
What would make me mildly satisfied ( but disappointed )? A loss in the 2nd Round of the Playoffs ( similar to how we played and lost in Game 4, 5 and 6 against the Heat )
What would make me disappointed? A loss in the 1st round or worse

CableKC
10-30-2012, 01:51 AM
Predicting the round doesn't really work, far too many variables. It's who they win/lose against, not when. We meet Miami in the 2nd round again and lose in 7 we're going to call that a disappointment?
If we make it to a game 7 in the 2nd round...that would meant that we were competitive against an Elite Team. I am okay with this...cuz this means that we took the Champions to the brink of elimination in the 2nd round.

I expect that we should get back to where we were last season.....a 2nd round playoff berth is what I fully expect.....how we do in the 2nd round will show me how well or bad we do.

If we play like we played in Game 1 to 3 in the 2nd round of the Playoffs for an entire series against an Elite Team.....and even lose the Series....that's what I want ( at a minimum ). This shows that we are able to "hang with the big Boys" and be considered a true "2nd Tier" team.

But if we play like we played in Game 4 to 6 in the 2nd round of the Playoffs for an entire series against an Elite Team....where the Heat were able to show us that we were clearly not in the same league as an Elite Team.....then I'd be disappointed. This would show me that we are still "pretenders".

Hypnotiq
10-30-2012, 03:15 AM
Seems that everyone agrees we should be aiming for ECF anything less is a disappointment

Miller_time04
10-30-2012, 04:08 AM
ECF or bust.

D-BONE
10-30-2012, 04:25 AM
In perhaps a rather strange development, I'm finding this question difficult to answer.

You'd think there are obviously indicators as to what we should be looking for in terms of progress. Simply put, on an individual level our guys mostly live up to last year, but with a few notable jumps (maybe Paul and Roy to a slightly lesser degree). Then establish good chemistry, have a solidly over .500 year, and hopefully no less that a strong second round showing against an upper echelon EC foe.

However, I find myself just a little uneasy about this year for some reason. Yes, there just nervous energy and excitement to get the show on the road. Yet, there's this persistent sense I've got that this year will throw some growing pains and challenges at us that will test all our mettle.

duke dynamite
10-30-2012, 07:33 AM
Wow, a lot of you guys will be disappointed if an ECF birth is what you're aiming for.

WHY?

I hope for a long and healthy season. I want consistency and good shot selection.

I need to see the bench not be a big gaping hole when it comes to scoring, especially when the starters have built a decent-sized lead. I need to see better post opportunities for our bigs. (Which will be there, no doubt.)

I want a focused Roy. We're paying him a lot of money.

I want to expect David West to sign a 1 or 2-year extension, because if he doesn't we have nothing for next year.

Paul George needs to step up. Less flash, more finish. No need to go into detail. He's supposed to be the best player out of his draft this year, according to "prophecy".

I want to see George Hill create more for Paul and Danny. Speaking of Danny, I don't want to see him lead the team in scoring. Not due to injury or production, but because of what I said about Paul George.

I hope that we take advantage of Derrick Rose's injury and not necessarily run away with the Central Division, but not put us in a position where we will just coast and we fall flat on our faces.

I want to see DJ Augustin take advantage of his new surroundings. I want higher assist numbers.

Ian Mahinmi is going to be the X-Factor on this team.

Tyler needs to finish at the rim. He gets to the foul line a TON. He's missed a lot of free-throws after getting fouled, and I'd like to see that number go up.

Gerald Green needs to be someone who can score at will if we need it. He'll be in late when we need a quick three, but I don't want his only skill to be his jumping ability.

Lance needs to get it out of his head that this is Rucker Park.

A failure would be to take what we did last year and expect it to be handed to us this year.

Pacergeek
10-30-2012, 08:03 AM
Happy- world champions. After proving we can hang with Miami, nothing less is acceptable

unhappy- not winning a championship

Trader Joe
10-30-2012, 08:04 AM
Losing to anyone not named Miami or Boston in the playoffs is probably going to be a disappointment for me. (in the East at least, though I think if by some act of God we were able to get by Miami there is no reason we couldn't beat the Lakers or Thunder.)

OlBlu
10-30-2012, 08:06 AM
What will it take for this season to be either a success or a failure?

In other words what would it take for you to walk away from the season being very dissapointed or very happy?

But what short of that will make you happy but don't stop there let me know what would make you shake your head in disgust as well.

I think the best this group can do is wine 50+ games and win a round in the playoffs so I will be happy if they accomplish that. We need to add a starter and more important a star to move much more.

I won't be disgusted with them over anything but I would be disappointed if they slid back to 44 wins and 6th in the east and lost in the first round of the playoffs.....:cool:

OlBlu
10-30-2012, 08:08 AM
Losing to anyone not named Miami or Boston in the playoffs is probably going to be a disappointment for me. (in the East at least, though I think if by some act of God we were able to get by Miami there is no reason we couldn't beat the Lakers or Thunder.)

Usually you stay pretty solid but thinking the Pacers could beat the Lakers or the Thunder in the finals or even get there is way out there.....:cool:

hackashaq
10-30-2012, 08:11 AM
very happy - we get the Heat to 6 games again. Only this time they are healthy and have no excuses. And of course that's at least round 2.

disgust - Danny's issues are serious, West takes a step back, bench struggles, PG and Hibbert are exactly the same players and we are a .500 team.

Unclebuck
10-30-2012, 08:23 AM
I guess I am expecting/hoping to advance to the ECF. I guess I am expecting/hoping the Pacers can and will beat any eastern conference team besides the Heat. If the pacers get to the ECF and lose to the Heat I will be OK.

But there are so many variables that could disrupt what I am expectiung and hoping for.

Cousy47
10-30-2012, 08:24 AM
ECF would be really happy making. That would also require the starters to stay healthy and the 2nd unit to gell quickly and become a unit that can score at least enough to keep the leads the starters get. It also requires the 2nd unit to bail out the Starters when they have let downs(and they will) Failing to make the playoffs would make me question the direction of the team. I really want to see the Ps win the Division whether or not DRose comes back. We must find a way to compete with the Bulls and Heat on a regular basis.

Sparhawk
10-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Would love ECF. Without the Bulls, it should be Miami and Indiana as the 1 and 2 spot.

Injuries are gonna be key though. Healthy most of last season. Hill and Granger are already dinged up. Not a good sign. Just gotta hope that bench really steps up.

Anything below 5th seed would be terrible. Not making the playoffs is unfathomable.

aamcguy
10-30-2012, 08:54 AM
Honestly, I just love watching this team play. I will be happy as long as they don't completely underwhelm and have a .500 season or something.

MnvrChvy
10-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Most people seem to be on the same page as I am on this topic. I'll add one thing. I want to see some coherent offensive/defensive schemes put in place. It seemed last year, we either looked great or we looked abysmal. Even in some games we won, it looked like we didn't deserve it. As much as I love Vogel, he's still a newby and got out-coached in a lot of games. I'm hoping for as big a jump from him as I expect out of George. On that regard I'm ecstatic that they were able to keep all three assistant coaches in place.

BillS
10-30-2012, 09:02 AM
ECF is the goal. That or higher would be considered a completely successful season.

I would not be disappointed, however, unless we fail to show any improvement whatsoever over last year or even regress. If other teams get the book on us and are able to shut us down, there will be some coaching questions to answer. If certain players clearly plateau, there will be some lineup questions.

If we lose but lose because we are doing things differently in order to try to take the next step, I'm OK with that at a certain level.

I'd also consider the season a success if we sell out at least one non-playoff home game NOT against a Hype team (other than opening night).

BornReady
10-30-2012, 09:04 AM
hah hah hah sand. sandy. sand. ok I digress -.-

vnzla81
10-30-2012, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE=Peck;1516801]What will it take for this season to be either a success or a failure?

A success? ECF/NBA Finals, and a failure? not getting out of the 1st round.

I'll be dissapointed if they don't make it out of the 1st round and I'll be happy if they at least make it to the ECF and play how they are supposed to play(I don't expect that to happen anyway)

I'm going to be disgusted if the Pacers don't make it pass the 1st round, if Danny keeps sucking, if the bench "upgrade" was fake and didn't help, if Tyler keeps playing bad, if West's defense and rebounding doesn't get better, if the point guards after training camp still don't know how to feed the post, if after training camp the Pacers bigs still don't know how set a good screen, I think I'm done :)

Trader Joe
10-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Usually you stay pretty solid but thinking the Pacers could beat the Lakers or the Thunder in the finals or even get there is way out there.....:cool:

I said if by some act of God we are able to get by Miami...Not "We're going to definitely beat Miami and then pound the Lakers or Thunder.

Trophy
10-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Given everyone stays healthy and all goes well, with the improvements to the bench, I expect a trip to the ECF. Of course winning it all is what we're gunning for.

This team is better than most in the league and again, with solid depth as well as great chemistry between all positions, we can make a deep run and contend.

It's going to be a great season for us and the NBA in general. A lot of young, new teams on the rise.

Here's to good health and a good season! :buddies:

Pacergeek
10-30-2012, 09:49 AM
why is everybody happy with an ECF appearance? Miami vs Indiana was the real ECF last year. If it wasn't for the outdated playoff format where they don't re-seed, Indiana would have clearly advanced to the ECF.

Steagles
10-30-2012, 10:00 AM
I'd be happy with beating Chicago in the central and competing (at least 6 games) in the ECF

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk

HC
10-30-2012, 10:04 AM
The single, most important factor imo is Paul George. While we would be a solid team without him, how much he progresses takes this team to the next level imo. As long as we compete and play hard night in and night out then I won't be disappointed by any final outcome. Even if we lose in first round I will be happy as long as the effort is there. Of course I wanna win a title, but as long as the team continues to play hard and improve I'm happy.

OlBlu
10-30-2012, 10:10 AM
I said if by some act of God we are able to get by Miami...Not "We're going to definitely beat Miami and then pound the Lakers or Thunder.

So you did.....:cool:

OlBlu
10-30-2012, 10:11 AM
why is everybody happy with an ECF appearance? Miami vs Indiana was the real ECF last year. If it wasn't for the outdated playoff format where they don't re-seed, Indiana would have clearly advanced to the ECF.

It is fine to be excited but the Pacers were lucky that Orlando didn't have their superstar. If they had, the Pacers would have lost in the first round.....:cool:

Pacer Fan
10-30-2012, 10:17 AM
I hope Danny and others stay healthy for the most part of the season and playoffs, if so, I should be a very happy Pacers fan cause they won't disappoint.

Peck
10-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Well my line in the sand may have just been moved on me.

mattie
10-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Wow, a lot of you guys will be disappointed if an ECF birth is what you're aiming for.

Well that is redundant.

Sparhawk
10-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Given everyone stays healthy and all goes well, with the improvements to the bench, I expect a trip to the ECF. Of course winning it all is what we're gunning for.

Whoops. Grangers' knee needs a second opinion on that.

Trader Joe
10-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Time to just toss Paul George into the deep end and see if he can swim. If he can, I still have high hopes for the season.

Trophy
10-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Whoops. Grangers' knee needs a second opinion on that.

It sucks he's out for however long, but we shouldn't miss much of a beat as Paul and Gerald should fill in very well.

idioteque
10-30-2012, 11:15 AM
I am never satisfied with anything less than a championship, although realistically I would be happy with the second seed which would enable us to avoid Miami until the ECF. It always burns to lose in the playoffs though no matter if it happens year after year. The only years where I didn't give a **** at the end of season were the years we didn't make the playoffs.

Pacer624
10-30-2012, 11:18 AM
Happy- EC Finals
Unhappy- 1st Round Exit

MTM
10-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Very Happy - Get to ECF
Disappointed - First round exit

...I'm content with anything in between

Agree - hoping to get to the ECF this year, but expecting another 2nd round exit.

CableKC
10-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Seems that everyone agrees we should be aiming for ECF anything less is a disappointment
Let's be realistic about this.....we are in the East....the land of the super Teams with Boston, NY, Brooklyn, Miami and Chicago. Granted....there are factors that will likely affect those Eastern Conference Super teams.....like age ( Boston ), chemistry ( Brooklyn ) and injury concerns ( NY and Chicago )....but the reality is that there are many Teams that are as good as us ( or even better ) that can advance to the ECF that we will likely have to go through in order to get to the ECF.

I can see that Expectations are high for us this season since the Team has taken a logical progression from going to the Playoffs to making it to the 2nd round.....but given the challenges that we face both internally ( simply remaining healthy ) and externally ( playing in a Conference with many "2nd Tier Teams" )....I would love for us to make to the ECF or beyond....but the path to the ECF is going to be hard. I mentioned in my post.....a very competitive 2nd round exit would be my minimal expectation but not a disappointment if we have a very hard fought 6-7 round 2nd Round Playoff exit against any of these Teams.

Unclebuck
10-30-2012, 01:22 PM
In your predictions you need to factor in some injuries. There is no such thing as "if everyone stays healthy" that has never happened in the history of sports. Last year Pacers had about as few injuries as you could ever have.

vnzla81
10-30-2012, 01:24 PM
In your predictions you need to factor in some injuries. There is no such thing as "if everyone stays healthy" that has never happened in the history of sports. Last year Pacers had about as few injuries as you could ever have.

So your prediction is that somebody is going to get injured? I don't think is a prediction if that has already happened ;)

Major Cold
10-30-2012, 01:31 PM
I have an expectation that without Danny at all this season we are a 5-8 seed that has a 35% chance of making it into the second round.

If Danny is limited even in the playoffs I say we are a 4-8 seed and a 65% chance of making it into the playoffs.

If Danny averages what he did last year going into the playoffs then I say we have a 65% chance of going into the ECF.

So if we make it into the ECFs I will be thrilled. I expect us to win the division, home court advantage in the opening round. And at the least make it a competitive 2nd round series.

Unclebuck
10-30-2012, 01:35 PM
I have an expectation that without Danny at all this season we are a 5-8 seed that has a 35% chance of making it into the second round.

If Danny is limited even in the playoffs I say we are a 4-8 seed and a 65% chance of making it into the playoffs.

If Danny averages what he did last year going into the playoffs then I say we have a 65% chance of going into the ECF.

So if we make it into the ECFs I will be thrilled. I expect us to win the division, home court advantage in the opening round. And at the least make it a competitive 2nd round series.

I can agree with you. IN the playoffs you cannot overcome injuries. In the regular season effort, teamwork can get you by, but the playoffs you need your best players.

Mackey_Rose
10-30-2012, 01:44 PM
The only way this season (and the near future) has a chance to be considered a success, is if Paul George becomes this team's clear best player.

If he doesn't, we're the Hawks.

Unclebuck
10-30-2012, 01:46 PM
The only way this season (and the near future) has a chance to be considered a success, is if Paul George becomes this team's clear best player.

If he doesn't, we're the Hawks.

I don't think it can or will happen this season. Just too soon. In theory it might happen in the future, but he isn't ready to become that this season.

Mackey_Rose
10-30-2012, 01:53 PM
I don't think it can or will happen this season. Just too soon. In theory it might happen in the future, but he isn't ready to become that this season.

If that is the case, this season is a wash. We'll be a good team, not even close to contending for a title. That's what we are until we get a better, best player.

vnzla81
10-30-2012, 02:05 PM
If that is the case, this season is a wash. We'll be a good team, not even close to contending for a title. That's what we are until we get a better, best player.

And I hope we are not looking at a Mike Dunleavy/Troy Murphy/JO/Ford/Tinsley situation all over again with Danny and everybody waiting for that contract to expire so they can "finally do something". :pray:

Unclebuck
10-30-2012, 02:07 PM

I certainly agree with you. But I still enjoy the season regardless

Ragnar
10-30-2012, 02:36 PM
It looks like a lot of people want ECF and would be disappointed by a 1st round exit.

As Pacers fans we have been here before we have seen a team take the leap and that team went on to be competitive for a very long time. I hope we are headed back into perennial title contender territory again, that being said it sure would be nice to win the whole thing some time.