PDA

View Full Version : Ron Artest- Is he as bad as his image?

brichard
11-26-2004, 08:58 PM
As I post this thread, I go into it not really knowing the answer to my own question. However, I am curious about some kind of thread showing Ron's "past behavior."

Before this incident, most of the things I know about Ron fall into 1 of 2 categories:

1. Hard Fouls- Ron has been know to give some hard fouls ala the Bad Boys. However, I don't think he ever really intends to hurt a player, but he does want you to "feel it." All NBA teams have a guy to do that, and Ron is our enforcer. This is the Category where I think most of Ron's fame comes from, but alot of his hard fouls get more attention (like the one on Wallace) simply b/c he is Ron Artest. The only cheap shot I've seen him give is the bop to Rip Hamilton last year. (But I think Rip hit Ron in the nuts the time before going down court.)

2. Destructive behavior- He broke a camera, he broke glass somewhere??? Just child like behavior in the vein of a John McEnroe.

Now what I rarely see Ron involved in is this:

3. Fights- Fights with players and/or fans. I've seen the double-flip, but never even really a heated argument with fans. The only person I've seen him shove is coach Mel Daniels. A poor choice, but it was something that was "in house."

Is there more that I am missing? I say this in all sincerity, b/c I really am curious. Perhaps Ron's history is much more severe than what I recall.

With Bill Laimbeer, Larry Bird was quoted in one of his books as saying "he is the only player I can think of that I really thought was trying to injure me." Barkley seems to me to be a player who was much more volatile on and off the court, Rodman and Laimbeer were, and even the Mailman and his infamous elbow to Isiah Thomas seem to make Artests antics that I can remember, pale in comparison.

3Ball
11-26-2004, 09:45 PM
On the other hand, can you think of anyone TODAY in the NBA with as bad a reputation for violent misbehavior as Ronnie? Every one of the players that you mentioned is retired. Even the Mailman is likely done. Sometimes we think of pro sports as getting more violent. But on the court, things are much less violent than just about any previous decade.

brichard
11-26-2004, 11:59 PM
On the other hand, can you think of anyone TODAY in the NBA with as bad a reputation for violent misbehavior as Ronnie? Every one of the players that you mentioned is retired. Even the Mailman is likely done. Sometimes we think of pro sports as getting more violent. But on the court, things are much less violent than just about any previous decade.

I am probably not as up to date on the NBA as I should be, but Rasheed Wallace is the first guy to pop in my mind. From what I understand he pretty much stalked some referees, so he certainly has had the propensity to go off the deep end.

I agree with your thoughts though. It seems to me like there used to be many more fights at least in the NBA. It seems that it is the fan world (guy that attacked base coach, fan that stabbed Seles) that has continued to spiral out of control.

Unclebuck
11-27-2004, 12:07 AM
No one could be as bad as Artest's image right now. No one

beast23
11-27-2004, 12:39 AM
The word "violent" was used above.

To me, violence means really bad behavior towards another human being.

I was classify Ron's previous behavior as "destructive", not "violent". Until the Pistons game, his sports-related anger had resulted in assaults on "things", not "humans".

But I don't think that distinction has mattered in determining his image. But now he seems to have progressed to taking his anger out on people.