PDA

View Full Version : $8M Available to the Pacers - THIS IS HUGE

Los Angeles
11-26-2004, 06:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=1932311

I don't really have commentary, just thought everyone would be interested in this.

So how would you spend it?

stipo
11-26-2004, 06:35 PM
The only place I can think of to spend this is on are players from European leagues that we can steal.

canyoufeelit
11-26-2004, 06:40 PM
Save it and try to use said money to frontload a contract for Michael Redd?

Los Angeles
11-26-2004, 06:41 PM
The only place I can think of to spend this is on are players from European leagues that we can steal.

This is only available to the end of this season, and any money spent would count against the salary cap, so we need to find someone who only wants a short-term deal for big bucks. As well as the remaining guys are playing, I almost hate to mess with the roster too much.

Looks like it might be a big christmas at the Simon house this year. ;)

ABADays
11-26-2004, 06:51 PM
When isn't it a big Christmas at the Simons :laugh:

PacerFan31
11-26-2004, 06:54 PM

That sounds good

LouisvilleLip
11-26-2004, 07:40 PM
Just because we got 8 million back doesn't mean we will use any of it. Next season we will still be paying all of those guys plus more because there salaries will increase. Don't expect anything.

Bball
11-26-2004, 07:50 PM
I think the bottom line for the Pacers just increased about 8 million dollars. I seriously doubt this get applied anywhere except to the Pacer balance sheet. If anything- management and ownership will see it as a way to minimize any potential losses this season from attendance (due to missing players), swag sales, and as a hedge against a potential shortened playoff run.

-Bball

Eindar
11-26-2004, 10:07 PM
I think the bottom line for the Pacers just increased about 8 million dollars. I seriously doubt this get applied anywhere except to the Pacer balance sheet. If anything- management and ownership will see it as a way to minimize any potential losses this season from attendance (due to missing players), swag sales, and as a hedge against a potential shortened playoff run.

-Bball

So far, attendance has been UP, not down :D

3Ball
11-26-2004, 10:40 PM
I'd be willing to bet that Artest jersey's have doubled in volume for the last week.

Jose Slaughter
11-27-2004, 01:02 AM
I'd wait to see if Zo can work out a buy out.

PaceBalls
11-27-2004, 01:05 AM

Isn't Fred Jones almost the exact same type of player as Michael Redd? I would rather see another really good PF.

beast23
11-27-2004, 01:32 AM
It's $8M, but Bball is correct. The only place it can go is in black ink applied to the bottom line.

Even reducing our payroll by $8M, we are still over the SALARY cap. The only difference is the we will be nowhere close to being in LUXURY tax land.

So we can't just go out and shell out $8M for a player and say welcome aboard.

The only thing we can do is to sign a player for whatever minimums apply or for whatever portion of the mid-level exception that we might have left.

So the team is playing inspired ball and the fans love it. And we continue to win. That means just as many fans, if not more, in the seats. Sounds like this will be a profitable season for the owners.

wintermute
11-27-2004, 07:12 AM
seems to me that a great way for ownership to use that money is to provide fans with big discounts on tickets for certain games in the regular season or even during the playoffs. a sort of "thank you" for the great support.

indygeezer
11-27-2004, 07:33 AM
Taking the totally negative view of this, it would be a great incentive for the P's mgmnt NOT to persue arbitration or take an appeal to the Board of Governors. I mean, the bottom line IS the bottom line. But I don't REALLY expect the Simon's to be THAT mercenary about this.

I think the money given to the league and to eventually go to charities should be used for LOCAL charities. It's Indy money so it should go to do good things here and not be used for local charities in New York or some such. I could even see some of it going to charities in Detroit since that is where the brawl occured...just not the coast teams.

<edit> A question occurs to mind from this. Do the players have to pay income taxes on the money since they never receive it? They are suspended WITHOUT PAY. So, if they don't receive the money do they pay tax on it? That would mean less Federal and State tax being paid (yeah they are sheltered but not 100%) In these times the State of Indiana needs every $200,000. it can get.

ROCislandWarrior
11-27-2004, 01:46 PM
Isn't Fred Jones almost the exact same type of player as Michael Redd? I would rather see another really good PF.

NO!

Redd is a dead eye from long range. Fred is a way better athlete with better defense, better driving ability and a way better dunker. Fred is not the shooter that Redd is...yet!

Los Angeles
11-27-2004, 03:11 PM
A question occurs to mind from this. Do the players have to pay income taxes on the money since they never receive it? They are suspended WITHOUT PAY. So, if they don't receive the money do they pay tax on it? That would mean less Federal and State tax being paid (yeah they are sheltered but not 100%) In these times the State of Indiana needs every $200,000. it can get.
First rule of taxes: If you don't get a check, you don't pay the tax. This is yet another way the state is getting hurt by all of this. The city doesn't really get hurt from the tax dollar angle because - if I recall correctly - the city of indy doesn't have local income tax.

Bball
11-27-2004, 03:24 PM
One thing that seems to be getting 'mangled' in the discussions....
I don't think the Pacers have any say on the appeals process. It is not the team's call. It would be between players, the union, and the league.

I would think the team's only recourse would be thru the courts and I'm not 100% sure their NBA agreement doesn't block that route. That is not saying they couldn't do it anyway (at some potential peril).

Therefore, the only place the Pacers might help is to use back channels and make it known that if some/all of the suspensions are reduced they would do something themselves that the league might like. Example: You reduce JO's suspension, possibly Sjax, and our lawyers tell us we can void Artest's contract.

Or maybe they simply offer to drop the public support for Artest.

But, AFAIK the Pacers have no bearing on the appeals process. Someone will correct me if I am wrong ....

-Bball

Eindar
11-27-2004, 05:05 PM
The owners can submit an appeal to the league Board of Governors, which is essentially a board of directors, I assume. It's never been done in NBA history, however. Let's just hope that Stern isn't also chairman of the board.

indygeezer
11-27-2004, 11:56 PM
The owners can submit an appeal to the league Board of Governors, which is essentially a board of directors, I assume. It's never been done in NBA history, however. Let's just hope that Stern isn't also chairman of the board.

No, they essentially are going above the head of Commish when they do this. The PAcres are part owner of the league...as such, David Stern is their employee. They would be going over the CEO's head to the "Board of Directors".

THey can also go the Federal Court route, although I doubt this would work. But their claim might be that he oversteped his responsiblitiy and they were financially hrmed by his actions.