PDA

View Full Version : We ARE going to come down to earth.

PacerMan
11-26-2004, 04:31 PM
I'm loving what I'm seeing just like most Pacer fans. TEAM is a beautiful thing at any level.
The guys are working their butts off and have JUST enough talent to sneak by some teams that they shouldn't.
BUT
Teams are going to stop taking us for granted,(as in right now I figure) and start figuring out how to defend our new lineups.
If you read the MN papers their coach said that was the low point of their season. "like they sleep walked through the game" was one description.
So we are going to get knocked around some. Maybe lose 5 or 6 in row as the guys wear down.
Bender could be a real difference with some paint scoring. How long does he have to be out?
I hope that everyone will stay on the bandwagon when we lose a few in a row. I think these guys will always play hard.
But there will be nights when the talent just isn't enough to beat the better teams.
I think when Jermaine and Jackson come back we are going to be nasty to play.
Even without RA.
JMO

JOneal7
11-26-2004, 04:38 PM
why did you have to post this right before a game against the bobcats of all people? we are all riding high after a huge upset and you make it a point to remind us that we WILL go on a 5-6 game losing streak? that's not cool at all man. WE WON'T come back to earth...not tonight anyways...
just let us enjoy this...

Hicks
11-26-2004, 04:40 PM
Aside from maybe the 3 point accuracy, I don't expect much of a fall, if at all. We're winning because we're playing great team basketball, not because we're playing over our heads. I think Conrad Brunner describes it splendidly today in the Q&A on Pacers.com:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_041126.html

Q. Is it me or is the team, as currently assembled, playing better basketball? By "better basketball," I mean that they are making the extra pass and actually moving without the ball. Reggie Miller and Rip Hamilton aside, so few players, let alone teams, run any sort of motion at all. If nothing else, it is refreshing to see. (From Kevin in Winston-Salem, NC)

A. For the past three games, the same thought has been bouncing around in my head: this is like watching the Athens Olympics, or the 2002 World Basketball Championship, with the Pacers cast in the role of overachieving international underdogs. How did Argentina, Spain, Puerto Rico and others beat the far more talented U.S. team laden with NBA stars? The same way the current Pacers are competing with their far more talented opponents. They're playing better basketball.

The ball is moving. Players are moving. Both sides of the floor are being used. Players that can drive are driving. Players that can shoot are shooting. Everyone seems to completely understand their limitations and strengths. Defensively, it's been a matter of swarm and scramble, collapse and crash the boards. They're daring teams to beat them from the perimeter, and it isn't happening. Sound familiar? Beyond that, they're playing with a level of hustle, aggression and passion that is necessary, if a team is to become more than the sum of its parts.

In 20 years of covering this league, I can't remember enjoying any games more than I've enjoyed watching the Pacers these past three home games. And I'm not alone. On the way to the game last night, my daughter and her friend were somewhat upset that they were wasting their time because there was nobody to watch in the absence of all the suspended stars. On the way home, both had turned 180 degrees and admitted they loved what they saw. They came to see players and instead saw a team.

Dr Huxtable
11-26-2004, 04:41 PM
Why can't people actually think that we actually are this good?

PacerMan
11-26-2004, 04:54 PM
Why can't people actually think that we actually are this good?

Post it 20 games from now. :)

ABADays
11-26-2004, 05:11 PM
As I said in another thread, it seems like we are playing a game our opponents don't recognize. Look, things will level off - they always do. But THIS team is capable of playing .500 ball. The basketball is that good.

canyoufeelit
11-26-2004, 05:26 PM
We're playing "Euroball". Pretty much everyone except Freddie - but what he's doing is awesome too :cool:

I wish we could find some way to integrate JO and Jax into this offense. Maybe Ron being gone is a good thing because he goes one-on-one the most of any of our players

SoupIsGood
11-26-2004, 05:49 PM
Euroball was pretty damn affective against the USA NBA Star team. Maybe we should keep with it.

I'm sorry, but I think we ARE this good, besides the three point shooting, that will dip. We will play at least .500 ball.

canyoufeelit
11-26-2004, 05:51 PM
But look who is shooting the 3 pointers: Austin (excellent shooter), JJ (excellent shooter), Jamaal (improved), Fred (improved)

It may fluctuate but not by much.

MistyRo76
11-26-2004, 05:55 PM
All we can ask for is for the Pacers to win the games they are supposed to win (i.e. tonight against the Bobcats) and get a couple of wins against teams that on paper should beat us (Timberwolves last night). We should have no problems playing at least .500 ball until Jermaine and Jax come back.

Suaveness
11-26-2004, 06:13 PM
I do not think this team is overachieving, but I am curious to see how we will play on the road. It will be fun.

This team is playing fundamentally sound basketball, and if you play like that, it is fantastic. No teams play like that, and it showed when the US lost in the Olympics. That is why we are playing well, not because we are overachieving.

3Ball
11-26-2004, 06:32 PM
I agree with JONeal7! I'm loving the positive vibe with the team and on this board. Cool cynicism have NO place here right now. Save it. It's almost like our good karma being put out my 5 million Pacer fans are pushing our guys on. We weren't SUPPOSED to win the last couple of games. Can't we just believe in Santa for a while and enjoy it while it lasts?...

indytoad
11-26-2004, 11:02 PM
The thing I'm really worried about right now is that this team will probably forget all about what they're doing now to win once JO and Jax come back.

IndyToad
Really explodes

JOneal7
11-26-2004, 11:40 PM
Ricks got these guys scrapping...Ima enjoy this UNTIL we come back to earth and lose 4-5 games or w/e...If we go on this road trip and lose 4 strait...I blame the guy who started this thread.

Big Smooth
11-26-2004, 11:54 PM
The West Coast trip will be both interesting and a great challenge. I don't think the Pacers level of play is a fluke but I think the current lack of depth will catch up to the team at some point. From what I heard tonight Foster, Reggie & AJ are due back very soon which is good.

The back-2-back games will be the toughest. I think that is what you saw tonight. No disrespect to Charlotte as they have played just about everybody tough. But to me, the Pacers clearly seemed a bit fatigued. Fortunately they had enough gas in the tank to finish strong.

Bender really needs to get healthy because this would be a GOLDEN opportunity for him to get lots of minutes and prove himself as a consistent threat.

Jermaniac
11-26-2004, 11:57 PM
Yeah sucks for JB, he never catches a break.

Unclebuck
11-27-2004, 12:14 AM
James Jones has hit the wall as evidenced by his zero rebounds tonight. None of these players are used to playing nearly this many minutes, they are all about to hit the wall. So there are a few road games that will be really ugly coming up.

TheSauceMaster
11-27-2004, 01:25 AM
To be honest our schedule doesn't get real brutal til January , I think alot of you people are selling this team short , I would be embarssed if Pacers players actually read this board maybe they should just give up now ?

Let's enjoy out 3-1 since the incident and be happy about that , why sit there and worry about what if's and some of you people panic way to easy around here.

Let's enjoy the moment of great team basketball.

Jose Slaughter
11-27-2004, 02:07 AM
The West Coast trip will be both interesting and a great challenge. I don't think the Pacers level of play is a fluke but I think the current lack of depth will catch up to the team at some point. From what I heard tonight Foster, Reggie & AJ are due back very soon which is good.

The back-2-back games will be the toughest. I think that is what you saw tonight. No disrespect to Charlotte as they have played just about everybody tough. But to me, the Pacers clearly seemed a bit fatigued. Fortunately they had enough gas in the tank to finish strong.

Bender really needs to get healthy because this would be a GOLDEN opportunity for him to get lots of minutes and prove himself as a consistent threat.

Sunday - Seattle

2 days off

Wednesday - LA Clippers

1 day off

Friday - Sacramento
Saturday - Golden State

I already posted a thread stating we can beat the Sonics.

With 2 days off before the Clippers, we should be OK there as well.

The Kings have back to back road games at Memphis & New Orleans on Tuesday & Wednesday before meeting us. This one will be tough.

As for the Warriors, they have a game the night before too. So both teams will be playing for the 2bd night in a row. They are in LA, it's not far but it is a road game.

3 of these are winnable but I could live with 2.

Peck
11-27-2004, 05:41 AM
Win or lose right now it's about effort. I can live with some missed shots & I understand the losing will commence. However as long as I see these guys busting their @sses I will live with the results.

I think we are seeing that some of our players are that good & some are playing a little above their heads. But overall we have heart & that is something I will live with.

indygeezer
11-27-2004, 07:03 AM
They are playing GREAT team ball now and I love watching it, but we cannot discount the energy the home home crowd has given these guys. It is so strong, so energizing it comes across the TV (too bad the major mediots don't recognize this).
Now, if they sustain this level of energy on the road trip, we'll know for certain that this is a special group and we might as well trade off Jo et al.

UB alluded to a situation so I'm going to flat out ask: At what point will it be OK to put the knock on one of these players?? I mean JJ---36 minutes and ZERO rebound??? WT heck??? We gotta have ALL the front court producing rebounds. But we are totally supporting these guys right now...how long is the honeymoon?

Peck
11-27-2004, 07:15 AM
For this group? The honeymoon will probably last through J.O.'s suspension unless the bottom totally collapses.

However honest criticism should begin now. As I pointed in my odd thoughts, James had a bad game. But as long as the effort was there we will live with it. U.B. also pointed out that James has hit the wall, which is a very very high probablity.

ABADays
11-27-2004, 08:26 AM
I'm with you Peck. It's all about the effort. The win last night was huge considering the upcoming road trip but you could tell the tank was empty. But they still found a way to win. The West Coast trips are always tough and it really will be a new experience for most of these guys. Just keep up the support.

Mourning
11-27-2004, 09:18 AM
The thing I'm really worried about right now is that this team will probably forget all about what they're doing now to win once JO and Jax come back.

IndyToad
Really explodes

As ALWAYS you worry too much. Have some faith and trust. I have no doubt we will have a fall back sometime the coming days, maybe weeks, let's just enjoy the success now. Further, on JO and Jax coming back ... we are not even close to beying there yet, who knows how are situation will be when JO gets back in January? Further, I'm hoping for Reggie to be back soon, aswell as AJ, two other shooters, two new 3pt threats.

Regards,

Mourning :cool: