PDA

View Full Version : Long distance Pacer fans

ABADays
11-26-2004, 12:05 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before. But I'm old . . . and I forgot . . . . so kill me. What made all of you out-of-staters fans of the Pacers?

ROCislandWarrior
11-26-2004, 12:21 PM
A trip to Indiana when I was like 6.

I became very ill and was stuck on the couch for 2 days while everyone was out having fun. That was when I first saw Reggie Miller and the Pacers play on TV. From that moment on, I was hooked.

indiana_07_pacers
11-26-2004, 12:28 PM
Awhile ago I watched a couple pacers games and saw what kind of show Reggie put on and from there on, I am a Pacers fan. Im from CT.

Freddyfan
11-26-2004, 12:43 PM
Fred Jones.

The kid is simply one of the good guys. Moreover, he absolutely electrified Mac Court in Eugene, Oregon while he was at the U of Ore., especially that
senior season. I saw some amazing things...

Not to mention...I've always been a Reggie fan...a true clutch player to say the least. I'm proud of the leadership he is now exhibiting and its fun to watch the team win despite losing three starters. Just so happens some of these 'scrubs' can play;-)

sweabs
11-26-2004, 01:09 PM
I only began to watch basketball in 1995. Fortunately for me, I started watching in the playoffs, and what a playoff run that was for our Pacers. Needless to say, Game 1 of the Eastern Conf. Semi Finals against the Knicks - where Reggie scores the infamous 8 points in 8 seconds won me over. After I saw that - I told myself I love this guy. I was a Pacer fan ever since...and forever will be.

dannyboy
11-26-2004, 01:37 PM
Spring of 1991, Eastern Conference playoffs, Round 1.

Chuck Person, Reggie Miller, Michael Williams, Detlef Schrempf, Vern Fleming, Lasalle Thompson, Rik Smits, et al.

Watching them battle Boston right down to the final seconds of the series made me a fan, and they have been my favorite team since.

I am a southeast TX native (my hometown is about 10 miles from Stephen Jackson's hometown). I was alway entertained by the Rockets but never really embraced them.

NJ Pacergirl
11-26-2004, 03:06 PM
I've been lurking for years, posted very infrequently at indy star, but figured I could answer this question!

My entire family are die hard Knicks fans. I never really liked the Knicks but always enjoyed basketball and would get pretty into it during the playoffs and would always pick a team to root for. It was during one of the playoff series that Reggie burned the Knicks and I thought to myself, I like this Reggie Miller guy. Didn't really follow them again till the next year and again was impressed by Reggie. Became a huge Reggie fan and little by little started following the team until I became quite obsessed. Finally got League Pass last year and try to watch as many games as I can. I always thought I was more of a Reggie fan and less of a Pacers fan but that has changed and I feel like I'm now a Pacers fan for life.

I try to make it to Knicks Pacers games and Nets Pacers games. I can usually get great tickets through work but I've never felt what it's like to cheer for the Pacers while other people are cheering! I'm planning a trip to Conseco in March and I can't wait to cheer them on with other Pacer fans.

ABADays
11-26-2004, 03:11 PM
You will love Conseco.

sarc
11-26-2004, 03:16 PM
I'm a fan from Eastern Europe, Baltic States - Latvia.

One reason - Reggie Miller. Two episodes - the 8 points in 8 seconds against Knicks in playofs and a highlight from one game where Reggie bowed with some 1x seconds left after making a three,(then the other team also made a three, the player bowed just like Reggie and they won it, but that doesn't matter much).

Never seen any complete game but I count myself as a fan and I want to get as much info as possible.

Jermaniac
11-26-2004, 03:24 PM
I'm from Serbia the only games we got out there was the play offs, and during the Bulls and Pacers series, when Reggie hit that game winner and tied the series I became a huge fan of Reggies, then our family moved to U.S and I just watched and loved the Pacers ever since then. So I have been a die hard Pacers fan for about 6 and a half years now.

LuckyMcPhearson
11-26-2004, 03:56 PM
Truth be told I'm a Blazer fan first. But lets keep that on the down low. :)

I always liked the Pacers for various reasons. My family is from the midwest and I was born in Illinois (Go Salukis!) so basketball is in my blood. Good basketball that is. The way the Blazers used to play with Drexler, Porter, Buck, Kersey and Duckworth. The way the Pacers play now. When the Blazers traded my favorite player (O'neal) it made me follow the Pacers on a game by game basis wanting JO to do well. Then they drafted Freddie Jones and that was pretty much that. I watched every Pacer game I could and realized how much I loved the way they play the game. Not just because of one or two players but everything about the Pacers. The players, coaches, management and fans.

Everything that the Pacers are now is what the Blazers used to be. If you love the game of basketball you have to love watching the Pacers play.

Oliver1_1
11-26-2004, 04:12 PM
well to add to latvia and serbia...
germany here

in my 1st ever nba game on tv i saw reggie punch MJ ...
i saw a spirited team and loud fans fall short time and time again in various rounds of the playoffs....
i saw reggie win a pre season game here in berlin vs. seattle with a 3 in the last second ....
and thank god i was able to be in madison square garden to see the "hicks nix the knicks in six"

that makes it easy...to find the "right" team
its not that much about winning...
it's more about the passion of the fans , the team and the organization...

and considering that...

is there any other nba team worth rooting for?

pistons?knicks?
any other of those corrupt big market machines?

no way!

go pacers!

MistyRo76
11-26-2004, 04:30 PM
When I moved to Indiana 14 years ago, I knew little about the Pacers. I was a Utah Jazz fan because of Jeff Hornacek. I grew up in Iowa and my family had season tickets to the Iowa State basketball games. So we really followed Hornaceks success in the NBA. But when the Pacers/Knicks played each other in the playoffs and Reggie scored those 8 points in the last 16 seconds, I thought that this was a team I could really root for and get behinds. Being in Southern Indiana we don't get a whole lot of NBA news and what little we did get was on the Pacers, so I started to follow them. Then they drafted former Cyclone Fred Hoiberg and of course 3 years ago Tinsley. Since they drafted Tinsley, I have really began to follow them religously. Now I have moved to the Cincinnati area but I am still loyal to the Pacers.

Arkady
11-26-2004, 04:33 PM
From Russia with love :)
As for me, Reggie was the primary reason I swiched from the NHL to the NBA. First time I saw him in 1996 during Olymipcs at Atlanta. He was wearing those Moses Malone-like glasses..I was amazed with his style of playing, and immediately became the Pacer fan..But, frankly speaking...Eight years ago, I looked just like Reggie, I mean I was very thin. And he showed me, that big heart can sometimes substitute the lack of muscles..
Since 2003/2004 season, I've been able to watch 20-25 Pacers games per season (including playoffs). Sometimes I realize, the dream of Pacers championship is the only thing that keeps me going on.

sweabs
11-26-2004, 04:33 PM
It's amazing to see what kind of effect Reggie has had on a lot of us.

ABADays
11-26-2004, 06:14 PM
This is too cool!

Doug in CO
11-26-2004, 06:26 PM
Live in CT now - born and raised in Indiana - lived there for 25 years

kerosene
11-26-2004, 07:28 PM
I'm from Indianapolis, been living in California for 8 or 9 years now.

skyfire
11-26-2004, 09:43 PM
Living in Australia, I've been a passive NBA fan since I got into basketball about 10 years ago. The 96 olympics I was watching the Australian Boomers play out of their skin to be only down 5pts at 1/2 time against Team USA. Then Reggie hit the floor and dropped 3pters from all over the court, I was sold.

I started actively following the NBA before the start of last season and loved the rollercoaster ride that was last seasons 61wins + playoffs. It was Reg that got me into the team but I loved the game of so many pacers I was completely hooked. Tins' court vision and passing, Ron's entire game, JO's touch in the post. It usually takes me a couple of days to see the Pacers games cause I have to download them off the net, but I love every second of it.

Hoop
11-27-2004, 12:22 AM
This is so Awesome to have so many Pacers fans from all over the U.S. and the World !

NZPacer
11-27-2004, 02:29 AM
I'm 20, but when I was ten I got given the NBA Video "Furious Finishes". Ever since then I've been a big Reggie and Pacers Fan.

Lol I'm probably the only person in New Zealand with a Reggie Miller poster on my bedroom wall as well as numerous pacers pennants.

Can't wait till Christmas day! :p Pacers v Pistons shown here

Cactus Jax
11-27-2004, 03:00 AM
Pretty much the whole 94 playoffs was why I became a Pacers fan. The Byron Scott 3, Reggie's performances throughout the playoffs, and how they were and underdog in every series.

JOneal7
11-27-2004, 03:01 AM
well...to be honest I never watched the nba till I was about 8....or so..it was in 93 and I had just moved to florida. I was bored one day and I saw a basketball game on..I had always had a buncha cards n stuff (never collected em, jus was given them) and I saw the pacers vs the orlando magic...from that moment on I always rooted for both...The magic lost by a bucket I think as they waived off Nick andersons dunk at the buzzer. When JO joined the team I started to totally love his game and I bought his jersey and stuff and now I live in indy and have season tickets...so it was like just opening the flood gates..lol

Deadshot
11-27-2004, 03:08 AM
I lived in Indiana all my life until we had to move a little over a year ago. People thought I would become a Magic fan, but there was no way I would do that. I grew up going to games at both MSA and Conseco, and I love Pacers basketball :)

Earlier this year in preseason, I got to listen to a few games on the internet and hear Slick and Mark again - classic! Thankfully, my parents got me League Pass for Christmas and I still get to watch almost every Pacers game :)

waterjater
11-27-2004, 04:52 AM
I grew up in Indiana (Z-ville) 7th grade onward and then went on to Purdue and have always followed the Pacers. I remember Johnny Davis, Billy Knight, Herb Williams, Clark Kellogg, Stipo, Vern Fleming, CHUCK PERSON!, Reggie, Byron Scott and on and on. I used to drive down to East street, park for free on the street and buy a single ticket from scalpers (for usually next to nothing because the Pacers won less than 40 games) and sit center court.

I've since lived in several states, but am currently in San Diego, CA. I've been to the Eastern Conference finals several times and flew back for Game 3 of the NBA finals a few years back. Just a die hard fan that was lucky enough to follow his team from the depths of nowhere to the NBA finals!!

I was just in town and went to the Boston Celtics game. Awesome win!

Water

pacerDU
11-27-2004, 07:29 AM
I'm from Australia (that's what my username stands for - DU = "Down Under") :)

I've been a Pacer fan since the 93-94 season. Just got sick of the Bulls winning everything. I liked the way the Pacers played TEAM ball and it's what I still love about them.

I've been lucky enough to attend a couple of Pacer games. Both were during the 96-97 seson (I know bad year!) and Larry Brown's last year as coach. Luckily for me the two games I went to were both Pacer wins!

The first game was a game against Boston at Market Square Arena. Reggie won the game with a last second 3 - couldn't have asked for a better finish!! BOOM BABY!

The second game was at... well... our new most hated arena: The Palace of Auburn Hills :thumbsdow . Great result though - Pacers' win in OT. We were actually sitting right near where the "incident" would occur 8 years later. The Palace was as poorly run then as it obviously is now, They sold our tickets to someone else (managed to find us some other seats) and the fans were very rude. I s'pose it didn't help that I was wearing a Pacers top!

Anyway, I'm a diehard fan and always will be. I have my Reggie retro jersey as well as my Dale Davis one.

pacer4ever
11-27-2004, 08:17 AM
I'm from Southeast Asia.

To answer the question...REGGIE MILLER. I started watching the NBA when i was very young. It was hard for us to really see a lot of games on the TV at that time because cable TV was virtually non existent, whenever i could though, it was always a game between the Celtics and the Lakers. Sadly, they were the only two teams I was familiar with in the late 80s. Then came the Pistons...yes, i was rooting for the pistons against the Lakers. The years went by and gradually more games were shown in our country. I forgot what year it was and what game but i caught a glimpse of this skinny wierd looking guy with flat tops that looked ridiculous... little did i know at the time that he would be the player i would admire most through the years. Yes, year after year after that glimpse, he shone in my eyes. The knick playoff games before 1995, the 1995 playoffs, the showdown with Orlando's penny hardaway (although rik smits won that game thru a buzzer beater), and many many more. I have been an NBA fanatic ever since, and a bigger PACERS fanatic forever.

ABADays
11-27-2004, 09:18 AM
I lived in Indiana all my life until we had to move a little over a year ago. People thought I would become a Magic fan, but there was no way I would do that. I grew up going to games at both MSA and Conseco, and I love Pacers basketball :)

Earlier this year in preseason, I got to listen to a few games on the internet and hear Slick and Mark again - classic! Thankfully, my parents got me League Pass for Christmas and I still get to watch almost every Pacers game :)

So you were involved in the JOneal7 trade right
:laugh:

I know most of you from your postings but for those where it was not formally done - Welcome. It is so great to have true fans from so many places.

Deadshot
11-27-2004, 01:28 PM
Yeah - we had met on a sportscard trading board, and it was so ironic that I was moving down and he was moving up!

PoultryPops
11-27-2004, 02:37 PM
Hmmm, where do I start? I grew up in little ole Rushville, Indiana. I got hooked on the Pacers way back in the ABA Coliseum days. I absolutely cherished nights when I could watch or listen to Mel, Neto, Roger, Billy and Freddie play and usually win. I loved the red white and blue basketball because the backspin showed who the pure shooters were and it looked great swishing through the net. I loved the way they used to blast the siren after Billy Keller (or whomever) would hit another "Homerun". Rajah would do his one on one magic and Mel would be grabbing his one handed rebounds and dominating the opposing centers. I loved the rivalry that they had with the Kentucky Colonels and the Utah Stars. I have since relocated to California and have been here for 30 years. But I have remained loyal to both the Pacers and Colts the whole time.

The main reason that I have been loyal was due to a little mishap that occured while I was in highschool. My mother (who was also a huge fan and has since passed on) and I wanted to attend a game at the Coliseum. We got up early one morning and drove to the box office to purchase the tickets. Along the way we experienced a flat tire out in the middle of nowhere. I managed to change the tire in the predawn light and before long we were on our way. We got the tickets and shopped around Indy all day until it was time to go to the game. We go to the game and are sitting in our seats when along comes someone who claims that we were sitting in their seats. We argued that we were in the correct seats. When we showed the tickets to the attendent, he pointed out that they were for the previous nights game. (How we were able to get through the gate I'll never know). The attendent then said that we could stay but that we would have to go to the standing room only area behind one of the baskets. We did go there and stood for well into the fourth quarter before my mom got tired of standing. It had been a long day. Well, a few days later my mom wrote a letter to the Pacer Organization and explained what we went through to go to the game and then to find out that they had given us the wrong tickets. A few weeks passed and my mom recieved a letter with a full refund and a letter of apology. Do you think that I would get something like that from the Lakers or any of the California teams? I don't think so. I love the small market atmosphere of the Pacers and am biding my time until they will bring a championship to Indianapolis. I love the underdog and it will make it that much sweeter when they finally bring it home. Thanks for letting me ramble.

JustDuck
11-27-2004, 04:50 PM
2 words....Fred Jones!

there hasn't been a player to electrify the pac 10 quite like Freddie did his senior year....lead them from nowhere to the great 8. Although he had help from the Luke & Luke show

As much as the suspensions are hurting the pacers in the short term, you cant underestimate the value of getting freddie, harrison, JJ etc....the extra burn. Watch out in the playoffs....and next year for sure

Roy Munson
11-27-2004, 05:08 PM
The day the Pacers drafted Freddy was the day I became a Pacers fan. I can remember exactly where I was and what I was doing, with a little radio to my ear waiting to hear where Freddie was going to be drafted.

I was standing on the track conducting track practice. I wasn't expecting Freddie to get drafted until late in the first round. When the Pacers took him at #14 I couldn't believe it. That night I got online and started reading everything available about the Pacers.

Monday is going to be a rough day for me at work. I'm going to drive up to Seattle tomorrow, then drive back down after the game. I'll only get a few hours sleep but it will be worth it to get to watch Freddy and the boys play.

Mourning
11-27-2004, 05:52 PM
Dutch Pacers fan here. I have been a teletext Pacers/Smits "follower" since he was drafted by the Pacers in 1988. At about 1993 I got Canal+ movie channel which also airs NBA games, that gave me the opportunity to watch 2 or 3 games a week from the NBA, I started reading some more basketball magazines and tried to copy some center moves from what I saw on TV. I remember the first full Pacers game was somewhere in that winter of 1993 against the Knicks and thats when the flame really started to burn for the Pacers as a team and it has only intensified really. Smits retired, but I love this team and probably always will if only because the game has sort of a "culture" or higher meaning than in the other places where teams play, I guess the saying "in 49 states its just basketball, but this is Indiana" has some definite meaning. How could you not love the team than that represents that state and doesn't have that "influence"/Big market image, etc? The weather isn't that super in indy to play golf in the winter, either ;)
So, the Pacers have some natural limits that influences forinstance whether top players want to play for them in a not so fortunate way. But, too still manage to build such an organization, draw the true sportsfans (the knowledgeable and the emotional) and get the great results, there's just NO way I EVER want to root for another team. One of my greatest wishes now is to watch ATLEAST one home play-off game in the near future in Indy. My girlfriend tells me I am nuts and should grow-up on this, I will just nod "yeah, whatever" and think "NO WAY!!!!!!!" :mad: :mad: :mad:. On the otherhand she loves the passion I have for the game ;). So, I have decided not to trade her :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:.

Strangely, the player in the NBA I have always liked most next to Smits and Reggie is Alonzo Mourning, just like Ron he's not just an athlete, this is a warrior, I have the greatest respect for him which grew even larger when he got in conflict with the Knicks and in particular a player whose name I SHALL NOT MENTION in order to keep our shrine holy here ;) .... or was it Ewing :confused: I forgot :blush:.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

ChicagoJ
11-28-2004, 12:39 AM
Grew up in Greenwood; my first big purchase after graduating from college was Pacers season tickets, even though my favorite player had just been traded to Minnesota for a pile of Pooh and some loose change; moved to Chicago after I finished business school; still keep my season tickets so I can go to as many playoff games as possible; I spend a lot of time on I-65 during basketball season.

DrBadd01
11-28-2004, 06:48 PM
Watching Reggie Miller and Chuck Person play a first round play off game against Larry Bird and The Celtics.It was either the 1990-91 season or the 1991-92 season. All that I can remember is Reggie and Larry Bird matching basket for basket.

JOneal7
11-28-2004, 08:09 PM
lol@the JOneal7 trade...

I think it's obvious who's the biggest fan on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~03-04 Most Fanatic Poster
what! I'm going to make my case again...watch!

BostonConnection
11-29-2004, 12:15 AM
Hey there, ABA, I've been meaning to post in this thread but never got around to it until now.

Grew up in Terre Haute, and also lived in Indy and Bloomington before eventually moving out to Boston in '89. Watched the Pacers a little in the pre-Reggie days (particularly the Stipo/Herb Williams/Kellogg team), but was originally a Celtics fans, particularly in the Bird-era. I actually watched many of Bird's college games at Hulman Center back when he was at ISU, and did get to meet him on a couple of occasions; my father was a surgeon who treated him for some of the injuries he suffered in college (not the one who did a poor job on his crooked right index finger though).

I attended some of the draft events that they used to hold down at MSA for the Pacers and was in attendance when Chuck Person's selection was booed (everyone wanted the Pacers to pick Scott Skiles) and when Reggie's selection was booed (by the Steve Alford contingent).

Became a Pacers fan for good during the '91 playoff series between Indy and Boston when I found myself inexplicably rooting for the underdog Pacers against my well-past-their-prime Celts. Been hooked on the Blue and Gold ever since. Started out as a member of the IS Pacers forum back in 2001, then moved over to the original version of PD along with many after the infamous Random Thoughts and pffl incidents...

Deadshot
11-29-2004, 12:22 AM
Cool story Boston - I bet you're glad we have Larry in the office now!

BTW - I love that avatar - where did you get those (or is that just a generic picture)?

BostonConnection
11-29-2004, 12:27 AM
Cool story Boston - I bet you're glad we have Larry in the office now!

BTW - I love that avatar - where did you get those (or is that just a generic picture)?

It's just a pic. I tried to buy the Mark and Slick bobblehead from Conseco during this past summer when I was in Indy for a wedding but unfortunately the gift shop was closed when I went there. Oh well, I'll pick one up someday...

ABADays
11-29-2004, 12:34 AM
I'll pick one up for you if you want.

BostonConnection
11-29-2004, 12:43 AM
I'll pick one up for you if you want.

I may take you up on that if my siblings who still live in Indy don't take my hints for a Christmas gift for me...:D

PacerFanInBayAreaCali
11-29-2004, 01:16 AM
I've been a Pacers fan my whole life. I was born in Indianapolis and visit there twice a year. I live in Walnut Creek, Ca. (20 min from San Francisco), and the only other teams I follow are the Kings and Warriors. The Kings are OK, but the Warriors blow a$$. Whenever the Pacers are in town, I usually do the double dip (travel to Sacramento, and then to Oakland the next night).

Gyron
01-03-2005, 06:00 PM
Just realized I never posted in this.

I grew up in Kokomo and lived in Indy until about 5 years ago.

The Pacers were engraved into my mind from a very young age:)

ABADays
01-19-2005, 08:31 PM
Have seen some new names pop up lately so I thought I would bump this.

Buddhaboy
01-19-2005, 09:36 PM
I'm from Manila, the Philippines.

I've been a Pacers fan for the past seven or eight years although I've never been to Indiana and I've never watched a real NBA game in the flesh. Watching a real game remains one of my goals in life. :)

I started becoming a Pacers fan in a rather unconventional way. Although I had always followed the NBA with a bit of interest, I never had a favorite team until I started playing the Pacers on my old Super NES ( I forgot the title of the game, though). Uncle Reggie blew me away in the game I just had to see what he was like in the real world. And now, I'm a big Pacers fan!

I join the game chats, I read this board everyday and regularly scour the net for game coverage.

All from playing my Super Nes.

Anthem
01-19-2005, 10:08 PM
I used to live in Indy. Then I moved.

cramerica
01-19-2005, 10:14 PM
I'm from Plainfield then joined the Air Force at the ripe age of 18 in '97. Now I'm stationed in Tucson.

I was born a Pacer fan.

Mourning
01-20-2005, 02:46 AM
I'm from Manila, the Philippines.

I've been a Pacers fan for the past seven or eight years although I've never been to Indiana and I've never watched a real NBA game in the flesh. Watching a real game remains one of my goals in life. :)

I started becoming a Pacers fan in a rather unconventional way. Although I had always followed the NBA with a bit of interest, I never had a favorite team until I started playing the Pacers on my old Super NES ( I forgot the title of the game, though). Uncle Reggie blew me away in the game I just had to see what he was like in the real world. And now, I'm a big Pacers fan!

I join the game chats, I read this board everyday and regularly scour the net for game coverage.

All from playing my Super Nes.

I always said those game consoles are good for something! ;)

Regards,

Pacers_Brazil
01-20-2005, 04:03 AM
Hello there, I'm from Brazil...I always read every topic and come every day here, but I don' like to post because my english is not so good =/

I became a Pacer fan with 10 years in the 1999-2000 season, The Season. Because i watched a highlight with REGGIE and i liked him; after one day i watched a Pacers game on ESPN(only broadcaster that transmits NBA here, and in cable TV =/) and i loved Reggie with his treys and the Pacers with Mark Jackson, Rik Smiths, Dale Davis and Jalen Rose, since that day it was only Pacers for me. After i watched that amazing playoffs and gone crazy.

Here is to hard to find Pacers jerseys, only Reggie away uniform you find here, in low places. The TV Cable transmit only 1 or 2 games per week, and this season they don't transmit any pacers game. damn. The mostly of people here don't know about NBA, it's terrible.

Mourning
01-20-2005, 01:40 PM
Hey, don't say your english is a reason NOT to post, you can always try and trust me your english pretty decent. I don't think anyone in here had any trouble reading your post, so post more! ;)

Oh yeah, even though you have been around for some time ... welcome to the board! ;)

Regards,

Ragnar
01-20-2005, 01:59 PM
You are easier to read than most of JO7's posts anyway.

Trace
01-20-2005, 02:29 PM
Originally from Indiana...(well kind of...I moved there in 1970 when I was 3 and lived there until I was 27 :) ) Went to a few games over the years, but didn't get really interested until about '94, so I guess I'm kind of a bandwagon guy compared to some of the guys going back into the ABA days or even 80's.

Left Indiana in '96 for Colorado...currently living in Iowa. Still following the Pacers.

Pacers_Brazil
01-20-2005, 02:38 PM
ahuahauha thanks Mourning and Ragnar...i will try to post more here ;)

Ragnar
01-20-2005, 02:46 PM
ahuahauha thanks Mourning and Ragnar...i will try to post more here

boa vinda para nosso grupo :bananadan

XXSASSXX31
03-11-2005, 09:27 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before. But I'm old . . . and I forgot . . . . so kill me. What made all of you out-of-staters fans of the Pacers?

I'm almost 21 been a Pacer fan since I was about 9....it started with Reggie Miller....I am not sure exactly sure when it was but prob. in the 92 playoffs but i became more hardcore a season later I think....but it was Reggie's clutch shooting trash talking antics which made me as a youngster love the Pacers and most importantly love Reggie. I am out in California, and since then, I have remained loyal to the Pacers and Reggie and I became a fan all by myself...no one else introduced me.

When I was young I took a lot of heat for the Pacers...but I never regret it...I am thankful for everything he has done and I look forward to next season when Pacers will have a legitimate chance of winning a title....and I hope somehow Reggie returns after the Allstar break next year once we are on our way to a title.

BigMac
03-12-2005, 11:27 PM
I'm a fan from Eastern Europe, Baltic States - Latvia.

One reason - Reggie Miller. Two episodes - the 8 points in 8 seconds against Knicks in playofs and a highlight from one game where Reggie bowed with some 1x seconds left after making a three,(then the other team also made a three, the player bowed just like Reggie and they won it, but that doesn't matter much).

Never seen any complete game but I count myself as a fan and I want to get as much info as possible.

You a fan of Guntars (Guncha) Vetra?

If you're a hoops fan in Latvia, I am wondering if you know him or have met him. Thanks.

pacerau91
03-13-2005, 12:49 AM
Am 21 & from Australia, but have relatives in Indianapolis... So when my cousins sent me over a Reggie Miller singlet and signed cards of Reggie when I was 10 I was automatically hooked!
Have to follow them mainly through the internet so love reading comments from fans who actually get to watch the games on sites like this, do however every now and again get to watch them whenever they are on ESPN as they are the only games we get to see down under. (Get to watch LA @ Indy this week... can't wait!)
Will be in the US this December to meet my family and will have my first oppurtunity to see the Pacers play at the Fieldhouse, whilst I know its unlikely I wish for Reggie to play one more year just so I can say I have seen him, all the same I can't hardly wait to get to watch the guys (especially Ron) play in what will hopefully be their championship season!

3ptmiller
03-13-2005, 12:51 AM
Its all about reggie... all about Reggie my friends.. My history is KINDA FUNNY.. it goes way back in 1989 when i started to play basketball at the age of 8, my brother who was a basketball player loved Reggie miller aswell and kindoff studied his skills and taught me Reggie playing style, the only reason he loved him is because of his deadly Shooting, he gave me a Reggie jersey and since then ive been stuck to Reggies playing style and the funny thing is that I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE SEEN REGGIE PLAY OR ANY NBA GAME AT ALL! When i saw the first game 1992-94 (by then i was 12 years old)... it was the game against Knicks and reggie scored 25 points in 1st quarter, then i saw the game when he scored 8 points in 8 seconds... i was stunned, and since then i was a Die hard reggie and Pacer fan and followed all their games (thx to internet and CNN :)).. Today im playin Pro basketball here in Sweden and i have copied his style, shooting like him, talking trash like him, making clutch shots like him! everything :D its all because of reggie i guess!

ReggieMiller8325
03-15-2005, 05:11 PM
Well I have been a Pacer fan since i was 10 only because of Reggie Miller its a weird reason how figured out about him because 4 years ago i didn't even care about basketball.I was playing my video game NBA 2K and i used the pacers because i like them then i saw Miller there he was a good player had a nice three and all then i found a reggie miller card in my bros cards of basketball fottball and basebal cards there.I was amazed of what he did my other bro told me about him and i got into basketball and started reading his books and jordans books too Reggie inspired me to play basketball.Right now I'm really good but play different from Miller i shoot alot but don't exactly play like Reggie.I'm from Miami Florida and grew up in the hood but only for 2 years until we moved out of there.I started Watching the pacers play in the 2003-2004 season but figured out about them 3 years ago.I just wish i can see Miller in his prime years thogugh every single game thats why I'm such a big Miller fan and Reggie made me love the pacers too thank you Reggie Miller. :)

abington
05-24-2005, 12:01 AM
i went to college in Richmond, Indiana. While there Byron Scott hit the shot to beat Orlando. I have been addicted to the Pacers ever since. It's a lot like love. A lot of heartache and you never feel in control, but still worth it.

8.9_seconds
05-24-2005, 12:38 AM
Well I was four years old, and I sat down to watch an NBA game, because I live in small town Illionis, and basketball is life. So, I sit there and there is Reggie Miller just being Reggie, I have been a fan since then. It's so weird that Reggie is gone, because no I have to admit I'm not really that little kid anymore.

What's even stranger is that a week after I saw my first game, I got this little Picture of Reggie at a Rodeo from a game booth and the guy working it told me to watch this guy because he was somethin else, I will never forget that.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
05-24-2005, 12:47 AM
I live in Arizona now, but I lived in Mishawaka, Indiana until I was ten or so. Funny thing is, I wasnt a Pacers fan when I lived there, I guess that was because I was young and stupid, and maybe because I never liked chearing for the same team as everyone else. But as soon as I moved to AZ I became a Pacers fan. Ive pretty much broken off all of my connections with family in Indiana during the 10 years Ive lived in AZ, so I guess the Pacers are the one thing that ties me to my "old life".

Just thought I would give some info on myself since I am relatively new here. Ive actually lurked on these forums since the beginning of last season and I only registered last Nov because it became mandatory to view the forums. I just started posting recently because for the most part what I thought was usually posted by someone else (usually UB), but you guys have been slacking off lately :)

3ptmiller
05-24-2005, 03:31 AM
I used to love Michael Jordan, he was a GOD i thought and he was the Greatest baller of all time i thought... i was playing basketball and was studying his game (couldnt learn anything!! i was only thinking to be succesfull u have to Dunk over people?) But then something happend what made me change my mind...

Year 1992 Pacers vs Charlotte Hornets...

57 pts
16 of 29 FG`s
7 of 8 3PT`s
21 of 23 FT`s
40 mins
3 steals
1 block
5 rebounds
5 assists
0 turnovers

Still have that on Video tape and watching it almost everyday..

DO I NEED TO SAY MORE?

reggie31mate
05-24-2005, 04:09 AM
Hello there, I'm from Brazil...I always read every topic and come every day here, but I don' like to post because my english is not so good =/

Same here! I'm from Hungary, I'm 22, and I'm a Pacers addict for about...I don't know..6-7 years.. I'm a regular lurker, I do not post, because I don't trust my english enough yet..(And because I work in 3 shifts, and when I work at night, I usually don't even trust my hungarian.. :) ) I just like to come here and find out what the other fans, and Indiana residents think about the team. I also visit the Indystar forums quite frequently, but I couldn't even register there yet, though only tried once with my old hungarian e-mail address... I just don't want to get into an argument, because though I can make a good case for myself in my native tounge, I would propably lose in an english "fight of words" because of the shortage of my vocabulary.

[/QUOTE]Here is to hard to find Pacers jerseys, only Reggie away uniform you find here, in low places. The TV Cable transmit only 1 or 2 games per week, and this season they don't transmit any pacers game. damn. The mostly of people here don't know about NBA, it's terrible.[/QUOTE]

Now that is unfortunate, but get this.. In Hungary, you cannot get ANY Pacers jersey, and belive me, I've tried! There are only a couple of stores which sale NBA gear, and one can only find the most popular jerseys there like LeBron's, Shaq's, Kobe's, Iverson's, T-Mac's..etc..And though a diehard NBA fan, I'm not really interested in those. I had the fortune to meet a couple of Indiana residents last summer in a basketball camp held here in Hungary, (great people, they've really impressed us) so they're my only chance to ever get a Reggie Miller jersey..Which is sad..
Also, the local sports TV (we've only got one) stopped covering the NBA completely, so I had to figure out other ways to follow the Pacers, that's why I subscribed to be an Internet user. (It's not cheap to do that here!) This way, I'm now able to watch Pacers games, or listen to them via thegamelive.com - which is unbelivable! You guys can't even imagine what listening to Slick and Mark means to a guy, who has never been to the US, never attended a single NBA game, never get to wear his favourite player's jersey, but a real Pacers/Reggie/NBA/Basketball fan! And even in this situation I feel lucky, because I've been able to follow Reggie's farewell year, got to see the last Garden-party (and Knicks fans cheer him!!), see the event after the last regular season game (thanks to you guys, the video has been posted here!), and his last playoff run.. All these things are...unbelivable. So thanks for everything.. I'm looking forward to our next year(even without the man who made me a basketball player..and now a coach), and and I'll always be here following "my team"! GO PACERS!

3ptmiller
05-24-2005, 04:23 AM
Ahhh comon guys, dont be like that Reggie31Mate & Pacers_Brazil... my English suck big time aswell, still i post here as often as i can. People miss treated me first like a 12 year old because of my lack of word vocabulary, sentences, spellings... But later they will know that you are foreigner and people will treat you with huge respect in here!!

reggie31mate
05-24-2005, 04:59 AM
Ahhh comon guys, dont be like that Reggie31Mate & Pacers_Brazil... my English suck big time aswell, still i post here as often as i can. People miss treated me first like a 12 year old because of my lack of word vocabulary, sentences, spellings... But later they will know that you are foreigner and people will treat you with huge respect in here!!

So I guess it has advantages if you suck at English after all.. :D My ex-teachers would disagree I'm sure, but screw them! :D
Thanks for the encouregement though, I'll post as frequently as I can, I do enjoy Pacers conversations more than anything, and I lack basketball fanatic friends anyway.. :(

NorCal_Pacerfan
05-24-2005, 06:12 AM
Well, I am originally from South Bend, Indiana. I moved away to California in '87 for college and I never moved back. In '89 or so my Dad moved to Indy and lived there for about 5 years or so, and I spent some time there when I visited him. However, during those years I wasn't a big NBA fan. I was busy with all kinds of stuff (school, work, relationship, career, etc.) and I didn't really find the time for seriously following sports. I had been really busy with a career through '97 until I started my own business and started working from home. Anyway, long story short, I had extra time on my hands and I started watching basketball - a lot of basketball. But it was Laker games and Clipper games that were on ALL the friggin' time. Naturally, being from Indiana, I just gravitated to the Pacers as a casual fan. But the casual part was short lived. Before I knew it I was hooked, big-time. I was in hog heaven when the Pacers made it to the finals, and I wanted nothing more than to spank LA. Unfortunately, that didn't work out, but it didn't matter. It didn't matter 'cause the Pacers had Reggie. When they broke the team up, it was hard at first. I was bummed to see DD go, and Jackson, etc. But with Smits retiring and with Bird quiting, it was clearly time to rebuild. I was really bummed again when IT was hired over Carlisle. In fact, I was jealous of the Pistons when they hired Carlisle. I followed the team daily through the offseasons, preseasons and I could never wait for the seasons to begin. I've pretty much visited Pacers.com everyday for the last 6 years or so. About a year ago I started checking out the forums at Indystar, cause I felt like I wanted to share this passion with other fans. After posting there for a short while, I found PD. I lurked here for a while and then joined up and started posting. Now I visit here everyday...

Go Pacers!
But I am going to miss #31 - Boom Baby!

Isaac
05-24-2005, 01:01 PM
My story is kind of funny

I live in Chicago, so for me, growing up with the Pacers in 90s when everyone around me is bulls fans... I consider myself haveing gone through a lot being a die-hard pacers fan. Im one of the only people who is a die-hard pacers fan in chicago, because during the 90s, they all loved Michael.

So, when i was 4 years old, Reggie was playing in his first playoff series in 1990 against the Pistons. I found him entrancing as a little kid who was obsessed with basketball, and sports in general. I LOVED his hairstyle, that cut he had back then. And, when the Pacers lost that series to the pistons, I cried and cried and cried. Thus beginning my tradition of crying whenever the pacers season ends. Its the only time of year that I ever cry. I followed the team during the 90s, but as a little kid does, i wandered from the pacers during various times, such as, for a while i was a huge charolette hornets fan, I loved Larry Johnson, in fact, LJ was the first non-reggie jersey i bought. Then I went through a phase when I LOVED the Washington Bullets. I still remember that lineup, Rod Strikland, Chalbert Cheany, Juwan Howard, Chris Webber and George Muhrasan. I considered myself equally a Pacers and Bullets fan for a while. Then in 1996 I sort of really hit another level in my pacers fandom. I went to a game against the Orlando Magic in Market Square Arena. I was BLOWN away. Not that I had never seen a bulls game in Chicago Stadium, but MSA felt like my home. I loved it immidiatley. I came home with a Dale Davis jersey, a new Reggie Miller jersey, a pacers hat and a pacers poster with Reggie on it. Then came 1998, Eastern Conference finals. OOoooooo boy... I was walking around all series in all my pacers gear i had. I was only 12 years old, but people i didn't even know were already recognizing me as "the pacers fan" It was pretty sweet, and I had the opportunity to go to 4 games in that series. I went to games 1, 4, 5 and 6. It was phenomenal to be at those games. I ate a lot of crow at games 1 and 5, but it was amazing to be with other pacers fans watching the pacers at work in games 4 and 6. I was jumping around, high fiving other pacers fans, when Reggie hit that shot at the end of game 4 over jordan to even up the series... I cried out of happiness for the first time in my life. (although i almost had a heart attack when jordan almost made that very last shot.) I loved the Pacers more then anything else in the world.

Then this past year, I went to the most amount of Pacers games ive even been to, because I have a car and a girlfriend that will go with me whenever I want. I went to both games in Chicago, 19 home games, and 4 playoff games.

This year was the greatest year in my life as far as pacers seasons, and I have reached another pinicle in Pacers fandom. I can't stop myself now, Im going to Butler University in order to be closer to the Pacers and be able to get season tickets.

Not to mention, all these weekends got me going to Colts games, and Im starting to become a diehard for them also.

If you read all this, you have less braincells, but, thanks anyways.

Bball
05-24-2005, 01:14 PM
Same here! I'm from Hungary, I'm 22, and I'm a Pacers addict for about...I don't know..6-7 years.. I'm a regular lurker, I do not post, because I don't trust my english enough yet..(And because I work in 3 shifts, and when I work at night, I usually don't even trust my hungarian.. :) ) I just like to come here and find out what the other fans, and Indiana residents think about the team. I also visit the Indystar forums quite frequently, but I couldn't even register there yet, though only tried once with my old hungarian e-mail address... I just don't want to get into an argument, because though I can make a good case for myself in my native tounge, I would propably lose in an english "fight of words" because of the shortage of my vocabulary.
-

Now that is unfortunate, but get this.. In Hungary, you cannot get ANY Pacers jersey, and belive me, I've tried! There are only a couple of stores which sale NBA gear, and one can only find the most popular jerseys there like LeBron's, Shaq's, Kobe's, Iverson's, T-Mac's..etc..And though a diehard NBA fan, I'm not really interested in those. I had the fortune to meet a couple of Indiana residents last summer in a basketball camp held here in Hungary, (great people, they've really impressed us) so they're my only chance to ever get a Reggie Miller jersey..Which is sad..
Also, the local sports TV (we've only got one) stopped covering the NBA completely, so I had to figure out other ways to follow the Pacers, that's why I subscribed to be an Internet user. (It's not cheap to do that here!) This way, I'm now able to watch Pacers games, or listen to them via thegamelive.com - which is unbelivable! You guys can't even imagine what listening to Slick and Mark means to a guy, who has never been to the US, never attended a single NBA game, never get to wear his favourite player's jersey, but a real Pacers/Reggie/NBA/Basketball fan! And even in this situation I feel lucky, because I've been able to follow Reggie's farewell year, got to see the last Garden-party (and Knicks fans cheer him!!), see the event after the last regular season game (thanks to you guys, the video has been posted here!), and his last playoff run.. All these things are...unbelivable. So thanks for everything.. I'm looking forward to our next year(even without the man who made me a basketball player..and now a coach), and and I'll always be here following "my team"! GO PACERS!

You write like this and don't trust your English? There are people on the southside of Indy who wish their English was that good.

It's good enough that I almost don't believe you are really Hungarian and are just posting from Huntington, Indiana and pretending to be Hungarian ;)

-Bball

blanket
05-24-2005, 01:16 PM
grew up in indiana (greencastle). pacers are in my blood, I guess. better than rooting for one of the cali teams...

ABADays
05-24-2005, 01:39 PM
If you read all this, you have less braincells, but, thanks anyways.

Not possible for me but thanks for the credit ;)

Alabama-Redneck
05-24-2005, 02:34 PM
I was hatched in Indianapolis. I lived there from 1941-1983. Have always been a basketball fan and the Pacers have always been my team. I met and became acquaintances of Billy Keller and Rick Mount. I suppose it helped that I went to school at Purdue.

Anyway, I moved to Oklahoma in 1983 and to Alabama in 1998. I am still the oldest Pacer fan on this forum, even though IndyGeezer looks a lot older. :D

I miss not being able to attend the games but I do have League Pass and that helps. I do try to attend some games (Atlanta, New Orleans and Memphis) but it is just not the same as watching with Indiana fans.

My story and I am sticking to it.

:cool:

TheHotShot31
05-24-2005, 02:40 PM
I was born and raised in Miami, Florida and i became a Pacers fan when Larry Bird took over as head coach in 97. Ever since i have been following the Pacers. :)

NewType
05-24-2005, 03:02 PM
I grew up in Hong Kong. I went to IU and graduated in 2000. Moved around Connecticut, New York, and finally to Michigan :( in 2002. Started following the Pacers since Reggie's outburst at MSG in 1994 Playoff.

Reggie4Three
05-24-2005, 04:24 PM
This is a great thread. It reminds me of the Yao Ming quote in the Reggie Miller comemorative book where he talks about how people here don't understand how popular Reggie is overseas. He compared his popularity in China to Jordan's. That's some compliment.