PDA

View Full Version : Dear UncleBuck

Big Smooth
11-26-2004, 05:51 AM
Okay, I really haven't been around this forum much at all. I'm GO BIG RED on the S/N trash forum. But anyways, in case you forgot I've been one of those people who has had Tinsley's back since the beginning.

Now I'm not starting this thread to call you out or anything like that. I just haven't seen your posts in a while and I am curious if your opinion of Mel Mel the Abuser has changed??? I'd guess it has but I'd really like to hear your assessment of the young man.

Personally, I think Rimfire's old theory of "it takes a PG 3 years" has held fairly true in this case. I think the Tin Man has obviously worked on some weaknesses such as shooting and has become, dare I say, an elite NBA point guard??? And a fairly pure PG at that.

Just want to here your thoughts. This isn't a "I was right & you wuz wrong" kind of thing.

I'm going to try and post more here & follow up on things. I miss y'all folks like yourself & Peck!

Ragnar
11-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Yes UB has come out and said his mind has changed on Tins.

And in that spirit I would like to say that I have changed my mind about Pollard. While he is still no Brad Miller and I still think we would have been better with Brad (except I think Brad would have gone into the stands with Jack and Ron) I am thrilled with the way Pollard is playing this year.

sixthman
11-26-2004, 11:51 AM
And I'd like to say I have changed my mind completely from last year on Freddie Jones. There is a chance the kid will become a dependable, good shooter and scorer.

I feel better. :wink:

minusthebear
11-26-2004, 12:05 PM
some of his passes are sick

Big Smooth
11-27-2004, 12:37 AM
And I'd like to say I have changed my mind completely from last year on Freddie Jones. There is a chance the kid will become a dependable, good shooter and scorer.

Me too! I laughed at people who talked about Fred Jones being a legit player for the Pacers last season....but starting with the playoffs, my opinion started to change.

Now I'm a firm believer & supporter of Indiana Jones! The kid has improved his jumper so much that I'm amazed! A guy with that kind of athletic ability who can defend & shoot has tons of value.

Yeah even Pollard has looked decent this season, kinda scary!!!!

Big Smooth
11-27-2004, 12:39 AM
Yes UB has come out and said his mind has changed on Tins.

And in that spirit I would like to say that I have changed my mind about Pollard. While he is still no Brad Miller and I still think we would have been better with Brad (except I think Brad would have gone into the stands with Jack and Ron) I am thrilled with the way Pollard is playing this year.

I kind of figured as much. I'm proud of my boy Tinsley!!! : )

Agreed on Pollard, he looked like garbage last season but has been productive this year. He needs to get healthy though!

beast23
11-27-2004, 01:41 AM
Heh, heh. No one wants to mention Bender?

pacer4ever
11-27-2004, 08:26 AM
Heh, heh. No one wants to mention Bender?

Who's Bender? The pacers have a player named bender? Sure as hell didnt notice...:rolleyes:

indygeezer
11-27-2004, 08:47 AM

(grudgingly)....Yeah me too. I biyatched that he was just a twisted knee away from have nothing to add to this team. Last year I said that all he could do was jump and if that skill were lost he would have no game. Well, it's apparent he worked on his game and has become a player. My hat's off to him.

Bender will completely dominate the game.....some day....if healthy.

Unclebuck
11-27-2004, 12:43 PM
Sorry I have not responded until now.

But yes I have changed my opinion of Tinsley. If he is here the next ten years I'll be happy.

But let me fully explain myself on the whole Tinsley issue.

I loved him for the 1st two months of his rookie season. I was one of his biggest fans, I really was. I was amazed at how he could see thf loor and run the fast break.

But then as his rookie season went along his defensive weaknesses started to shine through. He started to gain weight and he became slow which made his defense horrible. IMO he was the by far the worst defensive point guard in the NBA. It drove me crazy, and that is the main reason I wanted him traded.

I never had a huge problem with his bad shooting or even his questionable decision making. But his defense was so bad I could not stand watching it.

I now blame Isiah some for this. The first time I saw Tinsley ever in a defensive stance was last season after Rick took over. The first time I saw a little bit of discipline on the offensive end was when Rick took over.

But the biggest change in Tinsley is he is finally in basketball shape. He deserves a lot of credit for getting into shape.

After the Pacers loss to the Celtics in 2003 I has enough of Tinsley, I did not think he was a leader, and he could not create offense in the halfcourt. He was to fat to beat anyone off the dribble.

But things started changing last season. See Isiah gave him the starting job in his rookie season, and maybe Tinsley just was not ready for that mentally and physically.

That brings us to today. I still want to see him make it through a full season and stay healthy, he has always been injured during the playoffs every season, hopefully he can stay healthy this year.

But Tinsley has great hands, if he gets near the ball he always comes up with it. He has the best hands in the whole NBA.

I have never questioned his mental toughness, sometimes it appeared he had too much, often taking bad shots.

The thing I am most excited about right now besides his greatly improved defense (by the way I think every teams defrnse starts with the point guard, if he gets broken down off the dribble the whoile defnese breaks down) but I Am most excited about his ability to run the pick and roll now. This season for the first time I have seen teams actually trap him on the pick and rolls.