PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sports Indiana in Fort Wayne

Derek2k3
10-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Hey all, I've got a question for any Pacers fans in the Fort Wayne market.

I live south of FW about 15 miles, but my satellite package is based out of Fort Wayne. I had Dish for several years and got the majority of the Pacer games, although not many in HD. Last September I switched to DirecTV, which has been great. Well, except for the fact that all of the sudden Pacer games were blacked out. I ended up getting League Pass anyway, so I was able to watch all the games on FSI. However, I'm not planning on renewing LP this season, and I'm wondering if I'll run into more issues with Dish.

When I called last year, they assured me that I was in the viewing area. When the games were blacked out, they couldn't figure out why and ended up telling me the only way I could get the games was with LP.

Anyone in Fort Wayne have DirecTV and are able to get the games? I'm really hoping that I don't run into this again...

rock747
10-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Switch to comcast they carry fsi.

Derek2k3
10-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Switch to comcast they carry fsi.

The issue isn't carrying it, it's that a few games (Seems almost random) are blacked out. Like, I can watch the pre-game, then the game kicks on and it's blacked out.

rock747
10-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Are they playing a specific team when these games are blacked out?

funnyguy1105
10-07-2012, 10:02 PM
The issue isn't carrying it, it's that a few games (Seems almost random) are blacked out. Like, I can watch the pre-game, then the game kicks on and it's blacked out.

That's strange. I live in FW and I've had zero problems getting every game on FSI with Comcast.

fwpacerfan
10-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Hey all, I've got a question for any Pacers fans in the Fort Wayne market.

I live south of FW about 15 miles, but my satellite package is based out of Fort Wayne. I had Dish for several years and got the majority of the Pacer games, although not many in HD. Last September I switched to DirecTV, which has been great. Well, except for the fact that all of the sudden Pacer games were blacked out. I ended up getting League Pass anyway, so I was able to watch all the games on FSI. However, I'm not planning on renewing LP this season, and I'm wondering if I'll run into more issues with Dish.

When I called last year, they assured me that I was in the viewing area. When the games were blacked out, they couldn't figure out why and ended up telling me the only way I could get the games was with LP.

Anyone in Fort Wayne have DirecTV and are able to get the games? I'm really hoping that I don't run into this again...

I'm on Dish and I get almost every game that FSI carries. I think I only missed 4 or 5 games last year. I'm not sure what the deal is with DirectTV but when I had them 8 years or so ago I had more issues with blackouts and such than I do with Dish.

Derek2k3
10-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Are they playing a specific team when these games are blacked out?

Of all teams, it was a road game in Philly.

Ok, I could see if they cross a wire and black out a Bulls game (Which yes, they've done before) and force me to watch on WGN, but Philly? That far east?

Derek2k3
10-08-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm on Dish and I get almost every game that FSI carries. I think I only missed 4 or 5 games last year. I'm not sure what the deal is with DirectTV but when I had them 8 years or so ago I had more issues with blackouts and such than I do with Dish.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.

Here's the deal with DirecTV:

To get regional sports channels, you have to pay about $13/month. Over the course of the season that works out to about $80(Nov-Apr X $13). League Pass is approximately $100 more, and I can usually get it down to about $125/$150. That means I can spend an extra $10-$15 a month to get all of the games, as well as mobile/broadband access.

As you can see, I'll be able to rationalize it...but I'd rather just spend the $80 and get FSI. Regardless, thanks everyone for the input! As usual, customer service wasn't any help (What game would you like to watch sir? Pacers? Ok, just a moment. Alright, that'll be on Fox Sports Indiana, channel 673. What's that? It's blacked out? Hmm, let me look. Well, sir, it appears that game is blacked out in your area. Is it on another channel? No? Um, I'm not sure...usually it's because it's on a local or national channel. Oh, maybe you're out of the broadcast area. What's that? Dish/Comcast? Let me get a manager.)

Naptown_Seth
10-08-2012, 10:46 AM
My guess is that DirecTV is defining where the FSI "region" ends, and doing it in a manner inconsistent with cable or dish (or reality).

If you aren't in the normal FSI area by DirecTV terms then what you are doing is basically the same as tuning to FX Bay Area. You see pre-game and then when the Warriors game actually starts you get blacked out. You don't get NBA games on FoxSports even if you pay for the FS package (without LP that is).

So you need to talk to someone at DirecTV and get them to change the boundary of where the local Indy market ends, and having 2 options to switch to which do count FW as part of the Indy area (for FSI purposes) might go a long way to doing that.

But as you well know, that phone call will be a chore because you must tunnel through a bunch of script readers to get to anyone that actually matters.

I opened this expecting to see an answer because I was certain we had some FW DirecTV users on here. Obviously no joy so far. And really unless they've worked a special deal or you have something uniquely wrong with where DirecTV thinks your account is actually at, then they are probably just going to confirm what you've already found.

Tom White
10-08-2012, 11:40 AM

Absolutely! I had Directv a few years back and they were horrible about this sort of thing. I live about fifty miles south of Indpls, in Brown County, and have never had an issue with getting the games by local cable or with Dish Network. Directv seems to have their own set of rules (as opposed to NBA rules) about blackouts. Oh, they will tell you they are just following the league's policy concerning blackouts, but don't buy it.

If you call them, be sure to ask for "customer retention", those are possibly the only people who can do anything for you.

I'm just happy I pitched them out years ago.

Since86
10-08-2012, 11:57 AM
I'm pretty sure Dish doesn't put games on FSI, but rather an alternative channel. It's usually something like 447.

BillS
10-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Remember FSI is just a local alternative channel to FSMW. Comcast actually switches the FSMW channel to the FSI feed, while when I was on Dish it created an alternative channel. The bar down the road has DirecTV and we end up having to search through channels every time to figure out which one is FSI this time.

boombaby1987
10-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Anyone know if there are blackout restrictions via Broadband in Bloomington?

spazzxb
10-08-2012, 01:38 PM
That's strange. I live in FW and I've had zero problems getting every game on FSI with Comcast.

NE Fort Wayne here and my direct tv has no issue with the games.

HickeyS2000
10-08-2012, 01:58 PM
I have DirecTV in Kokomo, and I had a similar experience with black-out issues last year. I had a black-out message on my screen for 3 games, yet all my friends were able to watch it. I called support and they couldn't figure out what was going on, and told me I would need league pass blah blah. It turned out resetting my receiver worked every time. Maybe you had something similar happen to you.

fwpacerfan
10-08-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm pretty sure Dish doesn't put games on FSI, but rather an alternative channel. It's usually something like 447.

It is usally 447 and it is usually an alternate sports channel but it is usually FSI's feed. I think Tom hit it on the head - DirectTV has their own rules. My guess is that most people who encounter this will just order NBA League Pass and move on.

@Derek2k3 - if remember correctly I used to have to order the regional sports package AND the League Pass to get all of the games when I had Direct - hopefully this has changed.

Sandman21
10-08-2012, 02:42 PM
It turned out resetting my receiver worked every time. Maybe you had something similar happen to you.
When it comes to random blackouts or ANYTHING with Directv... 99 times out of a 100 a receiver reset clears it.

Derek2k3
10-08-2012, 02:49 PM
I have DirecTV in Kokomo, and I had a similar experience with black-out issues last year. I had a black-out message on my screen for 3 games, yet all my friends were able to watch it. I called support and they couldn't figure out what was going on, and told me I would need league pass blah blah. It turned out resetting my receiver worked every time. Maybe you had something similar happen to you.

When it comes to random blackouts or ANYTHING with Directv... 99 times out of a 100 a receiver reset clears it.

No kidding. A simple reset/reboot did it?

Well, I'll probably wait until the season starts to deal with this, hopefully that's all that happened. Spazzxb has given me hope that I was just unlucky, so I'll just get after the DirecTV people to give me a straight answer.

They usually end up giving me a decent deal (Sunday Ticket Max this season ran me $125 after I called) so I don't mind sticking with them IF they don't jerk me around with regards to my Pacer games.

Again, thanks all!

Derek2k3
10-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Anyone know if there are blackout restrictions via Broadband in Bloomington?

I believe so, yes. There are...pretty simple ways around this.

matthpd195
10-08-2012, 05:24 PM
I live in Huntington, IN (about 20 miles SW of Fort Wayne). I have always been able to receive all the FSI HD games on DirecTV channel 673-1. Never once have I had any blackout issues.

Derek2k3
10-08-2012, 06:26 PM
I live in Huntington, IN (about 20 miles SW of Fort Wayne). I have always been able to receive all the FSI HD games on DirecTV channel 673-1. Never once have I had any blackout issues.

What the heck...I live in Bluffton, my brothers girlfriend goes to school in Huntington/I get my motorcycle serviced there. But that makes me think I had some stupid glitch or something, thanks for the heads up dude!

Man, with all of these fans in the general area we should do a game meetup sometime at Wings Etc/BW3/Wrigleys.

Seriously, thanks everyone.

HC
10-08-2012, 07:51 PM
What the heck...I live in Bluffton, my brothers girlfriend goes to school in Huntington/I get my motorcycle serviced there. But that makes me think I had some stupid glitch or something, thanks for the heads up dude!

Man, with all of these fans in the general area we should do a game meetup sometime at Wings Etc/BW3/Wrigleys.

I live about 25 minutes south of Bluffton and I have had Directv for years. I subscribe to the Sports Pack, and I have never had any problems getting the games.

matthpd195
10-09-2012, 09:26 AM

Also, I don't subscribe to the sports pack or anything, don't think the extra expense is worth it since I'm a season ticket holder & go to all the games anywas!

Derek2k3
10-09-2012, 09:43 AM

Also, I don't subscribe to the sports pack or anything, don't think the extra expense is worth it since I'm a season ticket holder & go to all the games anywas!

Wait, you're saying you get FSI without subscribing to the Sports Pack? What package do you have? Unless I upgrade to the top-end DirecTV package, I have to pay extra for the Sports Pack just to get access to the Fox Sports channels

BillS
10-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Supposedly you should get your local Fox channel without paying an uplift to the sports package. Sometimes you need a minor uplift to get the alternative channel - we had to add FSI to my dad's Dish for $5 per month at one point.

Sandman21
10-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Wait, you're saying you get FSI without subscribing to the Sports Pack? What package do you have? Unless I upgrade to the top-end DirecTV package, I have to pay extra for the Sports Pack just to get access to the Fox Sports channels

That doesn't make ANY sense at all. Check here:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=3450006

I think you need to speak with Directv about that.

Derek2k3
10-09-2012, 01:35 PM
That doesn't make ANY sense at all. Check here:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=3450006

I think you need to speak with Directv about that.

So, when I entered my zip, the only options that popped up were FS Cincy, FS Detroit, and Comcast SN Chicago. Yet, when I enter Fort Wayne in (About 25 miles further from Indy) FS Midwest/Indiana pops right up. Same with Huntington. What the ****

Also, FW/Huntington show that channel as included in the regular programming.

I hate my life.

EDIT:

EVEN FREAKING OSSIAN HAS IT LISTED! That little crappy town is all of 8 miles NORTH. Why is it that I'm punished for living CLOSER to Indy?

EDIT2:

Last edit...but, if you look at a map and enter zip codes directly north, and directly south, Blufftons zip is the only one that doesn't show FSI as available. This is absurd.

Derek2k3
10-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Looks like I have 2 options.

1. Pay for League Pass again. *sigh*
2. "Move" to Ft Wayne/Huntington, but don't require the installer to come out. Basically, change my service address by approximately 10 miles, putting me in a zip code that receives FSI. Un-frickin-believable.

Derek2k3
10-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Just for fun, I marked up a map of the areas around me. Literally, there is a pocket that isn't considered to be in the FSI viewing area.

http://oi45.tinypic.com/i6xb2d.jpg

BillS
10-09-2012, 02:36 PM
I'd call Customer Retention and send them that map along with any proof that the other providers have your zip code in the FSI viewing area.

Problem with the Fox sports package is that even though you would get FSI, it would still black out any out-of-area games (you are supposed to have League Pass for that).

Derek2k3
10-09-2012, 02:50 PM
I'd call Customer Retention and send them that map along with any proof that the other providers have your zip code in the FSI viewing area.

Problem with the Fox sports package is that even though you would get FSI, it would still black out any out-of-area games (you are supposed to have League Pass for that).

Bingo. At this point, I have to have League pass to get the games, according to the information on their site/my experience last year.

I'm probably just going to change my service address to Ossian zip code (5. Miles. Up. The. Road.) which will magically put me in the correct viewing area.

When I spoke to them on the phone, they claim they have no control over what zips get the RSN's, and tried to offer a pathetic discount on LP (Something like $15 off TOTAL)

Naptown_Seth
10-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Remember FSI is just a local alternative channel to FSMW. Comcast actually switches the FSMW channel to the FSI feed, while when I was on Dish it created an alternative channel. The bar down the road has DirecTV and we end up having to search through channels every time to figure out which one is FSI this time.
I do not have to do that in Indy. FSI is always at 673 or something like that, going by memory at the moment.

I haven't paid for LPass since my Texas days, and I get all the normal Indy broadcasts simply because of my location. We do have the sports channel package due to premium, but even before that we got FSMW/FSI automatically.

I think Derek has clearly identified the issue which is what I assumed - DirecTV randomly chooses by zip whether or not he's in the FSI broadcast window. If they had him in then he wouldn't need LP or even the Sports pack, he'd just need the normal locals package. If he "moves" he shouldn't need to buy the Fox pack or LPass to see the regular Pacers broadcasts, which means every game this season.

Derek2k3
10-09-2012, 03:30 PM
I do not have to do that in Indy. FSI is always at 673 or something like that, going by memory at the moment.

I haven't paid for LPass since my Texas days, and I get all the normal Indy broadcasts simply because of my location. We do have the sports channel package due to premium, but even before that we got FSMW/FSI automatically.

I think Derek has clearly identified the issue which is what I assumed - DirecTV randomly chooses by zip whether or not he's in the FSI broadcast window. If they had him in then he wouldn't need LP or even the Sports pack, he'd just need the normal locals package. If he "moves" he shouldn't need to buy the Fox pack or LPass to see the regular Pacers broadcasts, which means every game this season.

Yes, DirecTV gave FSI an "always on" channel, 673. FSMW is 671, but you have to go to 673 for Pacers games.

I'm going to do the "move" thing to Ossian, as it won't mess any of my programming up (I'm still in the same area for locals). I guess some people try to game the system by "moving" to, say, LA from Indy, then using an antenna in Indy to pick up locals. This gives them all the NFL games in the LA market, as well as the ones in Indy.

I'm not trying to do anything like that, just get my damn Pacer games. Very frustrating.

BillS
10-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Yes, DirecTV gave FSI an "always on" channel, 673. FSMW is 671, but you have to go to 673 for Pacers games.

I'm going to do the "move" thing to Ossian, as it won't mess any of my programming up (I'm still in the same area for locals). I guess some people try to game the system by "moving" to, say, LA from Indy, then using an antenna in Indy to pick up locals. This gives them all the NFL games in the LA market, as well as the ones in Indy.

I'm not trying to do anything like that, just get my damn Pacer games. Very frustrating.

I wonder if PS&E might have any interest in following this up as well. After all, holes in the local video market could have a direct effect on promotion of the team and the revenue generated for FSI and sponsors.

Derek2k3
10-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Big shoutout to Matt and Sandman, as well as everyone that helped me wade through this mess.

I just changed my service address to Ossian, and voila! FSMW is live and working for "free". So, I've saved between $80/$180.

First beer is on me, guys.