PDA

View Full Version : Preseason NBA thread 2012

pacer4ever
10-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Preseason is starting right now Rondo vs Bo McCalebb can't think of a better way to start the season.

Kstat
10-05-2012, 02:34 PM
This should do

Trader Joe
10-05-2012, 02:35 PM
That is a very meta post, Kstat.

LG33
10-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Best Celtic performance so far belongs to Scal at the announcers' table.

Nuntius
10-05-2012, 03:15 PM
The Celtics don't seem to care that much. Well, Sullinger seems to care and I'm sure that Fab Melo would care as well but that's to be expected from rookies.

I have to say though that is funny to see Oguz Savas outscoring Kevin Garnett :laugh:

hackashaq
10-05-2012, 04:17 PM
damn, missed almost all of this. would've loved to see it from the start

Kstat
10-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Fab melo....wow.

How can you be 7 feet tall and air ball a layup....

He had some of the ugliest point blank misses you'll ever see.

Sullinger looked good, though.

MvPlumlee
10-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Melo already making a name for himself :laugh:

It's a shame Sullinger is so bad defensively. Offensively he is something special.

hackashaq
10-08-2012, 06:29 AM
look at that basketball IQ. McGee spent a big part of the summer training with Hakeem Olajuwon, btw.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VhfYkcSDEkU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VhfYkcSDEkU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Hicks
10-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Yep. It's a big difference between being an athletic finisher and being a low post scorer. It'll be interesting to see if McGee learns to do that.

Trader Joe
10-08-2012, 02:38 PM
McGee is too frail to dominate in the post IMO.

hackashaq
10-08-2012, 02:49 PM
his physique and overall tools are comparable to Hakeem's, but not everyone has the brains to use them in the low post. Even Hakeem didn't fully polish his post game for many years.

hackashaq
10-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Watching the Raptors right now, DeRozan's handle looks much improved.

hackashaq
10-09-2012, 07:34 AM
i didn't watch that game, but Kanter went 12-11, 2 blocks in 24 minutes vs. the Warriors. He'll be interesting to watch (he lost 50 pounds over the summer, if someone doesn't know yet).

granger
10-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Watching dallas-barcelona and I cant belive how Collison still can be starting PG for Nba team. Well, dont look like its gona last long

hackashaq
10-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Jasikevicius pick and rolling the crap out of Dallas!

granger
10-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Cuban's genius FA plans ****d up Mavs pretty bad. No way this squal gels together. Poor Dirk

hackashaq
10-09-2012, 04:57 PM
i think they'll be ok, they have a lot of older guys, they'll need some time. The main issue right now seems energy. Especially the big guys, and that's their strength this year.

I just wonder if it's all worth it. Who will they get this summer?

hackashaq
10-09-2012, 05:18 PM
and DC just got left alone in the low post defending their center. He was pushing poor DC any way he wanted. Clearly the Mavs aren't sharp at all at the moment, they'll get much better.

edit: the center is 7'2 260, no wonder it looked so funny

pacer4ever
10-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Cuban's genius FA plans ****d up Mavs pretty bad. No way this squal gels together. Poor Dirk

wow overreaction much? Camp started a week ago and the whole team is basically new they will need a few months to gel and learn each others games. Don't worry the Pacers just like every team in the NBA will play sloppy in the preseason main reason there is a preseason so teams can gel and knock the rust off. If they still look sloppy in early January maybe I would be concerned but making a statement like that a week into camp is just silly. Basketball isnt played on paper main reason the Heat didn't win a ring their first year the whole team was new and needed to learn each other. While Dallas 2 years ago was a veteran team who had been together as a core for a long time believe it or not that is pretty important in the NBA.

keep in mind these euro teams are mid way though their seasons they should be outplaying Dallas.

Cuban's(or Dallas's GM and basketball ops team) plan wont be able to get graded until after FA next off season.

granger
10-09-2012, 05:51 PM
wow overreaction much? Camp started a week ago and the whole team is basically new they will need a few months to gel and learn each others games. Don't worry the Pacers just like every team in the NBA will play sloppy in the preseason main reason there is a preseason so teams can gel and knock the rust off. If they still look sloppy in early January maybe I would be concerned but making a statement like that a week into camp is just silly. Basketball isnt played on paper main reason the Heat didn't win a ring their first year the whole team was new and needed to learn each other. While Dallas 2 years ago was a veteran team who had been together as a core for a long time believe it or not that is pretty important in the NBA.

keep in mind these euro teams are mid way though their seasons they should be outplaying Dallas.

Cuban's(or Dallas's GM and basketball ops team) plan wont be able to get graded until after FA next off season.

Firstly, they are not through midway their season, euro basketball leagues not EVEN started in most countries. In Spain it started and I watched Barca's first game they lost at home to weak oppenent, i dont remember exactly but they probably lost their second game too. Euroleague didnt started yet.

Other than that learn how to express your feelings without saying words like silly.

Finally about subject; What I wrote was my bold statement about Dallas, and its not because the game they played, Its because the squad they had like I said in my msg.

pacer4ever
10-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Firstly, they are not through midway their season, euro basketball leagues not EVEN started in most countries. In Spain it started and I watched Barca's first game they lost at home to weak oppenent, i dont remember exactly but they probably lost their second game too. Euroleague didnt started yet.

Other than that learn how to express your feelings without saying words like silly.

Finally about subject; What I wrote was my bold statement about Dallas, and its not because the game they played, Its because the squad they had like I said in my msg.

Barcy has been together for over 2months and has a similar team 2 last year. While Dallas has a brand new team. Cuban is trying to semi compete after missing out on Dwill I think his goal is 2 lure a top notch FA this summer IMO u can't grade them until then. I like what they did have guys who expire next year and it came from no where. I figured after they missed on Dwill they wouldn't even field a team who could win 30gms and still be players 4 cp3 and D12 next summer was remarkable IMO.

Kstat
10-09-2012, 07:03 PM
I recall Phil Jackson's first Laker team looking like garbage over 8 preseason games, and subsequently winning 67 games and the championship.

Johanvil
10-09-2012, 08:36 PM
If we judge and make assumptions for one team only from the preseason let alone their first game, then we have rather lost the plot i think.

Kstat
10-10-2012, 08:28 PM
.....eight nba teams felt this kid wasn't worth drafting? Seriously?

Hey, I know it's only preseason, but....wow. You can't tell me there are that many NBA teams not in need of a center that massive and athletic.

hackashaq
10-10-2012, 09:20 PM
i was about to write, is there any point to have Will Bynum in the NBA, and he hits a buzzer 3, lol.

Drummond's impressive. shooting touch is nonexistant. but otherwise, fun to watch

Stuckey looked well too. this team makes much more sense now, might compete for a playoff spot with some luck

damn, i didn't realize the Pacers are playing too

on another note: Terrence Jones looked well for the Rockets in the first game. But they are playing PFs at all 3 frontcourt spots at times, it was predictable obviously, but it's a shame.
And Lin is keeping up his turnovers pace.

CJ Jones
10-11-2012, 04:08 PM
watching the heat/clipper replay... Allen playing alongside James ain't fair.

Kstat
10-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Well...Drummond managed to very quickly become the story of the first week of preseason.....

Eventually, he wont be allowed to play as free and loose as he was last night, but in the other side, he did all his damage with Greg Monroe on the bench. I'm sure frank will play them both together tomorrow night.

It's been a long time since I've seen a pistons team with this much young talent, but I don't know if they're ready to start winning yet. Time will tell when the games start to actually matter.

I'm very glad we have tayshaun with the starters and maggette with the reserves. So much youth on this team, those guys will be crucial.

Other notes...jerebko finally looks like he has his hops back from his Achilles tear two years ago, and Brandon knight has definitely tightened up his handle.

Goyle
10-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Did League Pass Broadband stop working for anyone else? This worked for the last Pacer game, now the link to open the console just stays white and doesn't load.

CJ Jones
10-12-2012, 06:52 PM
lol what's the deal with the secret scout on NBA TV? That's too funny...

hackashaq
10-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Valanciunas looks impressive. All over the place for now, but his talent is obvious. Not sure if his results will be good this year (although he really bothered Monroe's post up a minute ago), but he should be very good some day...

and two more good defensive possessions. people won't like playing against him, those arms...

i want to see Drummond in there for some comparison.

..and, hello foul trouble. he sets weird moving-hopping screens, that will have to be fixed.

Terrence Ross looks well too. This team has a ton of defensive upside.

It's funny when you watch Bargnani and Valanciunas at the same time, similar size, similar build, a little similar looks, but you can tell who's who by energy level at any time.
Bargnani did play solid D at times, though.

i don't like Kravtsov so far. He's focused on swiping at the ball, but it seems like he's doing more harm than good. Other than that, he looks pretty clueless and he hops in one place with no purpose and watches too much. runs into people and falls on people. and he looks like his arms are tired. he needs to hold them higher and learn to extend.

Drummond-Valanciunas! watching Drummond after watching Kravtsov is a delight.

Drummond has a bit of nastiness, I like it a lot.

Drummond moves with a lot of purpose for someone who's supposed to be clueless and not ready.
I loved that Drummond - Valanciunas bit, I want more.

Valanciunas will be so much better once he learns all the rotations and opponents... He plays a lot like Noah with his instinct to rotate and his mobility, but you need to know what you are doing.

DeRozan is so annoying to watch.

lol, I just noticed those 3D Raptors signs on the floor. It looks weird.

Kravtsov scores 6 in a minute to take the lead...

And he's asleep again.

Valanciunas is so talented.
It's sad they didn't play Drummond much.

Kstat
10-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Drummond is just physically overpowering. The kid just turned 19 and he's tossing seasoned vets around like rag dolls.

Kravtsov......ugh. He's everything I feared about Drummond. Better him than Drummond, I guess.

pacer4ever
10-12-2012, 09:54 PM
Watched Damian Lillard make Steve Nash look silly the other night. Now it's time for him to make Marshall and Dragic silly.

Lillard played under so much control and poise just like at Weber but with NBA talent he looks even better. I bet playing with Aldridge for the first couple weeks shocked him how easy it is when you have a big like that.

Blazers are my new favorite west team yes even over the Hornets and EJ. Lillard and Barton were 2 of my favorites in the draft and I liked Leonard a ton also they will be fun to watch grow in a few years I think they will be special I just hope it happens before LaMarcus gets too old.

Kstat
10-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Drummond wasn't supposed to pay at all tonight. Frank wanted to give kravtsov some burn.

Trophy
10-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Watched Damian Lillard make Steve Nash look silly the other night. Now it's time for him to make Marshall and Dragic silly.

Lillard played under so much control and poise just like at Weber but with NBA talent he looks even better. I bet playing with Aldridge for the first couple weeks shocked him how easy it is when you have a big like that.

Blazers are my new favorite west team yes even over the Hornets and EJ. Lillard and Barton were 2 of my favorites in the draft and I liked Leonard a ton also they will be fun to watch grow in a few years I think they will be special I just hope it happens before LaMarcus gets too old.

The West better take notice of Portland because they'll be creeping up the standings in no time. Lillard has stardom in his future no doubt.

pacer4ever
10-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Hopefully Lillard forgets about this game he has done everything wrong 2nite. Learning experience for sure rookies can frustrate you lack of constientcy that's why old Skool coaches hate playing them. I remember when a cerntin coach just yanked PG24 from the rotation because of that very reason. Hopefully Stotts is patient with Leonard and Barton and even Lillard.

hackashaq
10-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Portland has a nice broadcasting crew, btw.

I'll have to watch Utah next time. Looking at box scores, it seems like Kanter has been killing it over the first two games.

pacer4ever
10-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Portland has a nice broadcasting crew, btw.

I'll have to watch Utah next time. Looking at box scores, it seems like Kanter has been killing it over the first two games.
He doesn't even look the same lost 50lbs. He changed his diet kid will be special he has some sick post moves and now in shape scary combo.

Sparhawk
10-12-2012, 11:47 PM
Lillard is gonna be a beast in just a short amount of time.

hackashaq
10-12-2012, 11:55 PM
it will be hilarious if Wes Johnson finally breaks out.

Sparhawk
10-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Rookie update watch:

Plumlee - 24min 9pts 4boards 2TOs
vs
PJII - 30min 14pts 2boards 1steal

OJ - 7min 0pts(0-3...is he ever gonna make a shot?) 1block
vs
Quincy Miller - DNP
Kyle O'Quinn - 7min(played yesterday) 4pts 4boards
Doron Lamb - Off
Will Barton - DNP

Preseason is just as meaningless as SL, but it's still good to know how players are starting to progress.

Sparhawk
10-12-2012, 11:56 PM
it will be hilarious if Wes Johnson finally breaks out.

Who really knows, but sometimes a player just needs a change of scenery. I still think it would have been nice to get him for nothing. Might have made Lance expendable, or even 3rd on the depth chart for sg and pg (even though I think Lance will be our X factor this season).

Then again, even Corey Brewer is putting up nice numbers so far.

hackashaq
10-13-2012, 12:04 AM
Who really knows, but sometimes a player just needs a change of scenery. I still think it would have been nice to get him for nothing. Might have made Lance expendable, or even 3rd on the depth chart for sg and pg (even though I think Lance will be our X factor this season).

Then again, even Corey Brewer is putting up nice numbers so far.

frankly, he looked hopeless last year. i'll be very surprised if he becomes solid. But so far so good.
If he becomes a passable bench guy and Khan gave up a 1st rounder to get rid of him... damn.

pacer4ever
10-13-2012, 12:12 AM
Rookie update watch:

Plumlee - 24min 9pts 4boards 2TOs
vs
PJII - 30min 14pts 2boards 1steal

OJ - 7min 0pts(0-3...is he ever gonna make a shot?) 1block
vs
Quincy Miller - DNP
Kyle O'Quinn - 7min(played yesterday) 4pts 4boards
Doron Lamb - Off
Will Barton - DNP

Preseason is just as meaningless as SL, but it's still good to know how players are starting to progress.

Not that it matters but Will Barton has a bad groin he will be out awhile. Bad time to get injured likely wont be in the rotation early on because of it.

Kstat
10-13-2012, 01:40 AM
Really liked what I saw from Kravtsov in the 4th quarter. A bit oafish and lost on defense, but the guy has an absurd standing vertical leap, and power to go with it. I'd be ok with him backing up Drummond at C this season.

If Joe D does not cut Austin Daye tomorrow and sign Terrance Williams, I'm going to go ballistic. Terrance is light years better at everything. You don't even need to run plays for him. We NEED this guy. Sign him!

imbtyler
10-13-2012, 02:07 AM
Gerald Green's crazy in-bounds alley-oop with 24.7 seconds left in the game:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JjDeoZq9D8s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gummy
10-13-2012, 03:20 AM
Sweet. A nice dish by little Hans and Pendergraph did a decent job of getting in the path of Green's man to give him an extra step of space too.

Heisenberg
10-13-2012, 03:23 AM
Sweet play given the 6 second differential of the shot clock

hackashaq
10-14-2012, 12:37 AM
Kanter, Drummond, Asik, all destroying people this preseason. Valanciunas. It's raining centers.

Kstat
10-14-2012, 01:17 AM
Drummond is the most physically gifted rookie I've seen in a pistons uni since grant hill.

Dont misunderstand; it's only preseason, but physically, he's got superstar potential. not all star, superstar. Him being bigger, stronger, faster than almost the entire league won't change in 2 weeks.

It's not just that this guy is big with a nice vertical. He is MOBILE. He moves around like a guy a foot shorter and 100 lbs lighter.

I would buy a ticket just to see him play. In fact, I am.

On a side note, Terrance Williams is being brought in as a point guard. Didn't see that coming.

Sparhawk
10-14-2012, 10:35 AM
Kanter, Drummond, Asik, all destroying people this preseason. Valanciunas. It's raining centers.

Yeah, Kanter, 20min 14pts and 14boards!!! Not to mention 2steals and 1block. Stuffing the stat sheet.

Sparhawk
10-14-2012, 10:43 AM
Drummond is the most physically gifted rookie I've seen in a pistons uni since grant hill.

Dont misunderstand; it's only preseason, but physically, he's got superstar potential. not all star, superstar. Him being bigger, stronger, faster than almost the entire league won't change in 2 weeks.

It's not just that this guy is big with a nice vertical. He is MOBILE. He moves around like a guy a foot shorter and 100 lbs lighter.

I would buy a ticket just to see him play. In fact, I am.

On a side note, Terrance Williams is being brought in as a point guard. Didn't see that coming.

I didn't think he'd put up the numbers he is. Granted, he probably won't be in the regular season, but he's really impressive. Teams could be kicking themselves in the very near future for passing on him.

But good for Detriot, and while I hate Detriot just due to rivalry, you must be giddy to have Monroe, Drummond and Knight as the core future.

I really wished the Pacers took a chance on T Williams. He def has talent, but I can see why Detroit would pick him up.

Kstat
10-14-2012, 10:46 AM
You still could. We have to trade or cut one of the 15 guys we still have under contract if we want to keep Williams past preseason. He's frank's guy though, so it's tough for me to see us letting him go without a fight.

As for the Drummond/Monroe thing...they haven't played one second together yet, so I can only dream at this point.

The good news is, frank has exhausted his staple of power forwards that can't play, so im pretty sure I'll see the twin towers lineup soon.

pacer4ever
10-14-2012, 12:17 PM
I didn't think he'd put up the numbers he is. Granted, he probably won't be in the regular season, but he's really impressive. Teams could be kicking themselves in the very near future for passing on him.

But good for Detriot, and while I hate Detriot just due to rivalry, you must be giddy to have Monroe, Drummond and Knight as the core future.

I really wished the Pacers took a chance on T Williams. He def has talent, but I can see why Detroit would pick him up.
I could see him having a Gerald Green like comeback eventually dude has so much talent just hope he grows up and shows it. I loved him coming out but I didn't take his back round into affect as much as I should of he probably needs a few years overseas to grow up.

Kstat
10-14-2012, 12:23 PM
He's looked average playing the point offensively, but his defense at that position has been outstanding.

hackashaq
10-14-2012, 01:19 PM
Yeah, Kanter, 20min 14pts and 14boards!!! Not to mention 2steals and 1block. Stuffing the stat sheet.

and just brutalizing people. it's visible that he lost some weight, he gets thrown off balance sometimes, but the guy just never gives up bumping. i love watching players like that.

and Asik... i wonder if he'll be able to sustain big minutes. He looked pretty tired by the end of last night. But so far it looks like Houston got themselves a steal. 30 minutes of all-nba level defense and rebounding. Now they just need to find a Greg Monroe to pair with him, lol..

pacer4ever
10-14-2012, 03:58 PM
How I love watching Scott Machado hoop wish it was in BnG not red though. I still can't believe he went undrafted hope he proves me right should be a nba starter in a few years. Spurs look like the Spurs gonna be scary deep.

hackashaq
10-14-2012, 05:07 PM
he can pass, but he gives up just as many points. it's funny to watch him on D, tbh

Doddage
10-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Machado > Lin

hackashaq
10-14-2012, 06:38 PM
yeah, Lin looks like a D-leaguer atm. Omer Asik is the best point guard on that team, so far.

Trader Joe
10-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Lin sucked last year too. That was the dirty little secret. He was force fed shots and took some teams by surprise. His turnover rate was just flat out horrible. He is not an NBA starting caliber pg.

Kstat
10-15-2012, 12:36 PM
That's an assessment made in hindsight. You can't handle the ball as often for as long as Lin did last season and not turn the ball over. It was his first real season of pro ball. Give the kid a break.

He was a very, very good player last season. That's not even a debate.

hackashaq
10-15-2012, 04:17 PM
I think he'll get up to speed, he spent most of his summer traveling around Asia. He did practice, but considering he also had a knee rehab and didn't exactly have the same summer Kobe etc would have in his situation, it's not extremely surprising. So far, even his drives look shakier than last year, and he still has trouble bringing the ball up under pressure.

Also, their system looks odd. He spots up in the corner a lot, which makes no sense to me. He also takes far less risks with his passes in the open court, which is probably by design.

I think he'll get better and they'll get better at using him.

Trophy
10-15-2012, 05:00 PM
I like Scott Machado's game as well. He's a solid PG.

pacer4ever
10-15-2012, 09:03 PM
No doubt about it Royce White had a major case of bus lag in the first quarter.

I think he air balled 4 times but that wasn't the bus lag showing he just cant shoot.

I bet DC will average 7-9apg this year he is in a friendly system for assists Kaman and Dirk will be his friends.

Kmart is on fire wish he tried on defense but as it is he is one of the best scorers. I wonder if we called about him this summer before signing Green.

J-Lamb is off tonight never seen him miss so badly

hackashaq
10-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Crowder is earning his roster spot.

Heisenberg
10-15-2012, 10:38 PM
AJ Price and Deron Williams apparently got into it

https://twitter.com/NYDNInterNets

Deron Williams had a brief shoving match with Wizards guard AJ Price in final min. 2night, then he roasted him in the press conference.

DWill on Price: "Maybe he had some boys in the crowd he wanted to impress while he can with the little minutes he's going to get this year."

More D-Will on Price: "I’m not a tough guy. I hate when people talk for no reason, and that’s pretty much what he did."

Price, a Long Island guy, kept telling D-Will "I'm home." After crowd got behind D-Will, he said, "This is my home now."

Trophy
10-15-2012, 10:42 PM
This is going to be a fun season. A lot of young teams on the rise.

hackashaq
10-15-2012, 10:45 PM
AJ Price and Deron Williams apparently got into it

https://twitter.com/NYDNInterNets

so one guy started arguing because he's from Long Island and nobody cared, and the other because he's not tough. Sigh...

rexnom
10-16-2012, 01:52 AM
I'm all in on the Nets as my adopted second NBA team close to where I actually live. Just love the vibe around that organization right now. They look like they're having fun and the whole experience looks fun. I'm definitely going to go catch some of their games next month.

hackashaq
10-16-2012, 04:31 AM
I'm all in on the Nets as my adopted second NBA team close to where I actually live. Just love the vibe around that organization right now. They look like they're having fun and the whole experience looks fun. I'm definitely going to go catch some of their games next month.

yep. i didn't expect much before turning on the game today, but they look fun.

Heisenberg
10-16-2012, 05:03 AM
buncha fugazis in here

Sparhawk
10-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Blatche played very well this preseason. 23min last night 16pts 8boards 2dimes 2steals 1block...just 1 TO.

I may be in the minority, but I really felt the Pacers should have picked this guy up. He's making as much as Lance. He's in a situation just like Green was. Green and the rest of our guys could have mentored him. Plus, he'd be the main backup PF on this squad in no time. Seriously, Hans and Pends as the main backup PFs? That will be one of the weakest spots for us...and heaven help us if West gets injured.

Aaron

CJ Jones
10-16-2012, 07:01 PM
Yeah the Nets looked good. If Brook Lopez can stay healthy he'll have a great year. They have so many weapons offensively that he won't be doubled nearly as much as in the past.

Ace E.Anderson
10-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Blatche played very well this preseason. 23min last night 16pts 8boards 2dimes 2steals 1block...just 1 TO.

I may be in the minority, but I really felt the Pacers should have picked this guy up. He's making as much as Lance. He's in a situation just like Green was. Green and the rest of our guys could have mentored him. Plus, he'd be the main backup PF on this squad in no time. Seriously, Hans and Pends as the main backup PFs? That will be one of the weakest spots for us...and heaven help us if West gets injured.

Aaron

I was JUST about to get on here and say "this is for Sparhawk" lol

Blatche has been playing out of his mind this pre season. Is in shape and playing hard. I know it's early but if he keeps this up its like having a bonafide starting PF coming off their bench.

vnzla81
10-16-2012, 08:18 PM
For those that thought Pierce was going to look old this year I'm sorry to inform you that he looks great.

vnzla81
10-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Wow I forgot that Brooklyn also got Watson, damn they are going to be good.

cdash
10-16-2012, 08:26 PM

They are hip. It's Brooklyn. Brooklyn is cool as ****. Ergo, the Nets are now cool. Judging by your Frank Ocean avatar, you gravitate towards hip at least a little. I approve. The evolution of the Nets and their fanbase is going to be very interesting. I like it.

hackashaq
10-16-2012, 08:56 PM
And the ultimate winner, as always, will be the Spirits of St. Louis.

cdash
10-16-2012, 09:00 PM

Aaron

We've danced with the crazy devil one too many times for my liking. The guy has undeniable talent--but he's also a bonehead and could disrupt the harmony in our locker room that was so good last season. I'll pass all day on that.

Derek2k3
10-16-2012, 09:05 PM
For those that thought Pierce was going to look old this year I'm sorry to inform you that he looks great.

Anyone that thinks Pierce isn't going to be a problem is kidding themselves. However, the question is how many minutes he has to log to get the Celtics into the playoffs with home court.

If he has to log a lot of minutes to keep Boston in the top 8 in the East, it'll be interesting to see how he plays in the second round of the playoffs (Obviously making a ton of assumptions here).

cdash
10-16-2012, 09:10 PM

He's looked old for a few years. He is old. But the dude is still a baller. He is crafty as hell.

vnzla81
10-16-2012, 09:14 PM
He's looked old for a few years. He is old. But the dude is still a baller. He is crafty as hell.

He looks in better shape than last year and the year before I think, he is moving better.

Derek2k3
10-16-2012, 09:20 PM
He looks in better shape than last year and the year before I think, he is moving better.

It'll be interesting to see if not dealing with the lockout issues helps older players, like Pierce.

Sparhawk
10-16-2012, 11:12 PM
I was JUST about to get on here and say "this is for Sparhawk" lol

Blatche has been playing out of his mind this pre season. Is in shape and playing hard. I know it's early but if he keeps this up its like having a bonafide starting PF coming off their bench.

I really have no idea why I signed my name on that. hahaha I was at work, so I must have been back and forth from this site and writing emails. Sign, sealed and delivered.

Even without Blatche, I'm mostly happy about our squad. Outside Hans and the blown pick with Plumlee (who is starting to grow on me), I really dig everyone on this team.

Hypnotiq
10-17-2012, 01:11 AM
Another good game from Drummond again must say i will be kinda jealous in the next few years Monroe and Drummond will be one hell of a frontcourt.

Kstat
10-17-2012, 01:42 AM
I could watch Monroe throw high post lobs to Drummond all game long....

Those two were born to play together. Frank is killing me by keeping the duo under wraps almost all preseason.

rexnom
10-17-2012, 02:52 AM
They are hip. It's Brooklyn. Brooklyn is cool as ****. Ergo, the Nets are now cool. Judging by your Frank Ocean avatar, you gravitate towards hip at least a little. I approve. The evolution of the Nets and their fanbase is going to be very interesting. I like it.
I just want to be one of the cool kids.

Ace E.Anderson
10-17-2012, 08:54 AM
We've danced with the crazy devil one too many times for my liking. The guy has undeniable talent--but he's also a bonehead and could disrupt the harmony in our locker room that was so good last season. I'll pass all day on that.

At what point does the risk outweigh the reward? Especially for a player on a non-guaranteed/partially guaranteed contract. The second he acts up, we cut him, waive him, or just don't have him come back. It bears zero harm to our salary cap, and if he turns out to play well, we are paying pennies to a really talented player.

BRushWithDeath
10-17-2012, 09:19 AM
The only effort Andray Blatche put into the last few seasons was to see how blatantly he could act like he didn't give a ****.

But in his defense, he was fantastic at it.

Sparhawk
10-17-2012, 10:55 AM
PJIII 30min 17pts 4boards 5dimes 1steal 1block

*sigh*

Eric Maynor had a real nice game too. If DJ is traded before the deadline or doesn't resign, I'd def like to get Reggie Jackson or Maynor from OKC.

LG33
10-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Kevin Love just broke his hand. He'll be out for 6-8 weeks! I feel bad for T-Wolves fans out there.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/20582035/kevin-love-out-6-8-weeks-with-broken-hand

Trader Joe
10-17-2012, 04:13 PM
They can't catch any good luck. When is Rubio supposed to be back? It will be tough for them to overcome this I think.

LG33
10-17-2012, 04:19 PM
They can't catch any good luck. When is Rubio supposed to be back? It will be tough for them to overcome this I think.

Especially now that Darko is in Boston!

Sookie
10-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Another good game from Drummond again must say i will be kinda jealous in the next few years Monroe and Drummond will be one hell of a frontcourt.

I'm not surprised.

Watching him at Uconn, he clearly had a lot of talent, he was just raw and didn't develop well in that one year he had, which I think slipped his draft position.

He is quite athletic and has very good reflexes and good hands - just not goofy, and usually big guys are. But he used to be able to steal the ball from guards, which is unusual for someone his size. (I don't expect he'll be able to do that in the NBA, but it's likely to be part of his defense against post players who try to dribble.) He just lacks fundamentals. With his talent, a team will work with him on that.

hackashaq
10-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Valanciunas is just awesome. I hope he stays healthy, he plays kind of reckless for a big.

wow. whoever's not watching, should check youtube later for Valanciunas move and dunk on Okafor. It'll probably be there.

Lowry's back, btw. The Raptors look good. Although Nash-Valanciunas combo would've been fun...

Okafor is getting revenge on Valanciunas. Oh well.

Dwayne Casey seems like a ridiculous upgrade over Toronto's previous coach. Bargnani defends. No more screens for DeRozan at 20 ft and he's not being developed into a Kobe anymore, just cuts and muscles inside. DeRozan might actually amount to something now, especially if he starts to defend.

Doddage
10-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Same here... they've had some nice draft luck the past few years with Monroe, Knight, and Drummond all falling to their picks. Guys who were top rated prospects out of high school, at the 7th, 8th, and 9th picks. Nice value.

hackashaq
10-17-2012, 11:21 PM
I won't be surprised if the Jazz win 50+ this year. That's what i call smashmouth basketball. and they have a ton of athleticism too.

'my oh my':

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M_CVAJBIwTA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M_CVAJBIwTA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

and here's the Valanciunas move on Okafor from earlier today:

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HIszf--HaO0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HIszf--HaO0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

vnzla81
10-18-2012, 09:55 PM
They are showing the Celtics/Brooklyn game on TNT right now for those that want to watch the 4th quarter.

LG33
10-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Jason Terry should be the subject of all post-game interviews.

MvPlumlee
10-19-2012, 01:12 AM
I'm very curious to see that new generation of centers (Valanciunas, Davis, Drummond) go head to head with Hibbert.
They are talented, athletic, quick, don't have bad hands or a very low IQ.

It scares me a bit to be honest. Competition at center has been pretty weak the last few years. What if there is a revival and these three are only the first of many more talented athletic centers to come?

vnzla81
10-19-2012, 08:23 PM
It looks like Felton lost two Feltons, he looks great.

hackashaq
10-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Valanciunas has huge tunnel vision on post ups, the Knicks are exploiting it right now. It will take a few years before his moves are reliable, but man is he trying hard on those post ups, sometimes it looks like his spine will break. I think he gets pissed when someone scores on him and he tries to get back.
But he still has PnR and offensive boards for now.

Valanciunas: 10 boards in 23 minutes, and over 9000 positive plays that don't show up in boxscore. i just can't stop saying he's awesome. he's no super athlete or super strong (yet), but he has so much toughness for a 20 year old and so much energy, incredible to watch. a 7 ft super long Kenneth Faried?

vnzla81
10-20-2012, 11:22 PM
@EllisD69: @MikeWellsNBA AJ Price 17 and 11 tonight. Rotted on the bench here. Fans bashed him. No idea why. Loved his game. Good for him.

10-20-2012, 11:24 PM
@EllisD69: @MikeWellsNBA AJ Price 17 and 11 tonight. Rotted on the bench here. Fans bashed him. No idea why. Loved his game. Good for him.

I thought Jim O'Brien was right, A.J. Price was a steal. That doesn't mean he was a starter, however as second round picks go, I though A.J. Price was an excellent player. He will play well in Washington. Good for A.J. Price.

daschysta
10-20-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm very curious to see that new generation of centers (Valanciunas, Davis, Drummond) go head to head with Hibbert.
They are talented, athletic, quick, don't have bad hands or a very low IQ.

It scares me a bit to be honest. Competition at center has been pretty weak the last few years. What if there is a revival and these three are only the first of many more talented athletic centers to come?

Hibbert plays pretty well against the best centers in the league because he's one of them. He'll be fine. Davis is going to be a star, but Val and Drum are a few years away from being at his level, if they end up getting there. He doesn't lose his touch, length or size advantage against anyone.

10-20-2012, 11:31 PM
In a handful of preseason games this is what I have learned:

[1] Signing Ian Mahinmi and Gerald Green to multi-year deals was wise. [2] Ian Mahinmi could start on some NBA teams. He will contribute to the Pacers as they prepare to contend. Furthermore, he will be a valuable asset, particularly after a few years of maturation. Don't misunderstand what I am saying, he could start on some teams. However, in two to three years, some teams may mean many teams. [3] Gerald Green will apply pressure to his opponents and Paul George. Paul George has a backup. Has he ever had a backup? I suppose Leandro Barbosa was a backup, but he was most certainly out of his prime. Gerald Green however has a high ceiling, and I'm not basing that off of his jumping ability. I think Gerald Green will be a contender for sixth man of the year. If nothing else, Lance Stephenson will struggle to find playing time next to Gerald Green. Dang.

Sookie
10-20-2012, 11:42 PM
I thought Jim O'Brien was right, A.J. Price was a steal. That doesn't mean he was a starter, however as second round picks go, I though A.J. Price was an excellent player. He will play well in Washington. Good for A.J. Price.

He had Jimmy and his crazy (I'll call it that to be nice) coaching to deal with his rookie season and the first half of his second. And then the situation with Vogel (the style Frank needed him to play in the second Unit..aka..DC's game.) combined with recovering from injuries/inconsistent playing time/whatever got in his head with his shot resulted in inconsistent (at best) play from him.

Bottom line is, AJ Price is that solid player that's good enough to help a team, but not quite good enough for a team to invest in him, particularly with the injury concerns. And his style of play doesn't scream potential.

I'm a fan because I like the style of point guard play that he plays. It's atypical in the NBA. (True point guard who keeps the ball moving instead of dominating it.) No, I don't think he's the most talented guy. (I do think he's quite bright though.) But I like the style. I hope he does well given this opportunity.

BTW: Frank did have an obvious effect on the kid. He's all anti-flopping now. Said he doesn't flop, and chewed out a teammate for flopping in practice. :X

Heisenberg
10-21-2012, 03:12 AM
Austin Rivers putting up about 9ppg on ~30% shooting. It's preseason and all but that dude's the next Jerryd Bayless.

hackashaq
10-21-2012, 03:33 AM
Hibbert plays pretty well against the best centers in the league because he's one of them. He'll be fine. Davis is going to be a star, but Val and Drum are a few years away from being at his level, if they end up getting there. He doesn't lose his touch, length or size advantage against anyone.

That's probably true. I think all 3 have potential to be better than Hibbert, though.
I haven't seen Davis much this preseason, and the little i saw he was at PF, so I can't comment there (but I thought he looked awesome when i watched him in the Olympics).
The other two guys look like legit starters already and their upside seems just mind blowing.
But who knows. First and foremost, will they stay healthy? Drummond is massive and a leaper, and Valanciunas plays so recklessly for a 7 footer sometimes that he's already had a ton of twisted ankles and other small injuries, including in this Toronto camp. Staying healthy is a talent too, especially for a center. Also, we have to see Drummond over the course of the season. The big worry for teams was his coasting in some games, and I haven't seen anything like it so far; but what about playing hard for 82 games? that will determine if his upside is a superstar, or something far less.

xIndyFan
10-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Drummond, Valanciunas and Davis have the potential to be better than Roy from the neck down. It is easy to find guys that are faster or quicker or jump higher than Roy. JaVale McGee is the poster child there. But there is much more to being a really quality big than just simple physical tools. It is about learning to use those tools and learning the skills while pushing around really big guys. There is where ROy makes him elite. If Drummond has Roy's mental talents, he would have been the run away choice for the first pick in the draft and people would be comparing him to wilt and shaq and bill russell. But he's never shown those mental skills at UConn or Detroit yet. Maybe he will learn to play. Maybe not. It is way to easy to see the physical potential of a young guy and assume he will realize it. Before those guys will be better than Roy, they have to learn how to play.

That's probably true. I think all 3 have potential to be better than Hibbert, though.
I haven't seen Davis much this preseason, and the little i saw he was at PF, so I can't comment there (but I thought he looked awesome when i watched him in the Olympics).
The other two guys look like legit starters already and their upside seems just mind blowing.
But who knows. First and foremost, will they stay healthy? Drummond is massive and a leaper, and Valanciunas plays so recklessly for a 7 footer sometimes that he's already had a ton of twisted ankles and other small injuries, including in this Toronto camp. Staying healthy is a talent too, especially for a center. Also, we have to see Drummond over the course of the season. The big worry for teams was his coasting in some games, and I haven't seen anything like it so far; but what about playing hard for 82 games? that will determine if his upside is a superstar, or something far less.

PacerDude
10-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Austin Rivers putting up about 9ppg on ~30% shooting. It's preseason and all but that dude's the next Jerryd Bayless.Agreed. If Doc wasn't his Dad, Austin wouldn't be in the NBA.

hackashaq
10-21-2012, 11:01 AM
Drummond, Valanciunas and Davis have the potential to be better than Roy from the neck down. It is easy to find guys that are faster or quicker or jump higher than Roy. JaVale McGee is the poster child there. But there is much more to being a really quality big than just simple physical tools. It is about learning to use those tools and learning the skills while pushing around really big guys. There is where ROy makes him elite. If Drummond has Roy's mental talents, he would have been the run away choice for the first pick in the draft and people would be comparing him to wilt and shaq and bill russell. But he's never shown those mental skills at UConn or Detroit yet. Maybe he will learn to play. Maybe not. It is way to easy to see the physical potential of a young guy and assume he will realize it. Before those guys will be better than Roy, they have to learn how to play.

saying that the current Drummond/Valanciunas hype is based on 'simple physical tools' is doing very little justice to their play this preseason.

Kstat
10-21-2012, 01:01 PM
So far, drummonds motor is the absolute last thing I'm worrying about....

He plays the game like Dwight Howard did at the same age. See rim, attack rim.

Drummond's per-30 minute averages through 6 preseason games:

17 points
10 rebounds
2.6 blocks

His foul rate is a bit high, but his turnover rate is pretty low too, so you're kind of taking the good with the bad at this point.

He just turned 19 a few months ago. He's the 2nd youngest player in the NBA. I'd be happy if we got any sort of production out of him in year one.

cdash
10-21-2012, 01:05 PM
Agreed. If Doc wasn't his Dad, Austin wouldn't be in the NBA.

That's a little strong...

Kstat
10-22-2012, 06:13 AM
Austin is in terrible situation in New Orleans. He isn't a PG and yet they've drafted him to be one and his only reliable offensive weapon is hurt all the time.

Kstat
10-22-2012, 06:18 AM
..keeping in mind that it is only preseason, this is pretty much Drummond's entire highlight tape...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HB8oo1wSq1s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WkQg65PGqSo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j2i7MVYcjVo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XOMixxM-wnU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kWAQTS5P89E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nuntius
10-22-2012, 06:32 AM
Have I sad how high I'm on Valanciunas yet? No? Well, let me say it.

He will be the reason I'll be watching the Raptors this year. I also tried to watch Lietuvos last year but it wasn't as easy.

Hypnotiq
10-22-2012, 06:33 AM
Will defiantly be watching a lot of Pistons game's this year i am very curious to see the Monroe and Drummond twin towers experiment.

Kstat
10-22-2012, 06:42 AM
Have I sad how high I'm on Valanciunas yet? No? Well, let me say it.

He will be the reason I'll be watching the Raptors this year. I also tried to watch Lietuvos last year but it wasn't as easy.

I caught a couple Lietuvos Rytas games last season. I think Valanciunas is going to be an all-star eventually. The Cavs were insane for passing on him for Thompson.

Nuntius
10-22-2012, 06:53 AM
I caught a couple Lietuvos Rytas games last season. I think Valanciunas is going to be an all-star eventually. The Cavs were insane for passing on him for Thompson.

I like Thompson a lot but I certainly agree with you on this.

I think that the big man pairings that took place in this draft are ideal.

Cousins + Robinson and Monroe + Drummond are amazing fits.

I'm not particularly high on Drummond as a player individually (he has huge upside but he is also the least safe bet out of the Valanciunas, Robinson, Drummond trio) but next to Monroe he is put in a position to succeed. Put him in New Orleans for example and he could bust quite easily. But playing next to Monroe is going to be ideal for a kid like him.

LG33
10-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Is "Flight" White going to be in the Knicks rotation when the games matter?

pacer4ever
10-22-2012, 10:05 PM

No kidding not only was Val a much better player he was a much better fit. I can only imagine how happy Kyrie would be running PnR with Val.

Taking Tristan at #4 and then doing the same the next year with Waiters is beyond shocking. I guess their GM just falls in love with players there really is no other explanation. I agree with that assessment he may take awhile to get there like Tyson Chandler did but he has way too much talent and skill not to get there IMO. I liked him more than Kanter he was #2 on my big board behind Kyrie. When you get gifts you have to take them props to the Raptors for being patient and willing to wait for Val.

shags
10-22-2012, 10:07 PM
No kidding not only was Val a much better player he was a much better fit. I can only imagine how happy Kyrie would be running PnR with Val.

Taking Tristan at #4 and then doing the same the next year with Waiters is beyond shocking. I guess their GM just falls in love with players there really is no other explanation. I agree with that assessment he may take awhile to get there like Tyson Chandler did but he has way too much talent and skill not to get there IMO. I liked him more than Kanter he was #2 on my big board behind Kyrie. When you get gifts you have to take them props to the Raptors for being patient and willing to wait for Val.

Cavs are one of the big teams in using advanced stats to evaluate and scout players. Both Thompson and Waiters measured out real well in that metric.

hackashaq
10-23-2012, 01:42 AM
Cavs are one of the big teams in using advanced stats to evaluate and scout players. Both Thompson and Waiters measured out real well in that metric.

yeah, that's what i suspect too. the Cavs are very much into stats lately, and overall into advanced research (they study their players running patters, speed, effort in every game, high level stuff).

They probably have something for scouting too, though I doubt it's nearly as advanced... Combine with every media statistician being pro- Thompson and Waiters. Sadly, it's not easy to measure a Euro.

Kstat
10-23-2012, 05:55 AM
Advanced stats in basketball are an in exact science at best, and misleading as hell at worst. In the case of Thompson, I'm betting it was the latter.

Heisenberg
10-23-2012, 06:40 AM
Advanced stats in basketball are an in exact science at best, and misleading as hell at worst. In the case of Thompson, I'm betting it was the latter.
Oh, you mean Tristan, not Klay. Interchangeable though.

pacer4ever
10-23-2012, 10:03 AM

I though they picked Thompson because they fell in love with his work ethic. But ya his advanced were pretty good in college. I didn't see much skill cerntinly not enoght to warranty a top 10 pick. Ditto on Waiters. Although they didn't meet with him because he had a promise so stats probablly played a bigger role as his backround isn't anything good.

Ace E.Anderson
10-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Two things from the OKC/CHI preseason game.
1. James Harden looked pretty bad as the primary offensive option (KD and Westbrook didn't play) obviously it's just pre season but dude just struggled with a defensive team focused on him.
2. Perry Jones is a player. I really hate the Pacers didn't pick this guy up. If he stays healthy he's either a crazy big 3, or a stretch 4 who's big enough to actually guard 4's. Again I know it's pre season, but he's puttin up double figure averages and looking like a natural. He obviously won't get much burn during the season but he looks like a great prospect.

beast23
10-23-2012, 10:27 PM
1. James Harden looked pretty bad as the primary offensive option (KD and Westbrook didn't play) obviously it's just pre season but dude just struggled with a defensive team focused on him.
2. Perry Jones is a player. I really hate the Pacers didn't pick this guy up. If he stays healthy he's either a crazy big 3, or a stretch 4 who's big enough to actually guard 4's. Again I know it's pre season, but he's puttin up double figure averages and looking like a natural. He obviously won't get much burn during the season but he looks like a great prospect.
I was a PJ fan as well. I have family who live just down the road from his HS at Duncanville, TX. My nephew was also the sports editor at Baylor, so I've followed Jones for quite some time. He had been projected a top 10 lottery pick as a freshman. Considering his substantial skills and athleticism, it was surprising to me to see him drop so low.

I was hoping the Pacers would take a chance on him. But dropping so low does raise a huge red flag.

Sparhawk
10-23-2012, 10:38 PM
Kemba Walker has shot about 30% this preseason.

Over/under that Walker shoots over 40%? I say under. 38%...above his rookie seasons 37%.

Sparhawk
10-23-2012, 10:39 PM

Yep. As long as PJIII stays healthy, I think we'll look back and PJIII will have a much better career. *sigh*

vnzla81
10-26-2012, 09:31 PM
The Hornets front court is looking good.

vnzla81
10-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Wade is crying again.

vnzla81
10-26-2012, 10:04 PM
Great game, New Orleans doesn't go away.

Doddage
10-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Anthony Davis.

hackashaq
10-27-2012, 06:04 AM
it will be interesting to see who Houston cuts. They don't have much dead weight. They'll have to cut one or two pretty good vets, or promising youngsters.

wintermute
10-27-2012, 07:45 AM
it will be interesting to see who Houston cuts. They don't have much dead weight. They'll have to cut one or two pretty good vets, or promising youngsters.

Yup. So far, Brockman (injured) seems to be the only lock to be cut. Other candidates:

JaJuan Johnson - guy I'm hoping for. He's barely played in the preseason so far. OTOH, young promising big on rookie contract - who cuts guys like that?

Greg Smith - young project big, undrafted a year ago. Was PG's college teammate. Would seem an obvious cut, but he seems to be a bit of a pet project (e.g. like Lance here)

Machado - has lot of fans on this board (p4e, etc). Competing with two vets though (Douglas and Livingston) for backup PG.

Livingston - would seem another obvious cut, but his partially guaranteed contract would be very useful in trade, much more than say Machado. I could see Houston choosing to hang on to him until the trade deadline.

Gary Forbes - positionally, he's the least expendable. But he's not really a high upside guy, so I could see the Rockets choosing someone else.

Going strictly by value, I think Forbes is the 2nd guy to go, and I think there are more or less equal cases for JJJ, Smith, Machado, and Livingston as the 3rd guy. All would be decent pickups IMO.

wintermute
10-27-2012, 08:25 AM
Since it's technically still preseason... Philly apparently isn't close to signing Jrue Holiday to a contract extension.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/sports/sixers/holiday-seeks-contract-extension/article_53d5c1ee-de0c-54f1-87df-c9b30560ce88.html

On the same day in which the 76ers announced they had picked up the fourth-year option on Evan Turner, Jrue Holiday confirmed that he’d love a new contract of his own.

The Sixers have until Wednesday’s season opener to agree on a contract extension with Holiday, the team’s starting point guard.

Holiday, the 17th pick in the 2009 draft, will earn $2.7 million this year. If he doesn’t get an extension, the Sixers could offer Holiday $3.8 million next summer, which would make him a restricted free agent.

“I definitely want an extension,” Holiday said after Thursday’s two-hour practice. “I want to play here. I feel comfortable. It’s like family to me. But it’s kind of out of my hands. I’ve just got to go out and play every day.”

Agent Tony Dutt and Holiday are believed to be seeking a four- or five-year deal (which the Sixers could only give Holiday if they use the one-time designated player exception) starting at close to the maximum allowable $13.6 million.

The Sixers have reportedly offered a pact beginning closer to $9 million.

“I do think it should be fair,” said Holiday, who insists the lack of extension wouldn’t affect him on the court. “But, again, it’s really up to them. If they come out and I like the number they offer, then yeah (I’d sign). If not, then, hey, what can I do?”

Sixers president Rod Thorn didn’t return an email on the subject by press time.

I think I'd rather have Holiday at $9m per than Hill at $8m per, but Holiday at max $$$? Man. Though I guess he'll end up in the $10-11m per year range, the way these negotiations seem to go.

Sparhawk
10-27-2012, 08:38 AM
Since it's technically still preseason... Philly apparently isn't close to signing Jrue Holiday to a contract extension.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/sports/sixers/holiday-seeks-contract-extension/article_53d5c1ee-de0c-54f1-87df-c9b30560ce88.html

I think I'd rather have Holiday at $9m per than Hill at $8m per, but Holiday at max $$$? Man. Though I guess he'll end up in the $10-11m per year range, the way these negotiations seem to go.

Holiday a max guy? LMAO!!! His numbers are similar to Hill's starter numbers I think. I don't see Holiday getting more than Hill honestly. He better have a breakout year this season if he wants more.

Sparhawk
10-27-2012, 08:53 AM
The Kittens are just awful.

Mullens - 25 shots for 16pts
Walkter - 17 shots for 6pts!
Henderson - 20 shots for 17pts

Mayo almost had a triple dub for the Mavs. 1 assist shy.

MvPlumlee
10-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Does anyone know where to find preseason stats team by team? I can't find that on NBA.com, so I have to search them one by one.

Stephenson 10/41 2FG
1/11 3FG
Ben Hansbrough leading the league in Ast/To 12/1

I know it's preseason, but there is always a small truth in it.

Sookie
10-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Kemba Walker has shot about 30% this preseason.

Over/under that Walker shoots over 40%? I say under. 38%...above his rookie seasons 37%.

He's not, and never has been a great shooter. He makes the ones that matter, but his percentages were never great.

My guess is he will shoot around 40% because I think he'll get more calls now that he's not a rookie, so he'll go to the line on a few of his missed close range shots.

Deadshot
10-27-2012, 04:46 PM
The Kittens are just awful.

Mullens - 25 shots for 16pts
Walkter - 17 shots for 6pts!
Henderson - 20 shots for 17pts

Mayo almost had a triple dub for the Mavs. 1 assist shy.

And MKG can't shoot lol. But hey, I got a great deal on Bobcats season tickets this year :)

pacer4ever
10-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Yup. So far, Brockman (injured) seems to be the only lock to be cut. Other candidates:

JaJuan Johnson - guy I'm hoping for. He's barely played in the preseason so far. OTOH, young promising big on rookie contract - who cuts guys like that?

Greg Smith - young project big, undrafted a year ago. Was PG's college teammate. Would seem an obvious cut, but he seems to be a bit of a pet project (e.g. like Lance here)

Machado - has lot of fans on this board (p4e, etc). Competing with two vets though (Douglas and Livingston) for backup PG.

Livingston - would seem another obvious cut, but his partially guaranteed contract would be very useful in trade, much more than say Machado. I could see Houston choosing to hang on to him until the trade deadline.

Gary Forbes - positionally, he's the least expendable. But he's not really a high upside guy, so I could see the Rockets choosing someone else.

Going strictly by value, I think Forbes is the 2nd guy to go, and I think there are more or less equal cases for JJJ, Smith, Machado, and Livingston as the 3rd guy. All would be decent pickups IMO.

Greg Smith isnt a pet project kid can play. I still have a few questions motor wise but I really liked him at Fresno. I liked him last year he and Morris played well in the Dleague(I dont like Morris at all) I think he makes the rotation in the near future. I see the Rockets doing the same thing with Machado that they did with Greg last year keep him on the 15 man roster and send him to their own Dleague team to develop him within the Rocket system just like they did with Smith.

Trophy
10-27-2012, 07:14 PM
And MKG can't shoot lol. But hey, I got a great deal on Bobcats season tickets this year :)

I'm going to their season opener, our second game of the year. Should be a fun night with their fans. :laugh:

Kstat
10-27-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm obviously going to the two bobcats pistons matchups.

Sparhawk
10-27-2012, 07:40 PM
If Greg Smith gets cut, and though I know it won't happen, I'd love for the Pacers to sign him. If only he could replace Pends.

Deadshot
10-27-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm going to their season opener, our second game of the year. Should be a fun night with their fans. :laugh:

Will be a little more active atmosphere than normal. Season opener has half price concessions. Last year they played the Bucks in a close game and almost sold out.

hackashaq
10-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen

Rockets expected to officially waive Gary Forbes, Jon Brockman and JaJuan Johnson on Monday, source said. Still must make 2 more cuts.

looks like you might still get your wish ;)

Trader Joe
10-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Chances that Kemba ends up being Jonny Flynn 2.0? Looking pretty solid right now

Doddage
10-28-2012, 12:09 PM
I'd love to pick up JaJuan... we'd have to cut Ben Hans though.

wintermute
10-28-2012, 12:10 PM
looks like you might still get your wish ;)

Yeah, but JJJ still needs to clear waivers... And no guarantee that Pacers actually want to sign him. But it's a start :)

pacer4ever
10-28-2012, 01:01 PM
I'd love to pick up JaJuan... we'd have to cut Ben Hans though.

Id do that in a heart beat and im not a J.J fan at all for the NBA. But I hope we wait and pick up someone like that. Justin Harper I like for development he totally changed his body in one summer I want to see what he can do with more time.

I would cut Ben and add someone but until the final cuts not sure who it should be.

wintermute
10-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Id do that in a heart beat and im not a J.J fan at all for the NBA. But I hope we wait and pick up someone like that. Justin Harper I like for development he totally changed his body in one summer I want to see what he can do with more time.

I would cut Ben and add someone but until the final cuts not sure who it should be.

I like JJJ because I think he has the potential to be a 2-way player in the mold of Taj Gibson. Still a long way off for him though.

Harper seems a decent prospect as well, though to be honest I know little about him other than he's a stretch 4. Could certainly use that in our big man mix though.

hackashaq
10-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Denver extended Lawson

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Ty Lawson's extension with Denver is four years, $48 million, league source tells Y! Sports.