PDA

View Full Version : Pacers are one of three teams excluded from national tv televised games.

wtelfair
09-30-2012, 02:35 PM
The Pacers, Atlanta, and Charlotte were not scheduled on NBA TV, ESPN, and TNT for any of the 26 scheduled preseason games. Where is the love for our team after having such a very good season? This schedule is located on NBA.com.

AugustinGrangerHill
09-30-2012, 02:37 PM
atleast we have 5 regular season televised games, we only had 1 last year

PGisthefuture
09-30-2012, 02:55 PM
atleast we have 5 regular season televised games, we only had 1 last year

True, and I guess we kinda need to be used to it by now. I still don't understand what this team has to do to get some national attention though. 5 games doesn't seem like enough for a team that just took the champs to a 6 game playoff series.

Just went through the whole schedule on nba.com and the Knicks have 27 national televised games if you include the NBA TV ones...

Mad-Mad-Mario
09-30-2012, 02:57 PM
How good you are doesn't dictate how many national TV games you get. Its how popular you are combined with how good you are.

PGisthefuture
09-30-2012, 03:01 PM
How good you are doesn't dictate how many national TV games you get. Its how popular you are combined with how good you are.

Yes, but how popular a team is basically relies on how often the networks such as TNT and ESPN show your team. If they don't show your team that often then they will never get very popular nationally.

Mad-Mad-Mario
09-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Yes, but how popular a team is basically relies on how often the networks such as TNT and ESPN show your team. If they don't show your team that often then they will never get very popular nationally.

Not really, unless Indiana had a guy like Lebron, no matter how much national exposure we get its not going to expand the fanbase all that much.

graphic-er
09-30-2012, 04:16 PM
yes, you can bet for preseason they are going with established big market teams that they can spend 2 hours talking about relentlessly, because preseason NBA sucks, and you need popular teams to justify a nationally televised game in October.

PGisthefuture
09-30-2012, 05:17 PM
Not really, unless Indiana had a guy like Lebron, no matter how much national exposure we get its not going to expand the fanbase all that much.

I'm not saying that it will necessarily help to expand the fanbase, I'm saying more outsiders and average NBA fans will take more notice to our team. They will realize that we are the real deal kinda like they started to in last year's Miami series. It makes them more popular in the sense that the average fans know who the Pacers are.

BlueNGold
09-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Notice that none of those teams have a supa-staw. The media simply doesn't get excited about Granger hitting a 3rd quarter 3 pointer.

adamscb
09-30-2012, 05:53 PM
So let me get this straight, we get a few games on ESPN when we weren't well known. Now that almost everyone knows who we are, we don't get any? This smells like David Stern oppressing small-market teams...

Unclebuck
09-30-2012, 06:11 PM
I don't care about preseason games

Sandman21
09-30-2012, 06:25 PM
You know things are good when we are complaining that none of our games that DON'T EVEN COUNT are being nationally televised.

Heisenberg
09-30-2012, 06:25 PM
Man, you'd have figured a Blake Ahearn and Orlando Johnson backcourt that'll play 30 minutes would get people hyped!

Who cares guys.

FlavaDave
10-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Yeah, preseason = whatever.

But to the point about regular season national TV coverage:

I had an epic post about this about a year ago, but I'll summerize. The Pacers won't have a chance to build a Steelers-like national fanbase until they have a couple decades of sustained excellence and many titles. However, our lack of national TV coverage did have an impact on the fanbase.

Having strong ESPN, etc. coverage of the Pacers helps validate the success of the Pacers to the Indiana fanbase. Our friends and neighbors. AKA the casual fan that, so far, hasn't shown up to the BiLF despite the team's success. It is frustrating that I still meet knowledgable sports fans that say "Are the Pacers any good this year?" A heavy dose of national coverage will go a long way to fixing that.

naptownmenace
10-02-2012, 03:18 PM
The Pacers have 12 nationally televised games this year. That's compared to just 1 game last year.

ESPN - 5
NBATV -5
TNT - 2
ABC - 0

All of the games are against top-notch opponents too. Boston, NY, Chicago, LA Clippers, Memphis, Miami, and OKC. They're getting some respect and it's possible that they could pick up another Tuesday night game on NBATV's Fan Game of the Night if they are matched up against a good opponent on a Tuesday night.

Ratings are king in the NBA so you can't ever expect the Pacers to have as many televised games as the Lakers, Knicks, Thunder, Heat, Bulls, or Mavs. Those teams each have Superstars and with the exception of OKC, a huge TV market.

ChicagoJ
10-02-2012, 08:58 PM
They're doing national broadcasts of preseason games? Why?? Please, people, boycott these broadcasts until the regular season starts. Who really cares which team's final cuts will outscore another team's final cuts?

:yuck: