PDA

View Full Version : What if it didn't happen in Detroit?

stipo
11-25-2004, 10:32 AM
Pardon me for starting another thread about the Detroit Debacle. But I think that I have another angle on the subject.

We've all heard the statement "Most other NBA players would've done the same thing as Ron if they were hit by something from the stands." In fact, we all know that this is NOT the first time a player has gone into the stands to smack some lunatic fan (even if it is being treated like the first time by the media). Cornbread Maxwell has admitted doing it. Jerry Sloan has talked about going doing it after being hit by a battery. Etc, etc. Again, this is NOT the first time a player has gone into the stands.

What was really NEW and different about this time was that it went way beyond a singular confrontation between a fan or two and a player. Obviously, the craziness spread to a LOT of the other fans in the arena. Instead of staying a confrontation in a small section of the Palace, the insanity spread like a virus.

Instead of asking what other player wouldn't have acted like Artest, I ask what other NBA fans would've acted like Detroits'.

I'm sure many of you have visited other arenas. What's your take on the subject?

From seeing games on TV, I have some opinions.

L.A. - No way
MSG- I really don't think so. A little too smart.
Philly- Probably would've acted the same if not worse.
San Antonino- Probably not.

Comments?

edit: I'm sure someone will point out it was VERNON Maxwell. But Cedric "Cornbread" Maxwell did it to.

Vicious Tyrant
11-25-2004, 10:46 AM
Hmmmm...good take.

Its hard to say - if I was sitting near the action before I had kids, I might have been tempted to jump into the fracas...until I saw Ron's jab to the face of the guy who wanted in on the action.

Overall, I think it could ~possibly~ happen elsewhere, but Detroit and Philly are the most likely places.

A good point, and another reason why the one-sidedness of Stern's decision bites the sausage.

ROCislandWarrior
11-25-2004, 02:59 PM
Boston???

I think Boston is up there with Philly and Detroit

Milwaukee - Never

ABADays
11-25-2004, 03:06 PM
But it did happen in Detroit.

pollardfreek
11-25-2004, 03:09 PM
Just be thankful it wasn't the Coliseum in Oakland. There are some pretty crazy people there.

JOneal7
11-25-2004, 05:45 PM
what about orlando? lmao...a fan threw a beer on bobby jackson when he tryed fighting tmac a few years back,hah iit was funny

Deadshot
11-25-2004, 05:47 PM
what about orlando? lmao...a fan threw a beer on bobby jackson when he tryed fighting tmac a few years back,hah iit was funny

I'm sure every arena has minor incidents like this sooner or later, though.

mmxx
11-25-2004, 06:33 PM
It would NEVER have escalated to the level it did had either one of the following not been true:

- Ron Artest's over exaggerated reputation of being a "crazy" man

- the bitterness resulted from Carlisle's history with Pistons organization, the fact that his team just keep coming to Detroit and beat the hell out of their own team

Had it been any other team than Detroit, or had it been any other visiting team's player who jumped in Detroit stand, IMO this would never have escalated to a riot.

the fact that it did on national TV was just beyond unfortunate.

FiestyFosterFanatic
11-25-2004, 07:18 PM
There's not too many arena's where I think something like this would happen.

Atlanta- no way, they don't even have fans.
Boston- there is a possibility. I think if they were good, there is a chance it might happen.
Charlotte- nope, not with an expansion team.
Chicago- maybe. I think if they were a better team, there would be the possibility. Cubs and White Sox have had many incidents.
Cleveland- no.
Dallas- no way, I don't think Mark Cuban would put up with that crap.
Denver- no.
Golden State- see Atlanta.
Houston- no.
Indiana- no, our fans have class. We respect the game.
LA Clippers- everyone would run like scared little girls.
LA Lakers- see clippers.
Memphis- no, laid back people.
Miami- nope. Unless the cuban population goes to the games.
Milwaukee- nope, not a strong following.
Minnesota- I think it could happen. Something with the hockey attitude.
New Jersey- Yes. East coast is crazy.
New York- see NJ
New Orleans- nobody cares about the Hornets
Orlando- Mickey Mouse wouldn't allow it.
Philly- yes. see, NJ
Phoenix- probably not.
Portland- There's a chance, they do support the Jail Blazers
Sacremento- Yes, they stand behind their team strongly
San Antonio- probably not
Seattle- probably not
Utah- Mormons don't fight
Toronto- Yes, they are canadian. canadians like hockey
Washington- Yes, see NJ.

Deadshot
11-25-2004, 07:26 PM
"Utah- Mormons don't fight"

Funniest thing I've read all day :laugh:

People will think I'm crazy for this, but I think Miami could get out of hand. From the games I have watched, their crowd seems very into the game and energetic.

sweabs
11-25-2004, 07:46 PM
Toronto- Yes, they are canadian. canadians like hockey

I don't think it would ever happen in Canada. We don't fight :laugh: People are very laid back, despite the entire "hockey image" we receive. There are also a lot of families that go to Raptors games, and a lot of kids.