PDA

View Full Version : In light of new info, I'm reconsidering my position on the suspensions....

Peck
11-25-2004, 06:11 AM
I have known about David Harrison from early on, I'm certain that I kept telling people that. I had always assumed that the N.B.A. just missed it or I even assumed that maybe they had differant angles than I did to look at (which I'm sure they do).

But now that the official word has come down that they knew/know about Harrison & that they are just letting it go because of the circumstances in the vomitorium, I am having a real problem reconciling the suspension for Jackson.

I know that he is being offered up by Pacers fans as the sacrificial lamb because let's face it he was acting like a thug on the floor prior to the actual brawl. But let's evaluate the circumstance.

He came around the corner of the fan that Ron had, we will never know if he was going to get the fan or to get Ron. But immediately a coke was thrown at Ron but it also struck Jax. Jackson in turn hit the fan once across the face. He then wanted to continue after him but was restrained by Gill. Then the bald fan started hitting Ron from behind, Ron broke free & nailed him. At this time Jax turned & hit the bald man once before again being drug away by Gill.

That's it, that's all I know he did. Now I'm not condoning it & I'm even fine with the games if that is the standard.

But here is what I know about the incident with Harrison. J.O. was going out the tunnel with police in front & behind him. Harrison was immediately behind him. A fan in a grey long sleeve shirt threw what looked to me like hard liquire right in J.O.'s face. J.O. immediately turned to face him & gave a menacing look & appeared like he wanted to go after him. Then out of the blue Harrison lands a straight right. Hitting so hard it knocks both the fan & Harrison over. Harrison is swarmed & it's just impossible to tell what happens from there.

Here is my problem. The fan did not throw this on Harrison, he was just going to the help of J.O.

He did nothing more & nothing less than Jackson did.

I am not reconsidering J.O. because, IMO, differant circumstance. He hit a guy on his knees who had done nothing to him.

Either Harrison should have been suspended or Jackson should not have been. I don't see the differance.

If the league is now stating that the confusion on the ramp was justification then I have no idea how they can claim there wasn't confusion in the stands.

Something is rotten with this one.

JOneal7
11-25-2004, 06:54 AM
stern basically is saying "Jax was in the stands" Harrison was leaving the court... he wasn't trying to do anything. So Jax who went into the stands and did do something got the hammer on him. That's just how it is. His actions on the floor didn't help either ...throwing his hands up and stuff. I like the fact he backed the guys tho...I condone everything our guys did. It was all fine. Because no one should just be a punk because they are an athlete. No one deserves the treatment our guys got.
and hah! a guy on the radio said it best... "Our Team beat up an entire stadium"
Now our guys are to hood,lol...awesome...

JOneal7
11-25-2004, 06:55 AM
ps..we are the bad boys of 04-05! LOL

Bball
11-25-2004, 07:33 AM
Welcome to the club I am residing in....
The suspensions are overboard and irrationally arbitrary. There has been an NBA precedent (Maxwell) but it has been ignored entirely.

This event has been blown well out of proportion and it appears the NBA dictated, at least to ESPN, the spin they wanted attached to the reporting. That immediately meant a 180deg change from blaming the fans. And ESPN has been driving the story so naturally other 'lapdog' reports are in line with ESPN's take on this. But ESPN's take was 180deg different originally.

As much as I understand Artest being gone for the year I could also have understood Artest being gone for 10 games as long as the NBA was willing to lay some blame on the fans and security... as well as acknowledge that it was a Piston player who began the whole incident.

I could also see the NBA giving Artest an open ended suspension and requiring him to seek league approved counseling and his suspension be reviewed at some point thereafter. I can simply understand Stern taking Artest's past into account.

But Artest isn't the 'biggie' to me... It is JO and SJAX who I think got the short end of the stick. Why is AJ's suspension shorter than JO's?

Of course I still say it was Ben Wallace's violent act that incited this whole thing and he should be made to pay along the same lines as Indiana's serious offenders. For those that say a fight/punch normally only gets a game or two suspension I point you to the Washington vs Rudy T punch. That was much more than a couple of games because the consequences turned out to be much worse than your normal 'NBA' punch. It wasn't that the initial act was any worse than a 1000 other incidents. It was the outcome was worse. So the punishment was worse.

Of course Washington almost killed Rudy T and he got less than Artest and Sjax and about the same as JO.

IMHO it is not like the Pacers would have decided it is open season on Piston fans without some provocation. It is unfair that the league is making the Pacers bear the brunt of the blame AND punishment. People talk about how to punish the Piston fans and the organization for their behavior and failings of security.... How about making the Pistons forfeit a couple of prior games? Take a W or two away from them. How about refusing them home court advantage in any round of the playoffs should they make it there? How about taking away a draft pick? What about limiting their salary cap? What about next season take away a home game or two and make them play a team on the road (on the other team's floor) that should've been at the Palace?

I dunno... I wish Stern would've at least admonished the Detroit fans and the appalling lack of security at the Palace. That would've been a start. As it is, it is looking like he just wants to use the Pacers as a sacrifial lamb to throw the mass media and then move on. This whole thing will never set well with me as long as Detroit ends up GAINING from this incident.

-Bball

MagicRat
11-25-2004, 08:14 AM
I thought the Skip Bayliss line "Yet the more I watch it, the less I see." summed it up.

On the Rick Carlisle Show last night, Boyle said he thought the suspensions, with the exception of JO, were fair. Of course he got run over and ended up with a nasty cut, so maybe he's not impartial.....

ABADays
11-25-2004, 09:02 AM
And I'm still waiting to hear what is going to be done about the Palace and the fans.

indydude44
11-25-2004, 11:19 AM
To justify Harrison's not getting suspended, they said that he did not leave the court. Did JO leave the court....is there something I missed? They both hit a fan, they both never left the court....what's the difference?

AKA-BigDawg44

3Ball
11-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Kermit Washington was suspended for 60 days for The Punch (and fined $10,000).

Outlaw
11-25-2004, 11:36 AM
Kermit Washington was suspended for 60 days for The Punch (and fined $10,000).
Actually Kermit was suspended for 26 days.:)

obnoxiousmodesty
11-25-2004, 11:40 AM
Kermit was suspended for 26 games, which was over 60 days, I believe.

The suspensions were arbitrary and nonsensical. There should be actual repurcussions set by the league for similar offenses. In other words, players will know that if they go into the stands it's a 50 game suspension, or something like that. This whole thing stinks.

Outlaw
11-25-2004, 11:50 AM
[QUOTE=obnoxiousmodesty]Kermit was suspended for 26 games, which was over 60 days, I believe.

I stand corrected . :blush:

McKeyFan
11-26-2004, 12:54 AM
I'm a little confused because the video footage I saw showed Harrison hitting someone while on the court--near the same place where the chair was thrown and probably close to the same time.

But you guys and the press are talking about Harrison hitting someone in the puka..I mean, vomitorium, which, I believe is the little corridor as you're heading to the locker room.

Did Harrison hit two different people?