PDA

View Full Version : Louisville mayor brainstormed idea of Pacers playing 10 games at the KFC Yum Center

PacersFan1991
09-26-2012, 02:29 AM
http://www.whas11.com/news/local/UofL-Athletic-Department-says-city-has-specific-NBA-team-in-mind-for-Louisville-171263751.html?

PGisthefuture
09-26-2012, 02:45 AM
http://www.whas11.com/news/local/UofL-Athletic-Department-says-city-has-specific-NBA-team-in-mind-for-Louisville-171263751.html?

Funny how they show a highlight of Mario Chalmers hitting a three when mentioning the Pacers.

cgg
09-26-2012, 02:50 AM
He should worry about firing whoever is in charge of making their roads, and then hire someone who will demolish them and rebuild them from scratch.

Heisenberg
09-26-2012, 02:57 AM
So a mayor said "hey, it's an election year and we gotta justify the funding for this state of the art building that doesn't house a state of the art team." Don't blame the guy, but this is a nonstarter.

Will Galen
09-26-2012, 06:04 AM
This makes little sense! Well, okay for Louisville it makes some sense, but how about Indianapolis venders both inside and outside the fieldhouse who make their living off Pacer games? And how about Pacers season ticket holders?

I know he was just brainstorming, but still . . .

FlavaDave
09-26-2012, 07:18 AM
FlavaDave, in a meeting with his house's main tenant (his fiancÚ), brainstorms the idea to have one Indiana Pacers practice a week in his backyard. Per the discussions, the practices would be immediately followed by a barbecue.

When asked for comment, Donnie Walsh said "Who?"

sam kaiserblade
09-26-2012, 11:31 AM
The Celtics used to play some home games at the Hartford Civic Center for years. I kind of like the idea of the Pacers playing a few in Louisville. It's not like the crowds at Banker's life are very impressive. Maybe they could get great attendance down there.

Trader Joe
09-26-2012, 11:36 AM
What an idiot.

Eddie Gill
09-26-2012, 12:38 PM
The Celtics used to play some home games at the Hartford Civic Center for years. I kind of like the idea of the Pacers playing a few in Louisville. It's not like the crowds at Banker's life are very impressive. Maybe they could get great attendance down there.

Selling out a couple games in Louisville does absolutely nothing in the way of building fan support in Indiana.

tennymf
09-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Selling out a couple games in Louisville does absolutely nothing in the way of building fan support in Indiana.

Sure it does... Louisville is closer than Indy for much of southern Indiana. Plus, we need to build fan support - not just in Indiana. Kentucky is a die-hard basketball state that has no professional sports team (except for the University of Kentucky, that is). I think it would make sense to play a few games in Louisville, spread the Pacers product, and help build fan support in general. Louisville is less than a 2-hour drive from Indy. Building the fan base in the Louisville area could improve fan support in Indy.

Trader Joe
09-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Building the fan base in the Louisville area could improve fan support in Indy.

Uh, what?

ChicagoJ
09-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Is there some green font missing? Anywhere? Please?

Unclebuck
09-26-2012, 01:16 PM
There is a greater chance they play in my backyard than they play in Louisville

tennymf
09-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Uh, what?

Fans in Louisville could make the trek to Indy. It's at most a 2-hour drive. If a strong fan base is built in Louisville, then many of those fans could make it to Indy to support the team on a regular basis (i.e. "Building the fan base in the Louisville area could improve fan support in Indy"). Not everyone who attends Pacers games has to be from Indianapolis (or even Indiana, for that matter).

I personally live out of state in Illinois, almost 4 hours away from Indianapolis, and I still make the drive several times a year. I support both the Pacers and Colts by attending games as often as I can.

I think it would be a smart marketing decision to play a few games in Louisville each year. It's often noted that we play in a small market. If we don't have a market with natural depth, then perhaps we could expand our market through breadth.

Unclebuck
09-26-2012, 01:31 PM
I see some of you are addressing this seriously. I believe trying to increase the fan base by playing a few games in Louisville, would be a complete waste of time.

Brad8888
09-26-2012, 02:02 PM
I see some of you are addressing this seriously. I believe trying to increase the fan base by playing a few games in Louisville, would be a complete waste of time.

I agree.

But, I still could see it happening if attendance continues to be an issue, which I am afraid it still will be even with a competitive team and a hopefully much improved arena experience due to the video and audio improvements. People simply don't have as much money to spend on luxuries as they used to, and they can, for the most part, enjoy the games and quality commentary about them at home without having to spend money on gas, tickets, horrendously priced concessions, etc.

Yes, the competition for attendance of Pacers games is becoming a struggle between a combination of cost and convenience vs. the experience of viewing the game with thousands of your closest friends whether they are Pacers fans, Chicago fans (when the Bulls come to town from 3-4 hours away), or for whatever out of market superstar is playing for the opposition.

I just hope that regular TV continues to be a viable business model for the Pacers / NBA. I fear the pay per view model will be considered in some instances of the most desireable matchups (much like the ticket pricing changing due to the popularity of opposing teams).

Eleazar
09-26-2012, 02:20 PM
tennymf I think you need to check your times on how long it takes to drive from Louisville to Indy, you are off by about an hour give or take.

BRushWithDeath
09-26-2012, 02:25 PM
tennymf I think you need to check your times on how long it takes to drive from Louisville to Indy, you are off by about an hour give or take.

If it takes you more than the two hours he said, you're doing it wrong.

Sollozzo
09-26-2012, 02:41 PM

I can drive from downtown Indy to exit 9 on 65 (Sellersburg/New Albany) in about an hour and 25 minutes if I really rip it down 65. Most times I don't do it quite that quickly because of traffic, but it's always well under two hours unless there is an accident or something. The Sellersburg exit is about 10 miles from Louisville. Traffic is usually bad when you get close to Louisville, but if it's moving smoothly then you can get from downtown Indy to downtown Louisville in about an hour and 35/45 minutes. Depends how long you get stuck on the bridge for.

Sollozzo
09-26-2012, 03:04 PM
If it takes you more than the two hours he said, you're doing it wrong.

Yeah, if it takes you more than two hours then you must be doing like 55 the whole way.

Sandman21
09-26-2012, 03:10 PM
Louisville can have their ten home games.... if they can pry them from our cold dead hands.

Trader Joe
09-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Fans in Louisville could make the trek to Indy. It's at most a 2-hour drive. If a strong fan base is built in Louisville, then many of those fans could make it to Indy to support the team on a regular basis (i.e. "Building the fan base in the Louisville area could improve fan support in Indy"). Not everyone who attends Pacers games has to be from Indianapolis (or even Indiana, for that matter).

I personally live out of state in Illinois, almost 4 hours away from Indianapolis, and I still make the drive several times a year. I support both the Pacers and Colts by attending games as often as I can.

I think it would be a smart marketing decision to play a few games in Louisville each year. It's often noted that we play in a small market. If we don't have a market with natural depth, then perhaps we could expand our market through breadth.

For every fan you might gain in Louisville, I think you would lose just as many fans in Indy. People would not be happy to see the Pacers play 25% of their home games somewhere other than the Fieldhouse. I mean it's not like the Fieldhouse is a bad venue either.

This would just be a historically bad idea. It would certainly hurt the way I view the Pacers.

Roaming Gnome
09-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Marion County tax payers anteing up for a team to play in Louisville? Nah, I didn't see it! Tell the downtown merchants and arena vendors it's just 10 games and see what they tell you?

Remember, the team and county have negotiations to accomplish this year.

Trader Joe
09-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Marion County tax payers anteing up for a team to play in Louisville? Nah, I didn't see it! Tell the downtown merchants and arena vendors it's just 10 games and see what they tell you?

Remember, the team and county have negotiations to accomplish this year.

Just ten games might fly if this is a baseball team. But ten homes games in the NBA is 25% of the schedule. OK now what 10 home games does Louisville get? Do they get weekend games? Do they get marquee teams? For example do they get one of the Heat games?
If the mayor of Louisville was at all serious about this idea, then like I said, he is an idiot.

Unclebuck
09-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Pacers will play on Mars before they play in Louisville

Trader Joe
09-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Pacers will play on Mars before they play in Louisville

Space Jam 2: The Re-Jammening?

HC
09-26-2012, 04:14 PM
That may be a new building or whatever, but if something like this happened it would be more likely to occur elsewhere in Indiana. This is probably one of the most ridiculous ideas I have ever heard of.

beast23
09-26-2012, 04:32 PM
To preface what I'm about to say, I think the likelihood that the Pacers would relocate from Indianapolis within the next 10 years is extremely remote.

However, one must consider that the Pacers are a small market team and that they reportedly have lost money in nearly every year of their NBA existence. Note: I do NOT want to argue that point, that has been done enough. I merely accept the statement that has been made by the team and the league.

With that said, I believe that among Pacers fans, relocation is among their biggest long-term fears for their beloved team.

Building on that, I would then state that Pacers fans who would support the idea of any percentage of their beloved teams games being played away from their home arena should have their heads examined. It has to be one of the nuttiest suggestions yet.

Doing so would do nothing but cause uneasiness among the present fans that regularly attend games in Indy.

PacersFan1991
09-26-2012, 04:37 PM
BREAKING NEWS: A North Central freshman is studying the idea of the Pacers playing 10 games in the North Central gym. Currently writing notes on his iPhone.

Dr. house
09-26-2012, 04:39 PM
ANYONE who thinks this is a great idea is a moron. if Ps&e allow this to happen this would be step one of the pacers leaving Indianapolis.

PacersFan1991
09-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Besides, just because Kentucky is a great basketball state, doesn't mean the NBA would work out in Louisville.

Mad-Mad-Mario
09-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Come on throw the guy a bone, at least give him one preseason game.

pizza guy
09-26-2012, 11:00 PM
Come on throw the guy a bone, at least give him one preseason game.

This is what you do. The idea of reaching out and building the Pacers brand is not a bad one. Playing regular season "home" games in another state is.

But, play a pre-season game down there? Why the heck not? Didn't they play in Ft. Wayne at some point? Same thing. Doesn't the NFL send pre-season games to LONDON!? The Pacers in Louisville for the pre-season makes a lot more sense than the Jaguars to play in LONDON in the REGULAR SEASON. (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8289496/jacksonville-jaguars-play-four-home-games-london)

Especially as the team is improving and gaining a little bit of attention and popularity. Kentucky people love their cousi... errr...uhmm... basketball, so why not get them into the Pacers? They'd make the trip for a team that plays the right way. Lots of people already do.

Sandman21
09-26-2012, 11:08 PM
Us? Let Kentucky host games for our team?

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/21387625.jpg
They get NOTHING! And they will like it!

PR07
09-26-2012, 11:45 PM
I could see a preseason game maybe, that's about it.

Heisenberg
09-26-2012, 11:51 PM
Louisville wants a pro team. Not to play a preseason game there, but to move there. This is why you don't let the team put one foot in the city. I'd be more than fine with a preseason game anywhere, on the moon for all I care, if it was just to try and get a bigger fanbase for the Pacers. But not if the city wants to steal our team.

ChicagoJ
09-27-2012, 01:12 AM
Kentucky has two "pro" teams already. Yes, I threw the Cardinals in there, too. Whatcha gonna do about it?

MnvrChvy
09-28-2012, 11:09 AM
I don't think it would be terrible to let them host a preseason game, but that's it. Stir their interest for NBA level basketball with a couple regional teams, say Pacers v Memphis. Louisville is a nice city, but it's not ready for an NBA team and won't be for quite a long time. But if their locals and maybe Cincinnati locals are willing to support the INDIANA Pacers, then more power to them! I think we'd do better to focus on reclaiming W. Lafayette and South Bend fans first though. Though I guess SB is a good 3 hours away.

Sollozzo
09-28-2012, 11:21 AM
I don't think it would be terrible to let them host a preseason game, but that's it. Stir their interest for NBA level basketball with a couple regional teams, say Pacers v Memphis. Louisville is a nice city, but it's not ready for an NBA team and won't be for quite a long time. But if their locals and maybe Cincinnati locals are willing to support the INDIANA Pacers, then more power to them! I think we'd do better to focus on reclaiming W. Lafayette and South Bend fans first though. Though I guess SB is a good 3 hours away.

I think Louisville could support an NBA team. I don't see how their attendance could be much worse than the Pacers' in recent years.

iogyhufi
09-28-2012, 11:49 AM
I think Louisville could support an NBA team. I don't see how their attendance could be much worse than the Pacers' in recent years.

THE COLONELS RETURN!!!

Mad-Mad-Mario
09-28-2012, 12:15 PM
If we are going to play preseason games there, we shouldn't play with other local teams. Otherwise the crowd will be split. Play with teams like the blazers or suns. Then the people will be more likely to connect with us, and we can build the fanbase better.

Eddie Gill
09-28-2012, 01:53 PM
I'm not even interested in seeing a preseason game played in Louisville. As Heisenberg said, this is a city starved for a pro team and I don't want to give them any reason to believe it could be the Pacers. Let's just keep playing preseason games in college arenas throughout INDIANA. We play in South Bend this year, Assembly Hall a couple years back - we could do a game in West Lafayette, the Hulman Center or even Hinkle. Just hate seeing out of state home games. Getting fans back to the Fieldhouse is a lot like recruiting for a college team - lock down your own in-state borders and then you can start thinking about going beyond that.

Hicks
09-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Space Jam 2: The Re-Jammening?

Jam Harder.

PacersFan1991
09-28-2012, 04:00 PM
1 preseason game in Louisville each of the next 10 years, then he will have his 10 Pacers games!

owl
09-28-2012, 04:13 PM
1 preseason game in Louisville each of the next 10 years, then he will have his 10 Pacers games!

What if by having two home arenas you sell out ALL your games and have a bigger TV market?
Just something to think about. Fans don't get game burn out in one city from having 41 games to attend.
For team profitability would a team consider that in a small market?

PacersFan1991
09-28-2012, 04:17 PM
What if by having two home arenas you sell out ALL your games and have a bigger TV market?
Just something to think about. Fans don't get game burn out in one city from having 41 games to attend.
For team profitability would a team consider that in a small market?

NO WAY, all 41 games need to be at the fieldhouse and they will be. NOT A CHANCE even one regular season game is played in Louisville.

DangerGranger3pointranger
09-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Ehh... At least the KFC Yum Center is a good arena, but I don't see this happening anytime soon.

Naptown_Seth
09-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Don't they already have a couple of pro teams that play in that area? Or did Pitino and Calipari stop coaching?

edit: drat...

Kentucky has two "pro" teams already. Yes, I threw the Cardinals in there, too. Whatcha gonna do about it?

hoosierguy
09-28-2012, 08:49 PM
Ehh... At least the KFC Yum Center is a good arena, but I don't see this happening anytime soon.

U of L isn't happy either. They don't want to share the stadium.

hoosierguy
09-28-2012, 08:55 PM
It would be one thing to lose the Pacers to a bigger, more glamorous market but quite another to lose the team to a metro area 2/3 Indy's size and less than two hours away.

After the initial buzz of having a team wears off, why would attendance be any better in Louisville? The Pacers had attendance problems because of all their off the court issues combined with four straight seasons of missing the playoffs. It wouldn't be better in another market, especially a smaller one.

And then of course there is the simple fact that no city has EVER lost a team after building it a state of the art arena with taxpayer funds and then providing it with an eight figure operating subsidy for three years. Indianapolis has done its part to keep the Pacers happy. Time for the Pacers to return the favor and commit to the Circle City for the long haul.

Sollozzo
09-28-2012, 09:08 PM
All this is was the mayor of a city floating out some ideas that he pulled out of left field. It's not like he got this idea after talking with Herb Simon. There is nothing of substance to discuss here.

That being said, I don't see how Louisville could do any worse than Indy in the attendance department.

ChicagoJ
09-29-2012, 12:17 AM
All this is was the mayor of a city floating out some ideas that he pulled out of left field. It's not like he got this idea after talking with Herb Simon. There is nothing of substance to discuss here.

That being said, I don't see how Louisville could do any worse than Indy in the attendance department.

Nah. When all those seats at the new dome don't sell next season, and with another playoff run, Indy will re-establish which of the two teams its going to support for a while. Actually, the money saved from football tickets will be split between IU hoops and the Pacers... and this will be the first time in 35+ years that the market will have to worry about dividing up support of its top two basketball programs with both of them relevant at the same time.

Its no secret this market bounces back and forth between the teams. Just because it was a long run of Colts relevance and Pacers purgatory doesn't change the cyclical nature of it, just the shape of the cycle.

beast23
09-29-2012, 12:20 AM

Really? You think Indy is IU / PU / Butler crazy? Our allegiance to college Bball is nothing compared to what it is in Louisville. In Louisville, you either back UK or you back Louisville... and you spend every non-game day doing nothing but talking about the next game and the likelihood that you win your conference crown and get to the finals.

If Louisville had an NBA team, I could see attendance being okay for the first year or two while it is new. Afterwards, I see it dropping off considerably. At least that's what my friends in Louisville say... and they are all UK fans.

Sollozzo
09-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Really? You think Indy is IU / PU / Butler crazy? Our allegiance to college Bball is nothing compared to what it is in Louisville. In Louisville, you either back UK or you back Louisville... and you spend every non-game day doing nothing but talking about the next game and the likelihood that you win your conference crown and get to the finals.

If Louisville had an NBA team, I could see attendance being okay for the first year or two while it is new. Afterwards, I see it dropping off considerably. At least that's what my friends in Louisville say... and they are all UK fans.

I'm just guessing. I'm originally from Southern Indiana near Louisville, so maybe I'm biased because I'd like to see an NBA team do well down there. But for years, Indy has been one of the worst cities in the league for attendance. Me saying that Louisville could do just as well as Indy has lately isn't exactly going out on a limb. Places like Salt Lake City and Oklahoma City are smaller than Indy and have better attendance. I know that OKC has a freakishly talented team right now, but they also supported the Hornets for two years when they were displaces by Katrina.

Sandman21
09-29-2012, 10:14 AM
But for years, Indy has been one of the worst cities in the league for attendance.
Except:

Mike Wells ‏@MikeWellsNBA

The Pacers, a regular at the bottom of league n attendance the past few yrs, has increased ticket sales by almost 30% from this pt last yr
Expand

Retweeted
Favorite

Sollozzo
09-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Except:

Mike Wells ‏@MikeWellsNBA

The Pacers, a regular at the bottom of league n attendance the past few yrs, has increased ticket sales by almost 30% from this pt last yr
Expand

Retweeted
Favorite

Good. It would be completely inexcusable if we didn't.

hoosierguy
09-29-2012, 04:49 PM
I'm just guessing. I'm originally from Southern Indiana near Louisville, so maybe I'm biased because I'd like to see an NBA team do well down there. But for years, Indy has been one of the worst cities in the league for attendance. Me saying that Louisville could do just as well as Indy has lately isn't exactly going out on a limb. Places like Salt Lake City and Oklahoma City are smaller than Indy and have better attendance. I know that OKC has a freakishly talented team right now, but they also supported the Hornets for two years when they were displaces by Katrina.

Oklahoma City supported the Hornets for a couple of seasons because it was the city's first major pro team. If the Hornets had stayed in OKC and kept sucking the attendance would not have been great.

The Jazz have been a solid playoff team with little off the court issues while in Salt Lake, of course the fans are going to show up. Big deal.

Indy has only been bad in attendance because the Pacers were bad and had numerous off the court problems which turned fans away from the team. It has nothing to do with Indy and everything to do with the Pacers. Louisville has 600k fewer people in the metro area than Indy. Why would that market be any better for attendance after the initial buzz of having a team wears off?

Mad-Mad-Mario
09-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Oklahoma City supported the Hornets for a couple of seasons because it was the city's first major pro team. If the Hornets had stayed in OKC and kept sucking the attendance would not have been great.

The Jazz have been a solid playoff team with little off the court issues while in Salt Lake, of course the fans are going to show up. Big deal.

Indy has only been bad in attendance because the Pacers were bad and had numerous off the court problems which turned fans away from the team. It has nothing to do with Indy and everything to do with the Pacers. Louisville has 600k fewer people in the metro area than Indy. Why would that market be any better for attendance after the initial buzz of having a team wears off?

Don't forget that the Colts also had people thinking football quite a bit. Where as now with IU, Purdue, Butler, and Notre Dame all having success int eh last few years in BBall, some of the buzz is coming back to basketball

Sandman21
09-29-2012, 04:53 PM
I will be very interested to see how attendance goes in OKC after Durrant and Westbrook eventually hang it up.

Bball
09-30-2012, 02:21 AM
The Pacers barely advertise and promote outside of 465 now, if they played 10 games in Louisville nobody would even know it.....

Heisenberg
09-30-2012, 05:30 AM
The Pacers had outstanding attendance all through the Reggie era. Well, once he became "Reggie" anyway. It helped that the Colts sucked a lot of it, but even well into Peyton's career ticket sales were still great.

We're built a lot like those teams. No single "star" that gets the focus, but a really good team with an archnemesis from a place with completely different values than ours in every way imaginable. Hicks vs Knicks is now Corn vs Porn. Or something.

Like Al Davis said, just win baby. This team's not winning a title w/o a major shakeup, but holy hell is it gonna be fun at the Fieldhouse for the foreseeable future.

Eddie Gill
09-30-2012, 01:30 PM
The Pacers barely advertise and promote outside of 465 now, if they played 10 games in Louisville nobody would even know it.....

I'm sure somebody knows more about the specifics of this, but I think part of the lack of Pacers advertising has a lot to do with league-mandated market limitations. I know this is to blame for a lack of advertising in other parts of the state. As for Indy, I think the 465 advertising is pretty effective, but I truly believe more Pacers coverage in the local media will drive attendance far more than billboards.