PDA

View Full Version : PG has been working on his handles since May!

gummy
09-21-2012, 02:13 AM
I'm sure you're all pleased to hear it, I know I am!

"PG mentioned how he immediately went to work on his ball handling following the loss to Miami last May. He brought in a coach from NYC to focus on his handles and maintained that focus throughout the offseason."

http://www.indycornrows.com/2012/9/20/3366150/paul-george-impressed-with-new-pacers-teammates

Around 5 months (by the start of the season) of making dribbling a focus ought to result in some noticeable improvement. If so, I may need to change my avatar back to my old picture. :dance:

diamonddave00
09-21-2012, 03:44 AM
His time on Dan Dakich's show Thurday was entertaining and informative'

Tom White
09-21-2012, 08:34 AM
His time on Dan Dakich's show Thurday was entertaining and informative'

Yeah, I did listen to the show yesterday. Did you catch the part where he referred to West as "Pops"? Thought that was pretty funny. He also seems to be relishing the idea of DJ & Green as the back-up back court tandem. The way PG was talking about those two, I thought DD was going to have to wipe the drool of PG's microphone when he was done. He had a lot of praise for both of them.

MyFavMartin
09-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Love handles?

BillS
09-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Great, but I wish Paul George would quit talking about working on his handles and work on his handles.

Last time, I promise :zip:

Rev. Colt
09-21-2012, 09:46 AM
The thing that excites me the most out of all of this is that he is taking personal responsibility to get better. It was not the team that brought someone in, it was him. He is the one footing the bill on this coach. That kind of attitude and mindset is what is needed to become a star in this league.

Ace E.Anderson
09-21-2012, 09:53 AM
I don't know why anybody would think he would do anything different. A lot like Roy, Paul has demonstrated a strong work ethic since he was drafted. After his rookie season, we wanted him to work on his shooting, and he became a good shooter.

Kid Minneapolis
09-21-2012, 09:53 AM
Crap, he's been working on his handles? Now what is everyone gonna ***** about? Damn it, PG.

Ace E.Anderson
09-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Crap, he's been working on his handles? Now what is everyone gonna ***** about? Damn it, PG.

Probably the fact that he's doing too much media. Twitter, radio, probably tv soon....HE'S DOING TOO MUCH

the_reverend
09-21-2012, 11:06 AM
I have been very impressed by his recent media tour. He has become very well spoken, and is quite entertaining. A far cry from the shy-guy routine I saw at last years dunk contest. I am pleased to see his confidence on the rise.

imawhat
09-21-2012, 12:02 PM
I'm very glad that he recognized his #1 weakness. I hope his dribbling coach saw the #1 reason why dribbling is/was his #1 weakness.

Natston
09-21-2012, 12:42 PM
PICTURES OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!

BlueNGold
09-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Reminds me of Bender's incredible off seasons. I will believe it when I see it.

BillS
09-21-2012, 06:04 PM

:jawdrop:

Now THAT, boys and girls, is a Darksider. PG working on ball handling over the summer is equivalent to Jonathan Bender's offseasons. Masterful.

gummy
09-21-2012, 06:10 PM

Does PG have a history of his hands falling off or his wrists breaking that I am forgetting? ;)

I understand what you mean on one level - the proof is in the pudding. But come on, man. Bender? :D

BlueNGold
09-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Does PG have a history of his hands falling off or his wrists breaking that I am forgetting? ;)

I understand what you mean on one level - the proof is in the pudding. But come on, man. Bender? :D

I'm still raw from all that talk about Bender arriving. That and Jermaine O'Neal's championship talk.

There was Sarunas Jaski...heck I forgot how to spell it...who was supposed to be a combination of Steve Nash and Jason Kidd...with the three. Then we had Brandon Smokin' Rush with all that untapped potential. We just knew he would break out, right?

Here's the deal. The Pacers fate for the next 5 or 10 years is tied directly to whether Paul George is the real deal or he's just another disappointment. I think we will find he's marginally improved his handle, but lost his shot along the way. He didn't exactly have that down either.

xBulletproof
09-21-2012, 06:37 PM

He just said he was working on it with a coach, not that he's Steve Nash now.

I'm not sure where any "incredible" claims were made.

NapTonius Monk
09-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Here's the deal. The Pacers fate for the next 5 or 10 years is tied directly to whether Paul George is the real deal or he's just another disappointment.I think this is more true of Hibbert than George. I think PG is going to be special, but I don't think that our hopes rise and fall with him. Not yet anyways.

BlueNGold
09-21-2012, 08:47 PM
I think this is more true of Hibbert than George.

Hibbert is already an all-star and we are not contending. His ceiling is visible while PG still has unlimited potential.

NapTonius Monk
09-21-2012, 08:55 PM
Hibbert is already an all-star and we are not contending. His ceiling is visible while PG still has unlimited potential.
Agreed, but the Pacers haven't put all their eggs in the Paul George basket. Certainly not to the extent of hinging the next 5-10 years on his development.

J7F
09-21-2012, 09:25 PM
I don't see how some of you guys don't see us as contenders... We're a young and rising team that had a series lead over the eventual champs... National media flipped the switch fast and many were predicting us to win it for a minute...

We beat every ligitimate contender we played last season sans San An...

We have solid veterans at 2 starting positions and rising stars at the other 3... We have what appears could be a solid bench... And I believe our coach was runner up for COY...

Oh wait... We don't have a superstar...

BlueNGold
09-21-2012, 09:36 PM
I don't see how some of you guys don't see us as contenders... We're a young and rising team that had a series lead over the eventual champs... National media flipped the switch fast and many were predicting us to win it for a minute...

We beat every ligitimate contender we played last season sans San An...

We have solid veterans at 2 starting positions and rising stars at the other 3... We have what appears could be a solid bench... And I believe our coach was runner up for COY...

Oh wait... We don't have a superstar...

We had a fortunate situation with Derrick Rose and Dwight Howard out last year....along with a deep team and tight schedule. I think our work is cut out this coming season...and how Frank coaches the team will become even more important.

Hicks
09-21-2012, 11:38 PM
I finally had a chance to listen to Paul George on Dan Dakich tonight, and my lasting impression is, "He gets it". I'm encouraged.

Sandman21
09-22-2012, 12:07 AM
Furthermore, per RobfromPacers, Paul has been the last non-Security person to leave the Fieldhouse at night for the last week since he got back in town.

You damn right he gets it.

daschysta
09-22-2012, 01:20 AM
I'm still raw from all that talk about Bender arriving. That and Jermaine O'Neal's championship talk.

There was Sarunas Jaski...heck I forgot how to spell it...who was supposed to be a combination of Steve Nash and Jason Kidd...with the three. Then we had Brandon Smokin' Rush with all that untapped potential. We just knew he would break out, right?

Here's the deal. The Pacers fate for the next 5 or 10 years is tied directly to whether Paul George is the real deal or he's just another disappointment. I think we will find he's marginally improved his handle, but lost his shot along the way. He didn't exactly have that down either.

Yeah, the guy who shot 45 and 36 percent from 3 in college and 38.5 percent last year "doesn't really have shooting down". Sheesh, some people have to make up conflict where none exists.

Paul George has been working on his ball handling, just like we hoped he had been. The OP isn't saying that George is going to come back dribbling like Chris Paul, I fail to see the negative implications of the report.

daschysta
09-22-2012, 01:22 AM
I finally had a chance to listen to Paul George on Dan Dakich tonight, and my lasting impression is, "He gets it". I'm encouraged.

I hope Hibberts work ethic is rubbing off on everyone. Great to see Paul recognizes his weaknesses and is actually putting real work into improving upon them. That is the most you can ask.

J7F
09-22-2012, 10:15 AM
We had a fortunate situation with Derrick Rose and Dwight Howard out last year....along with a deep team and tight schedule. I think our work is cut out this coming season...and how Frank coaches the team will become even more important.

I agree that we have our work cut out for us... But I still don't see how we aren't contenders...

We can't play the what if game with Dwight and Rose because it's a fantasy scenario compared to what did go down...

Plus Rose is still gonna be out for the majority of the season next year... Should that really put an asterisk next to our Playoff seed if we end up #2 this year? No... Injuries are as much a part of the game as a jumpshot...

I'm sorry BnG... You can't take those things I stated away from the Pacers... Because they actually occurred...

And I also stated that we are a team that is still on the rise... Why so little faith that we will take another step forward?

xBulletproof
09-22-2012, 12:02 PM

Well Rose is still hurt and Dwight isn't in the East anymore. Sooo.....

Cody.
09-22-2012, 12:41 PM
I consider the Pacers as contenders. Just because we dont have a Lebron or Durant does not make us a noncontender. We play as a team and it works well for the Pacers. I would rather root for a team doing well than a drama queen player with some quality players and scrubs around him.

Mad-Mad-Mario
09-22-2012, 01:13 PM
I think you have to agree we are a contender.

The Knicks are the Knicks, so no need to worry.
The Magic are a non factor now.
The Bulls lost quite a few pieces, not to mention Rose is still hurt.

The East seems to belong to the Nets, Pacers, Heat and Celtics. And out of that group, the nets are an unproven commodity. And how much longer can KG and Pierce keep it up, my god it has to happen soon.

NapTonius Monk
09-22-2012, 02:25 PM
I think you have to agree we are a contender.

The Knicks are the Knicks, so no need to worry.
The Magic are a non factor now.
The Bulls lost quite a few pieces, not to mention Rose is still hurt.

The East seems to belong to the Nets, Pacers, Heat and Celtics. And out of that group, the nets are an unproven commodity. And how much longer can KG and Pierce keep it up, my god it has to happen soon.Boston has done a seemingly nice job of retooling. I don't think they're going to fall off the cliff anytime soon. New Jersey is nice enough, but I don't know how elite they really are. Time will tell.

ilive4sports
09-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Boston's success hinges on Pierce and Garnett. What if Pierce plays like he did at the start of last season? Can Garnett play a full 82 game season at Center?

BlueNGold
09-22-2012, 06:54 PM
The Pacers had a very good record last year, but the Knicks (unfortunately) were better and they proved it. The Celtics were a little better and the Heat were a lot better. The Bulls will be a challenge depending on how Rose rebounds. The Sixers were as good as the Pacers. The Hawks were .600 without Horford who will be back. Those are 7 teams who could very well be better than Indiana this coming year.

So, how I see it, we were lucky Rose and Horford were out...and we were lucky the Knicks record kept them out of the playoffs. No, I do not consider the Pacers a contender. Being a likely playoff team doesn't mean we are ready to contend. We have a lot to prove and have yet to prove much. Beating the Magic without Dwight Howard...and kind of struggling in that effort...is not a sign that we are contending.

Mad-Mad-Mario
09-22-2012, 07:19 PM
The Pacers had a very good record last year, but the Knicks (unfortunately) were better and they proved it. The Celtics were a little better and the Heat were a lot better. The Bulls will be a challenge depending on how Rose rebounds. The Sixers were as good as the Pacers. The Hawks were .600 without Horford who will be back. Those are 7 teams who could very well be better than Indiana this coming year.

So, how I see it, we were lucky Rose and Horford were out...and we were lucky the Knicks record kept them out of the playoffs. No, I do not consider the Pacers a contender. Being a likely playoff team doesn't mean we are ready to contend. We have a lot to prove and have yet to prove much. Beating the Magic without Dwight Howard...and kind of struggling in that effort...is not a sign that we are contending.

Well to start out the Knicks were not better than us. Winning the Season series doesn't mean you are better. Especially when IIRC we didn't have George Hill those two games that we lost.

Have you not paid attention this offseason? The Celtics, Knicks, 76ers, and Hawks all lost key pieces to their team.

Just because our roster stayed relatively the same doesn't mean other teams didn't lose key players.

We had the 5th best record in the league last year. Of the teams with better records, 2 look unlikely to duplicate that performance. And it looks like only 2 in a position to step up and perform better. In the East we are likely to have at least a third seed again.

Isaac
09-22-2012, 07:25 PM
He's going to change his twitter handle?

Anthem
09-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Yeah, the guy who shot 45 and 36 percent from 3 in college and 38.5 percent last year "doesn't really have shooting down".

What did he shoot in the playoffs?

I hope Hibberts work ethic is rubbing off on everyone.

No disrespect to Roy, but I don't think that's the case. I think Bird was intentional about getting guys who work. I don't think it's because of Roy.

daschysta
09-23-2012, 01:09 AM
What did he shoot in the playoffs?

No disrespect to Roy, but I don't think that's the case. I think Bird was intentional about getting guys who work. I don't think it's because of Roy.

What did Danny shoot in the playoffs this year? Can Danny not shoot because he didn't shoot it well vs. Miami? What does that have to do with being able to shoot the ball or not, and especially to whether Paul George has been a good shooter throughout his basketball career? Saying "what did he shoot in the playoffs" based on such a small sample size, where the guy was asked to focus on defense and expended a ton of energy on that end and then acting like that is an acceptable retort a statement about the guys ability to shoot the ball well is silly, especially when the guy is 22 years old. Players who can't shoot don't shoot 45 percent from the line over a college season, or 38.5 percent over 66 games, moreso what does that have to do with BNG's idea that somehow even if PG improved his ball handling, his shot would just magically disappear being anything other than irrationally cynical, which is what the response you quoted was responding to?

As for Roy I think that a fellow player walking the walk and putting the work in tends to hold some sway, whether or not the boss tells you to work hard or not. PG seems to have a good work ethic regardless, but I certainly don't think Roy hurts. Roy wasn't really a very high potential prospect at first, and worked his *** off to get to such a level where he's made the all-star game, I think it has a positive effect on how hard the team works.

daschysta
09-23-2012, 01:18 AM

How good you believe the Pacers are is your imperative, however, don't think you can just pull data out of your *** and pretend that it indicates whatever you want. You say the knicks "proved" they were better? Worse record, beat far more effortlessly by Miami, by a larger margin of victory and in less games with the only victory coming by what, 1 or 3 (very close). Boston? Yes, Boston actually did perform better than Indy last year. Philly? Far worse record, we played well against them, and also played well against boston, they were about a .500 team, you can believe their better, but you cannot support it with anything, so stop trying.

Atlanta has lost Joe Johnson, and was worse than we were, .600 winning percentage or not.

You're beliefs are you're business, but don't attempt to dress them up as credulous on the basis of empirical evidence, because you can't. Beyond just outlook, your unnecessarily cynical responses to updates with no negative connotations whatsoever paints you as someone whose pessimism and irrational negativity has clouded objectivity. Saying we are as good as Miami and have a good chance at beating them next year if healthy is the optimistic equivalent to your pessimism, neither are realistic unless something very good, or something very horrible happens.

oxxo
09-25-2012, 12:44 AM
Can we stop with the 'deep team' garbage? The Pacers were one of the shallowest teams in the entire NBA. Statistically and just by watching the Pacers had one of the best starting 5s in the NBA, as well as one of the worst benches. We did not do better because of a compact schedule + 'deep team'.

Which is why people should be excited... on paper we massively upgraded our bench, which was by far our biggest weakness. That and as said, PG seems to 'get' what it takes to be successful in the NBA.

Eleazar
09-25-2012, 08:16 AM

What does Rose being injured have to do with how well the team played last year? He wasn't out when it mattered until the playoffs which was completely irrelevant to the Pacers as we would have needed to beat the Heat before we would even have a chance to play them. The teams that benefited from Rose's injury were the 76ers and Celtics, not the Pacers.

Coopdog23
09-25-2012, 09:01 AM
Great