PDA

View Full Version : Our 2012-2013 Pacers: Blue Collar - Gold Swagger

gummy
09-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Looks like we've got ourselves a new tagline for the upcoming season. It's on the Pacers FB cover photo and the website. The photos are too large to embed here, so...

From website:
http://i.cdn.turner.com/dr/nba/teamsites-set5/release/pacers/sites/pacers/files/6-GamePack-TakeoverAd-250.jpg

From Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151180703642996&set=a.10150654240982996.414016.43267052995&type=1&theater

What do you think? I like it, I think it's a nice update to our traditional blue collar identity. I know not everyone loved "Gold Swagger" in the playoffs last season though, and so far the reactions on FB aren't so positive.

J7F
09-19-2012, 07:55 PM
I kind of love it!

maragin
09-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Blue collar, yes. Anything swagger, no.

Eddie Gill
09-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Love it. Long live gold swagger. Let's not forget how freaking awesome the Fieldhouse looked with all that gold.

Hicks
09-19-2012, 09:08 PM
I like it. I wasn't a fan of 'gold swagger' when it launched, but I embraced it anyway in the spirit of the playoffs, and now I accept it as something that's here to stay for the time being. I like combining it with blue collar / blue & gold.

Sandman21
09-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Long live the Gold Swagger!

Kid Minneapolis
09-19-2012, 09:39 PM
What's with all the swagger stuff.

cdash
09-19-2012, 10:27 PM
I like it. It's clever. Like many others, I found "gold swagger" to be a little goofy at first. It took me one playoff game to be all in on that one though.

PGisthefuture
09-19-2012, 10:33 PM
I like it. I don't understand why people hate the swagger thing so much to be honest.

Kemo
09-19-2012, 10:38 PM
I dunno.. it's ok... I guess it's better than fear the deer lmao .. It just feels too "forced" to me ... kinda like a country white boy who just moved to a predominately black school in the suburbs of Chicago trying to fit in by using the "hip" vernacular and trying to "style" with urban clothing fashion .. while in the process kinda looking retarded lol

Eddie Gill
09-19-2012, 10:51 PM
I dunno.. it's ok... I guess it's better than fear the deer lmao .. It just feels too "forced" to me ... kinda like a country white boy who just moved to a predominately black school in the suburbs of Chicago trying to fit in by using the "hip" vernacular and trying to "style" with urban clothing fashion .. while in the process kinda looking retarded lol

I think the terms "blue-collar" and "swagger" are both fitting for this team and endearing to two key demographics: the old, Indiana Basketball purists, and the 13-20 somethings who need a reason for the Pacers to be cool again.

gummy
09-19-2012, 11:12 PM
I think the terms "blue-collar" and "swagger" are both fitting for this team and endearing to two key demographics: the old, Indiana Basketball purists, and the 13-20 somethings who need a reason for the Pacers to be cool again.

Yep. Seems like a marketing win to me!

PR07
09-20-2012, 12:40 AM
At least it's fairly unique. It could easily be some cliche like, "One team. One mission."

King Tuts Tomb
09-20-2012, 03:21 AM
I like it. I don't understand why people hate the swagger thing so much to be honest.

Cause the whole "swag" thing is kinda lame and played out. It's the equivalent of "The Indiana Pacers: Can't Touch This!" or "The Pacers: Bling Bling!" It feeds the notion that Indiana is five years behind the times in everything. Can't we just have a nice, straightforward motto and not try and piggyback on a dying trend popular among middle schoolers?

spazzxb
09-20-2012, 04:28 AM
I saw a guy at my gym today (in fort wayne) wearing one of the Gold Swagger shirts. Not to often that I see pacers gear around here(besides my closet and the Pacers hat I wear alot). It will be interesting to see, after last years succes if its any easier to find a pacers game at the area bars. I Know I will make sure the people at my gym know what channel FSNI is on Comcast in Fort wayne. In the past the local sports bars can rarely find the station.

Roaming Gnome
09-20-2012, 06:43 AM
I saw a guy at my gym today (in fort wayne) wearing one of the Gold Swagger shirts. Not to often that I see pacers gear around here(besides my closet and the Pacers hat I wear alot). It will be interesting to see, after last years succes if its any easier to find a pacers game at the area bars. I Know I will make sure the people at my gym know what channel FSNI is on Comcast in Fort wayne. In the past the local sports bars can rarely find the station.

Hey, at least you have Pacers on locally up there. When I lived in the Fort (not that long ago) there wasn't even radio coverage let alone TV coverage on cable.

As far as the "Gold Swagger" motto... I don't really care for it, but it doesn't bother me either. I guess I've totally missed the boat on the "swag"/"swagger" scene... So it feels like I just don't get it.

CompACE
09-20-2012, 08:30 AM
Blue Collar - Goldschlager

http://www.prosportstickers.com/product_images/h/goldschlager_bottle__40668.jpg

BillS
09-20-2012, 09:23 AM
I didn't care for the "Gold Swagger" because I was one of the folks who thought we really hadn't quite earned it. But when it gets combined with the "Blue Collar" I really like it - it becomes more of a cause and effect thing, like "Do the Blue Collar work, get the Gold Swagger". The side ads that say "No Swagger without Sweat" add to this impression.

ECKrueger
09-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Not really a "swagger" fan but I like the slogan I think. Plus, I think it's good marketing.

spazzxb
09-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Hey, at least you have Pacers on locally up there. When I lived in the Fort (not that long ago) there wasn't even radio coverage let alone TV coverage on cable.

As far as the "Gold Swagger" motto... I don't really care for it, but it doesn't bother me either. I guess I've totally missed the boat on the "swag"/"swagger" scene... So it feels like I just don't get it.

Thats why Jordan was my hero as a kid(WGN). 20sum years ago the Pacers were just the obscure team that my Uncle liked. I am a loyal Indiana sports fan and am certain I would have grown up a Pacers fan had they been on TV. I have always watched national Pacers games and the playoffs(8.9 seconds Reggies Prime) but didn't purchased league pass for the First time until 2 seasons before the cable deal. Went to my first game the year before the brawl, second game Prince blocked Reggie when he should have dunked(virtually everyone remembers this game). The point of this is simply that the cable television deal is freaking huge for the growth of the fan-base. Beyond the immediate benefits, There are a lot of Chicago fans around here who may have been Pacers fans if the team would have had a little bit of exposure when people were young. Every Bulls game has always been broadcasted here for as long as I can remember.

Also (to pat myself on the back) I finally lost enough weight to wear the (I caught this shirt) Boomer T-shirt I caught from the upper deck during that first game.

Pacergeek
09-20-2012, 10:46 PM
I hate it. Using the words "swagg" or "swagger" is too trendy and just sound juvenile to me

naptownmenace
09-20-2012, 11:39 PM
What's so funny is that some are saying the terms Swag and swagger are too trendy or urban and you hav others saying that those terms are outdated. So strange.

I didn't like the slogan when I heard about it before game 3 against the Heat. After seeing them, I regretted not getting tickets to that game instead of game 4. :laugh:

I really like this current slogan. Putting Blue-Collar before it is very fitting of this team's identity.

King Tuts Tomb
09-21-2012, 08:42 AM
What's so funny is that some are saying the terms Swag and swagger are too trendy or urban and you hav others saying that those terms are outdated. So strange.

It still is trendy among the Bieber set, but the only adults who use it are moms and pro basketball teams in the midwest trying to sound hip.

Brinocerous
09-21-2012, 10:47 AM
It beats the hell out of "we ride together."

Kid Minneapolis
09-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Swagger seems to have negative connotation about it. Usually when someone has swagger, they're over-confident or arrogant...

I like Andrew Luck's way of looking at it --- Competence over confidence. That's a brilliant mindset, because it places importance on actually being good at something, rather than thinking you're good at something or projecting an image that makes people think you're better than you really are. One can be confident and still not competent. But if you're competent, that inherently builds confidence in yourself and in those around you that you know what you're doing. Competence breeds confidence.

When I hear "swagger", I just think some cocky dude walking around like a badass and not actually being that great at what he is pretending to be good at, lol...

PacersHomer
09-21-2012, 11:53 AM
benefit for Gold Swagger: It will be associated with a blowout of the Miami Heat in a playoff game. When people first heard Gold Swagger it was about Game 3 and people will associate it with Game 3. Even though it's a little corny and funny, it's good at accomplishing what it needs to. It makes you think of winning and exciting basketball. I have zero problems with it.

Also I think swag and swagger are too different words with similar but different meanings. Swag is the "hip" word that is now completely out of style and swagger is still the same word it has always been before Lil B and Soulja Boy used it in songs.

gummy
09-21-2012, 12:50 PM
When I hear "swagger", I just think some cocky dude walking around like a badass and not actually being that great at what he is pretending to be good at, lol...

When I hear it, or rather, when I hear "gold swagger," in particular something else happens. I think of game three in the second round of playoffs against the Miami Heat. Excitement. Intensity. Excellence - a game where they didn't back down to Goliath and in fact actually rose up. I'm sure I'm not the only one, and I'd guess that's the intent since that's where that part of the phrase was born.

To your other point about competence leading to confidence - I think the balance between Blue Collar and Gold Swagger is actually saying pretty much that. The order of that wording isn't an accident. Look at campaign through which they've elaborated on the theme. The picture of Paul George: "No swagger without sweat." The one with George Hill: "No swagger without sacrifice." The overall message is clear: do the blue collar work, earn the gold swagger.

It's good marketing (that some people don't like it is even a good thing - it elicits a reaction, which is more than can be said for some of our other PR campaigns) and beyond that, it touches on the work ethic required for success.

Thanks for making me think about it in more detail though, because I like it even better now.

Edit: Just read the previous post (PacersHomer). Exactly!

Kid Minneapolis
09-21-2012, 02:28 PM
When I hear it, or rather, when I hear "gold swagger," in particular something else happens. I think of game three in the second round of playoffs against the Miami Heat. Excitement. Intensity. Excellence - a game where they didn't back down to Goliath and in fact actually rose up. I'm sure I'm not the only one, and I'd guess that's the intent since that's where that part of the phrase was born.

That's great, but swagger meant arrogance, pompousness, and insolence way before we won that playoff game, lol... Didn't really care for the use of it then either. Swagger isn't generally considered a good connotation, never has. Swagger usually preceeds a "fall". You describe someone with swagger as someone likely to be knocked off their pedestal, and they usually are shortly after by life in general, lol, an ironically and unfortunately fitting description of the Pacers success shortly after the gold out win in Game 3. I'm guessing a lot of people don't know the actual meaning of swagger? They think it means "confident"? Think there could be a better phrase to convey confidence or competence.

I loved that playoff win as much as anyone, and I had already forgotten about the "gold out", although it was pretty neat, but the word "swagger" isn't exactly doin' it for me. The gold-out was cool though.

spazzxb
09-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Where did your definition come from?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Kid Minneapolis
09-21-2012, 02:53 PM
The dictionary.

Since86
09-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Dictionarys are often times behind social practices. We use "bad" both for positive and negative connotations, whereas the dictionary identifies it as a negative one. Let's not be too literal.

Eleazar
09-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Swagger
Verb
1. To walk or strut with a defiant or insolent air
2. to boast or brag noisily
3. to bring, drive, force, etc., by blustering

adj
informal, rare elegantly fashionable

Synonymous Strut
verb
1. to walk with a vain, pompous bearing, as with head erect and chest thrown out, as if expecting to impress observers
2. informal, to behave or perform in a proud confident manner; show off

The Pacers are using it as the informal(slang) word.

Kid Minneapolis
09-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Dictionarys are often times behind social practices. We use "bad" both for positive and negative connotations, whereas the dictionary identifies it as a negative one. Let's not be too literal.

Nobody uses "bad" anymore, lol... that's so behind the times. "Boss" is the new "bad". I would sooo prefer "Gold Bosses" haha.

Kid Minneapolis
09-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Swagger
Verb
1. To walk or strut with a defiant or insolent air
2. to boast or brag noisily
3. to bring, drive, force, etc., by blustering

adj
informal, rare elegantly fashionable

Synonymous Strut
verb
1. to walk with a vain, pompous bearing, as with head erect and chest thrown out, as if expecting to impress observers
2. informal, to behave or perform in a proud confident manner; show off

The Pacers are using it as the informal(slang) word.

Actually, the informal you're referencing there is the synonym, "strut". ;) Says it right there. Swagger is the first 3 points. Unless you mean the Pacers are "rare elegantly fashionable." ;)

Since86
09-21-2012, 03:33 PM
Nobody uses "bad" anymore, lol... that's so behind the times. "Boss" is the new "bad". I would sooo prefer "Gold Bosses" haha.

Okay? Whether or not the word is still used doesn't have anything to do with the point I made. The point is that dictionary definitions don't always match up with how they're used in the real world. Bad was one example.

Kid Minneapolis
09-21-2012, 03:35 PM
Okay? Whether or not the word is still used doesn't have anything to do with the point I made. The point is that dictionary definitions don't always match up with real world usage of words. Bad was one example, swagger is another.

You said the dictionary was behind the times, I said "bad" was behind--- nevermind, joke over.

I still don't think swagger was the best choice, just saying they have a marketing team and all they could come up with is a word that in most decades is a negative connotation.

Eleazar
09-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Actually, the informal you're referencing there is the synonym, "strut". ;) Says it right there. Swagger is the first 3 points. Unless you mean the Pacers are "rare elegantly fashionable." ;)

:picardriker:

Kid Minneapolis
09-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Just sayin'. You people have zero sense of humor, sheesh. I mean... you...... did..... use the definition of "strut"........

Fine, I'll shut up and proudly wave my Blue Collar, Gold Arrogance flag!

Eleazar
09-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Just sayin'. You people have zero sense of humor, sheesh. I mean... you...... did..... use the definition of "strut"........

Fine, I'll shut up and proudly wave my Blue Collar, Gold Arrogance flag!

No, I did not use the word strut, I didn't use any word. I put the definition of swagger up there and its only synonym. You just assumed I was referring to the informal meaning of strut, instead of swagger as I made no distinction.

With that said you are right that I put strut in there for a reason, because they are synonyms. Now here is the definition of synonym.

1. a word having the same or nearly the same meaning as another in the language
2. a word or expression accepted as another name for something

Swagger = Strut

gummy
09-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Okay? Whether or not the word is still used doesn't have anything to do with the point I made. The point is that dictionary definitions don't always match up with how they're used in the real world. Bad was one example.

Exactly. Most of us are aware of the technical definition of swagger, so I think you are guessing wrong there Kid Minneapolis - we're just not getting hung up on it. Language is somewhat flexible. Cultural context matters (I can't believe I'm explaining this to someone else, since I'm autistic and often pedantic :laugh:). In this case, the "gold swagger," is preceded by and modified by the "blue collar." If the marketing people were just going with "gold swagger," on its own I would like it nearly as much.

Also, I think there's nothing wrong with a little insolence directed at the reigning World Champs, or that team in Chicago. ;) But seriously, even when we're not particularly arrogant or insolent it seems that the big boys see us that way anyway for daring to play them tough (all the "celebrating" nonsense from last season). We seem to have embraced the role of disciplined, hard-working, in-your-face nemesis. I don't mind that. I think it's perfect for a "no superstar" team.

This conversation is amusing me. :D

J7F
09-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Ha ha... Boss was going out of style when I was turning into a teenager...

Can we all not agree that many trendy words or phrases are cyclical?

To me personally... All phrases are timeless... And are awesome when used unexpectedly...

I dropped the word "grody" the other day and my sister in law nearly **** herself with laughter...

Kid Minneapolis
09-21-2012, 07:07 PM
No, I did not use the word strut, I didn't use any word. I put the definition of swagger up there and its only synonym. You just assumed I was referring to the informal meaning of strut, instead of swagger as I made no distinction.

With that said you are right that I put strut in there for a reason, because they are synonyms. Now here is the definition of synonym.

1. a word having the same or nearly the same meaning as another in the language
2. a word or expression accepted as another name for something

Swagger = Strut

Nearly the same.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2