PDA

View Full Version : Jalen Rose (Basically) Admits to Trying Hurt Kobe in 2000 NBA Finals

Ransom
09-18-2012, 04:22 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/jalen-rose-jovially-admits-trying-hurt-kobe-bryant-195156024--nba.html

Just the link, I'm on an iPhone. Actually a bit funny and sad (from the pacer point of view).

imawhat
09-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Wow, that's unfortunate. And disappointing.

FlavaDave
09-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Yeah, not a fan of that.

LeBron did it to Granger this year in the playoffs.

Mad-Mad-Mario
09-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Like the article said, if its an accident. No problem **** happens. But to do it on purpose, damn. Rose was always one of my favorite Pacers, but guess I gotta think a little differently of him now.

Ransom
09-18-2012, 05:37 PM
For the record, I don't think of the act as funny, just that Rose unintentionally contributed to Kobe's legend by setting him up for a comeback in game 4.

Basketball Fan
09-18-2012, 06:09 PM
For the record, I don't think of the act as funny, just that Rose unintentionally contributed to Kobe's legend by setting him up for a comeback in game 4.

And he was in that 81 point game that Kobe had too

Pacer Fan
09-18-2012, 06:23 PM
And Lebron did it to Danny!

Hicks
09-18-2012, 07:19 PM
Wow, that's unfortunate. And disappointing.

Yep.

cdash
09-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Rose is candid. I appreciate that.

Hicks
09-18-2012, 07:32 PM
Rose is candid. I appreciate that.

In this context?

cdash
09-18-2012, 07:34 PM
In this context?

Yeah. He admitted to a dirty play that tons and tons of players do. Do I condone it? No. Do I think differently of Rose? No.

Ransom
09-18-2012, 07:57 PM
You'd like to think he's beyond that now. His hesitancy to say he did it makes me wonder if it was a spur of the moment "I'll just stick my foot here," thing and not terribly premeditated.

Hicks
09-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Yeah. He admitted to a dirty play that tons and tons of players do. Do I condone it? No. Do I think differently of Rose? No.

I don't understand.

cdash
09-18-2012, 08:08 PM
I don't understand.

Admittedly, I skimmed through the article. I understood it as: Kobe went up for a jump shot, Rose stuck his foot out purposely so Kobe would land on it, Kobe did, got hurt, etc.

...if that's correct, I appreciate his candidness in admitting it.

Hicks
09-18-2012, 08:21 PM
I mean, I understand in that sense, but I don't understand having a sense of appreciation about it given that it was a dirty act.

cdash
09-18-2012, 08:25 PM
I mean, I understand in that sense, but I don't understand having a sense of appreciation about it given that it was a dirty act.

I appreciate his candidness, not the act. The act is bush league. My point was that it is a pretty common dirty play in the league that rarely is admitted. I like that he admitted it, not that he did it.

DangerGranger3pointranger
09-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Yeah, at least he fessed up.

spreedom
09-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Being an a-hole isn't forgiven just because you admit it. I've never liked Jalen, especially as an "analyst" for ESPN, and I dislike him even more now. There is nothing more reprehensible in sports than intentionally injuring another player.

Eddie Gill
09-18-2012, 10:18 PM
Jalen has always been one of my favorite Pacers (I even strongly lobbied my parents to name my little brother Jalen to no avail) and this doesn't change that. Let me pose this question: if Kobe didn't go off in game 4 of that series and we wind up winning a championship, would Rose admitting this 12 years later make taint that championship? I'd still take the ring and I would like to think most on here would as well. In a perfect world, sportsmanship would always reign supreme, but in this world there is a thing called gamesmanship that is often far more effective - just ask Reginald Miller.

BlueNGold
09-18-2012, 10:55 PM
It's pretty disappointing. That's cheating but on top of that it's disgraceful. I really liked Jalen a lot...but I don't like hearing this.

BlueNGold
09-18-2012, 10:59 PM
Jalen has always been one of my favorite Pacers (I even strongly lobbied my parents to name my little brother Jalen to no avail) and this doesn't change that. Let me pose this question: if Kobe didn't go off in game 4 of that series and we wind up winning a championship, would Rose admitting this 12 years later make taint that championship? I'd still take the ring and I would like to think most on here would as well. In a perfect world, sportsmanship would always reign supreme, but in this world there is a thing called gamesmanship that is often far more effective - just ask Reginald Miller.

There's a difference between breaking rules in the game and breaking the rule of life. Ever hear of Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan? There's never been an excuse for attempting to hurt someone to win a game.

graphic-er
09-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Nobody around the league cried foul except a few Pacer fans on this board (note a few and not all) when Lebron took out Danny in Game 5.

ChicagoJ
09-18-2012, 11:48 PM
I'm fine with all this. At least he's got a competitive spirit. Too many of these guys are too friendly with their opponents. But there are a lot of guys that don't even think twice about putting their foot in harm's way defensively and that's not a big deal. You don't want to see anybody get hurt but you don't have to make throw a red carpet down for them to get their shot off or to get to the rim, either. Step in, defend, and if they come down on you, so what? You can decide how serious I am. Somewhere between 1% and 100%.

ColeTheMole
09-19-2012, 08:58 AM
A lot of people are advocates of "making players think twice" before driving the lane...specifically Rose in the 2011 playoff series. Now why would Rose think twice? Because last time he drove the lane it hurt.

Many people are okay with turning fouls intentionally harder to bump around the opponents (consequently hurting them; albeit nothing that serious) but Jalen doing this is too malicious? I believe the difference is negligible.

Since86
09-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Intent isn't negligible.

Pacer Fan
09-19-2012, 09:17 AM
The last time Rose drove the lane and it hurt...he was untouched and he tore his acl!

spreedom
09-19-2012, 09:36 AM
A lot of people are advocates of "making players think twice" before driving the lane...specifically Rose in the 2011 playoff series. Now why would Rose think twice? Because last time he drove the lane it hurt.

Many people are okay with turning fouls intentionally harder to bump around the opponents (consequently hurting them; albeit nothing that serious) but Jalen doing this is too malicious? I believe the difference is negligible.

A hard foul that includes making a play on the ball is totally different than being a cheap shot artist. There's no place in basketball for "defenders" who intentionally step under a jump-shooter with the intention of hurting them. It's weak and cowardly, and I have no respect for players who intentionally do it.

Ransom
09-19-2012, 09:38 AM

It'd taint the championship just a little in my mind yes.

Unclebuck
09-19-2012, 10:22 AM
I don't know what my thoughts are on this. Watching the play in question. Jalen makes it look very natural and not on purpose.

Is it suppose to be a foul if you don't allow the shooter to come down? (assuming he comes straight down?)

Still not sure. I am certainly not outraged. But is it "right" not sure.

ChicagoJ
09-19-2012, 10:53 AM
I don't know what my thoughts are on this. Watching the play in question. Jalen makes it look very natural and not on purpose.

Is it suppose to be a foul if you don't allow the shooter to come down? (assuming he comes straight down?)

Still not sure. I am certainly not outraged. But is it "right" not sure.

Maybe I'm still irritated at the NFL's inconsistent application of so-called safety rules, which are only being applied to protect offensive players, but we're really sissy-fying sports right now.

I believe Jalen intended to close out on him at basketball speed. And he did. And when you do so, and when the other guy is also moving at basketball speed, then bumps, collisions and injuries happen and that doesn't require an apology or to be labeled as a cheap shot.

Frankly, I think Jalen is just trying to get some attention. Misguided.

Watching the play, I don't see how you could say anything about intent other than Jalen intended to defend the shot and not just give it to him. There wasn't a leg-whip, there wasn't a pronounced movement of the leg. The only way, at full speed, for Jalen's foot not to get in there was for Jalen to pull up short, at less than full speed, and not contest the shot.

I happen to think that's what me means - that he intended to contest the shot and when you do so you may get too close, your feet may get tangled, somebody might turn an ankle.

I don't buy the idea that, with both players at full speed, Jalen was thinking "the only way I can trip him and get away with it is to make it look like I'm challenging the shot."

We've had other guys (Bowen) who weren't really defending the shot but sticking their legs in there to cause harm. That's dirty. We've had other guys (Reggie) add an unnatural kick to their jumper to keep the defender from getting too close. I wouldn't call it dirty, but I would call that an offensive foul. And that seems more of an intentional play to me than the situation Jalen is describing. I know what Jalen said, but I don't think it makes any sense in the context of the play so I'm dismissing it as an effort to keep his name in circulation.

naptownmenace
09-19-2012, 11:06 AM

I think the entire point of Jalen mentioning it was to say that you shouldn't break the cardinal rule of basketball without getting paid back. He equates the 81 points that Kobe dropped on him to that act. I got the feeling that he regretted it.

Eddie Gill
09-19-2012, 11:10 AM
There's a difference between breaking rules in the game and breaking the rule of life. Ever hear of Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan? There's never been an excuse for attempting to hurt someone to win a game.

Understood. I just think there's a difference between sticking your foot underneath a guy and hitting someone in the knee with a billy club.

avoidingtheclowns
09-24-2012, 12:40 PM
More from Jalen: That time Vince Carter Body Slammed Sam Mitchell

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qur_eh_xm8s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Heisenberg
09-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Can't believe that VC/Sam Mitchell story got out before, at least as far as I know. Spreewell had a history and his incident with Carlesimo was worse (he went after him twice and threatened to get a gun), but it's still attacking a coach. Wonder if some of Carter's missed games to injury were more of the "injury" variety and he got suspended and it was kept in house.

Also, man, for as young as they are the Raptors have had some really great players. And done jack with them.

PGisthefuture
09-24-2012, 04:02 PM
Jalen sure has no problem telling these kind of things to the public.

Lance George
09-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Too bad he didn't knock Kobe out longer and significantly increase our chances at landing a ring that season.

Coopdog23
09-25-2012, 09:06 AM
Only Jalen would say that. He loves criticism. He doesn't care what people think

Naptown_Seth
09-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Hurt does not equal injure.

The step under move leads clearly to high INJURY risk. Giving a guy a hard hit typically is meant to make the foul hurt but without injuring the player. If the player is tough and doesn't care about a little pain he can continue to come into the lane hard, whereas if you intentionally injure a player he has no choice in the matter regardless of how tough he is.

And sadly there might be something to be said for giving the Pacers a chance, at least when you look at the game 5 outcome where Kobe beat the Pacers in OT all by himself. I like seeing them win, but not like that.

spreedom
09-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Only Jalen would say that. He loves attention. He doesn't care what people think

Fixed that for ya.

Pace Maker
09-27-2012, 02:47 PM
Yeah, not a fan of that.

LeBron did it to Granger this year in the playoffs.
:laugh:

lmao no he didn't. Why would he even want to? Granger was hardly even a threat

Coopdog23
09-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Fixed that for ya.

Thanks?