PDA

View Full Version : Pacers add two more to training camp

Hypnotiq
09-17-2012, 10:08 PM
http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/2012/09/17/pacers-blue-and-gold-will-have-18-players-in-camp/

someone want to tell me how Ben is in this he was horrendously AWFUL in summer league beyond terrible

what is Tyler doing giving money to Donnie or KP?

PGisthefuture
09-17-2012, 10:12 PM
There must be something our front office likes about Ben Hansbrough or something. He gets invited to just about everything.

Hypnotiq
09-17-2012, 10:13 PM
There must be something our front office likes about Ben Hansbrough or something. He gets invited to just about everything.

I honestly genuinely believe Tyler plays a huge role in that

Hicks
09-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Seems like it's mostly as a favor to the Hansbrough family. I'd be shocked if he makes the team, but it's good for him to keep his face out there in case another team wants to take a look. He'll probably go to Europe or China.

Speed
09-18-2012, 07:49 AM
Is it a favor to an agent, maybe?

Pacer Fan
09-18-2012, 08:04 AM
Ben has a leg up cause big brother gives him tough pills from his personal stash.

Coopdog23
09-18-2012, 08:29 AM
Ben will be a bust.

Pacer Fan
09-18-2012, 08:47 AM
Ben will be a bust.

Doesn't a player have to have high basketball skills and media expectations in order to be declared a bust?

Speed
09-18-2012, 09:43 AM
whos the 2nd guy they added, for the indystar.com post 20 crowd.

BillS
09-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Oh for crying out loud the last few are just bodies to put on the floor. It's not going to be some nepotistic way of getting Ben onto an NBA team, he's just someone that can body up in camp.

Hicks
09-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Oh for crying out loud the last few are just bodies to put on the floor. It's not going to be some nepotistic way of getting Ben onto an NBA team, he's just someone that can body up in camp.

Sure. But it didn't have to be these particular guys, which is why I was speculating. Regardless, it was going to be someone who wouldn't make the team.

Hypnotiq
09-18-2012, 10:29 AM

ok..? i know he has no chance of hell in making the team

it is just totally bizarre they have some weird obsession with the guy.

Trader Joe
09-18-2012, 10:57 AM
I mean Ben Hansbrough will probably play hard and bust the **** out of George Hill and DJ Augustin. I think he's the perfect training camp guy. That's basically what Tyler is at this point.

pacergod2
09-18-2012, 10:59 AM

How is it some weird obsession, when the guy is Tyler's younger brother and a Notre Dame grad? I just don't see how it is weird. It seems like we are being a good, loyal franchise, like always. Taking care of a player we would like to see around for a while on a cheap deal. The kid doesn't have a chance to be on the team, but I can guarantee he brings it as a hopeless reserve. He will push the other guys and do his part. That is more of what we are looking for in that role than really trying to fill a roster spot with someone who realizes they aren't going to make the team and not give a full effort. I'm sure it probably helps the comraderie of training camp a bit too, since Tyler always seems like a little bit of a loner anyway.

dal9
09-18-2012, 11:45 AM
between the pity TC deals for Ben, and ma dukes scamming UNC, the family is raking it in...

Major Cold
09-18-2012, 11:50 AM
When it comes to training camp fodder does it really matter why they are brought in? At this point there are many players out there that hold the same skill set as Ben. But if they know him and more importantly his character, why not go this route.

Lets say there is a better player out there, who has a chip on their shoulder. And want to prove themselves at all costs. And injures Roy.

Or lets say this said better player is excited, living it up. Enjoying everything. Goes to club Rio to get the full Pacer experience. And is in the headlines.

No it is better to go with the known character with such an insignificant position.

billbradley
09-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Seems like it's mostly as a favor to the Hansbrough family. I'd be shocked if he makes the team, but it's good for him to keep his face out there in case another team wants to take a look. He'll probably go to Europe or China.

I agree with this. I always assumed Ben or local guys filled out camp to help give them exposure. Why wouldn't you?

It also creates more buzz for the Pacers to have Tyler's Notre Dame brother in for camp over some guy nobody knows that isn't making the squad anyway.

Natston
09-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Pacers Digest: where *****ing about the 16th, 17th, and 18th men on a 15 man roster happens.

Nuntius
09-18-2012, 01:37 PM
whos the 2nd guy they added, for the indystar.com post 20 crowd.

He is called Luke Nevill. He is a 7'2", 260 lbs Center from Australia. He played college ball in the University of Utah and went undrafted. He played with the Utah Flash for a season and then he left the US to return to Australia. He played one season with the Melbourne Tigers and then he decided to try his luck in Europe. He signed with BC Triumph Lyubertsy in Russia and played there for a season. He returned to Australia and played for the Perth Wildcats in the last season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Nevill

Most sources say that he is a good defensive presence and can block shots. That's what you ask from a training camp body.

Eleazar
09-18-2012, 01:37 PM
So how soon does training camp happen?

PGisthefuture
09-18-2012, 01:42 PM
So how soon does training camp happen?

That's what I've been wanting to know, but nobody seems to have an answer.

Since86
09-18-2012, 01:57 PM
That's what I've been wanting to know, but nobody seems to have an answer.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=when+does+the+nba+training+camp+start+2012

Eleazar
09-18-2012, 02:00 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=when+does+the+nba+training+camp+start+2012

Ok since you already did the work, when does it start?

Since86
09-18-2012, 02:02 PM
If you clicked the first link provided, you'd see that it starts Oct 2. Not like it's a super secret date or something.

Eleazar
09-18-2012, 02:13 PM
If you clicked the first link provided, you'd see that it starts Oct 2. Not like it's a super secret date or something.

It also isn't like it is a super difficult for someone who already knows to answer to answer.

Since86
09-18-2012, 02:14 PM
I didn't know the answer. I googled it, just like you could have.

Strummer
09-18-2012, 02:24 PM

THEY have a weird obsession? You're the one getting all bent over him getting an invite.

They want a player that knows the system. Someone that they don't have to start from scratch teaching. He'll be able to participate without being disruptive. Without taking teaching moments away from the players that have a chance to make the team.

They've worked with him before and found that he made a positive contribution. So they're asking him to fill that role again. How can that possibly be a bad thing?

Hicks
09-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Pacers Digest: where *****ing about the 16th, 17th, and 18th men on a 15 man roster happens.

:shrug: I don't see anyone *****ing.

Eleazar
09-18-2012, 03:00 PM
I didn't know the answer. I googled it, just like you could have.

If it annoys you that much don't google it and don't answer it, just ignore it. That easy no reason to make a big deal of someone asking a question.

Hicks
09-18-2012, 03:28 PM
You're both right.

BillS
09-18-2012, 03:28 PM
If it annoys you that much don't google it and don't answer it, just ignore it. That easy no reason to make a big deal of someone asking a question.

Google for a man and you answer his question for a day.

Teach a man to Google and he won't ever bother you again.

Sandman21
09-18-2012, 03:48 PM
He is called Luke Nevill. He is a 7'2", 260 lbs Center from Australia. He played college ball in the University of Utah and went undrafted. He played with the Utah Flash for a season and then he left the US to return to Australia. He played one season with the Melbourne Tigers and then he decided to try his luck in Europe. He signed with BC Triumph Lyubertsy in Russia and played there for a season. He returned to Australia and played for the Perth Wildcats in the last season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Nevill

Most sources say that he is a good defensive presence and can block shots. That's what you ask from a training camp body.
Sweet. Aussie Fez. :D

Naptown_Seth
09-18-2012, 04:05 PM
I mean Ben Hansbrough will probably play hard and bust the **** out of George Hill and DJ Augustin. I think he's the perfect training camp guy. That's basically what Tyler is at this point.
I like Ben at guard more than Tyler at PF. To me Ben was more of a "gamer" at ND. Not mindless hustle but basketball smarts type of gamer.

He just doesn't quite have the skill level to take full advantage. I was happy they looked at him this summer and I'm fine with another look now.

Nuntius
09-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Sweet. Aussie Fez. :D

Sort of. Fez had a better offensive game and that guy is a better shot blocker from what most info say. In any case, a huge body in the training camp is always welcome.

BornReady
09-19-2012, 01:45 AM
this thread getting catty real fast. man we're all bball deprived aren't we.