PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Buck would drop over dead....

Peck
11-24-2004, 09:11 PM
if he just heard Steve "Snapper" Jones on ESPN.

I'm watching the Cavs. flatten the Pistons in the first half when Steve makes the following comment.

I'm paraphrasing. In the battle between an excellent offense & an excellent defense, the offense will win every time.

I nearly fell out of my chair imagining the look on his face when I heard that.

Suaveness
11-24-2004, 09:22 PM
Wow

3Ball
11-24-2004, 09:50 PM
I not sure what we saw tonight was either one.

Unclebuck
11-24-2004, 11:46 PM
Snapper has said similar things in the past. That is one reason why I never thought he was a good announcer. Very bland

Alabama-Redneck
11-24-2004, 11:56 PM
I think Yogi Berra makes more sense than Jones.:laugh:

BigMac
11-24-2004, 11:58 PM
Snapper has said similar things in the past. That is one reason why I never thought he was a good announcer. Very bland

Well said. That is why he "disappeared" from NBA broadcasts for quite a few years before his recent reincarnation.

ChicagoJ
11-30-2004, 07:20 PM
Interesting... I've always thought Snapper was one of the best. His disappearance was due to NBC losing the broadcast contract. I think his contract with NBC did not allow him to immediately join ESPN, thus he was primarily NBA-TV's lead analyst. A few years ago, I used to tune into Blazervision just to hear him do games.

And I've said what he said before, too.

Excellent offense will beat excellent defense every time. Mark it down.

The offensive player has the advantage, he has the ball and he knows what he's going to do with it. If he's truly excellent and in the triple-threat position the defense cannot simultaneously take away his abilty to shoot, drive AND pass.

Now what we usually see in the NBA is that great defense will usually beat good offense.

When a great offensive player is in a zone, even the best defensive player in the league can't stop him.

I now return to searching through the PD archives for a link to the video of the brawl. I need it for a co-worker that was in the Turks all last week on vacation and this week he's working on a major bankruptcy for an airline that might or might not be based in the home city of a team involved in recent, international-headline-reaching off-court incident, and needs to get up-to-speed so he can talk to "the locals". I will neither confirm nor deny stating that I didn't want to work remotely on that particular case this week because said team was on the west coast right now. :rolleyes:

Bball
11-30-2004, 07:35 PM
Excellent offense will beat excellent defense every time. Mark it down.

The problem is that excellent defense can exist in the real world while excellent offense can exist only theoretically (in a sustained form).

A team playing excellent defense can bring it every game. A team surviving on excellent offense will be at the mercy of their own ability on any given night, the other team's defense, the alignment of the stars, and the refs. IOW, if you are pinning your hopes on excellent offense then you are playing against the game itself AND the other team every time you take the court.

I'll take excellent defense every time myself... Along with an efficient, smart, fundamental offense.

I also think some people confuse "High Scoring" with "Excellent Offense".

-Bball

ChicagoJ
11-30-2004, 07:43 PM
All true. On an individual play, the offense has the advantage. That's why you'll see Jalen Rose or Paul Pierce drop twenty in a quarter on Ron Artest. It won't happen every time they meet, nor even every play. Its not a great long-term strategy, as you said, because it does depend on a multitude of other variables. But when an excellent offensive player is "on", and that's admittedly very rare, they are unstoppable by even an excellent defensive player.

Kegboy
11-30-2004, 11:08 PM
Well, just looking at the recent history of Colts vs. Patriots, I have a hard time agreeing with that statement. :sad: