PDA

View Full Version : NBA Roster Changes Discussion

Constellations
09-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Just thought I'd start a thread to discuss players traded to other teams. I know it's not Pacers, but it helps the off season go by faster.

My top trade surprises:

Boston Celtics: Jason Terry

Brooklyn Nets: Joe Johnson

New York Knicks: Jason Kidd

Philadelphia 76ers: Jason Richardson, Andrew Bynum

Atlanta Hawks: Devin Harris, Kyle Korver

Miami Heat: Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis

Dallas Mavericks: DC (Just because he's my boy)

Houston Rockets: Jeremy Lin, Omer Asik

Denver Nuggets: Andre Iguodala

Utah Jazz: Mo Williams

Golden State Warriors: Andrew Bogut

Los Angeles Lakers: Steve Nash, Dwight Howard, Antwan Jamison

Phoenix Suns: Michael Beasley, Wesley Johnson, Jermaine O'Neal, Luis Scola,

Hicks
09-13-2012, 03:28 PM
It's always interesting how players shuffle around each year. No two seasons are ever the same.

xIndyFan
09-13-2012, 03:32 PM
The Lakers will be interesting to watch. Mainly because Kobe has never shown any interest in letting another player dominate the ball at all. If he lets Nash have the ball, the Lakers will be tough. If not, then the Lakers will be a variation of the same team as last year.

and What's the over/under on games played by Dwight Howard this year? and how long will he be a good citizen about not getting any touches.

xIndyFan
09-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Anyone else think Philly will be pretty good? Maybe Philly and Indy dukeing [sp??? duking?? or is it duke-ing] it out for the top spot. I see Miami getting off to a slow start. Their thinking is they can turn it on whenever they want.

Major Cold
09-13-2012, 03:54 PM
I really think that the Bulls will struggle more than people think. I understand they had a great year without having Rose for much of it. But they lost CJ Watson, Korver, Asik, and Corey Brewer.

They replaced them with Hinrich, Marco, Nazr, Speed Bag, and Vlad Radmonivich.

I will go on a limb and say if Rose does not come back and Boozer/Noah get injured for much of the season, that they will not make the playoffs. Get a lottery pick. And get a stud.

Ace E.Anderson
09-13-2012, 04:08 PM
The Lakers will be interesting to watch. Mainly because Kobe has never shown any interest in letting another player dominate the ball at all. If he lets Nash have the ball, the Lakers will be tough. If not, then the Lakers will be a variation of the same team as last year.

and What's the over/under on games played by Dwight Howard this year? and how long will he be a good citizen about not getting any touches.

If you mean as far as another perimeter player, who has he ever played with that served as a better option to control the ball? D12 will get more than enough touches, it'll be Pau (if anyone) who will be the one complaining about shots and touches.

beast23
09-13-2012, 04:08 PM

To me, you look at what LA has acquired and I think they may have done enough to put them into the finals and another championship.

Since86
09-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Here's a little bit easier way to look at it for the eyes.

:celtics: Jason Terry

:nets: Joe Johnson

:knicks: Jason Kidd

:76ers: Jason Richardson, Andrew Bynum

:hawks: Devin Harris, Kyle Korver

:heat:Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis

:mavericks: DC (Just because he's my boy)

:rockets: Jeremy Lin, Omer Asik

:nuggets: Andre Iguodala

:jazz:Mo Williams

:warriors: Andrew Bogut

:lakers: Steve Nash, Dwight Howard, Antwan Jamison

:suns: Michael Beasley, Wesley Johnson, Jermaine O'Neal, Luis Scola

J7F
09-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Here's a little bit easier way to look at it for the eyes.

Wrong Nets logo!

:P

Psyren
09-13-2012, 06:29 PM
You forgot to add everyones favorite almost Pacer OJ Mayo going to the Mavs.

Solid pickup for them.

xIndyFan
09-13-2012, 06:39 PM

my picks for teams ending the season unhappy with their new guys.

ATL might be happy getting rid of JJ, but Harris and Korver will suck it up.

vnzla81
09-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Jason Terry was a free agent he wasn't traded.

imbtyler
09-14-2012, 03:42 AM
my picks for teams ending the season unhappy with their new guys.

ATL might be happy getting rid of JJ, but Harris and Korver will suck it up.

Nah, I think Beasley and Johnson are each going to take a big step forward this season. At least enough of a step so that the trades/signings weren't a waste.

xIndyFan
09-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Nah, I think Beasley and Johnson are each going to take a big step forward this season. At least enough of a step so that the trades/signings weren't a waste.

i hope for PHX's sake you are correct.

personally I don't see it. Nothing they've done so far give the indication that suddenly they will get it. plus they're undersized.

pacergod2
09-14-2012, 01:14 PM

I think Terry was a solid signing for them, as he will give them some versatility in scoring, which they seemed to lack. Rondo will have to learn to play off the ball a little more. Lee is probably my favorite signing for them. He fits their rotation really well and when Rondo, he, and Bradley are in the back court together, their defense won't drop off when they give their vets a rest. When considering their solid draft and the veterans they signed on smaller deals, I think they had a fantastic off-season. They will be better overall than last year IMO.

The Nets don't know what they are. They have no identity at this point. They spent a **** TON of money to add the necessary talent to jump up the standings however. I just don't see this team having the right versatility to win. Who is going to run the PnR with Deron? Humphries who can't hit a jumper? Lopez, who is slow and needs to stay closer to the basket to be effective? I just don't know what this team will be and what the hell Avery Johnson will install to get this team to the next level. They should be a solid defensive team if their front court can contest shots, which I know they can. The back court will have to help rebound to get this team to an elite level. Also, what will their second unit give them?

I hate the Knicks. Go F*** yourselves. The Knicks will be as good as their egos allow themselves to be. Jason Kidd might be a stabilizing force as a veteran presence with Camby and Chandler, but someone needs to pound salt into Carmelo's head so he will pass the ball and play defense.

I think the Sixers are too young to do much. They will be very talented and probably win a lot of regular season games, but they won't replicate last year. They are a first round exit team. They have an enormous amount of talent, however, but their division just got a heck of a lot better. I Turner and Bynum will be terrific together if Turner can hit some outside shots to take pressure off the big man.

The Hawks are a center away from being really good. Wait, I've been saying that for how long? OK, nevermind. Their backcourt is ok, yet they will still come in second in the south. I don't love Harris or Korver, but they will work next to Smith and Horford. Lou Williams is as big of a pickup as anybody on their roster. He will come in and dominate the ball and jack up a bunch of bad shots that Smith will rebound the hell out of. He fills a big need for this team as a scorer on the perimeter. There will be plenty of touches to go around and he will capitalize. let's see how long it takes for Horford to get pissed off about his lack of touches.

the Heat didn't do as well this off-season as people want to give them credit for. They added several more shooters for DWade and Lebron. Bosh is bulking up to play next to Udonis. They still lack front court depth, but it seems like Lebron might be playing a touch more PF.

Mavs kind of reloaded. DC, Mayo, Kaman, Brand, and DJones. They opened more playing time for Beaubois and they got more athletic with their draft picks. I could see Jared Cunningham getting rotation minutes by the end of the year for them. I think they will have a really solid rotation, but I just don't know if they are contenders. They could use a little more depth in their front court, IMO. They have a lot of young wings that could end up trade bait for a big mid season.

Who the hell knows what this team is doing. That wasn't even a question. Lin will be given the reigns to run PnR with their plethora of PFs. They are going to start three PFs and probably will end up trading Martin sooner than later. He won't be good for their clubhouse and doesn't play defense, so I just don't see the GM keeping him around. Good young roster, but I emphasize young.

Loaded roster. They are talented 10 deep and they love to run. Iggy is a great fit. I really like Denver to make a serious run in the post season as long as they don't get the Lakers.

I wish they would trade us Millsap. The Jazz are a good team. I think Mo Willliams is not a good fit for this team. He is a volume shooter. He likes to shoot from deep, which is an asset for this team, so I see why they got him. I just don't think he will facilitate enough to the talent on this roster. I think their biggest off-season move is the development of Burks, Heyward, Favors, and Kanter. That will dictate how much the Jazz improve. I think they are an obvious later seed this year.

The Warriors roster seems to finally be balanced. Health concerns, health concerns, health concerns. This team is a solid ten deep. They have the depth to overcome some injuries, but they won't fulfill their potential without full season from Bogut and Curry. Jack and Landry were their two biggest off-season additions and I love them for this team as stabilizing forces in their rotation.

The Lakers, eh, what did they do this off-seaon?

I really like that the Suns made a decision on their direction to go away from mediocrity. Then they go and sign a bunch of guys who will keep them in mediocrity. They are too talented to be horrible, but are too good to be really bad. Will miss the playoffs as the 10 seed. Goran Dargic will be their starting PG, who was their biggest off-season move. I think Kendall Marshall will be the focus of their youth movement. Although, Scola and O'Neal, didn't make much sense to me. I think they will be a more talented Pacers team from like 2007-2010. Their fanbase will get annoyed that they win too many games, but don't really have a prayer of competing. (Just develop some of your young pieces with more playing time than JOB did.)

Answers inside quote. Also in response to the Suns being undersized, I think they plan on playing Beasley at the three and Johnson at the two, which actually makes them a bigger lineup overall. Markieff Morris and Gortat should be their starters in the front court, and I would bring Scola off the bench, which is plenty of size up front to push those two players closer to the back court.

Shade
09-14-2012, 06:56 PM
I'm still disgusted that the Lakers, with no cap room, managed to acquire the best C in the game, along with a Top 5 PG. Kupchak must have something on every GM in the league the way he constantly fleeces everybody.

spreedom
09-19-2012, 07:20 PM
I think anybody expecting anything other than more terrible basketball out of Wes Johnson is in for a disappointment. He's one of those guys who excelled in college because of his athleticism, but in NBA terms he's only an above-average athlete. He isn't much of a shooter, though he can score off of slashes and occasionally hit open shots, but he frequently looks lost on defense, and doesn't really have a position. He doesn't have the shooting range to be a guard, and also isn't big and physical enough to be a full-time small forward. I can see why the Suns would take a flyer on him, but the Timberwolves gave him away along with a first-rounder for only two 2nd-rounders in return. I think there's a pretty good reason for that.

On a related note, I think the Mavericks and Timberwolves had the best under-the-radar offseasons. If Mayo can figure out what he was doing wrong these last couple of seasons and come back strong, I think the Mavs have a good chance to keep their 50+ streak going. If he's a flop, they might not even make the playoffs.

For Minnesota, I like that they "trimmed the fat," so to speak, by sending Johnson and Beasley out the door and also how they added Brandon Roy. If he stays healthy (and that's kind of a big if), and Rubio comes back strong, I'd be very surprised if they weren't in the playoffs at the end of the year. We might see a lot more MVP hype for Kevin Love as well, if that's the case.