PDA

View Full Version : It's Now Slick's Time

mboyle1313
09-11-2012, 06:40 PM
All,

Reggie and Mel are now in, and justifiably so. It's now Slick's time.

MJB

http://tinyurl.com/92ghycw

Tom White
09-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Mark, you probably had all the powers at the Hall of Fame nodding their collective heads in agreement......right up until the Stewie Grifin comment. If Slick now never makes it into the hall, we'll have to lay the blame squarely at the feet of Seth MacFarlane.

J7F
09-11-2012, 08:06 PM
All,

MJB

Has Slick ever mentioned to you what it would mean to him to get in?

Sandman21
09-11-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that being head of Nike should not make your HOF-worthy, especially when one's induction speech was basically a giant Nike advertisement.

mboyle1313
09-11-2012, 08:16 PM
J7F,

Whenever it's mentioned, he's very dismissive and claims it's not important.

But he's lying.

MJB

glazedham42
09-11-2012, 08:54 PM
I hope Slick makes it in. He deserves it, and man can you imagine the speech he would give at the induction ceremony? It would be priceless...

Heisenberg
09-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Reggie getting in was great, but Slick getting in would make me much happier. He's been calling games 95% of my life, I've grown up listening to the guy. He feels like some kind of distant uncle really. I can remember being around 10 years old and watching games with my grandma, who's now passed on, and her giving Boom Babies with a fist pump right along with Slick. Slick gave me that memory.

Trader Joe
09-12-2012, 12:37 AM
Slick's the man. I hope he gets into the hall of fame, but honestly I don't give a fooey whether that joke of an establishment wants to recognize him or not. The man has been an institution around this franchise in one shape or form for nearly 50 years.

BillS
09-12-2012, 09:04 AM
To have a Basketball Hall of Fame without William Robert Leonard is analogous to having an animated hall of fame without Stewie Griffin

:bowdown:

Thanks for this letter, Mr. Boyle. I wish for all of us that your career continues to grow while keeping you right here with us in Indy.

Bball
09-12-2012, 02:15 PM
All,

MJB

I feel compelled to disagree... It's been Slick's time for quite some time already.

owl
09-12-2012, 06:17 PM
All,

MJB

Slick is an Indiana treasure deeply linked to what basketball has meant to this state. He is certainly overdue for induction.

beast23
09-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Mark -

I am not a religious man.... at all.

But, may God bless you.

Very, very long overdue. I only hope that your position and the fact that you have written an excellent letter presenting your case will carry some weight with the HOF.

I did not go to Springfield for Reggie, even though I casually know him and he is one of a handful of my favorite all-time Pacers. But, I'll say it now. I would go to Springfield for Slick. That is one occasion I would not want to miss.

threein73
09-13-2012, 05:48 PM
A few years ago when there was an article in the Star about Slick's HOF qualifications, I sent in a Readers Write comment about how Slick was way overdue and the bias against the ABA was ridiculous, etc.. I actually had the clipping from the paper and showed it to Slick prior to a Pacers - Hawks game here in the ATL. He said he had heard about it and was appreciative, but as previously stated, had little to say, if anything, about him, getting in. I gave him the Remember the Titans quote: "Your Hall of Fame in my book!". But in the past I have heard him talk about Roger, Mel, etc., not being in and how crazy that was, especially concerning some of the folks who are/were in it. Anyway, as with Mel, better late than never, and considering what is now finally happening, I feel pretty confident that he will get in next year, and cannot wait for that ceremony, with Mel welcoming him, in person!

BlueNGold
09-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Totally agree. It's very important that they do this before he's gone. He deserves it.

09-14-2012, 08:08 AM
"BOOM, BABY"!

How is that not equally as slick as any thing Dick Vitale has said?