PDA

View Full Version : So NBA League Pass Broadband billed me a month early with no warning for auto renewal

Hicks
09-04-2012, 05:36 PM
I got a postcard in the mailbox a couple of days ago (I guess it must have been Saturday given that it would have been Sunday followed by Labor Day since) saying that "You will be billed in early October 2012 at the price of $179" regarding my broadband account being renewed automatically after I bought it for last season back in December 2011.

Okay, fine. I don't want to renew, so I went online, logged in, found the account, and cancelled it / set it to status: Inactive. No problem, right?

Wrong.

I should mention that just today, about 2PM, I got an e-mail with a similar message as the postcard. "Your NBA LEAGUE PASS BROADBAND PREMIUM subscription is set to automatically renew on October 1, 2012 at the special Early Bird price of $179."

I checked my credit card online just a little while ago this afternoon, and I see that on SEPTEMBER first, I was billed for $179 by NBA League Pass.

I'm pissed right now.

So I just submitted a ticket a short while ago explaining the situation and demanding my money back; hopefully I'll hear back this week. But it just pisses me off that they would have the nerve to charge me on September 1st when they're sending me postcards and e-mails either on the day of, or AFTER the day of billing, lying to me about it not happening until OCTOBER 1st.

I figured I could rant / warn others at the same time by posting this here. Be warned.

billbradley
09-04-2012, 05:44 PM
I figured I could rant / warn others at the same time by posting this here. Be warned.

Good looking out, Just checked, same thing happened to me.

dal9
09-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Blake Ahearn doesn't come for free I guess.

xBulletproof
09-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Wow, I would be ready to punch someone.

Even though I want to renew your can't slam someone for $200 unexpectedly. A lot of people wouldn't have it.

I would have the money, but it would **** me off anyway.

vnzla81
09-04-2012, 06:34 PM

:laugh:

I'm glad I now get it for free :)

King Tuts Tomb
09-05-2012, 03:17 AM
Excuse me if it's too personal, but why aren't you getting League Pass?

Ransom
09-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Same thing happened to me.

(I just got married and money is tight)

vapacersfan
09-05-2012, 08:51 AM
I just got the same postcard yesterday....for the second time.

I went online, and I do not have an "auto renewal" set up. I emailed and called, and so far have got no answers......

frustrating to say the least

xtacy
09-05-2012, 09:18 AM

after a long boring meeting, that laugh was what i needed.

xtacy
09-05-2012, 09:25 AM
we are not talking about international league pass broadband, right?

xBulletproof
09-05-2012, 10:04 AM
I'm wondering if they were just supposed to alert cable companies so that it appeared on October cable bills, but someone made a mistake and hit all accounts.

That would make some sense, anyway.

Ransom
09-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Googling, it looks like this has been a recurring problem with league pass for awhile, auto renewing without consent. Though I seem to remember that auto renew is the default option?

Hicks
09-05-2012, 11:42 AM
I'm wondering if they were just supposed to alert cable companies so that it appeared on October cable bills, but someone made a mistake and hit all accounts.

That would make some sense, anyway.

In my case, the cable companies have nothing to do with it; I just paid exclusively for NBA League Pass Broadband.

Hicks
09-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Googling, it looks like this has been a recurring problem with league pass for awhile, auto renewing without consent. Though I seem to remember that auto renew is the default option?

In previous years when I got League pass on TV, yes, it was always set to autorenew, so I wasn't surprised they were doing this with Broadband as well, but it's the timing and misleading information that pisses me off. I fully intended to cancel this when it was brought back to my attention after the off season, and then suddenly I'm being billed a month early and essentially given 0 time to cancel before it was too late.

Pingu
09-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Had the same thing happen to me a couple years ago. I canceled my subscription right after the end of the regular season this year so that it wouldn't happen again.

Hicks
09-05-2012, 05:00 PM
No update on my ticket yet...

Ransom
09-05-2012, 05:03 PM
No update on my ticket yet...

I've heard it takes around 3 days.

xBulletproof
09-05-2012, 05:18 PM
In my case, the cable companies have nothing to do with it; I just paid exclusively for NBA League Pass Broadband.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

I was saying that someone was supposed to charge just the cable accounts in September and broadband accounts in October, like you were told. Except someone screwed up and charged every type of account in early September.

That's the only way I can see some sense behind it.

glazedham42
09-05-2012, 07:48 PM
I just got the same postcard yesterday....for the second time.

I went online, and I do not have an "auto renewal" set up. I emailed and called, and so far have got no answers......

frustrating to say the least

Mine is the same way. At the end of the season last year I signed up for the last 10 games or whatever. It was the $20 package they do in the last 2 weeks of the season. I figured, ehh why not. It's only $20. So I got an email yesterday telling me that I was set to auto renew on October 1st. I NEVER sign up for anything to auto-renew from my bank account, so I knew something was wrong right away. I would never sign up for full league pass. I was almost too cheap to spend the $20 on the last 10 games. So I figured, no problem. I'll just log into my NBA account and cancel the auto-renew. So I log into my account following the instructions from the email exactly, and there is NOTHING in there relating to my league pass account auto-renewing at all. The only options I have are to unsubscribe from emails, change my password, and change my favorite team.

Thankfully I haven't been charged for anything yet. However, it is still extremely frustrating to know that they think I am signed up for something I can't cancel, and they have my credit card and plan to charge me in a month for something I don't want.

If anyone has any success with any of this please share. I'm sure you will anyway though.

Ransom
09-06-2012, 12:16 AM
Some language, but this is how to cancel league pass: http://igohardnow.blogspot.com/2011/12/how-to-cancel-nba-league-pass-broadband.html?m=1

Indra
09-06-2012, 07:57 AM
I have had issues with NBA League Pass before too. They make it very difficult to cancel, and I've been billed early before too. I won't be purchasing anything from them anymore. I usually just send them a nasty e-mail to their customer service account and that gets me cancelled pretty quickly.

Hoop
09-06-2012, 10:00 AM
The whole NBA Broadband thing has been a screwed up mess from the beginning. I have had DTV NBA Pass for 10+ years with no problems.

The broadband side has been free with the DTV purchase, except every freaking year they have screwd it up. I have to email, complain, b*tch till they turn it on. It has never worked the first time like it should and they are freaking morons to deal with. DTV has been helpful but they can't turn it on from their end.

This last season they changed the internet format, I couldn't even watch it on any TV or Computer that is 16:9 format, the bottom of the screen where you click on the games didn't show.

pacer4ever
09-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Yes this is why I chat and cancel after every season. Nfl rewind is good about telling you auto-renew is on.

RLeWorm
09-06-2012, 11:22 AM
same thing with me! got an email the other day saying my setting is on auto renewal and will automatically renew on october 1 or something. It gives me links to change the setting but there is no way to change it. NBA is trying to take our money.

ColeTheMole
09-07-2012, 06:41 PM
UPDATE : I recieved an email from NBA.com saying that basically they know their website is messed up.

If you go to nba.com/update, then login, then click on the subscription that is active then click cancel, it will work. Thank goodness.

vapacersfan
09-08-2012, 10:25 AM
I got the same note. Got another one personalized to me apologizing for the confusion and explaining that I had not been billed yet.

They musta got a lot of complaints as of late

Hicks
09-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Still no update / response to my submitted ticket... :mad:

BoomBaby31
09-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Call your Credit Card or bank and tell them you want a "charge back.". Explain your exact situation that you have on here and they will give you back your money.

Hicks
09-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Call your Credit Card or bank and tell them you want a "charge back.". Explain your exact situation that you have on here and they will give you back your money.

I started to do something like that through the website when I first realized what was going on, but it asked that I try to resolve it with the NBA first to save time.

Anthem
09-08-2012, 07:58 PM
I thought my postcard said $119.99. Did I mis-read it?

gummy
09-08-2012, 08:23 PM
I thought my postcard said $119.99. Did I mis-read it?

Mine did too. But I'm on the pick 5 or 7 or whatever it is this year plan. I guess you are too?

Constellations
09-09-2012, 02:50 AM
I called to order my LP yesterday and they told me it was too early. I was like uh, ok?

Hicks
09-10-2012, 05:10 PM
I have had issues with NBA League Pass before too. They make it very difficult to cancel, and I've been billed early before too. I won't be purchasing anything from them anymore. I usually just send them a nasty e-mail to their customer service account and that gets me cancelled pretty quickly.

Do you know what address that is? My ticket has not been touched since Tuesday and I'm starting to get angry again.

RLeWorm
09-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Do you know what address that is? My ticket has not been touched since Tuesday and I'm starting to get angry again.

it took a while til the emailed me back after i submitted a ticket. I just got the email the other day and cancel. Try using this link to see if you can change your subscription. This is the link they gave me: www.nba.com/update

Ransom
09-11-2012, 09:10 AM
it took a while til the emailed me back after i submitted a ticket. I just got the email the other day and cancel. Try using this link to see if you can change your subscription. This is the link they gave me: www.nba.com/update

Wow, thanks! Finally canceled it.

Anthem
09-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Mine did too. But I'm on the pick 5 or 7 or whatever it is this year plan. I guess you are too?
Yep. Good call, thanks.

Hicks
09-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Finally!

I just got an e-mail this afternoon confirming my refund over the next 5-7 days.