PDA

View Full Version : pacers to sign two players

rel
11-24-2004, 02:50 PM
Tremaine Fowlkes and Britton Johnsen

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/fowlkes_johnsen_041124.html

rel
11-24-2004, 02:52 PM
as much as i think we need more players...im kinda sad bcuz i really liked watching when only 8 players were available

just seemed more exciting...i dont know...thats just me

pb777
11-24-2004, 02:53 PM
what made the pacers sign them? are they the best forwards on the market?

Kstat
11-24-2004, 02:53 PM
Tremaine Fowlkes and Britton Johnsen

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/fowlkes_johnsen_041124.html

Far as I know, Britton's only accomplishment was posterizing LeBron James ina summer league game.

As for fowlkes.....he was on the Pistons last year. Very Athletic defender, he can guard most any NBA SF. But can't dribble or shoot to save his life.

obnoxiousmodesty
11-24-2004, 02:55 PM
That's going to be a bit of a strange experience for Fowlkes, going from Detroit to Indy in one season.

I remember Johnsen well from his days in college. He was a very solid player for them and brought a working man's mentality to the Utes.

Of course, we should not expect much from either, although surprises do occur. I'd sure welcome one or two (surprises) right now.

pb777
11-24-2004, 02:55 PM
as much as i think we need more players...im kinda sad bcuz i really liked watching when only 8 players were available

just seemed more exciting...i dont know...thats just meHopfully these new guys will just come off the bench sparingly to give JJ, Freddie and Pollard a rest when they are exhausted.

indygeezer
11-24-2004, 02:59 PM
Hopfully these new guys will just come off the bench sparingly to give JJ, Freddie and Pollard a rest when they are exhausted.

Hopefully they are the Nos. 12 and 13 players for the Pacers.

yuck.....I knew I wouldn't get Karl Malone....darnit.

pb777
11-24-2004, 03:03 PM
gary trent even looked good. he's at home in columbus OH chillin, wishing his phone would ring...

obnoxiousmodesty
11-24-2004, 03:03 PM
Well, at least Fowlkes and Johnsen will be motivated. These two guys should look at this as an opportunity to showcase their abilities over the next six weeks, so you'd hope they will bust their butts in hopes another team will notice.

pb777
11-24-2004, 03:04 PM
U think Barkley's too old to play? he defended us when the other commentators were ****ting on us...

FSU-IU
11-24-2004, 03:04 PM
Speaking of Fowlkes - I was fortunate to watch/interview this guy a lot while at FSU.

Negatives:
Cal Berkeley - suspended - accepting benefits
Fresno State - suspensions; alleged failed drug tests, alleged academic issues (others doing assignments for him).........

Positives: worked his *** off, and seemed to care whether or not his FSU teams lost. This is saying a lot considering the cast of characters that Tarkanian put together while at FSU.

Does any of his past matter now? I don't know, to each his own I guess. Always seemed like a nice guy, just not cut out for abiding NCAA guidelines.

sweabs
11-24-2004, 03:11 PM
Is Britton Johnsen the guy who I'm thinking of? I don't know if anyone else watched "Real Training Camp" this year with the New Orleans Hornets...but I believe this guy was trying out for their team (and sadly got cut). He certainly is motivated...but I still don't really like the pick-up.

As for Fowlkes, like Kstat mentioned, his defense is outstanding. So for a guy coming way off the bench, I'll take it.

obnoxiousmodesty
11-24-2004, 03:13 PM
Is Britton Johnsen the guy who I'm thinking of? I don't know if anyone else watched "Real Training Camp" this year with the New Orleans Hornets...but I believe this guy was trying out for their team (and sadly got cut). He certainly is motivated...but I still don't really like the pick-up.
Yup, that's the guy.

Ragnar
11-24-2004, 03:18 PM
Man I wanted Holcomb

rel
11-24-2004, 03:24 PM
Man I wanted Holcomb

i heard he has a contract with a european team

3Ball
11-24-2004, 03:29 PM
I think I speak for 99.99% of the free world when I say: WHO?

Big vote of confidence for Freddie Jones.

Ragnar
11-24-2004, 03:33 PM
Yeah he has one pending. I cant believe that he would take it considering he could get some serious pt in the NBA.

3Ball were you refering to Holcomb when you said WHO?

He was on our pre-season roster. He played like he was taylor made for the NBA. His passing, D and scoring were all NBA ready. He needed to make the roster over Edwards. I am upset that they chose to go with a guy who gives you nothing just because he is big over a guy who is ready to play right now.

Eindar
11-24-2004, 03:35 PM
Do we really need guys who got cut by the worst team in the league?

Peck
11-24-2004, 03:35 PM
Holcomb should have been kept after training camp. He could play now, not in a few years. God I hate the fact that we always seem to keep the player who is just tall. This John Edwards cannot play, he is just tall. He barely got off of the bench last night.

But who knew that the need would be so dire? I have no idea who these two players are, but we need all the help we can get.

RSmits
11-24-2004, 03:44 PM
A quick google search yielded the following:

- These guys are a tandem-- they were the last two guys cut by the Hornets after being signed as free agents in September. A few weeks ago, when Ron Mercer went down, they both worked out for the Nets along with Marcus Haislip.

- Johnsen is a 6' 10 cerebal, althetic white guy who plays very well within the system, "almost to a fault." Decent mid-range jump shot but too hesitant from beyond 18 feet. Consisently scouted as a great "team" guy. Was a leader at Utah and is towards the top of their list in scoring records.

- Fowlkes is really 6'6 or 6'7, not the listed 6' 8. Fairly athletic and an above average rebounder for his size. Transferred from Cal to Fresno State, then left early to be drafted in the second round. Seems like a guy who needed the last year in college to develop an offensive game.

indygeezer
11-24-2004, 03:57 PM
I wonder if they tried AT ALL to coax the real Rik Smits outta retirement for a few weeks.

That would have been sweet.

<edit> I guess it would be simple to cut these guys when the "real" Pacers come back. NOt like some "Name" player.