PDA

View Full Version : Kings moving to Virginia?

Sandman21
08-23-2012, 01:23 PM
http://www.news10.net/news/article/206251/3/Report--Sacramento-Kings-moving-to-Virginia

Return of the Virginia Squires? (Wonder how the Wizards feel about this).

Sandman21
08-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Kevin Pelton ‏@kpelton

No reason for Seattle folks to panic about Virginia Beach possibility. Told that @SonicsArena is "way ahead of" this plan.
Retweeted by Hardwood Paroxysm
Collapse

Retweet
Favorite

Sandman21
08-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Now I'm confused:

Sean Cunningham ‏@News10Sean

Calm down. The #nbakings are not moving to Virginia Beach. Now go about your day. Even if being explored, reality & logic will step in
Collapse

Retweet
Favorite

Ole boy might want to check his station's website... ;)

Heisenberg
08-23-2012, 01:30 PM
The seems like an awful market for an NBA team.

MyFavMartin
08-23-2012, 01:32 PM
Norfolk N Way

Sandman21
08-23-2012, 01:33 PM
I guess they should have hired Jim O'Brien.

Trader Joe
08-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Only if they call themselves the Va. Giants....

Sandman21
08-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Okay, who punked the TV station?

CBS Sacramento ‏@CBSSacramento

"We haven't talked to Virginia Beach." - Joe Maloof http://cbsloc.al/SsqnMR #CBS13
Retweeted by Hardwood Paroxysm
Expand

Retweeted
Favorite

ilive4sports
08-23-2012, 02:45 PM
and this is why i dont watch channel 10 news. and their horrible ticker bar, preview bar, and logo that constantly changes and is ****ing annoying as i try to watch the news.

Peck
08-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Norfolk N Way

I see what you did there. :)

Major Cold
08-23-2012, 03:09 PM
I guess they should have hired Jim O'Brien.
:deadhorse

MyFavMartin
08-23-2012, 05:24 PM
I see what you did there. :)

All credit to the old Bob n Tom skit.

xIndyFan
08-23-2012, 06:04 PM
All credit to the old Bob n Tom skit.

not their funniest, but close.

my personal favorite is the fu-ku-tu-ku bank skit.

I almost drove off the road the first time I heard it. :laugh:

2minutes twoa
08-27-2012, 11:50 PM

If Memphis and New Orleans can get a team then anything is possible!

pacers74
08-28-2012, 07:50 AM

You have to count the whole Hampton Roads area. It is pretty big. When I lived there they used to say it is the biggest/most populated area without a profesional team.

xIndyFan
08-28-2012, 08:07 AM
You have to count the whole Hampton Roads area. It is pretty big. When I lived there they used to say it is the biggest/most populated area without a profesional team.

plus, IIRC, that area is fairly wealthy. It's ability to support an NBA team is greater than simple numbers indicates. Not sure how much of an NBA crowd there is though. Lots of college basketball fans, but not at all sure about NBA fans. Especially about a bad team.

vapacersfan
08-28-2012, 08:38 AM
plus, IIRC, that area is fairly wealthy. It's ability to support an NBA team is greater than simple numbers indicates. Not sure how much of an NBA crowd there is though. Lots of college basketball fans, but not at all sure about NBA fans. Especially about a bad team.

Really?

I thought it was mostly a military/transiant area with lower incomes.

This area has survived the Wizards sucking for a long time, but I wonder how many people would support a team (especially if it is bad)

MiaDragon
08-28-2012, 09:49 AM

Its the only place I've even been where McDonald's shut down over the winter slow season. I cant see how a team would fair very well there at all.

xIndyFan
08-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Really?

This area has survived the Wizards sucking for a long time, but I wonder how many people would support a team (especially if it is bad)

OK, maybe I don't recall correctly. :laugh: If it is as you say, the the Kings would be insane to move there.

vapacersfan
08-28-2012, 10:30 AM
OK, maybe I don't recall correctly. :laugh: If it is as you say, the the Kings would be insane to move there.

Northern Virginia has lots of money (govt workers, lots of businesses) and it seems every year we are competing for most expensive city and cost of living with places like L.A.

Now obviously not everyone in that area is military, but I see them having to expand their market further out.

Not saying its a terrible idea, but I just dont see military folks floking to a pro team of any kind (minor league teams do really well, but they also have $.50 hot dog nights. When was the last time anything at a NBA game cost $.50?)

MyFavMartin
08-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Folks, it appears that there might be some confusion in this thread with regard to "Virginia" or the location of Virginia Beach. It's in the southeast corner of the state and not even close to DC, so there's little implication as to how it would affect the Wizards with regard to butts in the seats. Media might be otherwise, but no one is driving to see Wizards games, though I do love their new ownership and moves and expect them to be competing for a PO spot next year.

In comparison, Chicago and Indy are closer than VA Beach and DC:

Distance from VA Beach to DC: 209 miles

Distance from Indy to Chicago: 180 miles

As for the economics of the area, I can't comment. I don't think Charlotte would be much different or worse.

Recent proposal at a VA Beach meeting lacked details with regard to financing a new arena, so it's dead.

Cities that are in better position: Vegas, Seattle, St. Louis, Pittsburg. If I was considering, I'd think of a second team in Chicago before VA Beach, St. Louis or Pittsburg though.

ChicagoJ
08-29-2012, 11:05 PM
not their funniest, but close.

my personal favorite is the fu-ku-tu-ku bank skit.

I almost drove off the road the first time I heard it. :laugh:

Oxymoron-5, for pimple-free teenagers.

That may not have been on the same disc.

ChicagoJ
08-29-2012, 11:09 PM
I'd think of a second team in Chicago before VA Beach, St. Louis or Pittsburg though.

Heisley thought about it when the Grizzlies moved, but (a) Reisendorf is difficult, and (b) this isn't a very good NBA town if the hometown team doesn't have an MVP candidate. The don't support the Bulls they way they'd never ever miss a Bears game and the way they'd fill up Wrigley to watch 'em lose.

NY or LA will get a third team before Chicago gets a second team.

pacers74
08-30-2012, 08:38 AM
Really?

Not to say the Kings are moving there or not, but it is not all "military/transiant are with lower incomes". There a lot of areas with higher income just because there a few military bases doesn't mean the whole area is lower income. I lived there for 6 years and my in-laws still live there. They are not lower income, so I have seen the higher income areas and they are very nice. You sir are very mistaken.

vapacersfan
08-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Not to say the Kings are moving there or not, but it is not all "military/transiant are with lower incomes". There a lot of areas with higher income just because there a few military bases doesn't mean the whole area is lower income. I lived there for 6 years and my in-laws still live there. They are not lower income, so I have seen the higher income areas and they are very nice. You sir are very mistaken.

Ummm, I have lots of family in Virginia Beach (and have visited), and compared to other areas (NOVA) is is a lower income area.

Not to say 100% of the area is military, but a lot of the population is military (or contractors).

So no, sorry, I am not mistaken. I never said everyone is poor, but when you have people who are watching every penny, I doubt they care all that much about a NBA team that would take half of their paycheck (and understandably so)

Of course there are up scale areas. I was just looking at houses in Northern Virginia (Arlington) and I found a house that was selling for $1. Does that mean that everyone there is rich or everyone is poor? No. But as a trend that city is expensive as hell (as evident by the fact a 3br 2 bath TH was going for 499K, and it was a forclosure)

Regardless, this news came out of nowhere and it sounds like it may not happen. Not that I care. I refuse to spend money on the Wizards, and I probably wouldnt travel further to watch basketball unless I was going to visit family. Sadly I feel as of late the NBA has done a good job of pricing the average fan out of a game (and to be fair I could get cheap tickets in the balcony, but I would just as rather watch a game on ESPN on my big screen TV). But that is a discussion for another day

xIndyFan
08-30-2012, 10:47 AM
. . . I refuse to spend money on the Wizards, and I probably wouldnt travel further to watch basketball unless I was going to visit family. Sadly I feel as of late the NBA has done a good job of pricing the average fan out of a game (and to be fair I could get cheap tickets in the balcony, but I would just as rather watch a game on ESPN on my big screen TV). But that is a discussion for another day

Last year the Wiz were one of my favorite League Pass teams. Not sure this year's edition will be. Probably be a better team, just not as interesting to watch.