PDA

View Full Version : Back-seat/vigilante moderating and bumping old threads

Shade
08-22-2012, 10:29 PM
There are a couple of trends that the administrative team has noticed lately that I would like to address.

First is the subject of back-seat/vigilante moderating. While I appreciate the desire of some of our members to help maintain PD's environment, situations such as these are why the administrative team is here, and why the "report post" option exists. In extreme circumstances, there is also the "ignore user" option.

Secondly, bumping old threads without adding new or relevant information is prohibited. All this serves to do is clutter the front page with outdated and oftentimes irrelevant information and, to be honest, is a bit rude. Further instances of this may be met with warnings/infractions.

While I'm at it, I would also like to clarify what justifies a warning/infraction when it comes to forum behavior. This is a discussion forum and, as such, there will be disagreements. Sometimes they may even get a little heated. However, once someone steps over the line (generally by resorting to name-calling or adopting a condescending attitude), that is where we will step in. While we don't want to stifle discussions here at PD, we will also not tolerate it degenerating into a flame war.

Remember, at the end of the day, we're (mostly) all Pacers fans here, so let's keep it civil, capice? :cool:

imbtyler
08-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Sorry about the vigilante moderation (guilty as charged). As you said, I saw the front page clutter up with old, seemingly irrelevant posts, and was getting annoyed. I'll keep it on the DL next time around.

Bball
08-23-2012, 12:01 AM
Meet the new boss... Same as the old boss...

Man, you're no fun!

j/k

vnzla81
08-23-2012, 12:36 AM
So some people that I'm not going to name(but they know who they are ;)) are going to be out of work? no more "vigilantes" or "PD police"? Let's celebrate :dance:

Coupe
08-23-2012, 01:07 AM
I'll bump this in a few years.

King Tuts Tomb
08-23-2012, 02:30 AM
I'm not sure that dropping a couple lines letting someone know that they're going overboard rises to the level of "vigilante moderating." I've never put anyone on ignore because even the worst posters on this board make a good point once in a while, and I'd hate to start now, but I'm not a big fan of this place becoming Jim O'Brien Digest.

wintermute
08-23-2012, 04:49 AM
I'm not sure that dropping a couple lines letting someone know that they're going overboard rises to the level of "vigilante moderating." I've never put anyone on ignore because even the worst posters on this board make a good point once in a while, and I'd hate to start now, but I'm not a big fan of this place becoming Jim O'Brien Digest.

Now that's a bit extreme. Given the (sometimes irrational) hate Obie inspires on this board, them's fighting words :box:

FWIW, PD has always been one of the better policed message boards (which is a good thing in my opinion), and I don't see anything in Shade's post that diverges from past policy. If anything he's being a little lenient I think in posting a public warning when he could just hand out infractions behind the scenes.

idioteque
08-23-2012, 06:56 AM
Well, I bet some of this stuff takes care of itself when the season starts. I've been here awhile now and the natives always get restless in the offseason.

McKeyFan
08-23-2012, 07:41 AM
Thanks Shade.

To clarify, would BlueAndGold have been okay if he had made a comment on each of the handful of threads he bumped?

McKeyFan
08-23-2012, 07:43 AM
Well, I bet some of this stuff takes care of itself when the season starts. I've been here awhile now and the natives always get restless in the offseason.
This is par for the course. The off season requires some old controversial topic to keep the board alive.

BlueNGold
08-23-2012, 07:57 AM
Sorry, and I'll not do that one again. But considering I bumped 3 threads and have no history of doing that after about a decade...I would hope to get some slack.

Also, the newly heated JOb threads were bringing back old memories. Since he was under discussion, I thought I might share what I thought was a critical time period in Jim's history. A time when I think he think he lost the team because we started hearing guys like Dahntay speak out.

But sure, I didn't handle it right and after I did it....I knew that. But it's a little tough to wind back the clock.

Unclebuck
08-23-2012, 08:23 AM
Thanks Shade.

To clarify, would BlueAndGold have been okay if he had made a comment on each of the handful of threads he bumped?

I would recommend either of the following as the preferred method:

1) start a new thread and link each of the three old threads into the new thread. (wow was that horribly worded or does that make sense)

2) or perhaps even better he could have linked the old threads into the existing and current JOB threads. (I do this from time to time)

let me know if that doesn't make sense.

(having said that, I don't believe we are outlawing the bumping of old threads in special circumstances. Although the preferred method is linking old threads to current threads, as I have mentioned in this post)

McKeyFan
08-23-2012, 08:28 AM
I would recommend either of the following:

1) start a new thread and link each of the three old threads into the new thread. (wow was that horribly worded or does that make sense)

2) or perhaps even better he could have linked the old threats into the existing and current JOB threads. (I do this from time to time)

let me know if that doesn't make sense.

Thanks, that does make sense.

(The typo is kinda funny, though.)

ChicagoJ
08-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Adding new and relevant substance to something we've previously discussed isn't necessarily the same thing as bumping an old thread just for the purpose of bumping it.

Really, I thought BnG was just trying to push me off into another 500+ day holiday from PD by bringing O'Brien back to life.

MillerTime
08-23-2012, 09:51 AM
instead of bumping old threads (without new information), just copy and paste the link into the newer thread you want people's attention to

vnzla81
08-23-2012, 11:28 AM
So I guess somebody is not going to bump the "Larry Bird is going to win NBA president of the year" thread for the million time?

IndyJones
08-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Thank you Shade. When I logged in yesterday I initially thought the forum must have reverted to an archived state with all the old threads. I was confused for more than a moment.

Trader Joe
08-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Shade I don't like your condescending attitude. Now I'm going to go back and bump all of the "This team has quit" threads.

Trader Joe
08-23-2012, 12:14 PM

Ain't that the truth, this offseason actually hasn't been too bad IMO. Mostly good discussion about the quality of the Pacers moves.

MnvrChvy
08-23-2012, 01:22 PM
Can I recommend Shade alter his avatar? Layin' down the law!

http://www.pacersdigest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=589&d=1345740580

adamscb
08-24-2012, 04:22 PM
isn't it obvious? OlBlu hijacked Shade's account

OlBlu
08-24-2012, 04:50 PM
There are a couple of trends that the administrative team has noticed lately that I would like to address.

First is the subject of back-seat/vigilante moderating. While I appreciate the desire of some of our members to help maintain PD's environment, situations such as these are why the administrative team is here, and why the "report post" option exists. In extreme circumstances, there is also the "ignore user" option.

Secondly, bumping old threads without adding new or relevant information is prohibited. All this serves to do is clutter the front page with outdated and oftentimes irrelevant information and, to be honest, is a bit rude. Further instances of this may be met with warnings/infractions.

While I'm at it, I would also like to clarify what justifies a warning/infraction when it comes to forum behavior. This is a discussion forum and, as such, there will be disagreements. Sometimes they may even get a little heated. However, once someone steps over the line (generally by resorting to name-calling or adopting a condescending attitude), that is where we will step in. While we don't want to stifle discussions here at PD, we will also not tolerate it degenerating into a flame war.

Remember, at the end of the day, we're (mostly) all Pacers fans here, so let's keep it civil, capice? :cool:

Hey!! :cool: ...

grace
08-27-2012, 06:58 PM
In extreme circumstances, there is also the "ignore user" option.

Best invention EVER. :cool:

Naptown_Seth
08-28-2012, 01:29 PM
I would like it if BUMPS could get admin assists in the title that say "Bumped - new info post #xx"

I realize that could be a lot of work depending on the bump rate (and cutoff, ie how much passed time is a "bump"), but a lot of times old topics have good reasons to come back and yet they can get derailed by confused posters commenting on stuff months or years outdated.

I like PD because the comments don't go hide. It helps cut down on the "anonymity factor" where people just drop opinion bombs and walk away with no history to follow them and no consequences. It helps put the new opinions and comments in context.

Of course the new thread with links to the old thread kinda works, but then quoting for follow-up gets confusing.

Also, JOB is the devil and hates your family. I have stats to prove it.

Since86
08-28-2012, 01:58 PM
I would like it if BUMPS could get admin assists in the title that say "Bumped - new info post #xx"

Or people could just look at the thread start date, which is immediately below the title.

Natston
08-29-2012, 03:05 AM
Best invention EVER. :cool:

Hey!!! http://i45.tinypic.com/2637uc3.jpg

Bball
08-29-2012, 03:24 AM
Also, JOB is the devil and hates your family. I have stats to prove it.

This type of drivel is uncalled for. It's not funny any longer. The fact is, if your family can hit the 3 he loves them!

:rimshot:

McKeyFan
08-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Enhanced in a way that serves to either entertain or enrage readers, while not having an ounce of truth in it.

If you were trying to offend someone, it worked.