PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to question Walsh on player decisions again?

Outsider
11-24-2004, 07:29 AM
I didn't get to see the game last night (moved up into Chicagoland...aka South Bend, Indiana) but I did watch it via the internet as best I could. One thing jumped out at me. We have a pretty damn good "3rd string" (as Pierce put it). On most teams the bench is weak due to having to get minimum pay players to compensate for the high priced starters. I didn't see that last night.

Why is that? Because Walsh (and Bird) are great at seeing talent where it is. The majority of the players playing last night were draft picks. How many of us said "who is Freddie Jones?" or "why do we get another SF in James Jones when we need other positions filled?". I am hard pressed to find a pick that was really wasted (even with Bender....because you can't predict injuries and the talent is there).

So the next person to complain about Walsh and his player decisions is going to get tied up and dropped in the crowd at Aurburn Hills....

Ragnar
11-24-2004, 09:26 AM
I was thinking about draft picks last night. The thing that I thought of is that Isiah is a heck of a talent evaluator. He wanted Freddie, Jamaal, and James (I think James I could be wrong) they were all steals at their draft positions. Of course Harrison is no slouch for the last pick.

Too bad Isiah could not just be a talent evaluator for us instead of having been the coach.

Outlaw
11-24-2004, 10:26 AM
Actually I think James Jones was Larry's first draft pick taken in the second round because we had no 1st rounder. But I could be wrong.:confused:

sixthman
11-24-2004, 10:29 AM
Ragner makes a good point about Zeke. Apparently, he has a good eye for talent. Good picks were made in Toronto. T-Mac? And, as I remember it, he was the one who insisted we draft Freddie.

This year in New York in the second round he found Ariza who is a great looking talent. Maybe Zeke has found his level of competence as a GM and talent evaluator. He's a better player evaluator than coach, that's for sure.

tseramid
11-24-2004, 10:32 AM
If I remember correctly, James Jones was a Bird pick, but at the time Thomas was still the head coach.

Ragnar
11-24-2004, 10:49 AM
If I remember correctly, James Jones was a Bird pick, but at the time Thomas was still the head coach.

Thats why I put the qualifier in there. I was not sure about James Jones. Clearly he has shown that he can pick a diamond in the rough and that bodes very well for the long term future of the Knicks. That is unless he poisons the watters there and ends up being dumped.

tseramid
11-24-2004, 10:59 AM
Getting back to Donnie Walsh's ability to spot talent, consider Primoz Brezec as another player that he plucked out of obscurity. Of course we couldn't keep him because of a multitude of reasons, but it is truely amazing what kind of depth is built on this team every year.

Don't forget, however, that it is Rick Carlisle that is binding this team of third-stringers, giving them a game plan and philosophy to win. Without this coaching staff, we have no more talent than Atlanta, but we are competative so far.

Skaut_Ech
11-24-2004, 12:30 PM
Getting back to Donnie Walsh's ability to spot talent, consider Primoz Brezec as another player that he plucked out of obscurity. Of course we couldn't keep him because of a multitude of reasons, but it is truely amazing what kind of depth is built on this team every year.

Don't forget, however, that it is Rick Carlisle that is binding this team of third-stringers, giving them a game plan and philosophy to win. Without this coaching staff, we have no more talent than Atlanta, but we are competative so far.

BINGO!! That's my thinking. I don't think it's so much Donnie's eye for talent as it is a strong coach with a clear vision. I think a strong coach can make any group of guys a strong cohesive unit. I don't credit Walsh. I credit Carlisle. I'm not going to fall over lauding Donnie's player personell decisions, becasue I remember way to many marginal guys we picked up who looked better than they are due to strong coaching. (HellOOooOo Larry Brown.)

Doug in CO
11-24-2004, 12:34 PM
Spot talent? Sure. I am just surprised that he - a guy who always looked for character - traded for Jax - and let a character guy go. Hindsight being 20/20, we should have traded Artest.

tseramid
11-24-2004, 12:36 PM
Let me clarify my stance on our talent level... We are no more talented than Atlanta as we are currently configured (without JO, Artest, Jackson, Miller, Foster, Bender, Johnson). Donnie has done a brilliant job of not only stocking this team with top notch talent, but bringing in role players to supplement them. There is no way that the average person could have forseen our string of injuries and suspensions, but somehow we are still left with a team that complements each other very well and can mask each other's weaknesses.

My point was that all of this would be for nothing if we didn't have a coach like Rick Carlisle who coaches his team to play above their level and play the right way.