PDA

View Full Version : Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm? {New Video link Post: 207}

kielbeze
08-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Just listining to Grady and Big Joe and MG says there is a big announcement tomorrow at 2pm about a huge improvement to the Fieldhouse any guesses?

Ownagedood
08-15-2012, 12:04 PM
So excited, they never do things like this, it's gotta be good. They never announced when they changed the court so I think it's got to be bigger than that, and the name just changed so we know its not that.

New, bigger Jumbo tron?

Fan section for activites inside the fieldhouse? (Like at Great American Ballpark for Reds games)

Hicks
08-15-2012, 12:13 PM
I'm assuming this means we're replacing the jumbotron.

I've heard they've had conceptual plans for this for years. Should have full high def screens and a lot more LED displays for advertisements. I think at one point (hopefully this is still the case) the plan was to replace the clocks on each corner with LEDs that displayed a replica of the clocks in LED animated form while giving them the ability to either play with the clocks, change them, or perhaps temporarily display something else.

Sandman21
08-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Time for that Reggie statue!

ChadR11
08-15-2012, 12:30 PM
I played on the practice court about a month ago and the employee that got us access said that they were replacing the scoreboard. The description he used was that it was going to be "a scaled down version of the one in Cowboys stadium". Don't know how that would work, or look, but it's good to see it upgraded.

Ownagedood
08-15-2012, 12:31 PM
I played on the practice court about a month ago and the employee that got us access said that they were replacing the scoreboard. The description he used was that it was going to be "a scaled down version of the one in Cowboys stadium". Don't know how that would work, or look, but it's good to see it upgraded.

That would be so sweet. Hope it's pretty wide if they are comparing it to a scaled down version of Cowboys stadium!

2minutes twoa
08-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Hopefully a new sound system as well!!

Sparhawk
08-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Time for that Reggie statue!

This would be awesome.

kielbeze
08-15-2012, 12:55 PM
This is my hope too. I really want a new jumbotron. When we go to Milwaukee even though the Bradley center is a dump. I always envy those huge HD jumbotrons they have.

Hicks
08-15-2012, 12:59 PM

That sounds cool.

Hicks
08-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Hopefully a new sound system as well!!

My ears can only hope.

PacersHomer
08-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Statues for Reggie and Slick hopefully.

Hicks
08-15-2012, 01:03 PM
This is my hope too. I really want a new jumbotron. When we go to Milwaukee even though the Bradley center is a dump. I always envy those huge HD jumbotrons they have.

Having never been there, I Googled it and found this video from when they unveiled that one. That's pretty nice looking, and that's about what I was envisioning when I first heard of them planning to upgrade ours. As many LEDs as possible for total flexibility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYHPSiysEDM

vnzla81
08-15-2012, 01:04 PM
I hope they get free wifi.

BillS
08-15-2012, 01:12 PM
I think at one point (hopefully this is still the case) the plan was to replace the clocks on each corner with LEDs that displayed a replica of the clocks in LED animated form while giving them the ability to either play with the clocks, change them, or perhaps temporarily display something else.

I really don't like this idea. The clocks don't take up THAT much real estate and they definitely help keep the retro feel to them. LED animated versions would just look dumb.

But a new HD set of screens would be great. Wonder how it would affect the sightlines in the upper section if they make it bigger?

BillS
08-15-2012, 01:13 PM

But only for half- or full-season ticket holders :evillaugh

Hicks
08-15-2012, 01:23 PM
I hadn't thought about Wifi. That would be great if it actually worked well. My cell phone signal is usually garbage when I'm inside the Fieldhouse; makes it very frustrating when I want to read/post on Twitter.

Unclebuck
08-15-2012, 01:24 PM
Is it the sound system or just the building? or the combination of both.

I've noticed it is fine if you are in the lower level, but when you get into the balcony and even the club level it is horrible.

Trader Joe
08-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Definitely hoping for a new sound system. Hopefully they make the Best Locker Room larger as well. It is just too tight right now during well attended games. This is another where the crap can that is the Bradley Center is able to beat our Taj Mahal to basketball and that needs to change. The Bucks have a huge restaurant/bar/gathering area for courtside/lower level folks. The Best Locker Room is honestly unpleasant at half time just no space to move.

Tom White
08-15-2012, 01:33 PM

I hadn't thought about Wifi. That would be great if it actually worked well. My cell phone signal is usually garbage when I'm inside the Fieldhouse; makes it very frustrating when I want to read/post on Twitter.

Don't take me over-seriously on this but - This is what drives me nuts. I hate watching a game with people farting around on their phones instead of paying attention to what is happening on the court. I just don't get it at all.

#@randomfan tweet: Just went to get a beer at the concession stand. Spilled it on the way back. Going to get another one. Anybody know the score?

That makes me nuts! :laugh:

Aw well, to each their own.

Rogco
08-15-2012, 01:33 PM
I heard they are removing the seats in sections 207-210 to create a standing-room only area complete with a 70s style disco stage and stripper poles.

adamscb
08-15-2012, 01:36 PM
i hear they're adding in carnival games for the kiddos. i'm looking forward to Whack-An-O'Brien.

pacer4ever
08-15-2012, 01:37 PM
So excited, they never do things like this, it's gotta be good. They never announced when they changed the court so I think it's got to be bigger than that, and the name just changed so we know its not that.

New, bigger Jumbo tron?

Fan section for activites inside the fieldhouse? (Like at Great American Ballpark for Reds games)I hope not GABP is my least favorite ballpark for that reason. When I go to a baseball game I want to watch baseball too many stupid games and a play ground that affects the viewing experince for me im kind of old school in that way I am at Wrigley for the Astros series and this is how baseball show be. (other than the fact we suck and so do the Astros :laugh: Old Yankee stadium was my favorite ball park out of the 12 I have seen a game in Wrigley is 2 favorite.

billbradley
08-15-2012, 01:38 PM
I have heard the same thing about the jumbotron for a few months.

But what about TVs around the Fieldhouse? Outdated and some don't even work.

BLF is way too impressive to have such blurry, clunky eye sores everywhere.

Trader Joe
08-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Wrigley is awesome in the whole, is this place going to collapse around me and kill thousands of people kind of way.

pacer4ever
08-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Wrigley is awesome in the whole, is this place going to collapse around me and kill thousands of people kind of way.

Ya it's becoming a dump and needs upgrades to the bathrooms and foundation. But it's still best place to see a game no doubt GABP and other updated parks are nicer in general. But Wrigley and the old Yankee stadium just has/had a vibe that the new parks don't. Kind of like an old college basketball field house where the Jayhawks play is a great example place is amazing. I had bad seats when I went to Fenway and I went pre upgrade. I have heard since they upgraded it it's even better. Wrigley will be the same way just have to approve the proposal and they can start building I think by 2014 they will start on renovating.

HC
08-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Except for that part of the ballpark is not intended to draw the attention of people such as yourself. As a parent of 3 that attends games regularly, my children and I greatly appreciate the family atmosphere that has been created at GABP.

HC
08-15-2012, 01:57 PM

No doubt, dont' even get me started on the televison sets in the concourses.

imbtyler
08-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Don't take me over-seriously on this but - This is what drives me nuts. I hate watching a game with people farting around on their phones instead of paying attention to what is happening on the court. I just don't get it at all.

#@randomfan tweet: Just went to get a beer at the concession stand. Spilled it on the way back. Going to get another one. Anybody know the score?

When I'm at games, I only tweet during timeouts or after an incredible play/dunk/3pointer has occurred. I don't stay buried in my phone. In fact, I have a hard time tearing my eyes away from the court, unless it's to look at Area 55.

Hicks
08-15-2012, 02:53 PM

First off, I typically have my phone in my pocket when the ball is in play. Secondly, I tweet about the game. And I mostly follow NBA/basketball writers/reporters/fans and see what they have to say about the game as well. I don't care about Twitter posts like the ones you describe.

Twitter is a great medium. It's just at the mercy of the people using it and what you choose to look at to determine the quality, just like any other medium. TV can mean Real Housewives or it can mean The Wire. Same medium, wildly different results.

imbtyler
08-15-2012, 02:53 PM

Those things annoy the living **** out of me. As someone who tends to take trips to the smoking balcony, I'd like to be able to continue watching the game on something that doesn't look like it should be sitting on top of a VCR.

DangerGranger3pointranger
08-15-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm leaning towards new jumbotron, maybe the renevations are the reason Area 55 Tryouts aren't there

Hicks
08-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Yeah, those should all get replaced with 32" flatscreens pulling in the HD feed.

BRushWithDeath
08-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Yeah, those should all get replaced with 32" flatscreens pulling in the HD feed.

It's not even like that would be expensive at all. HD televisions were exorbitantly expensive when they first came out. Now, I would bet you could exchange ever screen in the building for well under $25,000. It should have happened years ago.

pacergod2
08-15-2012, 03:07 PM
In fact, I have a hard time tearing my eyes away from the court, unless it's to look at Area 55.

Or the Pacemates.

owl
08-15-2012, 03:15 PM
My ears can only hope.

I almost always take ear plugs. At least when I remember.

travmil
08-15-2012, 03:28 PM
It's not even like that would be expensive at all. HD televisions were exorbitantly expensive when they first came out. Now, I would bet you could exchance ever screen in the building for well under $25,000. It should have happened years ago.

No way. Not even close. You'd spend three times that running durable HDMI cable to the sets before you even bought them.

Trader Joe
08-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Why do they have to use HDMI cables?

billbradley
08-15-2012, 03:36 PM
First off, I typically have my phone in my pocket when the ball is in play. Secondly, I tweet about the game. And I mostly follow NBA/basketball writers/reporters/fans and see what they have to say about the game as well. I don't care about Twitter posts like the ones you describe.

Twitter is a great medium. It's just at the mercy of the people using it and what you choose to look at to determine the quality, just like any other medium. TV can mean Real Housewives or it can mean The Wire. Same medium, wildly different results.

To add, my main use for twitter while at the game is if a player goes down with an injury, you have twitter to find out from Wells if it's serious or if/when they will be back in the game.

vnzla81
08-15-2012, 03:39 PM

I also like to use twitter to make fun of Peck but is so hard when your reply takes like two minutes to download. :(

LG33
08-15-2012, 04:05 PM
My sources tell me that the ceilings at Bankers Life Fieldhouse are being raised several feet to accommodate Gerald Green's leaping ability and as insurance against another Paul George off-season growth spurt.

Since86
08-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Raise the roof!
http://www.nastyhobbit.org/forum/animated_gifs/demon-raise-roof.gif

Sandman21
08-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Or the Pacemates.

Thats a much better looking sight too. :D

Sandman21
08-15-2012, 04:11 PM

Only the best! :D

TBH, HDMI would probably be cheaper to wire than the component cables that would be the next best step quality-wise. (plus you'd still have to run sound cables with them. With HDMI, its all in 1 cable).

Trader Joe
08-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Maybe but there is somethign existing in there already even if the feed wasn't HD they could at least switch to more up to date monitors at a cost effective price.

kielbeze
08-15-2012, 04:19 PM
I agree about the clocks I would hate to see them go. I would like to see a bigger HD version of the current screen.
As far as the sightlines I don't think it should effect you at all. The BC screen is huge although the arena there is a flat layout compaired to our steeper incline. I wouldn't think it would hurt anything because I couldn't Imagine it being any bigger than the current structure. It would be all screen where now we basically have a projection screen built in a large box.

pacer4ever
08-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Except for that part of the ballpark is not intended to draw the attention of people such as yourself. As a parent of 3 that attends games regularly, my children and I greatly appreciate the family atmosphere that has been created at GABP.

I just sat on the 1st base side a few times and all the moving around over there is bothersome. I am the type who never leaves his seat after the game starts and am glued 2 the action. But I don't like all the music they play during games and what not. I'm sure I'm in the minority but I like to listen to nothing while the game is on and like an atmosphere that is all baseball and just focused on baseball. Like I said I'm probablly in the minority. I don't boycott GABP or anything in fact will prolly go up for the double header Saturday I just prefer old style baseball BOB Sheapard was prolly the reason I liked going to the old Yankee Stadium so much true legend who was a baseball purest.

huber14
08-15-2012, 06:30 PM
hopefully they're getting rid of the Legend's Club.

Kemo
08-15-2012, 07:52 PM
PER FB

An announcement of major improvements and upgrades to Bankers Life Fieldhouse will be made Thursday at 2pm.
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s480x480/195876_10151085239944381_1291346026_n.jpg

You'll be able to watch live here : -----> http://www.bankerslifefieldhouse.com/news/announcement_of_major_improvements_and_upgrades_to _bankers_life_fieldhouse/

Noodle
08-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Only the best! :D

TBH, HDMI would probably be cheaper to wire than the component cables that would be the next best step quality-wise. (plus you'd still have to run sound cables with them. With HDMI, its all in 1 cable).

I deal with custom wired homes alot. In a setting like Conseco, there wouldn't be any wires at all. Uncompressed over-air digital broadcasting would be the trick. Amazing how old technology can still be applied, eh? ;)

Eddie Gill
08-15-2012, 09:15 PM

I realize the nature of this picture is inherently hypocritical, but this is from my section during Game 3 against Miami:587

kielbeze
08-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Hope we get one of theses though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXBFT_oiROo

Heisenberg
08-16-2012, 03:01 AM
so with the coming upgrades to an already outstanding building, and Indy's second to none rep for holding sports events, think Herb's changed his mind about wanting to have an All Star Game in Indy? It's been 25+ years, if we wanted it I don't think it'd be a problem to get.

Eddie Gill
08-16-2012, 10:17 AM
so with the coming upgrades to an already outstanding building, and Indy's second to none rep for holding sports events, think Herb's changed his mind about wanting to have an All Star Game in Indy? It's been 25+ years, if we wanted it I don't think it'd be a problem to get.

I've always thought it'd be fun to have one in Indy, but from everything I've read those seem like throwing money down the rabbit hole.

BillS
08-16-2012, 10:42 AM
I use my phone a lot during games for the live statistics feed. They don't flash the overall stat line often on the overheads and even then they don't provide a lot of the stats I want to see. If there was wifi it would definitely be a better connection.

BillS
08-16-2012, 10:43 AM
I've always thought it'd be fun to have one in Indy, but from everything I've read those seem like throwing money down the rabbit hole.

One of the big concerns is that local fans can't get tickets so it does nothing to improve your attendance in the community. It's just schmoozing with the Big Boys.

HickeyS2000
08-16-2012, 12:31 PM
I use my phone a lot during games for the live statistics feed.

Hopefully they update the stats boards as well. Those are garbage.

Trader Joe
08-16-2012, 12:43 PM
What are the chances of getting a system installed that delivers beer straight to your cup in your seat every 8 minutes?

Eddie Gill
08-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Meh...screw it then. I'm not interested

Sandman21
08-16-2012, 12:46 PM
IBJ The Score @IBJTheScore

Pacers improvements to Fieldhouse will include a new scoreboard and a renovation of arena's TV studios. ow.ly/d1anJ
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

CoolHand
08-16-2012, 12:48 PM
But only for half- or full-season ticket holders :evillaugh

That WOULD be a heck of an incentive for some people... I made my feelings known to my rep last year about the lack of wi-fi/cell reception, both of which should be able to be easily fixed...

Trader Joe
08-16-2012, 12:48 PM
IBJ just couldn't wait to blow the load.

Since86
08-16-2012, 01:09 PM
What are the chances of getting a system installed that delivers beer straight to your cup in your seat every 8 minutes?

Every 8 minutes? It's impressive you remember the end of games. Check that, it's impressive you remember half time.

Unclebuck
08-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Can't believe it cost $1.6 M to install the advertising ribbons between the club level and balcony

joeyd
08-16-2012, 01:43 PM

I have read this too, but I find this hard to be the case. At least not with recent all-star games. Firstly, I don't know what city would want to host something if that event wasn't going to at least break even. Secondly, with all of the other activities that surround the game, specifically the NBA Jam Session, which is equivalent to the Super Bowl's NFL Experience (and which, by the way, set attendance records in Indy) you are attracting tons of people to the city that know darn well they will never make it to the game, but are ready to spend money at hotels and area restaurants.

I simply don't see how it could be bad for the franchise or for the city.

Trader Joe
08-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Every 8 minutes? It's impressive you remember the end of games. Check that, it's impressive you remember half time.

I was going by game time haha.

Unclebuck
08-16-2012, 02:19 PM
so did they have the press conference?

Trader Joe
08-16-2012, 02:20 PM
According to Grady, Herb wrote the check for all these improvements personally. That is damn impressive. Sorry but to me it is not even a competition between him and Irsay. Herb not only says he cares about his team and this city but he also shows it by not being afraid to open his pocket book.

ndcoltsnpacers
08-16-2012, 02:25 PM
It's a damn 50 foot wide video screen. That's free throw line to free throw line. Pretty awesome.

able
08-16-2012, 02:29 PM
That WOULD be a heck of an incentive for some people... I made my feelings known to my rep last year about the lack of wi-fi/cell reception, both of which should be able to be easily fixed...

I hope you are not serious, whilst cellular may be easy, telcos have put it upon themselves that if you have a hotel or arena, the dont put any antennae around so you will spend the money on local cells. Fat chance, company that pays for the cell can not make any money on it and the telco does, weird thought.
WiFi: whilst covering the area is not that hard (i guess I could put a network plan/design forward after a serious inspection) but you have to realise that 17k ppl on average want to access the net at the same time, because if your phone is properly setup it will pick up the wifi and use that instead of 3G or any other connection form.
But even @ 10k ppl using on avg 24Kbps (little bitty) you are still talking Gb pipes to carry that, the cost of that is astronomical and no, nobody would be happy if it was slow as molasses and you could rarely connect, think about the dns setup, the dhcp setup, wow, easy ? yeah on paper, in reality, COSTLY

billbradley
08-16-2012, 02:30 PM
<param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="omnitureAccountID=gpaper138,gntbcstglobal&pageContentCategory=SPORTS&pageContentSubcategory=SPORTS04&marketName=Indianapolis:indystar&revSciSeg=D08734_71731|D08734_71746|D08734_71747|D 08734_71748|D08734_71749|D08734_71750|D08734_71752 |D08734_71753|D08734_72087|D08734_72092|D08734_720 93|D08734_72133|D08734_72131|D08734_72414|D08734_7 2435|D08734_72410|D08734_72639|D08734_72658|D08734 _72674|D08734_72689|D08734_72685|D08734_72710|D087 34_72731|D08734_72764|D08734_72753|D08734_72785|D0 8734_72812|D08734_72814|D08734_72876|D08734_73256| D08734_73262|D08734_73287|D08734_73285|D08734_7330 9|D08734_73335|D08734_73515|D08734_73508|D08734_73 327|D08734_73288|D08734_73279|D08734_72861|D08734_ 72786|D08734_72782|D08734_72765|D08734_72711|D0873 4_72591|D08734_72582|D08734_72132|D08734_72381|D08 734_72077|D08734_72082|D08734_72020|D08734_72083|D 08734_72078|D08734_72712|D08734_72766|D08734_73289 |D08734_73281|D08734_73282|D08734_73290|D08734_732 24|D08734_72713|D08734_72537|D08734_72079|D08734_7 2021|D08734_72368|D08734_72714|D08734_72736|D08734 _72793|D08734_73286|D08734_72715|D08734_72080|D087 34_72122|D08734_72123|D08734_72081|D08734_72387|D0 8734_72010|D08734_72124|D08734_72698|D08734_72718| D08734_73363|D08734_72699|D08734_72125|D08734_7201 2|D08734_72126|D08734_72013|D08734_72391|D08734_72 014|D08734_72015|D08734_72744|D08734_72019|D08734_ 72769|D08734_72770|D08734_72771|D08734_72773|D0873 4_71628|D08734_72206|D08734_72207|D08734_71627|D08 734_71626|D08734_72209|D08734_71624|D08734_72210|D 08734_72211|D08734_71623|D08734_71622|D08734_72212 |D08734_71621|D08734_71620|D08734_72215|D08734_716 18|D08734_72217|D08734_71617|D08734_71615|D08734_7 1614|D08734_71613|D08734_71611|D08734_71609|D08734 _71606|D08734_71605|D08734_71604|D08734_71603|D087 34_71602|D08734_71600|D08734_71599|D08734_71598|D0 8734_71597|D08734_71596|D08734_71593|D08734_71592| D08734_71591|D08734_71590|D08734_71589|D08734_7158 7|D08734_71586|D08734_71585|D08734_71584|D08734_72 251|D08734_71583|D08734_71582|D08734_72253|D08734_ 71580|D08734_71579|D08734_72255|D08734_71578|D0873 4_71577|D08734_72257|D08734_71576|D08734_72259|D08 734_72260|D08734_71574|D08734_72264|D08734_71432|D 08734_72274|D08734_72277|D08734_71341|D08734_72290 |D08734_72291|D08734_71320|D08734_72299|D08734_723 05|D08734_71244|D08734_72318|D08734_72323|D08734_7 2325|D08734_72329|D08734_72333|D08734_72353|D08734 _71086|D08734_71073|D08734_71070|D08734_70994|D087 34_70852|D08734_70818|D08734_70757|D08734_70698|D0 8734_70696|D08734_70695|D08734_70693|D08734_70692| D08734_70684|D08734_70682|D08734_70681|D08734_7068 0|D08734_70675|D08734_70672|D08734_70629|D08734_70 628|D08734_70625|D08734_70620|D08734_70513|D08734_ 70113|D08734_70112|D08734_70110|D08734_70107|D0873 4_70105|D08734_70086|D08734_70082|D08734_70074|D08 734_70070|D08734_70050|D08734_70043|D08734_70040|D 08734_70029|D08734_70024|D08734_70016|D08734_70012 |D08734_70010|D08734_70008|D08734_71682|D08734_718 89|D08734_72912|D08734_72922|D08734_72928|D08734_7 2931|D08734_72972&revSciZip=&revSciAge=&revSciGender=&division=newspaper&SSTSCode=sports/basketball/nba/pacers/article.htm&videoId=1789555379001&playerID=1656678408001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAACEbKuIk~,RkxA-HnYhsHjIB343Cjd42KD5TRjQ1aP&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="omnitureAccountID=gpaper138,gntbcstglobal&pageContentCategory=SPORTS&pageContentSubcategory=SPORTS04&marketName=Indianapolis:indystar&revSciSeg=D08734_71731|D08734_71746|D08734_71747|D 08734_71748|D08734_71749|D08734_71750|D08734_71752 |D08734_71753|D08734_72087|D08734_72092|D08734_720 93|D08734_72133|D08734_72131|D08734_72414|D08734_7 2435|D08734_72410|D08734_72639|D08734_72658|D08734 _72674|D08734_72689|D08734_72685|D08734_72710|D087 34_72731|D08734_72764|D08734_72753|D08734_72785|D0 8734_72812|D08734_72814|D08734_72876|D08734_73256| D08734_73262|D08734_73287|D08734_73285|D08734_7330 9|D08734_73335|D08734_73515|D08734_73508|D08734_73 327|D08734_73288|D08734_73279|D08734_72861|D08734_ 72786|D08734_72782|D08734_72765|D08734_72711|D0873 4_72591|D08734_72582|D08734_72132|D08734_72381|D08 734_72077|D08734_72082|D08734_72020|D08734_72083|D 08734_72078|D08734_72712|D08734_72766|D08734_73289 |D08734_73281|D08734_73282|D08734_73290|D08734_732 24|D08734_72713|D08734_72537|D08734_72079|D08734_7 2021|D08734_72368|D08734_72714|D08734_72736|D08734 _72793|D08734_73286|D08734_72715|D08734_72080|D087 34_72122|D08734_72123|D08734_72081|D08734_72387|D0 8734_72010|D08734_72124|D08734_72698|D08734_72718| D08734_73363|D08734_72699|D08734_72125|D08734_7201 2|D08734_72126|D08734_72013|D08734_72391|D08734_72 014|D08734_72015|D08734_72744|D08734_72019|D08734_ 72769|D08734_72770|D08734_72771|D08734_72773|D0873 4_71628|D08734_72206|D08734_72207|D08734_71627|D08 734_71626|D08734_72209|D08734_71624|D08734_72210|D 08734_72211|D08734_71623|D08734_71622|D08734_72212 |D08734_71621|D08734_71620|D08734_72215|D08734_716 18|D08734_72217|D08734_71617|D08734_71615|D08734_7 1614|D08734_71613|D08734_71611|D08734_71609|D08734 _71606|D08734_71605|D08734_71604|D08734_71603|D087 34_71602|D08734_71600|D08734_71599|D08734_71598|D0 8734_71597|D08734_71596|D08734_71593|D08734_71592| D08734_71591|D08734_71590|D08734_71589|D08734_7158 7|D08734_71586|D08734_71585|D08734_71584|D08734_72 251|D08734_71583|D08734_71582|D08734_72253|D08734_ 71580|D08734_71579|D08734_72255|D08734_71578|D0873 4_71577|D08734_72257|D08734_71576|D08734_72259|D08 734_72260|D08734_71574|D08734_72264|D08734_71432|D 08734_72274|D08734_72277|D08734_71341|D08734_72290 |D08734_72291|D08734_71320|D08734_72299|D08734_723 05|D08734_71244|D08734_72318|D08734_72323|D08734_7 2325|D08734_72329|D08734_72333|D08734_72353|D08734 _71086|D08734_71073|D08734_71070|D08734_70994|D087 34_70852|D08734_70818|D08734_70757|D08734_70698|D0 8734_70696|D08734_70695|D08734_70693|D08734_70692| D08734_70684|D08734_70682|D08734_70681|D08734_7068 0|D08734_70675|D08734_70672|D08734_70629|D08734_70 628|D08734_70625|D08734_70620|D08734_70513|D08734_ 70113|D08734_70112|D08734_70110|D08734_70107|D0873 4_70105|D08734_70086|D08734_70082|D08734_70074|D08 734_70070|D08734_70050|D08734_70043|D08734_70040|D 08734_70029|D08734_70024|D08734_70016|D08734_70012 |D08734_70010|D08734_70008|D08734_71682|D08734_718 89|D08734_72912|D08734_72922|D08734_72928|D08734_7 2931|D08734_72972&revSciZip=&revSciAge=&revSciGender=&division=newspaper&SSTSCode=sports/basketball/nba/pacers/article.htm&videoId=1789555379001&playerID=1656678408001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAACEbKuIk~,RkxA-HnYhsHjIB343Cjd42KD5TRjQ1aP&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="480" height="270" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

rel
The most important question now is...

Will these beauties be in NBA2K13?? :P

kielbeze
About the Video System:
· Rectangular, center-hung design with two 50’ by 21’ and two 25’ by 14’ 1080p HD Mitsubishi Electric Diamond Vision™ 6mm LED video screens.
· Two 23’ by 10’ LED video displays.
· LED ribbon (installed 2011)
· Digital courtside signage (installed 2011)
· ANC’s VisionSOFT™ is the first 64-bit operating system for stadium signage, enabling the scoreboard, video display, LED ribbon, and courtside signage to be fully integrated, allowing all screens to display a single image, replay, animation or for each screen to display a unique image or set of data such as in-depth real-time statistics.

About the Sound System:
· Six main arrays of JBL speakers, each with 10 high power 3-way modules with double 15” woofers
· High power full range speakers to replace catwalk-mounted and scoreboard-mounted fill speakers
· 3D acoustic model built in industry standard EASE platform which will provide loudness of 106dB SPL average in spectator areas with uniformity of +/- 3dB Broadband

kielbeze
08-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Details: http://bit.ly/upgradeBLF RT @TheFieldhouse: 330 new HD flat screen TVs (from 32”-70”) will be installed throughout the concourses

Eddie Gill
08-16-2012, 02:33 PM
According to Grady, Herb wrote the check for all these improvements personally. That is damn impressive. Sorry but to me it is not even a competition between him and Irsay. Herb not only says he cares about his team and this city but he also shows it by not being afraid to open his pocket book.

Did Herb pick up the $200 million bill on the construction of the Fieldhouse? I honestly can't remember what the specifics were in getting that built, but I would be SHOCKED if the public didn't at least foot some of the costs. My point is its unfair to say Herb loves his team and Irsay does not because Herb opens up his pocketbook. I love Herb and Irsay, but my guess is taxpayers helped build both their stadiums. It's great that Herb is willing to pay for upgrades to what is already the crown jewel of the NBA, but lets ask Peyton Manning, Dwight Freeney, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, and Bob Sanders how tightly Irsay clenched his pocketbook.

joeyd
08-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Nice that they upgraded the sound system. Had a lot of trouble hearing Grady in some areas of club level and many areas in the balcony.

billbradley
08-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Did Herb pick up the $200 million bill on the construction of the Fieldhouse? I honestly can't remember what the specifics were in getting that built, but I would be SHOCKED if the public didn't at least foot some of the costs. My point is its unfair to say Herb loves his team and Irsay does not because Herb opens up his pocketbook. I love Herb and Irsay, but my guess is taxpayers helped build both their stadiums. It's great that Herb is willing to pay for upgrades to what is already the crown jewel of the NBA, but lets ask Peyton Manning, Dwight Freeney, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, and Bob Sanders how tightly Irsay clenched his pocketbook.

You should google the deal Irsay has for Lucas and do some research on who earns what when comparing these things.

Irsay gets whatever he wants, it's not even close.

Trader Joe
08-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Yes, the public paid for the stadium, and yes Irsay has opened his pocketbook for good players, but you have to do that to compete. Herb really didn't have to do this at all.

able
08-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Announcement of major improvements and upgrades to Bankers Life Fieldhouse

(http://www.bankerslifefieldhouse.com/news/announcement_of_major_improvements_and_upgrades_to _bankers_life_fieldhouse/)08/15/2012 http://www.pacersdigest.com/uploads/news/blf_news.jpg
BEST ARENA SCOREBOARD COMING TO BANKERS LIFE FIELDHOUSE
Pacers Sports & Entertainment (PS&E) today announced that ANC Sports, a nationally-recognized leader in venue services, has designed major upgrades to the audio and video systems of Bankers Life Fieldhouse, with the centerpiece of the project being a state-of-the-art, new center-hung scoreboard that will be nearly five times the size of its predecessor.

“We are thrilled to add a game changer when it comes to the overall in-arena experience,” stated Rick Fuson, chief operating officer of PS&E. “Rare is the opportunity to upgrade something that everyone – from our fans, to our corporate partners, to our players – will benefit from. We are excited to see this new system in action.” Installation is scheduled for completion in time for the 2012-13 Indiana Pacers season.

The new scoreboard will feature twin 1080p high definition (HD) video screens, each measuring 50 feet long – extending nearly foul line to foul line – by 21 feet high. In addition to the HD screens running the length of the court, the innovative rectangular scoreboard design will be capped by a 25’ by 14’ full 1080p HD video screen facing each baseline. The end result of the design is a greatly improved visual experience from nearly every seat in the building.

By comparison, the four 16’ by 9’ standard definition video screens on the original scoreboard measured 576 total sq. feet, whereas the new scoreboard video display is nearly 5x larger, measuring in at 2,800 total sq.ft. In addition to the substantial increase in screen size, the new screens will dramatically improve image quality. The new 1080p HD screens will provide crystal-clear images that rival the finest in-home picture quality sports fans have been accustomed to viewing.

To complement the massive new scoreboard, a completely new audio system will be installed to replace the existing system. The new system will be capable of delivering a wide range of high quality sound to support the new video screens, improve life safety announcements by improving intelligibility throughout the arena, and further enhance the overall fan experience for all entertainment events at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

“Since its opening in 1999, Bankers Life Fieldhouse has been considered one of the finest buildings in the country for basketball and other live events,” said Jerry Cifarelli, president and chief executive officer of ANC Sports. “The installation of the new audio and video systems will enhance the events and also preserve the incredible views of Bankers Life Fieldhouse’s arena floor, thereby creating one of the most unique live event experiences in the world.“

“Since it is impossible for us to play a game in each fan’s home, we thought we would bring the total HD home experience to Bankers Life Fieldhouse,” said Fuson. “The new scoreboard and audio system will allow fans to enjoy picture clarity and sound normally reserved for a home theater setting. Combined with the action and excitement that can only be found at a live event, fans will experience the most dynamic presentations for basketball and other live events.”

Weighing in at approximately 45,000 pounds, the state-of-the-art scoreboard will be among the largest arena video screens in the United States and will replace the traditional square design installed by the Capital Improvement Board (CIB) during construction of Bankers Life Fieldhouse in 1999. This upgrade will also include safety improvements to the hoists and support system.

Completing the interior portion of the Bankers Life Fieldhouse upgrade will be the installation of two LED video displays located in each balcony endzone. The displays will measure 23’ by 10’ and will provide fans with stats, replays, and other game related information.

Driven by ANC Sports’ VisionSOFT operating system, all of the new audio and video upgrades will seamlessly integrate with the existing LED ribbon and digital courtside signage systems creating unlimited opportunities to enhance the fan experience and provide additional value for current and future corporate partners. “We anticipate a very positive impact on our business, especially related to increasing corporate partnerships and ticket buying fans,” said Fuson.

Fans venturing out of the seating bowl during events will be able to follow action without missing a beat. To supplement the audio and video upgrades in the interior, 330 new HD flat screen TVs (ranging in size from 32” to 70”) will be installed throughout the concourses on all levels of the Fieldhouse creating a fully integrated audio and video experience.

About the Video System:
·Rectangular, center-hung design with two 50’ by 21’ and two 25’ by 14’ 1080p HD Mitsubishi Electric Diamond Vision™ 6mm LED video screens.
·Two 23’ by 10’ LED video displays.
·LED ribbon (installed 2011)
·Digital courtside signage (installed 2011)
·ANC’s VisionSOFT™ is the first 64-bit operating system for stadium signage, enabling the scoreboard, video display, LED ribbon, and courtside signage to be fully integrated, allowing all screens to display a single image, replay, animation or for each screen to display a unique image or set of data such as in-depth real-time statistics.

About the Sound System:
·Six main arrays of JBL speakers, each with 10 high power 3-way modules with double 15” woofers

·High power full range speakers to replace catwalk-mounted and scoreboard-mounted fill speakers

·3D acoustic model built in industry standard EASE platform which will provide loudness of 106dB SPL average in spectator areas with uniformity of +/- 3dB Broadband

About Bankers Life Fieldhouse:
Bankers Life Fieldhouse is owned by the Capital Improvement Board (CIB) and operated by Pacers Sports & Entertainment. Since the opening almost 13 years ago,Bankers Life Fieldhouse has repeatedly earned the reputation of being a world-class facility, not an easy task considering the number of new facilities that have come online since 1999.

About ANC Sports:
ANC Sports Enterprises, LLC, is the industry leader in team and venue services, providing integrated signage, design, and marketing solutions for sports and commercial facilities. ANC Sports and its divisions: ANC Technologies, ANC Design, and ANC Marketing, offer Light Emitting Diode (LED), rotational and fixed visual displays; advanced media control systems; signage operation and maintenance; advertising sales and marketing consultation; graphic design; and printing production. ANC Sports provides signage solutions for 200 plus venues/stadiums in North America. For more information on ANC Sports, please visit its web site at www.ancsports.com (https://mail.pacers.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=ac397df3f79442d18a9242a04f081db3&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.ancsports.com).

clownskull
08-16-2012, 02:39 PM
a new tv?
eh, crap!
i was hoping they'd put in a retractable roof. we use the one at lucas field what, about once every couple of years?

adamscb
08-16-2012, 02:40 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20120816/SPORTS04/120816029/Pacers-announce-new-scoreboard-Bankers-Life-Fieldhouse?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|IndyStar.com

The city's Capital Improvement Board owns the fieldhouse and leases it to the Pacers for $1 a year.

lol :D

Unclebuck
08-16-2012, 02:40 PM

The Simons paid a good portion of the costs to build the fieldhouse. How much I can't remember.

Looked it up. Simons paid $23M of the 181M it took to build the fieldhouse.
http://www.ibj.com/simon-familys-interests-helped-indianapolis-thrive-but-taxpayers-paid-the-price/PARAMS/article/2315

Hicks
08-16-2012, 02:41 PM
I'm impressed!

They also said 330 new HDTVs (sizes ranging from 32" to 70") throughout the Fieldhouse as well.

Eddie Gill
08-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Understood.

I also understand the revenue the Colts as a franchise and the NFL as a league have generated over the last decade. If its hosting another Superbowl Irsay wants, I would argue it does more for the city than anything Herb can do.

To be fair, I used the same line of logic when opposing significant public funding of Lucas Oil Stadium. Why build on the backs of taxpayers when you're already the biggest, most profitable show in town?

That said, I won't cry for Herb Simon that the Pacers and the NBA aren't as profitable as football. I appreciate everything he does for us and fear the day he leaves, but its just an apples and oranges debate to me.

Trader Joe
08-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Understood.

I also understand the revenue the Colts as a franchise and the NFL as a league have generated over the last decade. If its hosting another Superbowl Irsay wants, I would argue it does more for the city than anything Herb can do.

To be fair, I used the same line of logic when opposing significant public funding of Lucas Oil Stadium. Why build on the backs of taxpayers when you're already the biggest, most profitable show in town?

That said, I won't cry for Herb Simon that the Pacers and the NBA aren't as profitable as football. I appreciate everything he does for us and fear the day he leaves, but its just an apples and oranges debate to me.

I'm not crying for him. I'm just saying I appreciate this a lot. No one was clamoring for upgrades to our arena, in a day and age when Seattle lost their basketball team because they couldn't get a new arena, it is really humbling to have an owner that would invest so much in a facility that is already widely regarded as perhaps the best in the world. That means a lot to me, I view this as a gift to the city and the fans. And when it comes during a summer when you have Irsay threatening (even if it was an empty threat) to black out the games of the Colts if they are not sold out, it is very refreshing to see an owner be proactive like this. I mean I just go back to Seattle and their fans they couldn't even get a new stadium when their's was in the dumps, here we have one of the nicest facilities in the world and our owner is still putting money into it. I can appreciate that because that is how I run my business as well and it is reflected in Simon's malls as well.

Unclebuck
08-16-2012, 02:47 PM
The Simons paid $23M of the $181 million dollar cost to build the fieldhouse back in the late 90's. City paid $158

http://www.ibj.com/simon-familys-interests-helped-indianapolis-thrive-but-taxpayers-paid-the-price/PARAMS/article/2315

billbradley
08-16-2012, 02:50 PM
I'm not crying for him. I'm just saying I appreciate this a lot. No one was clamoring for upgrades to our arena, in a day and age when Seattle lost their basketball team because they couldn't get a new arena, it is really humbling to have an owner that would invest so much in a facility that is already widely regarded as perhaps the best in the world. That means a lot to me, I view this as a gift to the city and the fans. And when it comes during a summer when you have Irsay threatening (even if it was an empty threat) to black out the games of the Colts if they are not sold out, it is very refreshing to see an owner be proactive like this. I mean I just go back to Seattle and their fans they couldn't even get a new stadium when their's was in the dumps, here we have one of the nicest facilities in the world and our owner is still putting money into it. I can appreciate that because that is how I run my business as well and it is reflected in Simon's malls as well.

Very well put and exactly how I feel. Simon didn't have to do this and I couldn't be more excited to see the new look and team now.

Great stuff.

Trader Joe
08-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Definitely feeling some gold swagger today because of this. Probably the best news of the offseason for me as you can tell already from this thread. Just can't imagine how cool I think it is to see such an already great facility upgraded even more.

Heisenberg
08-16-2012, 02:53 PM
That's a big *** TV, sweet.

duke dynamite
08-16-2012, 02:59 PM
In response to the cellular woes:

I've been telling people it's like trying to suck cement through a straw. Wireless congestion is the issue. It's true in every facility.

PacersHomer
08-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Love all the upgrades. Amazing facility just got even better.

Eddie Gill
08-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Yes, the public paid for the stadium, and yes Irsay has opened his pocketbook for good players, but you have to do that to compete. Herb really didn't have to do this at all.

But if I spend $400 on rent and my neighbor spends $400 on a new TV, a stranger couldn't make judgements about which is a better financial decision with the basis of the argument being "Well, your neighbor didn't HAVE to buy a TV and did so anyway. For his willingness to keep his apartment well-furnished, he should be commended. You merely did what you had to do."

As far as the Seattle comparison, yes, we are extremely fortunate to have owners committed to buying that new TV. Seattle no longer has a team because they couldn't get a new arena. But the Fieldhouse is already the best arena in the league without the new scoreboard. If the Pacers are going to be at risk of leaving under new ownership it would be due to lack of fan support - which in my opinion is more directly correlated to on the court success than a new jumbotron.

I realize this is going to come off as unappreciative, and I'm really not. I can't wait until the gates open up next season and I can go gawk at the new improvements with everyone else. I just don't think citing these improvements is evidence of the Simons being good owners who WANT to spend as opposed to Irsay who reluctantly spends on talent exclusively.

Trader Joe
08-16-2012, 03:09 PM
An apartment is a private residence, this stadium will be used and enjoyed by everyone. Not even comparable.

I'm just saying between the two owners, I have no doubt had we not given up the ghost for Lucas Oil Irsay would have shipped the Colts out. And then by the same token, Herb's already got this amazing stadium and he's like let me dump some more dough into it, I just don't have the fear that Simon would ever move the P's. Whereas, I do think Irsay would move the Colts if he thought he could improve his situation. I'm not asking people to share my opinion, just stating the way I see it.

Also, it helps that Simon actually has another form of income besides his sports franchise.

Roaming Gnome
08-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Most impressive... I was just hoping to get what either Dallas or OKC had for a scoreboard. Didn't expect Herb to go "Jerry Jones" on us.

Eddie Gill
08-16-2012, 03:12 PM
The Simons paid a good portion of the costs to build the fieldhouse. How much I can't remember.

Looked it up. Simons paid $23M of the 181M it took to build the fieldhouse.

The Simons' contributions amounted to 12.7% of the total costs.

According to wiki, Irsay paid $100 million of the $720 million which comes out to 13.8% of the total cost.

Whether or not Irsay had an obligation to pay more is subject to debate. But from a pure numbers standpoint, if 12% is considered a "good portion" of the costs for the Simons, it only seems fair to me to consider Irsay's 13% to be an equally "good portion".

Coupe
08-16-2012, 03:14 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/526996_10151087378189381_528648821_n.jpg

PR07
08-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Sounds pretty awesome, hopefully it doesn't lose the retro feel though.

Trader Joe
08-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Sounds pretty awesome, hopefully it doesn't lose the retro feel though.

I think the actual court area can get more modern and the staidum itself can still retain the retro feel, having the exposed concrete and stuff like that keeps it always feeling a little retro.

ilive4sports
08-16-2012, 03:18 PM
That scoreboard is something else! I really need to get to BLF to see a game.

billbradley
08-16-2012, 03:22 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/526996_10151087378189381_528648821_n.jpg

I like the score, Bulls 102 Pacers 120 to start the 4th!

gummy
08-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Wow! That is a crazy big screen - free throw line to free throw line? Wow! Do any other NBA arenas have one like that?

That by itself is a major upgrade, but the new screens throughout the Fieldhouse and an upgraded sound system? Sweeeeeet! I'm glad I finally got to catch a game there while I was in town last month (Fever vs. Sparks) so I can compare when I come back. I did notice those crappy little screens.

Roaming Gnome
08-16-2012, 03:26 PM
That scoreboard is something else! I really need to get to BLF to see a game.
Yeah, I'm thinking that is the motivation behind this. Another reason to get folks out of their "man caves" and down to the Fieldhouse! I'm sure it isn't a bad way to draw more coin from their corporate sponsors who wouldn't want to see their ads and logos on that mammoth screen!

able
08-16-2012, 03:28 PM
quite sure Simons paid about 87 mio on the build, some of that was not initial payment but loans they repaid

Eddie Gill
08-16-2012, 03:31 PM
quite sure Simons paid about 87 mio on the build, some of that was not initial payment but loans they repaid

Thanks. I'm only going off the numbers being reported here. $87 million would be QUITE substantial.

Trader Joe
08-16-2012, 03:33 PM
I honestly can't find much of anything that says one way or the other for certainty.

Ownagedood
08-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Don't forget another nice upgrade they made that will be overlooked, the sides of the fieldhouse, where the oldschool scoreboards were for stats, there is now going to be a nice new video screen on each side :)

Overall its going to be amazing. This is as big as when Dallas implemented their huge screen when they built their new stadium. It's a game changer.

Trader Joe
08-16-2012, 03:35 PM
From the Marquette National Sports Law Institute
https://law.marquette.edu/assets/sports-law/pdf/sports-facility-reports/v12-nba-2011.pdf

Team: Indiana Pacers
Principal Owner: Melvin and Herbert Simon
Year Established: Joined the NBA from the American Basketball Association in 1976
Most Recent Purchase Price ($/Mil): $13 (1983)
Current Value ($/Mil): $269
Percent Change From Last Year: -4%
Arena: Conseco Fieldhouse
Date Built: 1999
Facility Cost ($/Mil): $183
Percentage of Arena Publicly Financed: 43%
© Copyright 2011, National Sports Law Institute of Marquette University Law School Page 11
Facility Financing: Financing for the facility is a public/private partnership. Public contributions totaled $79 million, which included $50 million from a professional sports developmental tax district around the new facility, $4.7 million in infrastructure, $9.3 million from Capital Improvement Board cash reserves and $7 million from the Circle Centre Mall revenues. The Pacers contributed $57 million, while other private sources paid for the rest.

ilive4sports
08-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking that is the motivation behind this. Another reason to get folks out of their "man caves" and down to the Fieldhouse! I'm sure it isn't a bad way to draw more coin from their corporate sponsors who wouldn't want to see their ads and logos on that mammoth screen!
Yeah its definitely a great way to draw in fans. People will want to see the screen. Sponsors will looks great on that mammoth too. How much are plane tickets from Sacramento to Indiana? Looks like I better start saving up.

Trader Joe
08-16-2012, 04:04 PM
From the Marquette National Sports Law Institute
https://law.marquette.edu/assets/sports-law/pdf/sports-facility-reports/v12-nba-2011.pdf

Team: Indiana Pacers
Principal Owner: Melvin and Herbert Simon
Year Established: Joined the NBA from the American Basketball Association in 1976
Most Recent Purchase Price ($/Mil): $13 (1983)
Current Value ($/Mil): $269
Percent Change From Last Year: -4%
Arena: Conseco Fieldhouse
Date Built: 1999
Facility Cost ($/Mil): $183
Percentage of Arena Publicly Financed: 43%
© Copyright 2011, National Sports Law Institute of Marquette University Law School Page 11
Facility Financing: Financing for the facility is a public/private partnership. Public contributions totaled $79 million, which included $50 million from a professional sports developmental tax district around the new facility, $4.7 million in infrastructure, $9.3 million from Capital Improvement Board cash reserves and $7 million from the Circle Centre Mall revenues. The Pacers contributed $57 million, while other private sources paid for the rest.

So what we know from this is 136 million of the stadium was accounted for publicly + from the Pacers.

If the Simons contributed at least 23 million of the "other private sources paid for the rest" using personal finances or money from Simon Malls. Then that would put their contribution at $80million (private, personal Simon money +Pacers Simon money), but I think it's safe to assume that they may have accounted for even more than that since about $47 million is unaccounted for here. Either way I think it's safe to say they paid significantly more proportionately than what Irsay did for Lucas Oil.

Miller_time04
08-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Awesome. Just awesome. Cant wait to watch a game! Cmon season start already!

TheDon
08-16-2012, 04:35 PM
There already was not a bad seat in my opinion in that entire building, but with that beast hovering over the court you can literally sit anywhere and feel like you're right down at courtside.

imawhat
08-16-2012, 04:54 PM
More than anything, Simon paying $16M for a scoreboard in BLF eases any temporary fears I've had about professional basketball staying in Indianapolis. That's not the kind of investment one makes for a team that could leave soon. It's fantastic!

HC
08-16-2012, 05:20 PM
More than anything, Simon paying $16M for a scoreboard in BLF eases any temporary fears I've had about professional basketball staying in Indianapolis. That's not the kind of investment one makes for a team that could leave soon. It's fantastic!

Perhaps, but BLF is a multi-purpose facility.

HC
08-16-2012, 05:24 PM
I just sat on the 1st base side a few times and all the moving around over there is bothersome. I am the type who never leaves his seat after the game starts and am glued 2 the action. But I don't like all the music they play during games and what not. I'm sure I'm in the minority but I like to listen to nothing while the game is on and like an atmosphere that is all baseball and just focused on baseball. Like I said I'm probablly in the minority. I don't boycott GABP or anything in fact will prolly go up for the double header Saturday I just prefer old style baseball BOB Sheapard was prolly the reason I liked going to the old Yankee Stadium so much true legend who was a baseball purest.

Can't argue about the noise, but that goes on at just about every ballpark I would imagine. The whole movement thing is understandable, but it is a family atmosphere. Most kids can hardly sit for 2 to 3 hours of baseball. If you sat on the 1st base side, then all of the movement as far as activities are concerned should've been behind you

PR07
08-16-2012, 05:42 PM
I think the actual court area can get more modern and the staidum itself can still retain the retro feel, having the exposed concrete and stuff like that keeps it always feeling a little retro.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I always kind of liked the retro clock and neon lighting on the old scoreboard, the rest of it not as much.

http://www.commercialintegrator.com/images/photos/Indiana_Pacers,_Conseco_Fieldhouse.JPG

2minutes twoa
08-16-2012, 05:49 PM

Lol...nice catch! I like the 120 points in three quarters, but where's the defense?!! :)

xBulletproof
08-16-2012, 06:08 PM

Apparently they're starting 4th quarters with jump balls too.

graphic-er
08-16-2012, 06:12 PM
I love it! So happy right now. I feel like they actually listened to my feedback on the multiple surveys I've filled out for them. I always said that we needed a way display the game better for the fans in the seats. Happy that well have a live video feed on the big screen, stats, replays. Freaking awesome. Guess thats why we didn't go after Eric Gordon.....

Eddie Gill
08-16-2012, 07:21 PM

As cool as the scoreboard is, the coolest part of that picture remains the Gold Swagger shirts.

RLeWorm
08-16-2012, 07:22 PM
i love it! Just makes the best stadium even better. I've read that some ppl like the old shot clock..um are u crazy?

imawhat
08-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Perhaps, but BLF is a multi-purpose facility.

Simon didn't pay $16M so the Fever and Justin Bieber could use it.

Eddie Gill
08-16-2012, 07:37 PM
i love it! Just makes the best stadium even better. I've read that some ppl like the old shot clock..um are u crazy?

The only thing I'll miss will be the old manual scoreboards/around the league stuff in the upper deck on both baselines. Those were pretty cool.

Sollozzo
08-16-2012, 07:41 PM

Yeah, he paid for it out of his pocket book which was made fatter two summers ago when the city gave him the 33.5 million dollar handout. We as taxpayers are the ones who paid for this, not Simon. The check may have his name on it, but the funds came from us.

Simon and Irsay are one in the same. They both take advantage of any taxpayer subsidy that Indy is willing to handout to them. They are fortunate to be owners in Indy as there is no limit to how much Indy will shell out when it comes to sports and propping up it's downtown. Downtown Indy is one massive taxpayer subsidy.

According to the link UB posted, the Simons paid a whopping 23 million of the 181 million total that it cost to build Conseco. They also got the 33.5 million dollar handout two years ago. Granted, that is a larger percentage than the 50 million that Irsay put up for a 750 million dollar stadium, but it's still pretty small. Irsay got one of the best deals in sports history, but the NFL and the Colts are much more important to Indy than the Pacers and Conseco. Lucas at least brings Super Bowls and Final Fours.

http://www.ibj.com/fieldhouse-getting--16-million-scoreboard--sound-system/PARAMS/article/36145

According to the above link, only 6 million has been invested in upgrading Conseco since the building opened. So I guess the 16 million dollar scoreboard brings it up to 22 million.

Two summers ago, we were led to believe that the team was bleeding serious money. Was demanding that 33.5 million dollars merely a way to get the taxpayers to fund the upgrades to the stadium which bring in more revenue for the team with advertisements?

I don't see how you can say that Simon cares more about Indy than Irsay. Yeah Irsay got a gravy deal, but so has Simon. What has Irsay done to show that he doesn't care about the fans or community? Irsay is always willing to put as much money into the team as possible. Our salaries over the past decade have been insane. Irsay also gives a lot to charity.

CoolHand
08-16-2012, 07:42 PM
I hope you are not serious, whilst cellular may be easy, telcos have put it upon themselves that if you have a hotel or arena, the dont put any antennae around so you will spend the money on local cells. Fat chance, company that pays for the cell can not make any money on it and the telco does, weird thought.
WiFi: whilst covering the area is not that hard (i guess I could put a network plan/design forward after a serious inspection) but you have to realise that 17k ppl on average want to access the net at the same time, because if your phone is properly setup it will pick up the wifi and use that instead of 3G or any other connection form.
But even @ 10k ppl using on avg 24Kbps (little bitty) you are still talking Gb pipes to carry that, the cost of that is astronomical and no, nobody would be happy if it was slow as molasses and you could rarely connect, think about the dns setup, the dhcp setup, wow, easy ? yeah on paper, in reality, COSTLY

I think even 10k people at one time is a large overestimation. That would be over half the people there using it at once. There may be spikes of that many people (jumping on twitter after some huge play or something), but on average, I would say it would be much lower..
I didn't say it could be fixed cheaply, but, yes, easily (for a large organization). There is plenty of bandwidth in downtown Indy within blocks of BLF. I imagine $10,000/month or so would cover the additional bandwidth, which really shouldn't be all that much for the Pacers organization, especially with the additional customer satisfaction (and therefore additional revenue) that it could bring. I wasn't the only comment on it here wanting it to be better, so there obviously IS a demand...

Brad8888
08-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Wowza yowza!!!!! Even the balcony will have a spectacular experience now!

If they actually could somehow integrate the live audio feed from the radio or TV broadcasts, the experience would be absolutely perfect in just about every conceivable way.

Regardless, Simon will be richly rewarded for this upgrade, and I would expect virtually every NBA arena will upgrade to this in the very near future.

Well done good sirs, well done indeed!!!!!!! :dance:

Heisenberg
08-16-2012, 07:56 PM

he certainly did the Fever since he owns the team

J7F
08-16-2012, 08:02 PM
WOW! Just WOW!

If I had stayed on a different career path it would now be my job to run those displays... ANC Sports is who I worked for when I made the banners on the scorers tables at Conseco rotate through the machines... So soooo low tech back then compared to what they utilize today! Best job ever!

billbradley
08-16-2012, 08:06 PM
I don't see how you can say that Simon cares more about Indy than Irsay. Yeah Irsay got a gravy deal, but so has Simon. What has Irsay done to show that he doesn't care about the fans or community? Irsay is always willing to put as much money into the team as possible. Our salaries over the past decade have been insane. Irsay also gives a lot to charity.

I thought we established that Simon actually paid back some of the loans for BLF, 80 million of 130. So that's about 50 million dollars from taxpayers, plus 30 from CIB deal. I'm no fan of sports teams owners as you know from other threads maybe, but 80 million dollars from taxpayers is a great deal when BLF has been open for over a decade.

Lucas cost taxpayers 650 million plus 20 million a year, so in a decade Lucas has cost taxpayers a billion dollars. That's a huge difference.

Then when you add the fact the Irsay is making tens of millions off NCAA tourneys and concerts, it doesn't compare.

HC
08-16-2012, 09:22 PM

Lets not exaggerate or anything, because clearly those are the only acts that use BLF. And obviously these new upgrades aren't going to attract any additional performers.

08-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Lets not exaggerate or anything, because clearly those are the only acts that use BLF. And obviously these new upgrades aren't going to attract any additional performers.

He seizing the opportunity of a down year for the Colts in order to attract fans to the Fieldhouse. In addition, this reclaims the Fieldhouse's right to the claim: best professional stadium.

08-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Not to mention, the sound sucked in the Fieldhouse: "Pacer fans... garble...garble...garble... Kroger."

billbradley
08-17-2012, 09:03 AM
Could of gone without the Skrillex, but got me hyped for the season. Can't wait.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EZiJ8AJdwQM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Bigger stars, bigger plays, bigger memories on the best scoreboard in the NBA."

Roaming Gnome
08-17-2012, 09:24 AM
http://www.commercialintegrator.com/photos/best_worst_nba_scoreboards
Here is a photo gallery of the other scoreboards in the NBA with brief descriptions...

Outside of what they do with Madison Sq. Garden, I think it is safe to say that we won't see a better scoreboard in an arena for a long time. Looks like we waited until most of the league finished upgrading or replacing their scoreboards so we could put up something better!

Kegboy
08-17-2012, 09:32 AM
I have a question. How does this development impact the Chicken Little Las Vegas Pacers argument?

rel
08-17-2012, 09:47 AM
http://www.commercialintegrator.com/photos/best_worst_nba_scoreboards
Here is a photo gallery of the other scoreboards in the NBA with brief descriptions...

Outside of what they do with Madison Sq. Garden, I think it is safe to say that we won't see a better scoreboard in an arena for a long time. Looks like we waited until most of the league finished upgrading or replacing their scoreboards so we could put up something better!

wow...the rest of the league doesn't even stand a chance. Even the 'best' scoreboards according to that look so puny now...

uggghh, seriously can't wait to see this in action

vnzla81
08-17-2012, 09:50 AM
I have a question. How does this development impact the Chicken Little Las Vegas Pacers argument?

I was thinking the same thing, what are they going to do with that screen if they move to Las vegas? :stirthepo

And also, aren't "small market teams" supposed to have "small market screens"? .......... ;)

billbradley
08-17-2012, 10:08 AM

I was thinking the same thing, what are they going to do with that screen if they move to Las vegas? :stirthepo

Star yesterday...

The Indiana Pacers’ $16 million investment in a sound system and gargantuan new scoreboards at Bankers Life Fieldhouse could signal the team’s commitment to Indianapolis for the long haul.

Morris says Simon’s eye is on the teams’ overall lease, which expires in 2019. The owner is committed to keeping the teams in Indianapolis well beyond then.

“For eternity,” Morris said during the news conference.

“Herb lives and dies with the Pacers, and he wouldn’t want it anywhere else,” Morris said later.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120816/SPORTS04/120816029/Source-Pacers-announce-new-scoreboard-TV-studio-renovation-?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|IndyStar.com

And also, aren't "small market teams" supposed to have "small market screens"? .......... ;)

I don't get it?

graphic-er
08-17-2012, 10:11 AM

Well behing that Simon owns it, I guess he can take the screen with him right?

Trader Joe
08-17-2012, 10:37 AM
When you consider that the Thunder have one of the most advanced screens in the NBA and there's cost $3.9 million dollars, and this screen is costing $16 million that really puts it in perspective.

Sollozzo
08-17-2012, 10:39 AM
It looks like a copycat of the massive scoreboard at Cowboys Stadium. I hope it doesn't look too big.

Trader Joe
08-17-2012, 10:45 AM
Also this quote is from that article about the OLD scoreboard Indiana Pacers, Conseco Fieldhouse
Pacers fans get to view the game like few others can. Ballparks.com says the stadium is one of two equipped with state-of-the-art 4 digital Mitsubishi screen scoreboard. Conseco Fieldhouse also has 82 stereo amplifiers in the seating area.

Hicks
08-17-2012, 02:33 PM
When you consider that the Thunder have one of the most advanced screens in the NBA and there's cost $3.9 million dollars, and this screen is costing $16 million that really puts it in perspective.

I thought it was 16.x million in total for the screen, sound, and new TVs?

Trader Joe
08-17-2012, 02:51 PM
I thought it was 16.x million in total for the screen, sound, and new TVs?

Good ? I don't know, has it been broken out anywhere?

gummy
08-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Good ? I don't know, has it been broken out anywhere?

I have not seen it broken down specifically. I just know that almost every source I've read (about a dozens) words it something like "$16 million dollar upgrades to audio and visual systems." So I assumed that is the total cost for the new scoreboard, the new sound system and all the other screen upgrades.

For example: "The Indiana Pacers will open the National Basketball Association regular season at Bankers Life Fieldhouse with a new $16 million audio and video system, team officials announced Thursday afternoon."

http://www.ibj.com/fieldhouse-getting--16-million-scoreboard--sound-system/PARAMS/article/36145

able
08-17-2012, 04:00 PM
I think even 10k people at one time is a large overestimation. That would be over half the people there using it at once. There may be spikes of that many people (jumping on twitter after some huge play or something), but on average, I would say it would be much lower..
I didn't say it could be fixed cheaply, but, yes, easily (for a large organization). There is plenty of bandwidth in downtown Indy within blocks of BLF. I imagine $10,000/month or so would cover the additional bandwidth, which really shouldn't be all that much for the Pacers organization, especially with the additional customer satisfaction (and therefore additional revenue) that it could bring. I wasn't the only comment on it here wanting it to be better, so there obviously IS a demand...

10k a month is a lot of money to begin with but wont buy you that kind of connections, at least not in this world yet.
only on peak ussage, lol, you seem to forget that every smart phone entering the wifi will seek contact, register and from then on runs his background apps through the wifi, 10k users was a low estimate.

I would estimate the cost for the pipe alone to be around 100k a month and that is without the infrastructure, unless you think you can run those kind of pipes on a dsl modem.

it would have to be brought in on fibre, (dark preferably) with at least one failover line. meaning that investment in hw alone would be close to a million add to that to 1 million plus a year for the pipe to exist, to do exactly what ? allow you to twitter during a game?? I think you lost me there.

So player X makes to much, we should throw the money towards making sure the fans can twitter during the game, didn;t you come there to watch the game? what on earth makes you think anyone is THAT interested what you have to say DURING the game?

sorry but it is frivolous to say the least

Trader Joe
08-17-2012, 04:17 PM
I have not seen it broken down specifically. I just know that almost every source I've read (about a dozens) words it something like "$16 million dollar upgrades to audio and visual systems." So I assumed that is the total cost for the new scoreboard, the new sound system and all the other screen upgrades.

For example: "The Indiana Pacers will open the National Basketball Association regular season at Bankers Life Fieldhouse with a new $16 million audio and video system, team officials announced Thursday afternoon."

Guess someone just needs to call the company making it and try to order one themselves ;)

5_7_Clash
08-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Can you imagine if that thing dropped?!?!

(Sorry. Someone had to say it. :D)

vnzla81
08-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Can you imagine if that thing dropped?!?!

(Sorry. Someone had to say it. :D)

That could help start the rebuilding process......... For both teams ;)

Kegboy
08-18-2012, 08:23 AM
So the Star says the sound system is already done and debuted during the Fever game Thursday. Can anyone on here give a report?

Hicks
08-18-2012, 10:13 AM
So the Star says the sound system is already done and debuted during the Fever game Thursday. Can anyone on here give a report?

Apparently the new sound system is already in, but it's incomplete. There will be more speakers once the scoreboard goes in. But supposedly it's already noticeably better. But I'd like to hear from more people, too.

Eddie Gill
08-18-2012, 04:44 PM

If a sound system debuts during a WNBA game does it still make a sound?

gummy
08-18-2012, 07:11 PM

I can't give you a live report, but I did watch the game on Live Access and I could hear a difference. That was before I read that part of it was to be completed by game time, so it was probably more than confirmation bias. Seemed as if I could hear words coming over the PA system more clearly than before the Olympic break - usually it just sounds like a blaring jumble through the feed. It was actually a little distracting in terms of focusing on listening to Denari call the game. So if I can hear a difference that way, I'd guess it would be pretty noticeable live (and completed).

BillS
08-19-2012, 05:37 PM
It was noticeably louder at the start of the game. Clearer I don't know - where I sit it has been pretty easy to hear well all along.

CoolHand
08-20-2012, 12:12 PM
10k a month is a lot of money to begin with but wont buy you that kind of connections, at least not in this world yet.
only on peak ussage, lol, you seem to forget that every smart phone entering the wifi will seek contact, register and from then on runs his background apps through the wifi, 10k users was a low estimate.

I would estimate the cost for the pipe alone to be around 100k a month and that is without the infrastructure, unless you think you can run those kind of pipes on a dsl modem.

it would have to be brought in on fibre, (dark preferably) with at least one failover line. meaning that investment in hw alone would be close to a million add to that to 1 million plus a year for the pipe to exist, to do exactly what ? allow you to twitter during a game?? I think you lost me there.

So player X makes to much, we should throw the money towards making sure the fans can twitter during the game, didn;t you come there to watch the game? what on earth makes you think anyone is THAT interested what you have to say DURING the game?

sorry but it is frivolous to say the least

Sorry, but you are offbase with your cost. My company has over 10,000 users doing real work fed from dark fiber in downtown indy and we're spending less than 5k/month. So maybe not in "your world" (England?), but in downtown Indy, yes, it is possible. The initial outlay may be a few hundred thousand (if they don't already have good connection there to run all the offices that are in the building), but the monthly cost is really peanuts when your talking that kind of budget. Personally I'd rather they'd have spent some of the $30 million they just spent on that upgrade instead of some of the other things that they did spend it on. (or just tacked on a bit more for it)

And it's largely irrelevant what I want to do with it during the game, the fact is that I'm their customer, and if it would make me happy, then it would be good customer service to provide that service for me (along with the many others that feel the same - obviously not for just one person), if it can be done at a reasonable cost (and I know it could be whatever you say). However, for your information, I would not be tweeting, but I would like to be able to read tweets of some sports people that I follow (during breaks in the action) - it adds to my enjoyment of the experience. Just like I don't post on PD a whole lot but I've been reading it for years and years because it adds to my enjoyment. In fact, I'd love to be able to follow the game thread on PD from BLF during the game...

BillS
08-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Direct link bandwidth != wifi over the air bandwidth, especially with the overhead.

That said, there ARE ways to zone reception to have multiple wireless receivers and split the bandwidth. The spacing is a Black Art, as you need to optimize coverage while minimizing overlap (overlap would mean multiple routers are trying to handle the same client, wasting resources). It can and has been done.

If the wifi was only allowed for Season Ticket Holders, that in and of itself would reduce the actual number of users significantly. If I remember correctly, unless/until a connection is established there is no overhead on the receiver - i.e. just broadcasting the ssid isn't affected by the number of clients - and, if needed, the ssid broadcast could be silenced so only STHs know what to go look for.

As I've said multiple times, I use my cell for in-game stats that simply aren't available from the public scoreboard (and the ones that ARE available are never shown when I want to see them). Even if it is a local network only (no external internet access) with a web page allowing access to advanced statistics on demand it would be a HUGE amenity.

Sandman21
08-20-2012, 04:11 PM
STH only wifi would last exactly the amount of time it would take for some yahoo to give his non STH buddy the code and SSID.

So maybe 60 seconds.

BillS
08-20-2012, 04:23 PM
STH only wifi would last exactly the amount of time it would take for some yahoo to give his non STH buddy the code and SSID.

So maybe 60 seconds.

Understood. For full STHs, there's a bit more proprietary treatment of goodies like that, though it will leak. A solution is to change things from time to time, use a post-connection login (that can be restricted to number of logins from the same user), or any number of other schemes that are pretty successfully used in the hospitality business and other areas.

The point being that there are ways to provide decent (not fiber speeds) bandwidth and services - for example, I'd LOVE to be able to order club level food from a web page instead of having to get the attention of the serving person.

kielbeze
08-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Wouldn't it make sense for them to host a domain locally that was an "in house" homepage of sorts that requires no internet.
Then they could just host a stat tracker. This way you arent wasting your bandwith so Billy can upload a video of his buddy doing tequila shots via his nose?
Intranet? I guess is the term.

BillS
08-20-2012, 04:35 PM
Wouldn't it make sense for them to host a domain locally that was an "in house" homepage of sorts that requires no internet.
Then they could just host a stat tracker. This way you arent wasting your bandwith so Billy can upload a video of his buddy doing tequila shots via his nose?
Intranet? I guess is the term.

That or just throttle bandwidth for individual sessions (or use QoS to prioritize things like Twitter that are pretty bandwidth-friendly) so Billy takes forever without really impacting everyone else.

The intranet would be a good way to be able to experiment with speeds/demand/access without giving people something that takes over as the route for their cellular apps and causes them to get frustrated.

Naptown_Seth
08-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Exactly. First you can dump an HD feed down a coax with a modulator (which I do at home using the installed cable lines) or you could just local ATSC broadcast or fiber runs. Getting the data to the TV is nothing, and the TVs at a bulk purchase would have to run maybe $100 I'd bet. 32" generic HD flats nowadays?

I'm impressed!

They also said 330 new HDTVs (sizes ranging from 32" to 70") throughout the Fieldhouse as well.

WooHoo.

Naptown_Seth
08-20-2012, 08:26 PM

It enhances it. Because, see, that giant board is going to scare the s*** out of the players and they will storm into Simon's office and demand to be moved to another city, preferably with an outdoor court that's protected some netting.

Although joking aside, I didn't think it seemed in Simon's style to ever think of moving the team but I did think that a dire financial situation could force a choice he hated to make. So I kinda could buy into it and this move definitely comes as a shock to me in that regard.

duke dynamite
08-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Direct link bandwidth != wifi over the air bandwidth, especially with the overhead.

That said, there ARE ways to zone reception to have multiple wireless receivers and split the bandwidth. The spacing is a Black Art, as you need to optimize coverage while minimizing overlap (overlap would mean multiple routers are trying to handle the same client, wasting resources). It can and has been done.

If the wifi was only allowed for Season Ticket Holders, that in and of itself would reduce the actual number of users significantly. If I remember correctly, unless/until a connection is established there is no overhead on the receiver - i.e. just broadcasting the ssid isn't affected by the number of clients - and, if needed, the ssid broadcast could be silenced so only STHs know what to go look for.

As I've said multiple times, I use my cell for in-game stats that simply aren't available from the public scoreboard (and the ones that ARE available are never shown when I want to see them). Even if it is a local network only (no external internet access) with a web page allowing access to advanced statistics on demand it would be a HUGE amenity.

Digital certificates solve this. Each game a certificate must be downloaded via cellular network, give a password. This password changed each game.

BillS
08-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Digital certificates solve this. Each game a certificate must be downloaded via cellular network, give a password. This password changed each game.

A new password every game isn't practical, makes it a pain for STHs rather than a bonus. At some point you take a little bit of leak in exchange for convenience.

huber14
08-21-2012, 03:11 PM
A new password every game isn't practical, makes it a pain for STHs rather than a bonus. At some point you take a little bit of leak in exchange for convenience.

Why not just make everyone sign in with their season ticket account username and password? I can't see many people giving that out to friends and family.

huber14
08-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Looks like it's the second biggest now. Still the biggest in the NBA though.

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=630531

Trader Joe
08-21-2012, 03:38 PM
OK so do you want STH wifi or do you not? LOL No offense Bill but this is a little picky

"I want a season ticket holder wifi!"

"Done just enter the password supplied to you before every game"

"Well screw that, I don't want it now"

BillS
08-21-2012, 05:47 PM
OK so do you want STH wifi or do you not? LOL No offense Bill but this is a little picky

"I want a season ticket holder wifi!"

"Done just enter the password supplied to you before every game"

"Well screw that, I don't want it now"

I am a networking guy who does support, so I am putting on my "tech savvy enough to be dangerous customer" hat right now:

OK, so how is the password supplied? Via email? Via text? Do I need to be able to check (say) my home email from work? Who do I contact at the game for tech assistance? If I have to do a new password every game and I have trouble getting my password changed every game, who do I complain to?

These are logistical issues that will definitely cause someone not to get their password before a given game and will cause something that should be a satisfier to become a dissatisfier, which negates the whole purpose of it. That's why you need a convenience issue - it isn't a firewall, for goodness sakes, it is to keep access to STHs. Leaks will happen, it doesn't mean you need to lock them down so there is NEVER a leak, you just clean it up every so often.

Me? I could deal with new game/new password. But the guy up the aisle from me probably can't.

Kegboy
08-21-2012, 07:54 PM
:geezer:

Back in my day, there was no such thing as internet at the Fieldhouse. We sat in our seats and we watched the game. When the game wasn't playing we watched the Pacemates, even when they were standing around doing nothing. And when they caught us staring at them, we just pretended to be watching Mel Daniels, damn it.

If we wanted to know the score of another game, we checked the away boards. They usually got changed once every half hour or so. And sure, sometimes it was wrong. Like the last game of the season where we needed Milwaukee to lose to make the playoffs, but they were killing Detroit. Except they had the score backwards, and Milwaukee was actually getting their butts kicked. And then they fixed it, but nobody knew if that was the right score or the mixup. Man, fun times!

And if you wanted to know the stats, you checked the stat board. Sure, it only showed the players actually in the game, but IT WAS BETTER THAN WHAT WAS AT MSA, JUST LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE, SO WE KEPT OUR MOUTHS SHUT!

(Did I mention there was no STH discount? Cause they're wasn't.)

grace
08-22-2012, 03:49 PM

Back in my day, there was no such thing as internet at the Fieldhouse. We sat in our seats and we watched the game. When the game wasn't playing we watched the Pacemates, even when they were standing around doing nothing. And when they caught us staring at them, we just pretended to be watching Mel Daniels, damn it.

If we wanted to know the score of another game, we checked the away boards. They usually got changed once every half hour or so. And sure, sometimes it was wrong. Like the last game of the season where we needed Milwaukee to lose to make the playoffs, but they were killing Detroit. Except they had the score backwards, and Milwaukee was actually getting their butts kicked. And then they fixed it, but nobody knew if that was the right score or the mixup. Man, fun times!

And if you wanted to know the stats, you checked the stat board. Sure, it only showed the players actually in the game, but IT WAS BETTER THAN WHAT WAS AT MSA, JUST LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE, SO WE KEPT OUR MOUTHS SHUT!

(Did I mention there was no STH discount? Cause they're wasn't.)

Here's what Kegboy forgot to include in his post...Before you fix things that aren't broke maybe they'd like to fix the automatic flushers that don't automatically flush! :soapbox:

kielbeze
08-23-2012, 12:26 PM
:twss:

kielbeze
08-23-2012, 12:30 PM
that was in reguards to this

edit function is not working lol

CoolHand
08-23-2012, 12:35 PM
:

Back in my day, there was no such thing as ....

Hilarious man... :lol2:

CoolHand
08-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Here's a nice read on the technical challenges of cellular/wi-fi and what some arenas are doing...

http://arstechnica.com/features/2012/08/why-your-smart-device-cant-get-wifi-in-the-home-teams-stadium/

Roaming Gnome
08-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Here's a nice read on the technical challenges of cellular/wi-fi and what some arenas are doing...

http://arstechnica.com/features/2012/08/why-your-smart-device-cant-get-wifi-in-the-home-teams-stadium/

Thanks a million... That actually answered a lot of questions I had about that and The Fieldhouse in particular. Probably the worst experience I had with this wasn't at the Fieldhouse but in the arena at OKC 4 seasons ago. Couldn't get my phone or the wife's to work nor could Duke Dynamite, but as soon as the game was over.... Everything was fine. The next year when I went back to OKC... It was more like the Fieldhouse where the phone worked but Wifi was iffy.

Hoop
08-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Did you guys know that 3 years ago you could get free wifi at Conseco. I use to connect with my iPhone (no data plan) just about every game, then the next season I couldn't connect at all.

I asked why they were now blocking wifi, I was told that I should have never been able to connect in the first place. I guess they had some incompetent IT guys running things. :laugh:

BRushWithDeath
09-04-2012, 11:48 AM

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=630531

Not now. Everything is bigger in Texas.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/09/toyota-center-to-install-huge-high-definition-video-screens/

Roaming Gnome
09-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Not now. Everything is bigger in Texas.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/09/toyota-center-to-install-huge-high-definition-video-screens/

I like how in the article they were saying it's not the board, but what and how they use the board is going to make the difference.

this will be about more than improved technology and a big, clear screen. A home movie shown on a new 60-inch flat screen is still a home movie. The goal is to create nightly Hollywood productions.

“This thing will be like an IMAX movie theater,” Abercrombie said. “Our approach is changing to a more cinematic approach for everything from our intros to our pregame videos to our timeout videos. We want everything to feel like you’re watching a short film. The board is just a board, a piece of equipment. What’s played on the board — that falls on our shoulders.

I hope this is the way that those at BLF want to be with our piece of technology!

BillS
09-04-2012, 03:03 PM
I like how in the article they were saying it's not the board, but what and how they use the board is going to make the difference.

I hope this is the way that those at BLF want to be with our piece of technology!

As long as it enhances rather than competes with what is on the floor. Otherwise, it's just a hell of a lot larger Boomer screaming for attention.

duke dynamite
09-04-2012, 04:08 PM
There was a nice little snippet on the Reds' scoreboard yesterday during the broadcast. They have the same philosophy. About 95% of all the graphics and videos are made-in house. Their stance is that if you have that nice of a screen, it "ain't worth jack if you don't have anything good to show".

Coopdog23
09-04-2012, 06:43 PM

New, bigger Jumbo tron?

Fan section for activites inside the fieldhouse? (Like at Great American Ballpark for Reds games)

its supposed to be kinda like the Cowboys Stadium one, just not as big

huber14
09-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Anyone watching the Fever game? It's weird to see just the screens and no shell of the old scoreboard.

rel
09-28-2012, 08:39 PM
Anyone watching the Fever game? It's weird to see just the screens and no shell of the old scoreboard.

It's already up??

graphic-er
09-28-2012, 09:35 PM
It's already up??

No, they took the old score board down and now they just have 4 screens hanging, almost look like they are floating in the air because there isn't really any structure. Those are screens that they rented.

Sandman21
09-28-2012, 11:43 PM
No, they took the old score board down and now they just have 4 screens hanging, almost look like they are floating in the air because there isn't really any structure. Those are screens that they rented.

The actual new scoreboard is already up there, they just haven't turned it on yet.

huber14
09-29-2012, 10:29 AM
The actual new scoreboard is already up there, they just haven't turned it on yet.

Like above the rented screens at the very top of the rafters?

Sandman21
09-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Yes. The new sound system appears to be in place too and in use too.

Hicks
09-29-2012, 04:08 PM
How does it sound?

Sandman21
09-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Much clearer, maybe a little too much bass in fact.

NapTonius Monk
10-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Will the board be active for the 1st pre-season game, or not until the reg season tips off?

Hicks
10-08-2012, 07:26 PM
November 3rd.

Roaming Gnome
10-08-2012, 09:43 PM
During Friday's Grady and big Joe show (Segment 5 around 5:00 minute mark on the Podcast http://www.1070thefan.com/gradyandjoe/podcast.aspx) Eddie White was on and said the scoreboard is completed. Later in the same segment (:25 sec mark) Grady said this:

M. Grady: "I believe it's gonna be unveiled if the Fever reach the WNBA Finals. They may do it that way. If they (Fever) don't; we obviously hope they do, but if they don't then it will be opening night against the Sacramento Kings. So, we'll see... We'll see!"

Fever play a decisive game 3 in Connecticut on Thursday to advance to the WNBA Finals...

Trader Joe
10-09-2012, 12:26 AM
Blargh if it is unveiled at a fever game. That is lame.

Heisenberg
10-09-2012, 12:47 AM
Why? It's an awesome upgrade so...the Fever shouldn't get to use it? It's not like we got new uniforms and the Fever adopted them first or something.

gummy
10-09-2012, 01:37 AM

I think it's great! If it were going to be unveiled at any old game I would understand, but the Finals would be a great environment for a reveal.

Trader Joe
10-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Did you guys see how many people were at the Fever ECF game? Couldn't even fill up the whole lower level. Sorry if it makes me a dick, but it would be a waste.

gummy
10-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Did you guys see how many people were at the Fever ECF game? Couldn't even fill up the whole lower level. Sorry if it makes me a dick, but it would be a waste.

When they went to the Finals in 2009, the games were sold out and nobody bought gobs of free tickets for the games either (Bird bought some tickets for the ECF that year). So if that happens again, the answer is that more fans will see it than would during a regular Pacers game against a non-marquee opponent. I don't know if it makes you a dick, but it would make you wrong about the audience numbers.

Anyway, your objection to this is just plain weird to me - it's not like this a consumable commodity that will somehow be used up and ruined by exposure. It will still be there in all its glory for Pacers opening night and it will still be exciting.

It's probably all moot anyway, as odds are the Fever will lose in CT. I guess you can root for that if the possibility bothers you so much. ;)

Trader Joe
10-09-2012, 03:41 PM
I won't root against them by any means, and if they sell out the WHOLE Fieldhouse, then that changes my opinion. Honestly didn't follow them much in 09 did they sell out the whole arena or just the lower and club?

Anyway, Pacers almost always sell out the home opener and from talking to people I know there is genuine excitement to see this thing unveiled at that game.

gummy
10-09-2012, 03:46 PM
I won't root against them by any means, and if they sell out the WHOLE Fieldhouse, then that changes my opinion. Honestly didn't follow them much in 09 did they sell out the whole arena or just the lower and club?

Anyway, Pacers almost always sell out the home opener and from talking to people I know there is genuine excitement to see this thing unveiled at that game.

Gotcha. They sold out the whole thing for the Finals in '09. People thought maybe that meant a big jump in fan support for the following season, but...it didn't.

Still, I expect that if they make the Finals again the place will be packed. Even some of the most apathetic fans like to say they saw a champion win.

If it gets used during the WNBA Finals, do you think people would be any less excited to see it on Pacers' opening night? I guess that is possible, though it seems weird to me. If I lived in Indy, I'd be excited to see that thing every game. ;)

Naptown_Seth
10-09-2012, 04:29 PM
First off - sucks that it sounds like Houston is getting rid of the Rocket Lift Off that Gnome and I both saw (and me again last year) because that's pretty cool. IIRC Gnome posted video maybe? I think I have one from last year. Sounds like the rocket is being moved.

Personally I love mixed media (ie, video and physically tangible items), to me that's a lot more interesting and cool than just video production. Imagine if Boomer were only a video character on screens, it wouldn't be the same.

Second - I agree with T Joe a little bit, there is a sense of anti-climatic to revealing the scoreboard to a non-full house. Remember that Conseco itself was opened for the season opener and not before. They had a night before the game very exclusive tour but made the reveal a big event.

WNBA Finals is a nice deal and I'm all for supporting the Fever, but the Pacers home opener is going to be a sell-out and the Pacers are the big deal in the Fieldhouse. In fact they are basically saying just that when they suggest that it would only be revealed early if they make the Finals. They recognize the idea of showmanship and the required prestige of the event they want to associate the reveal with. It's why a Pacers pre-season isn't appropriate either.

So what we boil down to is the view of WNBA Finals vs Pacers Home Opener, and I hate to be the bearer (2nd after TJ actually) of bad news, but even at Finals level the Fever are still below a Pacers season opener I think. TJoe is definitely right to say that the WNBA ECF crowd was not enough for the prestige they are looking for. Great team, great game but just not considered a huge local event at this point.

Gummy, it's like any ribbon cutting or whatever. Every new thing can be enjoyed just as much 5 days later, but you'd never want to open Lucas with a 5000 attendance event vs a 65000 person Colts game. The 2nd time or the 10th time just isn't the news that the 1st time is.

Since86
10-09-2012, 04:34 PM
We went to game 3 of the WNBA Finals in 2009. It wasn't anywhere near filled to capacity. Tickets sold doesn't represent butts in the seat.

Larry bought out the entire balcony for Game 3, and there wasn't many people actually sitting up there.
http://indianapolis-indiana.funcityfinder.com/2009/09/26/larry-bird-indiana-fever-free-tickets/

EDIT: Whoops, that's for the Shock series.
EDIT2: I remember the balcony being empty, and the announcers really hitting getting your tickets for game 4 before you left.

Trader Joe
10-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Plus let's be honest, this scoreboard was not installed for the Fever, this was installed for the Pacers.

Trader Joe
10-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Did big names keep buying up tickets throughout the WNBA finals? Because in 2009, attendance magically went from about 9K in Game 2 of the ECF to a sold out 18,165 in Game 3. And wiki claims that both games 3 and 4 were also complete sell outs, but I am just finding that very hard to believe.

gummy
10-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Did big names keep buying up tickets throughout the WNBA finals? Because in 2009, attendance magically went from about 9K in Game 2 of the ECF to a sold out 18,165 in Game 3. And wiki claims that both games 3 and 4 were also complete sell outs, but I am just finding that very hard to believe.

Like I said before - Larry bought tickets for the ECF. No big names bought tickets for the WNBA Finals series that year. It was widely reported as a sell out at the time. Can't report on butts in the seats (other than seeing some pictures on Indy Star and it looked like a full house), so there ya go. You can find references to it, like here:

http://www.swishappeal.com/2009/10/9/1078170/around-the-web-have-the-2009
http://www.wnba.com/playoffs2009/attendance_record_091009.html

I know the Indy Star wrote about it too, but they are trying to make me pay to read one of their "archived" stories. Noooope.

Anyway, I don't care much either way though Naptown's point ala ribbon cutting is somewhat persuasive to me. I just needed to push back against the idea that the ECF attendance numbers are predictive of Finals attendance. I don't think they are.

gummy
10-11-2012, 10:49 PM
It's probably all moot anyway, as odds are the Fever will lose in CT.

Well, I was really wrong about this. The Fever walloped the Sun on their home court even after Katie Douglas was carted off to the hospital. So I guess we'll see what happens now, in terms of attendance and the jumbo board!

Trader Joe
10-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Well, I was really wrong about this. The Fever walloped the Sun on their home court even after Katie Douglas was carted off to the hospital. So I guess we'll see what happens now, in terms of attendance and the jumbo board!

True that and congrats to the Fever. Anyone know Katie's status?

gummy
10-12-2012, 01:24 AM
True that and congrats to the Fever. Anyone know Katie's status?

Nope. Info probably won't be released until tomorrow. Her ankle rolled over such that she created a 90 degree angle though. Nasty sprain at the very least.

Roaming Gnome
10-12-2012, 05:41 AM
Here is a video of the new scoreboard operating in the Fieldhouse. I don't see the temp boards hanging...
http://www.indystar.com/videonetwork/1894858780001/New-screen-at-Bankers-Life-Fieldhouse-

CoolHand
10-12-2012, 08:50 AM
The local news this morning said that the scoreboard was going to be unveiled at tonight's preseason game.... w00t!

Hicks
10-12-2012, 09:57 AM
The local news this morning said that the scoreboard was going to be unveiled at tonight's preseason game.... w00t!

Have any other news outlets said this? It just seems strange that they would suddenly change their minds and unveil it now instead of waiting until the home opener.

Trader Joe
10-12-2012, 10:03 AM
I'm guessing they want it to be up for the national TV coverage of the WNBA Finals, but still want Pacers to be the first team to play with it up. Plus if Pacero is right that video is going to still be "old size" then I doubt the Fever will have full video. So home opener will still be the first time for that.

CoolHand
10-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Have any other news outlets said this? It just seems strange that they would suddenly change their minds and unveil it now instead of waiting until the home opener.

It was channel 6.. (no other sources) Here's more (and in this article it's a bit more ambiguous than what I remembered from 6am)..

The new video board will have a limited debut Friday night during the Pacers first home preseason game against Minnesota. The video board won’t be used to its full capabilities until the Pacers regular season opener Saturday, Nov. 3 against Sacramento.

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/sports/pacers_and_nba/pacers-unveil-new-deluxe-video-board

BillS
10-12-2012, 01:02 PM
It was channel 6..

The video board won’t be used to its full capabilities until the Pacers regular season opener Saturday, Nov. 3 against Sacramento.

As long as I can see the score and some stats of who is on the floor. Going through a whole Fever season looking in the wrong place for the score and not seeing any stats was really hard.

Hicks
10-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Did they end up replacing the stat boards on either side of the fieldhouse, or not? I thought that was part of the overhaul plan, to replace those with big LED boards...?

Sandman21
10-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Did they end up replacing the stat boards on either side of the fieldhouse, or not? I thought that was part of the overhaul plan, to replace those with big LED boards...?

They are currently MIA.

Sandman21
10-12-2012, 06:38 PM
They are currently MIA.
but not anymore... new stat boards are up. unfortunately out of town old school.boards are gone now...

CoolHand
10-12-2012, 10:59 PM
The screen was nice (even though they weren't using it all - it will be REAL nice when they do...)

What happened to all the tv's on the concourse being replaced? All I saw were the old ones...

Sandman21
10-12-2012, 11:10 PM
What happened to all the tv's on the concourse being replaced? All I saw were the old ones...

Theres new ones on the club level. My guess is they aren't completely done yet.

Hicks
10-12-2012, 11:11 PM
That thing is BIG. I can testify that the balcony level already had some of the new TVs up and running; it didn't look like they had any that I could see down on the main concourse, though.

As for the new screens for the player stats, they look nice enough, but did they really need to still only tell us points, rebounds, assists, and fouls? Why not go further and at least include steals, blocks, and turnovers?

BillS
10-13-2012, 10:00 AM
That thing is BIG. I can testify that the balcony level already had some of the new TVs up and running; it didn't look like they had any that I could see down on the main concourse, though.

As for the new screens for the player stats, they look nice enough, but did they really need to still only tell us points, rebounds, assists, and fouls? Why not go further and at least include steals, blocks, and turnovers?

I was having enough trouble reading the stats they had on the endcaps. The side screens seemed to be good enough, though I couldn't read the Pacers' side easily from where we sit. The new screens up over the ends of the Fieldhouse are practically useless for me - part of it is the colors, part of it is the typeface, but the big part of it is that the actual information area is smaller than it used to be, it is just surrounded by graphics and advertising logos.

I noticed there was a pretty big separation border between the live video and the stat block - maybe they could decrease the size of that and increase the size of the stat block. Looked to me like it would give them about a sixth more space, which is pretty significant.

Overall I'm a bit disappointed.

Roaming Gnome
10-13-2012, 05:05 PM
I was having enough trouble reading the stats they had on the endcaps. The side screens seemed to be good enough, though I couldn't read the Pacers' side easily from where we sit. The new screens up over the ends of the Fieldhouse are practically useless for me - part of it is the colors, part of it is the typeface, but the big part of it is that the actual information area is smaller than it used to be, it is just surrounded by graphics and advertising logos.

I noticed there was a pretty big separation border between the live video and the stat block - maybe they could decrease the size of that and increase the size of the stat block. Looked to me like it would give them about a sixth more space, which is pretty significant.

Overall I'm a bit disappointed.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that had issues seeing stats and info on the new boards. My wife and friends were telling me that I was just blind. :D

Sandman21
10-13-2012, 05:43 PM
My one issue with it was just how much longer last names get squished on the displays. It was almost impossible to see Lance's name on the end boards.

ReggiesUncle
10-13-2012, 08:27 PM
My one issue with it was just how much longer last names get squished on the displays. It was almost impossible to see Lance's name on the end boards.

my biggest beef w the new scoreboard is that there isn't a clock anywhere

I liked having that analog clock on the old scoreboard

I don't think there is a single place in the fieldhouse now that shows the current time

but don't get me wrong that new scoreboard is siiiick

gonna be a fun season!