PDA

View Full Version : Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

AugustinGrangerHill
08-13-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm going with Danny Granger

Psyren
08-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Honestly, I would pick David West over anyone.

Mad-Mad-Mario
08-13-2012, 09:48 PM
On a team like this it could be anybody depending on matchups

AugustinGrangerHill
08-13-2012, 09:49 PM
not shocking to me, i could see him being the leading scorer next year to be honest

cgg
08-13-2012, 09:51 PM
How many points do I need?

vnzla81
08-13-2012, 09:53 PM
Plumlee.

AugustinGrangerHill
08-13-2012, 09:54 PM
down by 2
How many points do I need?

AugustinGrangerHill
08-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Plumlee.
really? I was thinking Pendergraph

mattie
08-13-2012, 09:55 PM
If it's the Bulls in the 90's I want Steve Kerr. If it's the Pacers in 90's I want Reggie Miller. If it's the Lakers early in the last decade I want Robert Horry. If it's Miami I want Ray Allen. If it's OKC I want Kevin Durant.

Do we see a trend? Yeah I always want the best shooters to take the shot. Pretty simple concept. I'd probably set up a play that'd help the best shooters get open. That's how you play the game if you're smart.

So obviously for the Pacers I want Danny or Paul to shoot since they're easily the best shooters.

sportfireman
08-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Whoever the coach draws the play up for.

MillerTime
08-13-2012, 10:15 PM

West played really well towards the end of the season and in the playoffs. Given the very limited training camp, it seems that he just needed to fully rehabilitate from the surgery. Im really happy with the West signing

Sandman21
08-13-2012, 10:17 PM
Depends on whose shot is falling at the moment.

pizza guy
08-13-2012, 10:33 PM
I really WANT Paul George to have the stuff for that moment. If I'm Vogel, and this situation presents itself mid-season, I think Paul George should get a chance.

If it's late in the season or in the post-season, I'd be comfortable with DWest getting the ball and making a move IF there's time on the clock. He's hard to stop and his veteran savvy is something I trust. Danny has, at times, shown the ability to take and make the big shot, so if it's got to be quick, I wouldn't mind giving him the chance.

But, if I'm drawing up the play, I want Roy to get the ball, draw the defense, and kick it to George Hill. He's got ice in his veins and ultimate confidence in that situation.

PR07
08-13-2012, 10:33 PM
The open man.

yoadknux
08-13-2012, 10:34 PM
It depends.

In theory, I think Granger has the best range and has proven to be pretty clutch. But whenever we're at the half court or inbound play, he just can't get open. I don't know why, maybe our plays suck, maybe the teammates don't execute the plays well, maybe he's not good at freeing himself. But bottom line, I don't think Granger is the type of player who gets the ball with 5 seconds left and gives you a game winner. Or maybe he is, but not for us.

So, based on our games this year, I'd say West should get the ball. He's good at getting position. He's good at posting up (He has a crazy post up move where he dribbles low and quick and just goes inside easily). He has good faders, good mid range.

Could also be Paul George. I'm no George fanboy, but how many times did he score when the shot clock was just about to expire? I can't be the only one who watched all his crazy attempts go in.

mildlysane
08-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Probably Danny followed closely by DWest.

mattie
08-13-2012, 10:49 PM
The open man.

That's ridiculous. ESPN told me the best player on the team is supposed to take the shot.

jeffg-body
08-13-2012, 10:53 PM
It all depends on the score for me. If we are 1 or 2 points down I like DW, or Roy. If we are down by 3 points I would say Danny, Hill or PG.

Kuq_e_Zi91
08-13-2012, 11:35 PM
Jeff Foster.

Heisenberg
08-14-2012, 01:01 AM
The logical answer's whomever's open.

The emotional answer is Roy. Earn that contract.

MvPlumlee
08-14-2012, 05:03 AM
If it is after a timeout, have someone throw it at Air Mahinmi for the dunk.

Pacer Fan
08-14-2012, 07:48 AM
for 2 pts vs weaker inside presence - I'd go with Hibbert or West in the paint.
for 2 pts vs stronger inside presence - I'd go with Granger on a 18' jumper.
for 3 pts i'd go with Granger 1st option, Hill 2nd option.

But it depends on time left on the clock and match ups. Match ups should be the strong point of the Pacers.

travmil
08-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Granger, only because he's the only current Pacer who has done it before to my knowledge.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/viTUCpvWQWU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z3GOHWssxBo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Unclebuck
08-14-2012, 08:13 AM
West without question.

Pacer Fan
08-14-2012, 08:35 AM
West without question.

I question that, I wouldn't want West to launch a 3 to tie.

Steagles
08-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Danny, West, Hill or PG, whoever is open.

Sent from #ColtsNation using Tapatalk

Mac_Daddy
08-14-2012, 08:51 AM
My gut says Hill.

I never go against my gut.

Unclebuck
08-14-2012, 09:16 AM
I question that, I wouldn't want West to launch a 3 to tie.

Doesn't that go without saying.

to be more precise the question is all wrong to begin with. It goes without saying that we don't want any player to "take a bad shot" And what a bad shot is, is different for each player.

The question should be who do we want to direct the play towards at the end of the game. In that case West IMO is best. if he gets doubled or cannot get the shot off he's one of our best passers and he'll make the correct play, he'll get us a good shot, whether he takes it or not.

Doesn't it go without saying, I would rather get Hibbert a wide open dunk than to get Hill a contested 22 ft shot.

Sookie
08-14-2012, 11:17 AM
I agree with those saying we should draw up a play and get a good shot.

But I'd personally try and get the ball in Hill's hands. He's likely going to be the best ball handler on the floor. (Unless PG improves tremendously in that area) So that's who I'd want to have the ball.

travmil
08-14-2012, 12:00 PM
If you have time to run a play, I agree I'd run the play through West. He can pass out of the post to anywhere on the floor and also find a cutter. Plus, if he ends up taking it himself you can feel pretty confident in that too.

But, the situation in the video from above where there is 0.9 seconds left and you're only gonna get a touch on the ball at most, Granger all the way.

Eddie Gill
08-14-2012, 12:09 PM

But I'd personally try and get the ball in Hill's hands. He's likely going to be the best ball handler on the floor. (Unless PG improves tremendously in that area) So that's who I'd want to have the ball.

Agree on Hill. Out of everyone he's got the requisite confidence/swag/moxy that immediately puts him in the clutch conversation.

But it's his ability to handle the ball, shoot of the dribble or on a kick out 3 that makes him the most versatile last second option for us. In other words, George Hill can get it done in a wider variety of ways than anyone on the roster.

vnzla81
08-14-2012, 12:11 PM
I trust West over Danny not because Danny is not a better shooter but because is easier to call a play for West than Danny, now if you tell me that the last second play calling is going to change and someway somehow the Pacers are able to get Danny open then I say Danny.

I also remember some last second calls were West threw the ball away trying to make a last second play.

OlBlu
08-14-2012, 12:38 PM

I also agree with Hill. He might get the shot or find an open man......:cool: ...

pacers74
08-14-2012, 02:09 PM
DG, he nailed one against new York 2 season ago.

Naptown_Seth
08-14-2012, 03:28 PM
If the question is "if you can get him the ball in an ISO to generate a score late" and we assume we are getting each person the ball in their spot, West on the mid-wing to blocks, Roy on low block, Danny, Hill and PG out at the arc, then I go with West then Hill then Danny.

This is based purely on one on one scoring opportunity ability. West would draw a double but can split it, though in Houston last year he got a winner shot and missed a fade. Hill has a clutchness to his game and seems unrattled late most of the time.

Danny doesn't have great handles but he has done it before. However some might remember when we tried to go back to the well vs the Knicks 2 years ago after he hit a game winner the previous week (or was that last year?) and he got stuffed the next game when they basically ran the same play.

I'm not scared to see any of the starting 5 taking the last 2 pt shot, and frankly I feel comfortable with DJ or Green set up in an ISO too.

mattie
08-14-2012, 03:47 PM
actually he was fouled by 'Melo. No biggie though.

imbtyler
08-14-2012, 05:04 PM
The scenario:

Granger has a game-high 26 points, most of which he's been scoring in the second half.

5 seconds on the clock, down by 2.

Paul George inbounds to Granger, who drives to mid-range to attract the double-team.

PG gets open behind the three point line, Granger dishes out, PG hits the 3 as the buzzer sounds.

Pacers win! Pacers win!!

Besides that, I would like to think that Gerald Green (of all the players, I know he's the least likely) could beat his man off the dribble and hit a fading 3. Does he have ice in his veins? Maybe. Can he hit a high-pressure shot? Well...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/adUq1vQiTSc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'd like to think that this isn't just a glimmer of Green's greatness. He may (or may not) have the ability to hit these shots consistently. But really, we won't know until we see him on the court with the rest of the team.

DangerGranger3pointranger
08-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Danny Granger, he is the longest tenured Pacer on the roster, he has shown us that he can be clutch, and he is the best player on the team.

D-BONE
08-14-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm not really sure who I'd want. Is that a good or bad thing in terms of our personnel?

OlBlu
08-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Danny Granger, he is the longest tenured Pacer on the roster, he has shown us that he can be clutch, and he is the best player on the team.

So you let the oldest player on the team close? Granger is not the best player on the team any longer. Roy Hibbert is.....:cool: ...

Trader Joe
08-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Pacers go to play at the end of games for an offensive bucket should be Augustin pick and roll with D-West. I think my lineup for late game buckets would be Augustin, Hill, Granger, West and Hibbert. Depending on PG's progression you could go Augustin, Hill, George, Granger, West <-That may end up being our best 7 seconds or less to get a shot lineup.

As much as people saying Roy, it's just not realistic. Big men are rarely good late game options regardless of how good they are. The only reason you would even have me out there is if you were trying to maximize your chance at a tip in.

Doddage
08-14-2012, 09:04 PM
So you let the oldest player on the team close? Granger is not the best player on the team any longer. Roy Hibbert is.....:cool: ...
Granger's not the oldest player on the team.

OlBlu
08-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Granger's not the oldest player on the team.

Longest tenured, I was being sarcastic........:cool: ...

BlueNGold
08-14-2012, 09:55 PM
Hill. I hope in 6 months we have a different answer. ...and I hope the three G's blow up this coming year.

I really think this coming year will tell us a lot about this group. I'm thinking Paul especially, but Lance's development is extremely important as well. Gerald Green's contribution will be huge as well. We could have several players take a step forward. If Paul isn't one of them, it's going to be a long 10 years...

Eleazar
08-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Hill, followed closely by Granger.

I don't quite get the trust in West. Yeah he has been clutch in the final 5 minutes in games, but I feel like in the closing seconds he tended to be anything but clutch last year.

Ace E.Anderson
08-14-2012, 10:12 PM
actually he was fouled by 'Melo. No biggie though.

Melo not only bumped him but he got him on the wrist AND with the body! If it were the other way around, Melo is shooting 2. Lol still haven't let it go :(

Ace E.Anderson
08-14-2012, 10:18 PM
I'd want to fake a screen and roll with Hill and West. Then have West spot up at the elbow and either have Hill go one on one, have him pass to DG to get a shot off, or pass to West to simply shoot an elbow J. Hill and DG are by far out most clutch players IMO.

Sookie
08-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Here's the problem with plays.

This play was noticed by a lot of coaches, several of which asked Geno to come teach them some of his "end of the game" plays. (Roy Williams, D'Antonie to name a few) One of the best things to do in basketball is to get the ball to the player who passes the ball in. Usually they'll get a good shot. And this was a fantastic out of bounds/last second play and shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T-P8Hcrg-k&feature=plcp

Except, it wasn't executed properly. That shot happened because Ann Strother and Maria Conlon (the blondes) were confused as to where they were supposed to be, and didn't execute their part of the play. Jessica Moore (the girl who the ball was originally passed into.) was smart enough to go get the ball and made an even smarter decision by giving the ball back to the best player on the floor. (Taurasi)

The play was actually drawn up for Conlon.

Plays in the clutch are rarely executed correctly. In fact, the PG isolation JOB ran so much, that drove us all crazy, I have a feeling he knew the percentage of times plays in the clutch worked out, and figured it would be better to just get a shot off.

So that's why Hibbert and West aren't the best options. They need someone to set them up. West a little better at creating something than Hibbert, but not that much. You don't give the ball to Granger because he's not a good enough ball handler or decision maker. (Unless he's open.) And I'd say the same for the PG of last season (I don't know if he'll improve ball handling skills this season.)

I'd also rather not run the same play in every scenario. A DJ/West PnR will probably work in November and December..but by April most teams will likely no how to defend it - and that it's coming.

I don't know DJ's game well enough to know if he's a better shooter/passer/decision maker than Hill, but I know Hill's the best combination of all of those of the rest of the players (at this point, like I said, I don't know how far PG has come in his development.) So I'd like him to have the ball. But I also think, like the above play, it'll be important for Hill to have someone to work off of. Whether it be someone making the right read when Hill drives so that Hill can kick it out for an open shot, or someone making the right pass to Hill for a shot etc.. and I can see that coming from DJ/PG/Danny/West. I actually remember Hill and West working really well with each other. But I think the important part (just like, essentially the important part of the video was to get the ball to Taurasi) is to get the ball to Hill.

Pingu
08-17-2012, 03:29 AM
I'd want a Danny ISO... :suicide:

mattie
08-17-2012, 04:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5drIn3aLco

Plays never work. And then as we can see in the prior post, if you do set up a play, and for god knows what reason players don't execute it correctly, then the play would be completely dead. (except in the prior post above when they still made a game winning shot)