PDA

View Full Version : Detroit starting to show true colors?

McKeyFan
11-24-2004, 01:09 AM
Food for thought:

We played with class tonight. Detroit's coach got ejected, and Rasheed Wallace got rejected. There's was also a near fight at one point.

Over time, we may really learn who the classier team really is.

TheSauceMaster
11-24-2004, 01:31 AM
Nah , I am sure the refs has a nice little meeting after last friday and were told to be alittle stricter in enforcing and taking less lip about calls from players. I think you gonna see a slight increase in technical fouls called over the next few weeks.

Gyron
11-24-2004, 08:57 AM
Well the other question I have is the game report I read on detroit said Rashweed threw one of his wristbands out into the audience when he got pissed off.

I know he's in his home Stadium, but with all the **** that just happened with the Audience and the interaction.....I think Rashweed might need a warning suspension...(I'd post a little devil head here, but I can't find the smiley's now)

Vicious Tyrant
11-24-2004, 09:19 AM
I know there has been some debate (often with KStat) about Rasheed's "character". I wonder if this makes Detroit fans a little uneasy?

Doug
11-24-2004, 09:20 AM
If Wallace threw something, anything into the crowd, then he should be suspended. Ditto for basketballs, water bottles, etc. And I'm not picking on the Pistons here, it should go for everybody. It's not like a headband is going to hurt anybody, but that's the way it goes.

If the league is going to take a hard line on player-crowd interations, they must be consistent in that message.

That means a statement like "If you throw something into the crowd, you will be suspended 1 game" must be made and then enforced consistently. Just like any other rule change, the players will adjust. And if not, they have only themselves to blame.

Gyron
11-24-2004, 09:22 AM
I agree Doug...Seriously. If Stern is going to be a hard ***, it needs to be strict on all players..

indygeezer
11-24-2004, 10:02 AM
I'm kinda in Rashweeds corner on this to a point. THe wristbands/headbands are constantly flung into the seats with nothing being said. BUT...what wlse had been going on or said I don't know.

How ablout Tin's tech? Was it justified? It did put him in a situation where he couldn't say anything later in the game (foul/push out at mid-court). HAd he said anything he coulda been tossed.

Fool
11-24-2004, 10:43 AM
Rasheed flung his headband after he threw an outlet pass too far ahead and it ended up out of bounds. The tech for doing so might have been "the message" as Wallace's actions were clearly in frustration with himself. Gar Heard got a double tech without being demonstrative in the least (from the timing it looked like a "get the team to react" ejection).

BTW, this might cheer some of you up at least a bit. The Pistons are clearly playing complacently so far this season. Ben and Larry have been out a lot and when they have been the team seems to put it in neutral for long stretches. There hasn't been a game yet where the team has just come out and dominated for 48 minutes and in many of the wins the team has been down double digits before they've realized they actually have to work to win. They were down by 21 at one point in this game before any defense akin to last year was played. Now, they've come back to at least get it close in almost all of those situations but the half-hearted effort (SO MANY EASY BASKETS!) is very frustrating to watch.

McKeyFan
11-24-2004, 10:45 AM
Nah , I am sure the refs has a nice little meeting after last friday and were told to be alittle stricter in enforcing and taking less lip about calls from players.

Well, that extra enforcement applied to the Ps last night too. And we didn't act like fools and didn't get ejected. The point stands.

tseramid
11-24-2004, 10:53 AM
I think there is probably a crackdown on players throwing ANYTHING into the stands or at other people. Maybe it is just me, but I could see why that would be a little touchy right now.

"It's a technical now for throwing stuff in the stands? I just questioned (the official), asked `since when,' and he said `It's always been like that,'" Wallace said. "I knew it wasn't the case, for the simple fact that I did it a couple of times this year and Ben (Wallace) did it.

Clearly the league has changed from last Friday and if he can't see the value of keeping flying objects to a minimum in arenas right now, I don't know what to tell him.

Kstat
11-24-2004, 12:05 PM
A player throwing a personal item into the stands is something the NBA WANTS...like when Rodman would get tossed, he'd throw his jersey. Fans love that stuf.....even if they don't keep them, they can always sell them on Ebay.

I remember Charles Barkley threw his shoes into the stands here once after an ejection....there was sucha big fight over them people almost had to be hospitalized. And don't get me started with Reggie's wristbands (this was back in the day when there was no rivalry)

Now, if a player throws something harmful like a water bottle, that should be a suspension, yeah.

We already have the rule that kicking a basketball into the stands is an automatic ejection.

Rasheed throws his headband into the stands at least once a week. Its his symbol that he's really going to turn up his intensity.

Oh, and McKeyfan, if the Pistons wind up having a better record than the Pacers, will you conceede that the Pistons are the "classier" team? Of course not. None of this has anything to do with "class" anyway. You can still lose and have class.

Ragnar
11-24-2004, 12:07 PM
I dont mind the headband or playing gear such as shoes or jerseys. Like Kstat said water bottle no headband yes.

tseramid
11-24-2004, 12:44 PM
Whether it is right or wrong, I think the league is going to be really touchy about players throwing anything for a while. In a few weeks, the tension will back off and some of this will get back to normal. Tinsley was T'd up for tossing a ball to a referee yesterday. I think it is doubtful he would have been T'd up for that a week ago.

Doug
11-24-2004, 01:11 PM
Tinsley was T'd up for tossing a ball to a referee yesterday. I think it is doubtful he would have been T'd up for that a week ago.And it's debatable whether or not he should have been last night. Sure, the pass had a little zip on it, but it hit the ref right in the hands and he caught it just fine. I think it just surprised him a bit.

Now, if it had been Pollard catching it, the pass would have bounced off of his hands and into the third row. So maybe the ref had a point. Or maybe we should sign him.

McKeyFan
11-24-2004, 01:49 PM
Oh, and McKeyfan, if the Pistons wind up having a better record than the Pacers, will you conceede that the Pistons are the "classier" team? Of course not. None of this has anything to do with "class" anyway. You can still lose and have class.

My point exactly: you can still lose and have class.

The Pacers won with class last night, and they lost with class Saturday night.

Let's say the Pistons won with class this past weekend. But they lost without class last night.

So far...Pacers are ahead.

IMO.

3Ball
11-24-2004, 02:58 PM
What about throwing a jock strap? It's soft and unlikely to do harm. Unless people are trampled by fans trying avoid it.

Kstat
11-24-2004, 03:04 PM
considering whomever threw it would have to strip down first......he'd be facing penalties FAR worse than a 1-game suspension.....