PDA

View Full Version : Pacers Rebrand Concept [Personal Project]

rel
08-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Hey everyone,

Some of you may remember the concept uniforms I did a year ago. Well, I always wanted to revise them and expand on the rebranding which resulted in this larger personal project. For the most part, I liked what I had started but wanted to improve on things many here felt could be better, mainly the wordmark and typeface. I won't explain much here and just let the graphic do the talking...Hope you guys like it!

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Indiana-Pacers-TEAM-REBRAND/4722109

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/7825/pacersarielaurellano.jpg

PacersHomer
08-09-2012, 01:57 PM
I don't love the "Indy" with the lowercase i, but I like everything else. The alternate logo might be too close to the Wizards alternate though.

Heisenberg
08-09-2012, 02:00 PM
That alternate logo incorporating the state flag is SWEET

ECKrueger
08-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Love. It. Especially the alternate.

Day-V
08-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Absolutely fantastic, bro.

Kid Minneapolis
08-09-2012, 02:26 PM
I like the layout and colors and new logo on the third uni that GHill is wearing, EXCEPT I'd take off the iNDY and replace it with INDIANA or PACERS. Nice work.

ECKrueger
08-09-2012, 02:29 PM
I think it is a great update on our image, and best of all - it is realistic, I think.

...and I actually like the Indy jersey. Maybe with out the lowercase i, but I like the idea of having an Indy jersey.

ColeTheMole
08-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Paul George looks like one bad mother lover in that picture.

pacerDU
08-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Great job rel! I'm a graphic designer as well and I think you've created a really solid style-guide here.

The uniforms look great and I do really like the alternate uni that G. Hill is wearing, including the use of "indy". The only element I'm not so keen on is the font choice. I understand you're looking to connect the "I" and "P" to the logo, with the use of the little flourish at the top, but I'm not sure it's necessary as it seems a little distracting. The lowercase "i" works for the "indy" alternate, but is a bit uncomfortable when it comes to the full "iNDIANA". I like the uppercase "I" you've used in the "main lockups" section more for the uniforms.

I think the font looks good on the uniforms, but feels a little disconnected when used in the logo. The Pacer's "P" emblem is a hard image to fit a word next to though. Maybe making "PACERS" a larger element in the overall logo might help?

Overall, I really like it :)

Since86
08-09-2012, 02:47 PM
The jerseys are completely badass. The only thing that I would change is that the stem(right word??) in the gray P logo is a bit short. It just doesn't quite look like a "P" to me anyways.

graphic-er
08-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Not a fan of the type face with treatment to the i, and thus the logo change. But other than that, kick ***! Very nice presentation, Pro level. You working in advertising yet, in school?

mildlysane
08-09-2012, 03:09 PM
They look real sharp! Although, I dunno about using indy....seems to me that is a nickname for Indianapolis, not Indiana.

NapTonius Monk
08-09-2012, 03:10 PM
any way to get these in the hands of team personnel?

J7F
08-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Rel - Tell me that you didn't draw the players too...

I saw the work you were doing on PGs face earlier this year... I believe it is within your talents to have drawn the players too...

Very nice! But no gold alternate jersey? That will upset some people (jk)

Hicks
08-09-2012, 03:28 PM
There's a lot to like here. I'm not 100% on board, but I'd say I'm 75% on board with it. I really do like those jerseys, though I'm not quite liking the fonts. But otherwise they're pretty great.

Trader Joe
08-09-2012, 03:46 PM
The grey text is a little hard to read above each section IMO, looks good though.

The alternate color scheme though is a little golden-state-ish for me though. Like the idea of putting Indy on a jersey though.

PR07
08-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Really well done.

While I don't agree with all of it, I like a lot of it. If you did all that by yourself, that's pretty impressive.

-Like the jersey designs and color combo schemes especially
-Not a huge fan of the "indy", maybe it's because I'm not originally from Indianapolis, but Pacers represent the entire state of Indiana.

31andonly
08-09-2012, 03:49 PM
love it. especially the alternate uniform. the "indy" jersey is awesome!

ilive4sports
08-09-2012, 03:55 PM
I think it looks amazing. I absolutely love the iP logo and the alternate uniform. The jersey's look absolutely incredible. I would love to see this change made. Amazing work rel as usually.

pizza guy
08-09-2012, 04:23 PM
I love everything about it. It draws from the awesome Pacers' history but still stands alone as totally unique aand current. Nothing else in the NBA is like it. Someone please get rel a job doing this for the Pacers.

08-09-2012, 04:52 PM
Kudos. Love the logo(s) hate the uniform and the court. By far a better update of the logo than the last.

rel
08-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Thanks for all the comments/critiques! Seems like the small notch on the first letters/logo are a hit and miss so far. The main reason I originally started adding it was to give the logo some motion. At first it was just a mere detail to show speed but when I looked at it again, it began to look like an "i" which I revised towards and ran with. I really just wanted to curve out some corners and make it seem less grounded, which i think the all the past logos suffer from (especially for a team identity that is supposed to evoke speed/racing/motion).

Really, the main focuses were to emphasize 'Indiana'.
-"i" in Primary
-State flag influence in Alternate
-IndyCar shape in Alternate uni
-Brickyard pattern at halfcourt (this is one thing I feel like they really should do)

...So I really wanted represent the city/state

Also, I knew that 'Indy' integration would get some dislikes because of its reference to just the city, but that was the one aspect that I let my interest get ahead of the design :P I've always wanted just an Indy jersey being from there, and hey, it's just a concept :D

rel
08-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Also, I just realized I uploaded an earlier file*

Just updated to my latest one (different court)

Heisenberg
08-09-2012, 05:19 PM
didn't even notice the brickyard stripe at center court, that's a pretty cool little touch

Young
08-09-2012, 05:27 PM
I think you did a nice job overall. Although I agree with those who dislike using "Indy" over "Indiana". Every now and then we see someone offer a different design for the Pacers. I think it would be awesome if they made it a contest. Let a fan re-design the court, logo, jersey, etc. I think it would be great marketing.

Eleazar
08-09-2012, 05:36 PM
I like the jersey designs, and that is about it. I don't like the idea of re-branding anyways so I might be bias, but I don't think the logo design or typeface are good updates at all.

Although I do like having the brickyard at center court.

Pig Nash
08-09-2012, 07:14 PM
I love the jerseys. Evokes the flojos without getting too crazy about it.

aero
08-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Really like it! Modern look with a classy mix of yester-year and today. Awesome job rel!

imbtyler
08-09-2012, 07:26 PM
I love everything about this concept. The jerseys look pretty sweet, the "indy" on the alternates is great. And since Eleazar mentioned it, I LOVE the brickyard at center court. However, the ONLY thing I don't like is that the stem of the P on the main logo looks too short. That's my only qualm with this concept. Otherwise, I love it. I would love to see a professional concept contest. The best of the best get sent to the Pacers FO, and we have new branding next year!

2minutes twoa
08-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Didn't even notice the bricks at mid court until you pointed it out!! Great idea!!

Sparhawk
08-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Really like the style of the jerseys.

If you are the same person, I love how you did the state outline and put it in place of the D on the court.

Love the state idea and the alternate logo that utilizes the state flag. Pretty badass!

Eat your heart out Jay-Z (although he did a great job with the Nets new logo...awesome).

Hicks
08-09-2012, 10:20 PM
I suppose instead of the alternate jerseys saying "INDY" they could just sport "IND" like Atanta's "ATL". That way it's more state-encompassing.

I like the bricks at center court.

beast23
08-09-2012, 10:34 PM
I suppose instead of the alternate jerseys saying "INDY" they could just sport "IND" like Atanta's "ATL". That way it's more state-encompassing.

I like the bricks at center court.

I'm with you. We are not the Indy Pacers or the Indianapolis Pacers, therefore the only representation I can go with is "Indiana". It was originally established that way and always maintained that way to promote statewide fandom and draw for the team. To change it now could alienate some of the fans that the team is attempting to bring into the fold.

HC
08-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Really like the style of the jerseys.

If you are the same person, I love how you did the state outline and put it in place of the D on the court.

Love the state idea and the alternate logo that utilizes the state flag. Pretty badass!

Eat your heart out Jay-Z (although he did a great job with the Nets new logo...awesome).

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I found the Nets logo to be rather plain and unimpressive.

Day-V
08-09-2012, 10:47 PM
I think people are missing the concept of the term "Alternate Jersey". I LOVE that the alternate says "INDY". It's something different. It's something we've never used before. It's something alternative to what would normally be seen throughout the year. It's a nod in some ways to the "Rip City" alternates that Portland wears from time to time.

I also like how it's a different design in general from the regular jerseys.

Love all the jerseys, but the Indy Alt is my favorite.

HC
08-09-2012, 11:08 PM
I think people are missing the concept of the term "Alternate Jersey". I LOVE that the alternate says "INDY". It's something different. It's something we've never used before. It's something alternative to what would normally be seen throughout the year. It's a nod in some ways to the "Rip City" alternates that Portland wears from time to time.

I also like how it's a different design in general from the regular jerseys.

Love all the jerseys, but the Indy Alt is my favorite.

Portland is the team name though, even though Rip City was just a phrase used during a telecast. The Pacers have always represented Indiana as a whole, not just Indianapolis. If they wanna come up with an alternate that represents the entire state, fine. Otherwise I personally don't care for it, but it really isn't that big of a deal either way.

pizza guy
08-09-2012, 11:37 PM
I had not noticed the Brickyard theme at mid-court either, but that is awesome.

The only thing I'm not hot on is "iP" tertiary logo. Not sure I see where it would ever be used.

As for using "iNDY" on the alternate, I think it's awesome. Sure the Pacers are meant to represent the whole state of Indiana, but every once in awhile, I don't see a problem in just highlighting the city they play in. Plus, with the jersey itself being modeled after an Indy Car, I think it's perfect. I didn't notice that either until rel pointed it out. Look at the design not on GHill3, and you can see the blue is the shape of an Indy Car. Using "iNDY" on that one is brilliant.

If these came out tomorrow, I'd buy all three jerseys. And, as long as it's cool, rel, I think I'd like to borrow them (and the state flag logo) for use as avatars?

ilive4sports
08-09-2012, 11:38 PM
If "fans" were alienated because they had an alternate jersey that said "Indy" instead of "Indiana", they arent fans to start with. Its not like by saying Indy on the jersey makes them the Indy Pacers. I like the idea of just an Indy on there for the alternate we will see a few games a year.

Day-V
08-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Portland is the team name though, even though Rip City was just a phrase used during a telecast. The Pacers have always represented Indiana as a whole, not just Indianapolis. If they wanna come up with an alternate that represents the entire state, fine. Otherwise I personally don't care for it, but it really isn't that big of a deal either way.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe Indiana Jones' nickname was "Indy".

ndcoltsnpacers
08-10-2012, 12:42 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe Indiana Jones' nickname was "Indy".
Yeah, but he was named after the dog, not the state.

ndcoltsnpacers
08-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Also, I think it's funny when people from other states refer to Indiana as Indy. It's like this:

Out of stater: "What part of Indy are you from?"
Me: "Northside"
Out of stater: "Up by Chicago?"
Me: "You idiot"

Day-V
08-10-2012, 12:47 AM
Yeah, but he was named after the dog, not the state.

Yes, but what do you think the dog was named after? lol

And what's so wrong with the Pacers identifying with Indianapolis in the first place? Yeah, Yeah, I get it "supposed to represent the entire state" and all that mumbo-jumbo. So does that mean that people in Greenwood, Carmel, Fishers, Brownsburg, etc are not represented by the Colts because they're simply the "Indianapolis" Colts? Aren't the Pacers located IN Indianapolis? Didn't they have "Indianapolis" painted on their court during the 90's at MSA? So WHAT if the jersey is making a reference only to Indianapolis? And besides, it still JUST says "Indy". Not "Indianapolis". It still has the "IND" in it, the basic root of the state that most NBA fans outside of here will immediately understand. And, again, IT'S AN ALTERNATE JERSEY.

I think people are getting too technical just for the sake of being too technical. While we're at it, let's bag on the Warriors for having the Golden Gate Bridge in their logo. That obviously represents only the Oakland/San Francisco area, when the team is "Golden State" implying the entire state of California. Let's also bag on the Pistons for calling themselves Detroit, even though their stadium is located in Auburn Hills. They don't make cars in Auburn Hills! They make them in Detroit! They shouldn't be called the Pistons! Blasphemy!

Steagles
08-10-2012, 11:20 AM
I doodled up a new home jersey just now in calculus at school (who needs calculus anyway???) and this is what I came up with. http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4c99c-282b-31ba.jpg

Sent from #ColtsNation using Tapatalk

imbtyler
08-10-2012, 01:38 PM
For what it's worth (nothing), I refer to Indiana as Indy a lot of the time. I love Portland's "Rip City" jerseys a lot, and I think that a nice alternate with "Indy" on it would sell really well.

Heisenberg
08-10-2012, 01:45 PM
You also forgot the 2"x2" advertisement

Gold
08-10-2012, 03:22 PM
The Indiana flag based logo is amazing. That's actually an awesome idea.

HC
08-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Yes, but what do you think the dog was named after? lol

And what's so wrong with the Pacers identifying with Indianapolis in the first place? Yeah, Yeah, I get it "supposed to represent the entire state" and all that mumbo-jumbo. So does that mean that people in Greenwood, Carmel, Fishers, Brownsburg, etc are not represented by the Colts because they're simply the "Indianapolis" Colts? Aren't the Pacers located IN Indianapolis? Didn't they have "Indianapolis" painted on their court during the 90's at MSA? So WHAT if the jersey is making a reference only to Indianapolis? And besides, it still JUST says "Indy". Not "Indianapolis". It still has the "IND" in it, the basic root of the state that most NBA fans outside of here will immediately understand. And, again, IT'S AN ALTERNATE JERSEY.

I think people are getting too technical just for the sake of being too technical. While we're at it, let's bag on the Warriors for having the Golden Gate Bridge in their logo. That obviously represents only the Oakland/San Francisco area, when the team is "Golden State" implying the entire state of California. Let's also bag on the Pistons for calling themselves Detroit, even though their stadium is located in Auburn Hills. They don't make cars in Auburn Hills! They make them in Detroit! They shouldn't be called the Pistons! Blasphemy!

Colts have never been called the Indiana Colts. I'm sure if the Pacers had always been the Indy Pacers then people wouldn't care, I just think it's the tradition. I said either way it wasn't a big deal to me, I just don't prefer it.

naptownmenace
08-10-2012, 06:07 PM
I like the layout and colors and new logo on the third uni that GHill is wearing, EXCEPT I'd take off the iNDY and replace it with INDIANA or PACERS. Nice work.

I love the GHill jersey. I especially love that it says Indy instead of Indiana. That would be a great alternate jersey and would probably be a big seller.

ilive4sports
08-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Colts have never been called the Indiana Colts. I'm sure if the Pacers had always been the Indy Pacers then people wouldn't care, I just think it's the tradition. I said either way it wasn't a big deal to me, I just don't prefer it.
but the Pacers would still be called the Indiana Pacers. It just says Indy on an alternate jersey...

mildlysane
08-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Can't wait to see the Illinois Bulls alts.....

just kiddin' ;)

cdash
08-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Man, I'm usually hyper critical when it comes to these things...but I have to say, this is really good. The state flag inspired logo is incredible. I didn't notice it until you pointed it out, but the Brickyard influence at midcourt is fantastic and subtle (as opposed to checkered flag ****). The jerseys look great, the court looks great--nice job. I really like it.

Question: Why the is the state flag logo kind of sideways? Sorry if it's been discussed.

pizza guy
08-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Man, I'm usually hyper critical when it comes to these things...but I have to say, this is really good. The state flag inspired logo is incredible. I didn't notice it until you pointed it out, but the Brickyard influence at midcourt is fantastic and subtle (as opposed to checkered flag ****). The jerseys look great, the court looks great--nice job. I really like it.

Question: Why the is the state flag logo kind of sideways? Sorry if it's been discussed.

I don't want to put words in the artist's mouth, but since he said he made the letters in the wordmarks to have an indication of motion, I'm guessing the desire was the same with the state flag logo. Having it slightly slanted like it is helps to give the basketball some shape and it sticks with the "forward motion" theme of the other elements. Just my best guess.

Ichi
08-12-2012, 12:39 PM
I like most things about this, and the alternate jersey is by far my favorite. The home and away are very nice as well. The state flag logo is sick, and like a few have noted, the primary logo is a bit short looking, but I wouldn't mind if these changes were made at all. Really nice job

Pacers
08-17-2012, 12:03 PM
A 2010s version of the FloJos would have me marking the hell out. Now I'm very angry at our current jerseys and wishing this were real. :(

Ghostface Millah
08-17-2012, 12:30 PM
The jerseys and court are amazing. I especially love the alternate even though I'm not originally from Indy.

King Tuts Tomb
08-17-2012, 08:27 PM
Love the alternate state flag logo. I would buy a Pacers t -shirt with that logo if I saw it in a store.

The only thing that feels off is the lowercase i for Indiana. People are so conditioned to using an uppercase letter on state names, they won't feel comfortable with that. It also evokes the iPhone/iMac brand a little too much. But that's a small critique. Overall excellent work!