PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me why ESPN and their ilk have flip flopped more than JFK?

Stryder
11-24-2004, 01:15 AM
Why has ESPN and the ilk that "report" there flip flopped on the fight?

The night of and the day after, ESPN had pro-Pacers coverage, now all they seem to want to do is put them down.

Hell, they even sent in the footage of Harrison punching the fan to the NBA to try to get him suspended.

And, when reporting about Ron Artest and his promotion of his album (which really isn't him), they fail to mention that he had the promotional visit scheduled way over a month ago.

Sometimes, ESPN makes me ill. I'm not asking for 100% Pro-Pacers coverage. I just want someone to point out and report the truth.

PS. JFK is John Forbes Kerry, not the original JFK.

Unclebuck
11-24-2004, 01:26 AM
I found that interesting as well. Friday night they were raging on the fans and somewhat sticking up for the pacer players. Sure anyone can change their opinion, but I think they decided to go with the flow on this one

Hoop
11-24-2004, 01:27 AM
ESPN has a contract with the NBA. Case solved.

NewType
11-24-2004, 01:29 AM
ESPN has a contract with the NBA. Case solved.

Exactly. Stern got pissed off at the ESPN crew after what they said Friday night and they are trying to mend the fence now.

Stryder
11-24-2004, 09:07 AM
Well, I got my answer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpcmc2NWVyBF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwNv ZQ--?slug=usatoday-espnbossmakesrightcalla&prov=usatoday&type=lgns

"A phone call from the boss can produce changes. Just ask ESPN's NBA studio announcers.

Criticism from ESPN executive vice president Mark Shapiro contributed to the announcers altering their stances and second-guessing their initial commentary on the brawl that occurred during Friday night's Indiana Pacers-Detroit Pistons game.

Shapiro called NBA Shootaround host John Saunders and analysts Stephen A. Smith, Tim Legler and Greg Anthony on Saturday after seeing replays of them criticizing the Detroit fans for tossing beverages and debris at the players but giving a pass to Ron Artest, Stephen Jackson and Jermaine O'Neal of the Pacers for going into the stands to attack fans.

"I wish the studio hadn't laid the blame solely on the backs of the fans Friday night," Shapiro said Tuesday. "In this instant-opinion culture, it's easy to make a knee-jerk reaction in the wrong way. But we're proud of the body of work over the entire weekend."

Pistons President Joe Dumars told The Detroit News for Tuesday's editions that the NBA had "read ESPN the riot act" over its coverage Friday night, but spokesmen Mike Soltys of ESPN and David Cooper of the NBA said Tuesday the league had not complained to the network.

Saunders at first called the fans "a bunch of punks" and said, "I don't blame the players for going into the stands." Legler, a former NBA player, said, "The blame should be put on the Detroit Piston fans."

Triggered partly by Shapiro's calls, the announcers later took on a more balanced tone.

Sunday, in his role as host of ESPN's The Sports Reporters, Saunders took a new stance.

"I got extremely emotional on Friday night ... and I reacted as someone who is a former athlete who had been in a situation like that before," he said, "so I'll clarify that there's no way the players should be going into the stands."

By phone Tuesday, Saunders added, "Had we had the amount of time other people were given more than once to view the scene, our take on it would have been more balanced. As host I should have taken the responsibility for taking on the players for going into the stands."

Said Legler: "I was focused initially on how it got triggered. I wasn't paying enough attention to the fact you can't go into the stands."

Said Anthony: "Some of our guys were wrong in what they said. But I'm on the team. I've got to take the blame because of what was said through emotion."

Smith, who usually boasts the toughest tongue, also was hard on himself.

"We all saw the cup flying into Ron Artest's face," Smith said. "Then I saw an elderly man lying on the floor and a kid crying. And I thought, 'My God, what was I thinking?' Regardless of how wrong the fans were, it was wrong of Artest to jump into the stands.

"I listened to Saunders, an older gentleman, allude to how a black person would take that. I understood the emotions of Anthony and Legler, both former players. But the most inexcusable culprit was me. What excuse did I have?"

Speaking about Shapiro's role in all of this, Saunders said: "Mark didn't want us to become the story. He was right. We should have had someone out there presenting the other perspective."

Fans tune out 'Monday Night' pregame short

A week after the furor over the Monday Night Football opening with Desperate Housewives star Nicollette Sheridan appearing with the Philadelphia Eagles' Terrell Owens, ABC vice president Mark Mandel said, "We showed the league the script for (Monday's short opening) and all of the decisions were our own." The rating for Monday night's telecast's first seven minutes declined 12% compared to last week.

ABC's 10.6 national rating for the New England-Kansas City game put the MNF rating at an 11.1 season average, down 4% from last year at this stage. Meanwhile, Desperate Housewives' 14.7 national rating for Sunday's show was its second highest of the season.

Postgame feasts

After Thursday's Indianapolis-Detroit NFL game, CBS' Phil Simms will give the game's stars samples of his mother's blackberry cobbler. Fox's Joe Buck says because "my mom can't cook," he plans to counter with "some Lean Cuisine" for standouts in the Chicago-Dallas game."

Ridiculous.

scar
11-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Nice to see Freedom of Speech once again violated. You can't diss the refs and you can't diss the fans that buy the tickets and pay to see the game, and you can't say something that goes against the great commissioner's opinion.

RWB
11-24-2004, 09:24 AM
It's gotten so bad everyone thinks they're an expert. I heard this on an Illinois radio station around Champaign/Urbana. Male and Female DJ talking about how the Pacers ruined basketball for all fans on Friday. Then the real kicker is the female says she has met many of the players personally and was invited by a friend to a birthday party of JO. She then says they (the Players) acted like jerks and she would never do that again because it was a dangerous situation if you know what I mean.....My problem with all this is if your going to make a stupid statement like that to the public then come out say it. Was she afraid she was going to be raped? They're young guys, did they ask for sex and that offended her? Or more than likely did she have the thought she could get her a young stud sugar daddy and know one wanted to play that game. Man this is why the Pacers are just getting hammered so bad.

McKeyFan
11-24-2004, 12:06 PM
I find it interesting that the ESPN analysts, with several minutes, maybe an hour or two to collect their thoughts and make a judgment, sided with Ron.

Now, several days later they are criticizing Ron so badly for making a split second decision to go into the stands.

This is all about the Almighty Dollar, IMO. Shame on all of them, especially Stephen Smith. He's no better than a hired gun defend anything despite the morals attorney.

indygeezer
11-24-2004, 12:58 PM
I find it interesting that the ESPN analysts, with several minutes, maybe an hour or two to collect their thoughts and make a judgment, sided with Ron.

Now, several days later they are criticizing Ron so badly for making a split second decision to go into the stands.

This is all about the Almighty Dollar, IMO. Shame on all of them, especially Stephen Smith. He's no better than a hired gun defend anything despite the morals attorney.

Yeah, I saw them the next day and I thought at the time they were saying what they were told to and looked sick doing it. (but that might be my personal bias there)

minusthebear
11-24-2004, 05:54 PM
tools. the sad part is it will never change.

Deadshot
11-25-2004, 09:09 PM
TNT seems like they are really supporting Artest tonight (mainly Barkley, but he is being very vocal). I wonder how long it will be before they get a call....