PDA

View Full Version : NBA.com Power Rankings (Aug 6, 2012)

MillerTime
08-07-2012, 03:15 PM
The Pacers were one of only four teams to rank in the top 10 in both offensive and defensive efficiency last season. There's no reason why they can't repeat that feat this year, and again make the conference semifinals. But Ian Mahinmi and Gerald Green aren't enough to say they're definitely No. 2 in the East.

They have us at 8

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/powerrankings/08/06/midsummer/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

AugustinGrangerHill
08-07-2012, 04:13 PM
I would rank us at 5th right now

Ace E.Anderson
08-07-2012, 04:17 PM
They have us at 8

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/powerrankings/08/06/midsummer/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

7th or 8th sounds about right. I do think we're above the grizzlies simply because they lost back-court shooting and scoring with the departure of OJ, while we added to our size and length both on the perimeter and in the post.

Shade
08-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Seems pretty fair to me.

I think Brooklyn is overrated, though.

Sparhawk
08-07-2012, 05:25 PM
If you remove Western Conference teams, he has the Pacers as 3rd best in the East. I say anywhere from 2-4 in the East for the Pacers.

RobRoy317
08-07-2012, 05:33 PM
If you remove Western Conference teams, he has the Pacers as 3rd best in the East. I say anywhere from 2-4 in the East for the Pacers.

You wouldn't have to remove teams from the West to determine where the Pacers lie in the East.

Dr. Awesome
08-07-2012, 05:45 PM
I think we are better than the Celtics at this point.

Shade
08-07-2012, 07:04 PM
I do too, but you can at least make a valid argument for Boston. Orlando may also be in the mix, depending on what happens with Howard.

I think we are better than the Celtics at this point.

Sparhawk
08-07-2012, 07:46 PM
You wouldn't have to remove teams from the West to determine where the Pacers lie in the East.

His list contains both Western and Eastern conference teams, so you do have to remove them, unless I'm missing something or you are just assuming that the Pacers should be a lock for 3rd.

I say it's a toss up between the Celts and Pacers for that 2nd spot. Celts have veteran leadership and the Pacers are young and hungry.

J7F
08-07-2012, 07:59 PM
I would rank us at 5th right now

I think we have the potential to be there...

We could finish ahead of BOS (best of these 3), MEM (worst bench in the L?), LAC (overhyped & defensively challenged)...

And then there's some behind us that have a shot at finishing above us... NYK (if they get their **** together) and BKN (if they can play any D)...

joew8302
08-07-2012, 10:18 PM
One thing I find interesting is that it seems many people thought our offseason moves were not good, yet think we are underrated at 8. Seems contradictory to me.

J7F
08-08-2012, 12:27 AM
One thing I find interesting is that it seems many people thought our offseason moves were not good, yet think we are underrated at 8. Seems contradictory to me.

More posters voted thumbs up for the offseason moves than thumbs down...

TheDavisBrothers
08-08-2012, 01:12 AM
The top 4 are pretty odvious. I'm fine with being ranked behind Boston (you have to respect them) and Memphis (with a healthy Randolph), but I don't like that the Clippers are ahead of us and in the top 5 at all...

Edit: Forgot about Chauncey Billups coming back from injury and he's huge for that team. So nevermind what I wrote above, I think the top 8 is about right with the Clippers at 5.

Pacerized
08-08-2012, 08:44 AM

Grading the off season moves for me is more about how well we did with what we had to work with, and that was poor. Our team would have been ranked this high with no changes. We should have been able to significantly improve with the amount of cap space and trading chips we had and I don't think we really did.

Sparhawk
08-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Grading the off season moves for me is more about how well we did with what we had to work with, and that was poor. Our team would have been ranked this high with no changes. We should have been able to significantly improve with the amount of cap space and trading chips we had and I don't think we really did.

I agree with you. The bench is a little better, and upgrading the bench was all that the Pacers needed to do. However, I think they could have done a much better job. Letting the market dictate Hill's salary would have been the smartest thing to do, and now it looks like they just over paid a bit. I understand dumping players, but giving DC up for nothing was just dumb. Not waiting for amnestied players was also a poor move. For a small market team, they should be looking for every opportunity to save. Amnestied players are just that. Granted, no one expected Scola to be amnestied, but that's what you get for not waiting.

I don't think Augustin is any better than DC. I do think Green was a fantastic signing though, and I also like the Ian signing. No more undersized C. To top it off, it looks like Lance will have a bigger role this season, and I really think we can get the same Lance who played in that Bulls game and in Summer League (avg 20 and 5!), but he better step it up on defense and reduce his turnovers.

So again, the bench is better than last seasons, but I definitely think it could have been better.

Now, getting Blatche for cheap would certainly help even more, especially if Hans continues to struggle. Who is going to play backup PF minutes if Hans struggles? I don't think Pends is any good and Plumlee is a rookie. Blatche would be a nice security blanket. Low risk, high reward. If he doesn't pan out, you don't really lose much. ;)

Heisenberg
08-08-2012, 09:16 AM

It's because people, this board specifically, underrate our starting 5 as a unit. Flukey, could crater with an injury yeah sure, but our starting 5 is really, really good. Every single player is at least average at his position, the 3 frontcourt spots are undeniably above average. Enough to win a title? No. But there aren't a lot of rosters that can say that their worst starter is just an average player at his position. That's a strength and a weakness I guess, keep winning awards training staff.

Ace E.Anderson
08-08-2012, 10:03 AM

After resigning Hill and Hibbert, we didn't have THAT much Cap-Space. Yes, we overpayed for Hill by about a mil a yr, but we had to get those guys re-signed. In Roy's case, had we not signed him, he would have signed POR's offer sheet and we would have had to sign him anyways.

We didn't have very many "trading chips" either..unless you were going to trade away a starter. Everyone has said we needed to improve our woeful bench, well if our bench wasn't that good, then why would anybody trade for a player from our bench? We had DC, and D.Jones' expiring contract. DC is a small but average PG, who has his strengths but isn't particularly a "floor general" and D. Jones is D.Jones. So I don't think we had very many trading chips either.

We could have done better, definitely. Like I said, I would have held out on G.Hill signing as long as possible to see if we could sign another scorer or serviceable big. All in all with what we had, we did pretty good at improving our bench, and keeping our starters together.

Ace E.Anderson
08-08-2012, 10:06 AM
The top 4 are pretty odvious. I'm fine with being ranked behind Boston (you have to respect them) and Memphis (with a healthy Randolph), but I don't like that the Clippers are ahead of us and in the top 5 at all...

Edit: Forgot about Chauncey Billups coming back from injury and he's huge for that team. So nevermind what I wrote above, I think the top 8 is about right with the Clippers at 5.

I actually think he's on his absolute last legs. He had an Achilles injury, and this was from someone that was already playing pretty poorly for the Clips last year (36% FG).

It's interesting that the clippers have slowly gone from a very young, inexperienced team to becoming an older team with the additions of Billups, Crawford, and Grant Hill to go along with Caron Butler.

Rogco
08-08-2012, 03:03 PM
More posters voted thumbs up for the offseason moves than thumbs down...

I was disappointed with our off-season moves (not that I thought they were awful, just blah) but apart from Brooklyn and Miami, no one else in the East did squat. Unfortunately I think we were a long way behind Miami last year, and even farther this year. And while I believe Chicago will be bad next year, they set themselves up to compete in the East once Rose get's back (two years).

Pacerized
08-08-2012, 04:50 PM
[QUOTE=Ace E.Anderson;1491598]After resigning Hill and Hibbert, we didn't have THAT much Cap-Space. Yes, we overpayed for Hill by about a mil a yr, but we had to get those guys re-signed. In Roy's case, had we not signed him, he would have signed POR's offer sheet and we would have had to sign him anyways.
QUOTE]

We did have the cap space if timing were managed right.
Signing our own free agents too soon was nothing less then mismanagement by our F.O. Hibbert was going to get the money anyway and so was Hill. I'm sure they would have rather returned to a better team if they knew that by waiting 1 week to sign it would give their team a chance to sign Scola.
We stood still in the offseason as far as where we rank among the top teams. I think a team that moved up from 12th. to 8th. had a better off season then a team that stood still.
Don't get me wrong, I'm still happy to be where we are versus where we were 3 years ago. We just could have been closer to contending for a title with the right offseason moves.