PDA

View Full Version : Is James Jones the player we hoped Bender could become?

Reggie4Three
11-24-2004, 12:16 AM
The stuff he's doing now is what I always thought Bender would eventually contribute, I mean once the short-lived fantasy of him become the next superstar wore off. I would go so far as to say that if somehow now the rest of our team were back, Bender would be expendable to beef up in the middle.

It's somewhat both ironic and fitting that now that we have the time to give to Bender, that we never had that much of before, he is injured and can't take advantage of it. I think it would be interesting to see him out there right now just playing and knowing that he can make some mistakes and stay out there. Oh well, I'm thrilled to be getting the production from Jones. He is not near as athletic, but he "gets it".

ABADays
11-24-2004, 12:19 AM
There is no question about it.

pb777
11-24-2004, 12:20 AM
He's not the athlete JB is, but the kid can shoot, rebound and play D. Also, he's taking this opportunity and doing something with it. If he stays healthy, who knows...

SoupIsGood
11-24-2004, 12:20 AM
There are very few players capable of becoming what many thought Bender could become.

However, James can fill the role that was expected of Bender this year.

I have officialy given up on Bender. Is anyone else still optimistic about this guys career?

ABADays
11-24-2004, 12:26 AM
I am optimistic about his career as a middle school coach.

recap
11-24-2004, 12:29 AM
For the past several years I have been dreaming of Bender's rise to stardom. Even a couple months ago, I thought that he would emerge as a starter this year and ultimately become the dominant force on the team. Since the start of the season I have given up though. If he can't play now he will never play. ALl he did was bang a knee in the preseason and now he is out for 6 weeks. If his right knee swells because he is favoring his left knee to the point that he can't play, Bender will never emerge as a star or even a quality player.

Vicious Tyrant
11-24-2004, 12:34 AM
In the sense that many of us lowered our expectations to think that Bender could someday be a serviceable NBA player, yes.

From what some of us dared to dream early on (and even recently), no.

PacerMan
11-24-2004, 12:41 AM
There are very few players capable of becoming what many thought Bender could become.

However, James can fill the role that was expected of Bender this year.

I have officialy given up on Bender. Is anyone else still optimistic about this guys career?

He's THENTY THREE years old!!!!!!

Bball
11-24-2004, 12:43 AM
but the kid can shoot, rebound and play D. Also, he's taking this opportunity and doing something with it.

Welp.... that beats Bender....

-Bball

PacerMan
11-24-2004, 12:56 AM
James Jones is 3 months OLDER than Jonathon Bender.

Vicious Tyrant
11-24-2004, 12:59 AM
Keep it up Pacer Man!

Seriously!

I would love to find a reason to keep hoping for this guy, but hope seems distant at this point. Keep it up, give us a reason to believe.

Was it over when the French beat the Alamo? NO!

3Ball
11-24-2004, 01:25 AM
You know, I think it's time to set all this anger at Bender aside. Very few players end up stars, and we should never EXPECT a player to become a superstar. If we look at this year as an 82 game pre-season, where our reserves get to try to emerge, then there's really no reason to be angry with Bender. He's not helping the team, but as things stand, he's not hurting us either. Just let it go. I hope he gets his chance later this season, but there's certainly NO reason to rush him back now.

ABADays
11-24-2004, 10:14 AM
He's THENTY THREE years old!!!!!!

And to quote Casey Stengel "In 10 years he has a chance to be 33"

Hicks
11-24-2004, 11:20 AM
Only if you lowered your expectations, has JJ becomes what you hoped Bender would become. What I hoped Bender would become is a lot better than JJ. So no. JJ is playing great though.

McKeyFan
11-24-2004, 11:28 AM
JJ already shows he has what Bender will never have, IMO. He's clutch. There's no deer in the headlights.

We've been round and round on the board over this, but being savvy and clutch is not teachable. You either got it or you don't.

Forget the injuries and the athletic talent. JJ is better than Bender.

Reggie4Three
11-24-2004, 01:50 PM
Only if you lowered your expectations, has JJ becomes what you hoped Bender would become. What I hoped Bender would become is a lot better than JJ. So no. JJ is playing great though.

I did say that I had given up on the fantasy of Bender becoming a superstar awhile ago. IMO, those hopes were unrealistic since about the season after he signed his extension.

Dukins
11-24-2004, 02:10 PM
I dont think so. The way the Pacers brass and the reporters beat my head in that Bender would be this superstar player, I thought he would be damn near as good as MJ. I think James Jones is going to be a great player, but if bender *ahem* can stay Healthy :banghead: i do think that he as a chance to be a great player in this league

Bball
11-24-2004, 02:41 PM
Has anyone considered a lot of the Bender hype is because he replaced a popular player who has since made the All-Star team and had a solid NBA career?

I bet the reality is that the franchise lowered their expectations long ago. That doesn't mean they didn't think he could contribute in a small way. But for fear of tipping the fanbase off to what a wasted trade and draft pick this has been they've allowed the hype to live on its own.

I realize this is only 2 games for James Jones but what I've seen in the those two games is the type of thing you expect from a player who 'gets it'. The ability to look cool under pressure...or at least like he belongs on the floor at all times. The ability to rise to the moment rather than become a deer in the headlights.

It's not just about dunking the ball a couple of times or sticking a couple of 3's.

-Bball

Snickers
11-24-2004, 02:55 PM
James Jones is a lot like Bender without the [healthy] athleticism, and without the timidness and/or failure to know what the heck he's doing on the court. It really would be good for Jon to be ready to play now, but I think James will take advantage of the opportunity.

I guess I have a reason to bother watching these next 23 games now.

I will now return to my hole.

3Ball
11-24-2004, 04:23 PM
I just realized that between them, Tins, JJ and Freddie pulled down 24 rebounds last night. Holy Moses!