PDA

View Full Version : Solution for both franchises? (Mike Wilbon Idea)

Hicks
02-12-2004, 10:38 PM
He mentioned this on PTI, and it turns out the salaries match up beautifully:

L.A. Lakers trades: SG Kobe Bryant (21.5 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 4.3 apg in 36.4 minutes)
L.A. Lakers receives: SG Allen Iverson (27.4 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 6.3 apg in 42.7 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +5.9 ppg, -0.7 rpg, and +2.0 apg.

Philadelphia trades: SG Allen Iverson (27.4 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 6.3 apg in 42.7 minutes)
Philadelphia receives: SG Kobe Bryant (21.5 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 4.3 apg in 36 games)
Change in team outlook: -5.9 ppg, +0.7 rpg, and -2.0 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to L.A. Lakers and Philadelphia being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. L.A. Lakers and Philadelphia had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Why do they do it?

LA is losing Kobe even if he isn't convicted. It's becoming pretty obvious that's a strong possibility.

If they see the writing on the wall, Iverson is a hell of a parting gift.

Flip-side: Philly's looking to make changes, their GM has recently said even Iverson may not be untouchable these days, and the owners frown on that because of AI putting butts in the seats. Well guess what? Kobe would put butts in the seat too, while giving the Sixers a new identity.

I think it's a decent idea.

Anthem
02-12-2004, 10:45 PM
Kobe would put butts in the seat too, while giving the Sixers a new identity.

I thought Philly HATED Kobe? Don't they generally boo him?

Natston
02-12-2004, 10:48 PM

Philly fans boo everyone... :D

dipperdunk
02-12-2004, 10:55 PM
From a basketball standpoint it would be a good trade for both teams. Shaq loves Iverson whenever the Sixers and Lakers meet hes always gushing praise toward AI. And Kobe is way younger then Iverson so that would benefit the 76ers. But the image of Kobe in a 76ers uniform would make my stomach turn; I would find it extremely difficult to like the 76ers with Kobe on the squad.Plus, even with Kobe the 76ers supporting cast has become so bad that they would still be a bad team but it would be easier to rebuild with Kobe because hes much younger then Iverson.

Also I'm not too sure about the seats being filled with Kobe on the sixers there is a strong dislike for him in Philly despite the fact that he spent some of his childhood in the area.

Iverson and Shaq together would be a nightmare for opposing defenses because Iverson can create so much havoc with his penetration and you wouldn't be able to leave Shaq to help when Iverson penetrates.

Anthem
02-12-2004, 10:59 PM
Also I'm not too sure about the seats being filled with Kobe on the sixers there is a strong dislike for him in Philly despite the fact that he spent some of his childhood in the area.

Didn't they make him cry at the all-star game a few years ago?

dipperdunk
02-12-2004, 11:16 PM

Didn't they make him cry at the all-star game a few years ago?

I don't think he cried but he was a little emotional he was heckled when accepting the MVP trophy. I think Philly kind of got a bad rap in that whole situation because out of the 20,000 fans there was only a small percentage of Philly fans at that game most of the others were from around the country. Comcast was really upset with the league because they had many complaints from long time 76ers season ticket holders that couldn't get tickets for that game because the NBA restricted the amount of tickets to 76ers fan to a small amount so it was actually a national crowd. But the media heard all the booing and just ran with it as a low class act in Philly etc.,, not letting the facts get in the way of a juicy story but Kobe isn't well recieved in Philly. But I don't think Kobe is liked nationally either; would you guys want Kobe on the Pacers? I mean if the salaries matched up etc,,, would you be willing to trade Artest for Kobe or would the thought of Kobe in a Pacers uniform make you guys nauseous as well? :laugh:

Hicks
02-12-2004, 11:31 PM

They won't when he's wearing their uniform.

UCmaroons
02-12-2004, 11:32 PM
People from Philly hate everyone, but they especially hate:
Kobe Bryant, Joe Carter, Scott Rolen, Eric Lindross, The Barber Twins, Warren Sapp, Curt Schilling (though this has died down a bit in the past offseason) Kobe to Philly would be awesome just to see my roommate's(from Philly) reaction.

By the way, I would jump on a Kobe for Artest trade, after the trial of course. Nothing would stop us from winning the title if we added Kobe. I'm not even a Kobe fan.

Cactus Jax
02-12-2004, 11:40 PM
As much as I love Artest, and dislike Kobe, if he's innocent then I do the deal with an extension of his contract of course. Kobe's no slouch on defense and Harrington would fill in pretty well for Artest at the 3. It's too good to pass up talent wise, especially if the Pacers give Cro to the Lakers as well.

MSA2CF
04-03-2004, 07:50 AM
I like that trade...or Vince Carter for Allen Iverson?

Anthem
04-04-2004, 03:03 AM
That's funny. When I read the first post I thought "Wow, we had a post just like this months ago." Then I saw my name.

Is there a reason this thread got bumped?