PDA

View Full Version : Weather question: when did Indiana become Texas

Unclebuck
07-17-2012, 03:48 PM
I must admit I've never been to Texas, but this is how I imagine the weather. Every day high above 90 degrees. Where a high of 92 is a cool down. Where we don't get any rain - don't bother looking at the forecast - it isn't going to rain.

Thank God for A/C, otherwise I would move I really would.

SycamoreKen
07-17-2012, 09:24 PM
It has been raining down here all week.

pacer4ever
07-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Ya I have withdrew from my remaining Golf tourneys for the Summer I just cant play in heat(I have seizures and the heat or my body overheating makes me have them). Really bad summer for me just when my game was coming along we turned into FL in the Summer just sucks especially for farmers. I normally practice 3-8hrs a day when the weather is in the 80s but I cant do much more than a half hour in this heat.

It did rain here for the first time in 2 months and it rained pretty good.

jeffg-body
07-17-2012, 11:53 PM
It reminds me more of Mogadishu Somalia. Triple degree highs with high humidity. I spend 10 minutes outside doing minor yardwork and I am soaked. I hope it cools down before Friday a little bit. I have to work and we should be guaranteed to have at least one battery to change or some wiper blades.

SycamoreKen
07-18-2012, 12:49 AM
We don't have the humidity here in San Antonio and further west. We were in Houston last month and it was like being back in Indiana it was so humid.

Kegboy
07-18-2012, 01:52 PM
The worst humidity I've ever experienced was in San Cristobal, Venezula. The 2nd through 5th worst were all in Houston, Texas.

graphic-er
07-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Global Warming. Deny it if you want to.

RWB
07-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Gents, remember to hydrate when your out in these oven conditions. Also make sure you're doing the Gatorade or Powerade stuff and not just water. After working 12 years of football camps that is one of the things that really has stuck in my head.

indygeezer
07-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Gents, remember to hydrate when your out in these oven conditions. Also make sure you're doing the Gatorade or Powerade stuff and not just water. After working 12 years of football camps that is one of the things that really has stuck in my head.

Really???

rained a half inch Sunday evening and another inch yesterday. They stayed up working on my roof until the lightening was popping straight down in my neighborhood and then they went right back up there after the rain slowed. If I'd known that me putting a new roof on would cause it to rain I would have contracted the job weeks ago.

RWB
07-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Really???

For you I'm sure water is just fine. :devil:

indygeezer
07-18-2012, 02:56 PM
I like water just fine...in it's frozen state, and with bourbon splashed over it.

But after 12 years that's all you remember?

RWB
07-18-2012, 03:05 PM
I like water just fine...in it's frozen state, and with bourbon splashed over it.
But after 12 years that's all you remember?

Yeah, that's one of those I think a trip to the hospital may be in order times. Had a headache for two days and threw up solid for a day. Even the mighty 18 looked at me and said "Hey, you ok"? I didn't realize how bad I was until later in the evening.

indygeezer
07-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Did he tell you to rub dirt on it?

RWB
07-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Damn funny Geez. Nah, more like giving the death stare when the adults got too pushy.

jeffg-body
07-18-2012, 03:26 PM
First part of the end of the world prediction- Extreme weather and crops failing. Next will be a food shortage for nations that are already are in crisis. It will lead to an increased amout of deadly viruses and other illnesses killing massive amounts of people in 3rd world contries. In other more developed countries food shortages will be followed with price gouging for food and water. There may be a war started over food and water. The weather will continue to become more and more extreme and will claim the lives of countless people.

Bball
07-18-2012, 03:42 PM

The problem I have is figuring out why when we set these weather records, or match them, or approach them there are so many that are 100 year's old. Shouldn't the records all be only a few year's old if not just month's old to draw parallels with global warming?

That, and it's 'global warming' during heat waves and 'climate change' during cold spells, ice storms, and snow storms.... :confused:

But... yeah... It's hot...

indygeezer
07-18-2012, 04:02 PM

Why thank you. Yes, I believe I will.

BRushWithDeath
07-18-2012, 04:13 PM

It's been this hot and dry before. It'll be this hot and dry again. We'll also have a cold and wet summer again soon. At that point will we be experiencing global cooling?

Unclebuck
07-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Lets be sure this doesn't turn political.

It never rains where I live, but then again we don't have a water ban, so maybe there is some justice there.

Amazingly, to me at least, we have not dropped below 70 degrees for overnight lows in 21 days - breaking a 1921 record.

ilive4sports
07-18-2012, 06:13 PM
mmmmm California

OlBlu
07-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Why thank you. Yes, I believe I will.

Of course. Welcome to Indiana..... If the ground caught on fire, they would deny global warming. The rest of the world trumps you conservatives. There is global warming and humans are causing it....:cool:

grace
07-18-2012, 07:09 PM
There is global warming and humans are causing it....:cool:

And here I thought it was caused by manure from dairy cattle. :shrug:

Bball
07-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Has anyone checked to see how the temps and weather is doing in Denver? I'm working on a theory.....

;)

Major Cold
07-18-2012, 10:35 PM
Of course. Welcome to Indiana..... If the ground caught on fire, they would deny global warming. The rest of the world trumps you conservatives. There is global warming and humans are causing it....:cool:
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/23667290.jpg

indygeezer
07-18-2012, 10:51 PM
You may never have heard my little speach OlBlu so here goes.

I worked 40 years in research for a major pharmaceutical company located in Indy. Had I or one of my coharts massaged data the way the scientists did in East Anglia, we would have been fined and/or imprisoned. The company would have been fined 100's of millions of dollars and possibly been handed a poison pill order essentially telling us to cease business. Every scrap of data we ever turned over to the government or published would have been scrutinized and the data supporting each and every one of our products would have been re-evaluated. Yet, nothing has happend to those scientist and their data is still being used in other publications supporting the concept of Global Warming. (note: they have been humiliated by this exposure so I guess they have suffered some)
Not to mention that 25 years ago it was global cooling they fretted over.

BTW...if you really believe this myth, why do you drive around in a motorhome? If the government really believes in greenhouse emissions, why do they allow the destruction of even one tree? Oh, and I drive a Prius (it's being conservative....I'm living within my budget).

{Edit....sorry, this rant belongs in the Star Editorial page not on a Sports Blog}

graphic-er
07-18-2012, 11:52 PM
The problem I have is figuring out why when we set these weather records, or match them, or approach them there are so many that are 100 year's old. Shouldn't the records all be only a few year's old if not just month's old to draw parallels with global warming?

That, and it's 'global warming' during heat waves and 'climate change' during cold spells, ice storms, and snow storms.... :confused:

But... yeah... It's hot...

Well for one thing Global Warming is an ill-defined term at this point. What it really means is that as the overall warming of the atmosphere introduces excess moisture
into our climate. Which in turn leads to more extreme weather events. So dry months turn in to droughts, wet months leads to excessive rain and flooding.

We had a very mild winter last year but with lots of moisture with rain and snow. But it was not cold enough for the snow to stick. I'm looking for the same pattern this year.

cdash
07-18-2012, 11:54 PM
mmmmm California

ehhhh Sacramento :devil:

graphic-er
07-18-2012, 11:55 PM
It's been this hot and dry before. It'll be this hot and dry again. We'll also have a cold and wet summer again soon. At that point will we be experiencing global cooling?

No you be experiencing the cyclical nature of El Nino and La Nina. Which most of the US is affected by and thus easily like to deny the idea of Global Warming and Climate change.

ilive4sports
07-19-2012, 01:22 AM
ehhhh Sacramento :devil:
better than Wilkes-Barre PA thats for sure (where i grew up lol)

Merz
07-19-2012, 05:48 AM
I just moved from Northern Indiana to about an hour west of Seattle 2 weeks ago. It was 105 my last day in Indiana, it hasn't been over 85 here in Washington since I moved. Not that anyone cares...but yeah...good move so far.

Sollozzo
07-19-2012, 08:01 AM
2012 has just been an extremely warm year overall. It was great in the winter when we had days in the 50's during Super Bowl week. I don't think we had a significant amount of snow all year which is almost unheard of for Indy. Most days were well above freezing. Then at the end of March you had a bunch of days in the 80's. That has turned into days in the 90's/100's in the summer.

UB, where would you move to? Virtually the entire country has been an inferno lately. Even Minneapolis has been having a bunch of brutal days in the mid to upper 90's. The only large safe places that I can think of are cities on the Pacific coast like LA, SF, and Seattle.

indygeezer
07-19-2012, 08:39 AM
We have rec'd 2.5 inches of rain at my place since Sunday evening. I'm in far western Hancock County.

BRushWithDeath
07-19-2012, 08:49 AM
No you be experiencing the cyclical nature of El Nino and La Nina. Which most of the US is affected by and thus easily like to deny the idea of Global Warming and Climate change.

We'll just be experiencing the cyclical nature of weather! Weather changes. Sometimes it's warm. Sometimes it's cold. It's been that way millions of years. Did people cause the ice age? No. It was just cyclical weather. We'll have another one of those eventually too. I suppose global warming is true in the sense that we've been in a state of global warming since the last ice age ended. But it isn't due to us.

Unclebuck
07-19-2012, 08:49 AM
UB, where would you move to? Virtually the entire country has been an inferno lately. Even Minneapolis has been having a bunch of brutal days in the mid to upper 90's. The only large safe places that I can think of are cities on the Pacific coast like LA, SF, and Seattle.

Me and the Pacers are moving to Seattle. Never minded a little rain, in fact I love a rainy day.

No rain where I live last night. it got close though.

edit - raining right now though.

Mackey_Rose
07-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Me and the Pacers are moving to Seattle. Never minded a little rain, in fact I love a rainy day.

As someone who has actually lived in the Pacific Northwest, it's not just a little rain.

It's a constant, steady rain for about 8 months straight. Enjoy!

travmil
07-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Let me take this opportunity to offer the patented Facebook response anytime anyone posts a comment about any weather ever!

You pussies are complaining about heat while our soldiers are carrying 75 lbs of gear in 140 degree heat in Iraq? Go back to your air conditioning you ungrateful heathens. Shame on YOU!!!!

hoosierguy
07-19-2012, 07:58 PM

Well, a few minutes of research would answer this question if you took some initiative and tried to educate yourself on the most important matter of our time. What we are experiencing is climate change brought about by an average increase in air temperatures as a result of rapidly increasing carbon dioxide atmospheric concentrations. That does not mean it is going to be hot all the time or that there won't be cold days.

hoosierguy
07-19-2012, 08:09 PM
We'll just be experiencing the cyclical nature of weather! Weather changes. Sometimes it's warm. Sometimes it's cold. It's been that way millions of years. Did people cause the ice age? No. It was just cyclical weather. We'll have another one of those eventually too. I suppose global warming is true in the sense that we've been in a state of global warming since the last ice age ended. But it isn't due to us.

Wow, so you are a climate scientist then? How many years have you been studying this matter? Where have you drilled for ice core samples to gain direct knowledge of historical atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations?

Give me a break. I'll defer to the PhDs with DECADES of intense study on climate that overwhelmingly (99.99%) conclude that mankind is responsible for the climate change this planet is experiencing. Atmospheric CO2 concentration is about to surpass 400 ppm- CO2 is a well known greenhouse gas. How did it get to be so high? Not by any natural occurrence that's for sure. It is due to coal burning power plant and vehicle emissions combined with massive deforestation that reduces the amount of CO2 the planet can absorb. Ocean acidity has increased at alarming rates (because CO2 forms carbonic acid when it mixes with water) jeopardizing the existence of vitally important coral reef systems. Are you going to say that natural factors caused this?

hoosierguy
07-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Not to mention that 25 years ago it was global cooling they fretted over.

BTW...if you really believe this myth, why do you drive around in a motorhome? If the government really believes in greenhouse emissions, why do they allow the destruction of even one tree? Oh, and I drive a Prius (it's being conservative....I'm living within my budget).

{Edit....sorry, this rant belongs in the Star Editorial page not on a Sports Blog}

Prepare to have your mind blown.

Global cooling was a fringe concern and represented a tiny portion of the scientific opinion on the direction of the Earth's climate. Yet somehow climate deniers think global cooling was the dominant opinion in the scientific community. Nothing could be further from the truth. And most global cooling conjectures were based on the consequences of mass emissions of aerosols, which block sunlight and were much more highly used in the mid century than they are today.

The significant majority of CO2 emissions come from coal burning power plants, not vehicles.

Greenhouse emissions are not a matter of belief- the increasing concentration of atmospheric CO2 is not DEBATABLE. Since when does the federal government have control over the fate of every tree in the country? You can't be this naive.

The Climategate matter to which your refer was a completely hyped and blown out of proportion matter that was only given legs by right wing politicians and climate skeptics. All inquiries into the matter found no falsification of data or misrepresentation of results. Case closed.

joew8302
07-20-2012, 01:13 AM
Well at least this simple thread about the weather has not turned political.

SycamoreKen
07-20-2012, 02:43 AM
I can't believe it isn't locked. Oh wait, Hicks has been gone.

If any of you miss the cutting of grass that is a byproduct of rain, please feel free to come down and cut mine. :mad:

Peck
07-20-2012, 04:29 AM
I can't believe it isn't locked. Oh wait, Hicks has been gone.

If any of you miss the cutting of grass that is a byproduct of rain, please feel free to come down and cut mine. :mad:

Were watching it, but as long as we can keep people from calling people names or declaring them to be void of intelligence we should be ok.

Mackey_Rose
07-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Were watching it, but as long as we can keep people from calling people names or declaring them to be void of intelligence we should be ok.

Peck,

If I may, what is the problem with discussing politics in this kind of general topic forum? Isn't that what it's for?

RWB
07-20-2012, 09:47 AM
They've tried it before Mackey and it get's way too personal.

Shade
07-20-2012, 10:49 AM
They've tried it before Mackey and it get's way too personal.

This. Nothing makes tempers flare like politics/religion.

Major Cold
07-20-2012, 11:01 AM

JERK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But really. Information is created, sold, and distributed to make someone else rich. I will not adhere to anything an expert says on anything that effects billions when they get grants from gov'ts and political parties. Zionists want to protect Israel because of the 2nd coming, while protecting the unprotected becomes a side note. Bills are passed less for people and more for propaganda and $$$$$. And that is on both sides of the aisle. Color me Red, or Blue, or Red-White and Blue, but I grow tired of the same fruitless discussions of what might happen. Its time to invest in your local community. I chose to not make points, but make a difference.

indygeezer
07-20-2012, 12:26 PM
Link please.

Having been in research all of my life, when a scientist tells me something is NOT DEBATEABLE I immediately start questioning everything the person touches. Everything is debateable or you aren't a scientist you are a lemming.
Yes, the government could restrict or control the destruction of even 1 tree if they so chose. They control almost everything we do by one means or another.
And all believers have tried to minimalize the impact of the admitedly falsified data but I tell you, if I had done that, every scrap of research I had been involved in EVER would have been called into question for reverification/validation. I would never be able to work again.

NOTE>>>>> I just read the posts regarding politics. I will make no further comment on this topic, my feelings are well known. I aplogize if I took the thread off course.

Sandman21
07-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Peck,

If I may, what is the problem with discussing politics in this kind of general topic forum? Isn't that what it's for?

Trust me, you do NOT want to see politics in a general topic forum. I still have nightmares from when I was a forum moderator.... So much mudslinging...

Mr.ThunderMakeR
07-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Were having one of the mildest and wettest summers I can remember in a long time here in Phoenix. Monsoon season, which is when we get a massive, though short-lived thunderstorm almost every afternoon, has been going for about a month now. Usually we don't get that type of weather until late August. At this point of the year, its usually 110+ with no rain for 2 months. This was after a winter where we got almost no rain, which is the opposite of normal. Strange friggin' weather this year.

OlBlu
07-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Prepare to have your mind blown.

Global cooling was a fringe concern and represented a tiny portion of the scientific opinion on the direction of the Earth's climate. Yet somehow climate deniers think global cooling was the dominant opinion in the scientific community. Nothing could be further from the truth. And most global cooling conjectures were based on the consequences of mass emissions of aerosols, which block sunlight and were much more highly used in the mid century than they are today.

The significant majority of CO2 emissions come from coal burning power plants, not vehicles.

Greenhouse emissions are not a matter of belief- the increasing concentration of atmospheric CO2 is not DEBATABLE. Since when does the federal government have control over the fate of every tree in the country? You can't be this naive.

The Climategate matter to which your refer was a completely hyped and blown out of proportion matter that was only given legs by right wing politicians and climate skeptics. All inquiries into the matter found no falsification of data or misrepresentation of results. Case closed.

Wow. Great post. I mean it really is. Thank you.....:cool:

Natston
07-20-2012, 09:47 PM
http://www.cracked.com/article_18563_6-global-warming-side-effects-that-are-sort-awesome.html

indygeezer
07-21-2012, 04:41 PM
http://www.cracked.com/article_18563_6-global-warming-side-effects-that-are-sort-awesome.html

And this is why I have been doing these four things:

1) Buying up land in southern Indiana. You wanna buy beach front property? You gotta get it from me, I own it all......or will. (Hey Florida, you've had it good for long enough, it's OUR TURN now!!)
2) Am investing in Carrier Corp. makers of home and commercial air conditioners.
3) Purchasing Polar Ice Company
4) Preparing a lawsuit with my team of lawyers to sue the pants off you eco-maniacs that want to stop this trend and thwart my money making ideas.

Will Galen
07-29-2012, 06:13 PM

Not to derail a weather thread, for basketball, (grin) but would you move to Seattle if the Pacers did?

Unclebuck
07-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Not to derail a weather thread, for basketball, (grin) but would you move to Seattle if the Pacers did?

Not sure, maybe. That is one of those things that is easy to say, sure I would, but whether I actually would I don't know. But my sister lived there for a few years and I know what the weather is like and I would really like it. Traffic and cost of living has gotten pretty bad though

Sollozzo
07-30-2012, 10:00 PM
I can live with the inferno summers. It's the brutal winters that kill me. If every winter were like last winter then I wouldn't complain at all about the Indy climate.

jeffg-body
08-02-2012, 11:47 PM
I didn't think it was too bad today, until I went out in the afternoon heat and replaced a battery. The pneumonia doesn't help much either. I was pouring sweat and sucking wind.

Pig Nash
08-03-2012, 02:41 PM
I hate the heat and don't mind the cold. I can only take so many layers off, can always warm up though.