PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Players

Los Angeles
11-23-2004, 02:50 PM
Never posted here before, though I've been reading PD for quite a while. It's hard to find Pacer people out here, so I appreciate the forum.

In yesterday's conferences Donnie Walsh mentioned that he would be interested in "bringing some guys in." A lot of talk has been going around about bringing in one or more recently retired ringers to replace the suspended players. I don't think that's realistic. Fact is, SJ and JO will be back in 2 months, so why would a big name come out of retirement if they are not going to keep a spot through the playoffs? We really only have one spot open for the rest of the season (Artest's).

Which leads us here: what forwards are available on the market, and who would be your pick?
-or-
Should we stick with the skeleton crew we have, and play - and even lose, if that's what happens - with the heart and heroics we saw on Saturday?

My two cents: If Foster, Pollard and Harrison are all healthy, I say start 2 out of three in the C and PF positions, move Croshere to SF, Freddie at SG and Tins at PG. If we can't be better than other teams, we can at least be bigger.

flying dutchman
11-23-2004, 03:03 PM
Maybe we should try Dennis Rodman ;-)

Shade
11-23-2004, 03:06 PM
There's no real reason not to pick up replacement players to fill in. We may even find a hidden gem in there somewhere.

Expect some guys from the summer league roster to be brought in.

Los Angeles
11-23-2004, 03:11 PM
Sure, some young, healthy guys could get some minutes and help us at least pactice 5 on 5. I guess I was talking about the ringer situation - any upper tier players (other than the Original 91, of course)?

Shade
11-23-2004, 03:16 PM
Sure, some young, healthy guys could get some minutes and help us at least pactice 5 on 5. I guess I was talking about the ringer situation - any upper tier players (other than the Original 91, of course)?

Jordan, Malone...maybe even Zo if the Nets buy him out.

Slick Pinkham
11-23-2004, 03:19 PM
There had been talk of Zo and/or Glenn Robinson taking a buyout, but I bet that Philly or NJ will never allow that now, since it would help the Pacers.

sweabs
11-23-2004, 03:46 PM
I would not be interested in playing Croshere at the 3-spot.

I'd rather pick up a guy like Holcomb. Or of course, wait for Artest :devil:

Natston
11-23-2004, 04:00 PM
I want some guys that are hungry to play and we buy into the "us against Stern and the league" theme we have going. The last thing I want is some vet who will come just for a paycheck.

Skaut_Ech
11-23-2004, 04:06 PM
From media speculation, some names coming up were Desmon Farmer, Michael Curry, Gary Trent and Rashad Wright.

The one man I'd like to see is Desmon. He's 6'5 and a scorer, but he built a rep as a strong defender along with being an explosive scorer. I'm trying to remember if it was summer league play or something else, but I remembered Desmon's name being mentioned quite a bit as being a standout player. Seeing as how he almost made the team already and knows the system, to an extent, he makes a lot of sense to me.

Giving him a non-guaranteed contract gives him incentive to play hard and showcase himself for another team if he can't stick with us. The biggest problem position for us is SG right now.

We supposedly kept John Edwards for big man depth...then we don't play him last game. What the hell is that? If we REALLY think Edwards is worth keeping, then we should PLAY HIM! That being said, we have Austin, Edwards, Pollard and Harrison down low. Hopefully we can rotate them through the PF, C positions.

That leaves only James Jones to man the SF spot and Fred the SG. I think we can compete with both of those guys at starter, especially James Jones, who I think might just be a FAR better player than a lot of us think.

Curry would be a stablilizing, veteran presence, but he always irritated me that he can be on the floor for 30 minutes and barely put up a stat. He was always refered to as kind of a poor man's Derrick McKey, in that he does the intangibles, but I hope we don't get him. Although in Donnie's eyes, that would be a conservative, low risk move on a low risk conservative player.

Trent was deemed lockeroom poison for his attitude, so "nuff said there.

I'm hoping, nd thinking, we get a low cost newbie with something to prove at the G/PG spot and a veteran guy who can play both F positions.

There's quite a few guys who I think would, and could be viable candidate becasue they want to showcase their game in order to get picked up by somebody.

Lonny Baxter is a bruiser/banger type who's in the NBDL right now, but far as I'm concerned, should be playing for someone.

Darrick Martin could be a good guy, too. He can score and is a decent PG.

One last, and you may laugh, but Oliver Miller. He did a pretty good job for the Wolves last year. He's a good passer and blocks shots and I'm sure would work his butt off for a chance to get back to the NBA. Matter of fact, I wonder that he wouldn't be a low cost keeper if we could work it right.

sweabs
11-23-2004, 04:10 PM
I think David Harrison is better than Lonny Baxter.

As for Michael Curry - Kevin O'Neil is probably his biggest fan. As soon as he got the head coaching job in Toronto - the first guy he wanted was Michael Curry. I'm sorry - but I don't think I want to see him in a Pacers uniform.

Skaut_Ech
11-23-2004, 04:15 PM
I didn't say anything about who's better, Harrison or Baxter. We're talking about bolstering the roster and I think Baxter is a good player who hasn't had a chance at a good place to play.

And as I said, I don't want Curry, either.

indygeezer
11-23-2004, 04:21 PM
No Curry. I worry that the injury bug may just continue this year. Especially Jelly Bean. Now if he comes back..okay...otherwise we need help.

Blizz
11-23-2004, 04:24 PM
I wish Zo could be here. But it appear to me Nets won't buyout his contract right now.

Los Angeles
11-23-2004, 04:32 PM
No Curry. I worry that the injury bug may just continue this year. Especially Jelly Bean. Now if he comes back..okay...otherwise we need help.
I don't want to get too off subject, but I wouldn't count on any help from Bender for quite a while. He's never shown the resilience needed to compete in the NBA, and I fear he never will.

I will recind my Croshere at the three spot comment from earlier, we need someone who is a faster defender there.

I think Harrison shows tremendous promise at Center, and feel he deserves the opportunity to start. He's also young enough to adapt well to the conditioning and minutes. I also know that Foster is a capable PF and can switch between the two positions. We need a scoring AND defending SF/SG who isn't currently in the game. Young or old, we have a big hole to fill.

NewType
11-23-2004, 05:41 PM
We can use a backup PF, Holcomb or Lonney Baxter would be fine.

Slick Pinkham
11-23-2004, 05:46 PM
complete list:

http://www.hoopshype.com/free_agency.htm

Donnell Harvey has some skills. I'd consider him a PF rather than a SF.

Slick Pinkham
11-23-2004, 05:47 PM
Boumtje-Boumtje makes some sense because he was in camp, as well as Holcomb.

Los Angeles
11-23-2004, 06:16 PM
complete list:

http://www.hoopshype.com/free_agency.htm

Donnell Harvey has some skills. I'd consider him a PF rather than a SF.

Nice link, thanks!

Eindar
11-23-2004, 06:28 PM
Well, if you consider Edwards to be expendable, due to his non-guaranteed contract, we've technically got 2 roster spots open for the season. I'll be honest, guys, and I don't think I like it neccesarily, but I really see us getting Karl Malone. It's gotta be killing him that he's getting older while not breaking the scoring record, and not getting paid. Oh ya, and he wants a ring. It seems like he'd be willing to take the 2.7 we offer him at this point, and get on a contender with a chance to start until O'Neal comes back, and be a backup afterwards. Or, for that matter, he could start at PF with O'Neal at C for all I care. The point is, the roster spot is there, the money is there, and the situation isn't going to get any better for him. I think Desmond Farmer would be a good pickup. From what I saw, the guy can really shoot. Also, anyone hear anything about Carl English recently? I thought he could have a decent career if he got a chance.

At any rate, my main point was that there's no reason a guy like Karl Malone wouln't play for us, because we do have room for him, especially if Artest is indeed gone for the season.

NewType
11-23-2004, 06:32 PM
I think Malone has made it clear that he would only play for the Lakers if he's coming back, and definitely not a EC team. Besides, he won't be ready until January.