PDA

View Full Version : I've lost a little respect for DW

Shade
11-22-2004, 11:23 PM
When watching the press conference, it's obvious that Donnie is more concerned with apologizing to Stern than standing up for his players. Larry and Herb seemed much more supportive of Ronnie, JO, and Jax.

Kstat
11-22-2004, 11:39 PM
.......or maybe Donnie has simply had enough with defending Artest's childish behavior....

Peck
11-22-2004, 11:40 PM
Like I said in my post yesterday, this is probably tearing Walsh up.

He has always made sure that the team puts on a very very good public front. To the point that he has controlled the local press (to a point) in not broadcasting the teams inner conflicts. I'm not even talking about just recently I'm talking about going all the way back to the Chuck Person days when he assulted Tom Overpeck or even Kenny Williams money troubles.

If you will notice the words "I support Ronnie" never came out of his mouth & I think that was by design.

He is NOT going to put his rep. around the league on the line for Artest because he knows that the general public is all for the hard sanctions that Stern took.

Bird's words were somewhat telling as well.

"RIGHT NOW, we support Ronnie 100%" I could be reading to much into that but he could have just said we support Ronnie 100% and left it at that.

Make no mistake, the Pacers brass is embarrased by the whole mess.

I'm just stunned the owners came out the way they did.

SoupIsGood
11-22-2004, 11:44 PM
Donnie is the man. He still gets my full respect.

Kstat
11-22-2004, 11:46 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if Donnie CUT Artest over the summer, if he wasn't able to trade him.

Check that, I'm SURE He'll release ARtest if he can't trade him.

BrooklynJosh
11-22-2004, 11:49 PM
letterman is on artests side baby!

Kstat
11-22-2004, 11:55 PM
letterman is on artests side baby!

Cause its not like Letterman is a Pacer fan or anything:laugh:

Shade
11-22-2004, 11:57 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if Donnie CUT Artest over the summer, if he wasn't able to trade him.

I doubt it. Could you imagine the Pistons picking him up? :o

SoupIsGood
11-23-2004, 12:00 AM
Wallace/Wallace/Artest/Hamilton/Billups?

I would **** my pants.

Kstat
11-23-2004, 12:02 AM

..considering that ticket sales would DIE if the Pistons ever signed that lunatic, um, i dont think they'd take him, no.

Not to mention I'd NEVER want that time bomb on my team anyway.

Cactus Jax
11-23-2004, 12:13 AM

..considering that ticket sales would DIE if the Pistons ever signed that lunatic, um, i dont think they'd take him, no.

Cause it would be much better to have that angel Rasheed Wallace. :rolleyes:

He's much more insane than Artest, he just happens to be embraced for being a whiny little baby every game.

TheSauceMaster
11-23-2004, 12:13 AM
Donnie has said he can't say much because of possiable legal actions or did people miss that part :rolleyes:

Donnie and Larry said the Stand 100% behind the suspended players including RON ;)

sweabs
11-23-2004, 12:16 AM
I would be scared as hell if Artest went to any other team.

There is always that chance he doesn't interfere and just does what he does best - play basketball.

Kstat
11-23-2004, 12:18 AM

He's much more insane than Artest, he just happens to be embraced for being a whiny little baby every game.

Actually, yes.

EVen at his worst, Rasheed Wallace was not Ron Artest. Rasheed was never a walking flagrant foul. Rasheed never went into the stands to attacka fan, and I GUARENTEE you at some point he has had as much reason to do so as Ron did last friday. Not to mention, Pistons fans never HATED ROn Artest.

If the Pistons signed Artest, it'd be like signing Antoine Walker. Fans wouldn't pay $$$ for tickets to support him.

Hoop
11-23-2004, 12:20 AM

Rodman, Laimbeer and Zeke are 3 of the dirties players in NBA history and R. Wallace is a lunatic, didn't seem to hurt tickets sells. :rolleyes:

Cactus Jax
11-23-2004, 12:25 AM

Actually, yes.

EVen at his worst, Rasheed Wallace was not Ron Artest. Rasheed was never a walking flagrant foul. Rasheed never went into the stands to attacka fan, and I GUARENTEE you at some point he has had as much reason to do so as Ron did last friday. Not to mention, Pistons fans never HATED ROn Artest.

If the Pistons signed Artest, it'd be like signing Antoine Walker. Fans wouldn't pay $$$ for tickets to support him.

I believe Rasheed DID go into the crowd in a game at Golden State (kerosene might be able to clear this up).

He just gets technical fouls and ejections repeatedly, and suspensions for stalking refs, and Ron (unless he hasn't been caught) doesn't smoke illegal drugs either.

Of course you guys don't hate Rasheed, he won you guys a championship, and you'd love Ron if he did the same; hell I probably would too.

They're like comparing apples and oranges; both are great players, but each have big time problems off the court, and Rasheed just constantly complains on the court.

ChicagoJ
11-23-2004, 12:43 AM
I still think Herb Simon was talking about JO's penalty - not Ron's.

I think they're done with Ron. As soon as all the lawyers agree that Ron's contract can be voided, he'll be cut.

sweabs
11-23-2004, 12:47 AM

I think they're done with Ron. As soon as all the lawyers agree that Ron's contract can be voided, he'll be cut.

Doesn't that scare anyone just a wee-little-tiny bit??? Because you never know...

I don't want to hear THREE phrases in the future:

"What if they still had Brad Miller?"
"What if they still had Primoz Brezec?"
"What if they still had Ron Artest?"
:cool:

Arcadian
11-23-2004, 12:59 AM
"If we didn't have Artest" we'd have JO and Jax in uniform.

As far as Donnie I think he is not saying anything until they release an official statement and is being measured in his response.

Anyway I would lose some respect for Donnie if he did give Ron unwavering support.

Bball
11-23-2004, 01:09 AM

I wonder why no one is speculating on this possibility? Head in the sand or do you have to kill someone to breach your contract? Surely there is a 'detrimental to basketball/organization' clause in there...???

-BBall

Slick Pinkham
11-23-2004, 01:11 AM
I gained even more respect for DW.

I lost a little for Carlisle and wish that he had echoed Donnie's comments instead of using the "I support the players" line

Steveman
11-23-2004, 01:37 AM
I'm just stunned the owners came out the way they did.I'm not. They promised Pacers fans a title within 10 years when they bought the team. They've done nothing but pour love and money into the team from day one. And now that they have finally assembled a combination so clearly headed for the title they're not about to let Stern swoop in and rob it from them ... again. I don't blame them. It's finally time to go to war with dictator Stern.

sixthman
11-23-2004, 04:32 AM
I hear Herb Simon is livid about the severity of the penalities and you can expect the Pacers to fight these suspensions.

You can hate Ron Artest all you want, K-Stat, but, under the circumstances, in that insane environment in Detroit, in no way did his actions deserve almost a full year's loss of pay and 71 games off the court.

A Rasheed Wallace loving Pistons fan bringing up Ron's flagrant fouls as justification for the severity of the suspension is irrational since Artest, like Wallace, has outgrown that problem.

Vernon Maxwell got 10 games. If the league had been serious about wanting to stop players from going into the seats, it would have had a proactive, defined policy about the penalities and it would have had the security to enforce it's edicts.

As it is now, this is all about dumping on Ron Artest. It is not about what a fair penalty should be.

ChicagoJ
11-23-2004, 11:09 AM
I wonder why no one is speculating on this possibility? Head in the sand or do you have to kill someone to breach your contract? Surely there is a 'detrimental to basketball/organization' clause in there...???

-BBall

Donnie was aksed that question specifically during yesterday's press conference.

His answer:

"There are 150 unanswered questions from the Commissioner's Memo, that's one and we are looking into it."

In Donnie speak, that tells me that attempting to void Ron's contract is something he's very interested in pursuing.

Reggie4Three
11-23-2004, 11:19 AM
Artest isn't going to get cut. The very idea is idiotic. I would wager everything that he won't get cut from this situation.

Shade
11-23-2004, 11:22 AM
Actually, yes.

You're right. Artest never confronted and threatened a referee in the parking lot after a game. :rolleyes:

But at least Sheed never went into the stands after fans. He just shouted a vast string of obscenities at them during the playoffs. :rolleyes:

Sheed and (now) Little Ben are big babies, Kstat. Sheed whines nonstop and Ben cheap-shots people and gets mad when they retaliate. If Ben weren't allowed to go over the back on damn near every possession, maybe none of this would have occured.

You must have your homer hat on today, because you're being a total hypocrite with statements like these.

Reggie4Three
11-23-2004, 11:27 AM
More or less idiotic than charging into the stand because you got hit in the face with a cup of beer?

More or less idiotic than destroying the season for the franchise?

More or less idiotic than getting in a confrontation with Jermaine and wanting to take a month off because of it, and then claiming you'd like to work on your rap album?

More or less idiotic than smashing a $100,000 camera because you lost a regular season game?

More or less idiotic than going after another teams coach during a game?

More or less idiotic than smashing your elbow into someone's face in Game 6 of the ECF?

More or less idiotic than.................we could do this for a long time, sadly.

So you'll take up a wager on it?

Reggie4Three
11-23-2004, 11:31 AM
Yes. The thought of an anonymous online wager makes me shudder with fear.

I didn't think so. In other words, you know as much as I do that he's not going to get cut. Traded? Perhaps. Cut? Not a chance at this point.

RWB
11-23-2004, 11:42 AM
Yeah, great idea let's not have management show support. There's nothing better than saying hey guys you're on your own. I'm sure that would bring us a championship.

Reggie4Three
11-23-2004, 11:44 AM
I'm not sure at what point I claimed to have some intimate knowledge of the situation. In fact, at NO POINT did I claim to know what wasgoing to happen. My only point was that dismissing any consequence as "idiotic" at this juncture is foolish, especially given Donnie's statement yesterday regarding looking into voiding Ron's contract. Did he say they were going to void it? No. Did he say that he was interested in finding out if they could void it? Yes. If you're 100% behind your player no matter what, you're not interested in doing that.............and they certainly didn't indicate they were entertaining the thought of doing so for JO or jackson...........

Voiding his contract and cutting him are two different things. I believe they take a cap hit by cutting him. By voiding his contract, it would be as if the contract no longer exists and he wouldn't count against the cap. That's why cutting him makes no sense for the Pacers. In my opinion, voiding him makes little sense either because you will still be able to get minimal value for him in a trade if you decide he can no longer be part of the Pacers.

Shade
11-23-2004, 12:18 PM
Could someone post a list of players that make about the same as Ronnie? Just interested what other players fall into his pay rate category and who we could get on a 1-to-1 basis if we decide to trade him.

Kstat
11-23-2004, 12:28 PM
Sheed and (now) Little Ben are big babies, Kstat. Sheed whines nonstop and Ben cheap-shots people and gets mad when they retaliate. If Ben weren't allowed to go over the back on damn near every possession, maybe none of this would have occured.

........and by the same token, maybe if Artest wasn't allowed to hack and grab on every play, maybe none of this wouldv'e happened.

Not to mention, if Artest would have would have gone after Ben Wallace, he never would have gone into the stands. I mean, I have no problem with not fighting if Artest was thinking of his team and his fans, but he clearly wasn't. Oh yeah, He's Ghandi when Ben slaps him across the court, but when some puny fan throws a CUP OF BEER at him, all of a sudden he's Mr. tough guy? Ron's got a streak of yellow running down his back this size of Texas.

Now while you digest how much of a hypocrite I am, Shade, consider the biggest hypocrite friday night was Ron Artest.

Shade
11-23-2004, 12:32 PM
........and by the same token, maybe if Artest wasn't allowed to hack and grab on every play, maybe none of this wouldv'e happened.

Not to mention, if Artest would have would have gone after Ben Wallace, he never would have gone into the stands. I mean, I have no problem with not fighting if Artest was thinking of his team and his fans, but he clearly wasn't. Oh yeah, He's Ghandi when Ben slaps him across the court, but when some puny fan throws a CUP OF BEER at him, all of a sudden he's Mr. tough guy? Ron's got a streak of yellow running down his back this size of Texas.

Now while you digest how much of a hypocrite I am, Shade, consider the biggest hypocrite friday night was Ron Artest.

I'm not defending Ron's actions, Kstat. But bear in mind that he kept his cool until he was attacked THREE TIMES. I seriously doubt that Ron was afraid to go after Ben, if that's what you're implying.

I'm just simply pointing out that Sheed and Ben have problems too. The Pistons are far from a squeaky-clean organization.

Reggie4Three
11-23-2004, 01:08 PM
If Ben Wallace had really wanted to get to Ron, he would've. He was posing to try to deflect attention away from the fact that his team just got waxed by their main rivals on their homecourt. Unfortunately, it worked. However, I don't believe Ben wanted to get to Ron or he would've. He trying to look like the aggressor but he was looking for people to hold him back so he could act like the punk that he is, just like his brother apparently is for attacking Fred unprovoked from behind. That Wallace family is all class . . . .

owl
11-23-2004, 01:15 PM
Kstat, do you really think Ron is afraid, really???

owl

Arcadian
11-23-2004, 01:22 PM
I realize that Ben might be on edge with family circumstances but I have lost a good deal of respect for him. It has been his callousness about the events e.i. "I didn't start it." that have bothered me the most.

It doesn't help that he plays for a team other than the Pacer, either.;)

Slick Pinkham
11-23-2004, 01:23 PM
voiding a contract isn't easy

The Celtics tried to void Vin Baker's contract and the player's association vowed to stage a long legal battle. The Celtics opted for a buyout instead. And Baker's contract had specific language related to alcohol abuse as a trigger to void the contract.

The player's union hates it when you tear up any contract

Kstat
11-23-2004, 01:23 PM
Well, he certainly wasn't afraid when he thought the president of the chess club hit him with a cup of diet pepsi.....

I'm just saying there's a VERY hypocritical element on Ron's decision on what was "insulting" to him. Someone slapping him 20 feet isn't enough to make him angry, but a cup of coke is tantamount to coproral punishment.

If that was Lindsey Hunter that slapped him, I'm not so sure Ron wouldn've showed so much "restraint."

3Ball
11-23-2004, 01:27 PM
Say what you will about Ronnie, without him, we are definitely not a Championship contender. We will fight hard, make the playoffs, and go right back to being shown the door in the first round.

Shade
11-23-2004, 01:27 PM
Well, he certainly wasn't afraid when he thought the president of the chess club hit him with a cup of diet pepsi.....

I'm just saying there's a VERY hypocritical element on Ron's decision on what was "insulting" to him. Someone slapping him 20 feet isn't enough to make him angry, but a cup of coke is tantamount to coproral punishment.

If that was Lindsey Hunter that slapped him, I'm not so sure Ron wouldn've showed so much "restraint."

Once again, Kstat, he retaliated after being attacked THREE TIMES, not to mention all the verbal abuse he was getting both on the floor and in the stands. One can only keep his cool for so long.

geekman
11-23-2004, 02:13 PM
Artest is a coward now? That's a new one. I don't see it. In fact, it's almost not even worth arguing over, because I am convinced that no one else agrees with you Kstat. On this board or anywhere else. Artest is impulsive and not predictable. He is too crazy to be a coward. He strikes me as someone who when he was younger might have gotten his *ss kicked a few times because he didn't have the sense to back down against some one who was bigger than him.

Reggie4Three
11-23-2004, 03:05 PM
Artest knew that Wallace was trying to bait him and was probably content in knowing that Wallace was going to get ejected and probably suspended for being a punk. My own speculation is that Ron knew that nothing was going to happen to the fan that threw something at him, so he decided he would do it himself. I have to say that this isn't the first time someone has thrown something at Ron (and not the first time in front of Detroit's classy fans either) and I can't recall ever hearing about someone getting charged or tickets revoked for doing it before. My bet is that if Ron hadn't gone after the fan that a)we'd all be much happier because we'd still have the best team in the league and b) nothing would've happened to that fan.

BigMac
11-23-2004, 03:16 PM
Man, you guys are reading things into DW's comments that I still don't see. Ron Artest is going to be a Pacer for a long time to come. Either like it or hate it. By the way, not considering the money he's making, how mature were you when you were 24 years old? I can say that that was quite a while ago for me and I was nowhere mature enough to not have reacted the way he did-not that I condone it or anything like that but he's only 24/25 or so. Let's keep perspective.

ChicagoJ
11-23-2004, 11:02 PM
You guys are missing the point.

There are going to be an army of lawyers, from the Pacers, the Union, Ron's agents, and the league, all investigating whether Ron violated his contract in a way that it could be voided.

In VB's case, the Celtics knew he was an alcoholic beforehand, so its hard to say exactly how that would've turned out, but he never did anything as egregious as charge into the stands.

We're not talking about cutting the guy - in which the Simons would still have to pay him the remaining four years of his contract.

We're talking about voiding his contract - no more compensation from the Pacers, no salary cap implications whatsoever.

Everyone agrees that he's untradeable. He might re-appear in NY, rumor has it that Isiah still believes he can control him. ( :laugh: ) But no other team is even likely to pick him up if he was a FA. Nobody else wants him but there's an egomaniac GM or two around the league that may take a chance.

Here's a chance for the Pacers' management to just subtract him without either (1) an unbalanced trade; or (2) being forced to absorb his salary for four more years.

If you think an unbalanced trade or just 'cutting' him would be foolish; this would, in fact, be downright brilliant.

Shade
11-23-2004, 11:06 PM
You guys are missing the point.

There are going to be an army of lawyers, from the Pacers, the Union, Ron's agents, and the league, all investigating whether Ron violated his contract in a way that it could be voided.

In VB's case, the Celtics knew he was an alcoholic beforehand, so its hard to say exactly how that would've turned out, but he never did anything as egregious as charge into the stands.

We're not talking about cutting the guy - in which the Simons would still have to pay him the remaining four years of his contract.

We're talking about voiding his contract - no more compensation from the Pacers, no salary cap implications whatsoever.

Everyone agrees that he's untradeable. He might re-appear in NY, rumor has it that Isiah still believes he can control him. ( :laugh: ) But no other team is even likely to pick him up if he was a FA. Nobody else wants him but there's an egomaniac GM or two around the league that may take a chance.

Here's a chance for the Pacers' management to just subtract him without either (1) an unbalanced trade; or (2) being forced to absorb his salary for four more years.

If you think an unbalanced trade or just 'cutting' him would be foolish; this would, in fact, be downright brilliant.

I gurantee that Detroit, Miami, or Houston would pick him up in a heartbeat.

ChicagoJ
11-23-2004, 11:30 PM
I gurantee that Detroit, Miami, or Houston would pick him up in a heartbeat.

But they won't trade anything for him.

If you just want to put him on the suspended list for the next four years and let him waste away because you're worried about him going to another team, well I guess you could do that.

But I'm not worried about him going to another team - he's going to be the same old Ron no matter if he's playing for Isiah, JVG, Riley or the lastest re-incarnation of the Bad Boys. He'll destroy whichever team he belongs to, so I'm not even 0.0000001% concerned about another team picking him up. :twocents:

brichard
11-23-2004, 11:47 PM
C'mon Kstat, Ron Artest as a coward is as laughable a thing as I have ever read. Now you are starting to sound like the dude that dropped the beer. The following are incontravertible facts:

1. Ron Artest has mellowed. Much like 'Sheed and others before him, Artest has made huge strides. When you factor in that many of his suspensions were earned on reputation alone, it is even more obvious.

2. Artest should not have went in the stands. We can all agree with that. However it strikes me as funny that after this incident everybody is synchronized to the same drum. It is okay to assault a fan on the floor, but not in the stands. When did this become law?

f the fans had come at Artest and a riot ensued, I still say Artest gets a huge suspension whether on the floor or in the stands.

3. Security played a huge role in this failure. If security didn't have their hands up their arses they could have prevented the guy from throwing stuff in the first place. Secondarily they would have been able to aprehend him before Ron got Medieval on him.

4. Fans played a huge role. There wasn't just one fan, but a multitude of fans that contributed to this lack of civility. I'm telling you, when Bob Knight coached at IU, despite his antics... he controlled the crowd. He would get on the PA and address the fans if one item was thrown or even if the BS cheer was started. Stadiums with fans acting like idiots contribute to it by encouraging it or condoning it.

5. Artest, when compared with other suspensions, was penalized way too severely. If Stern wants to crack the whip... fine, but let the players know up front. This "case by case" crap is exactly what causes fans to feel a judgement is unfair. Clearly state what will happen if certain codes of conduct occur. For example, right now if you leave your bench, you are suspended a game. Everybody knows it... it isn't a secret, so you can't complain if that is what happens to you.

6. Ron Artest was hit with a full cup of beer. It wasn't a water bottle, it wasn't a soda, and it wasn't from 2 feet away. Ron was mad and trying to control your emotions and a person drops a smelly substance from a decent altitude and hits you in the face while you are lying in a defenseless position. Lets not forget this either, I bet it hurt like heck as well. Having beer poured on you or popcorn vs. getting dinged with a full cup of Budweiser is very different. I'll say this, we all have a breaking point. Kstat has one, I have one, and Artest has one.

This is the funny thing. I think Artest showed more restraint during this whole event than most people. How many people, NBA ballers or not, could be shoved in the face and pushed, be rushed by another teams players, and then have the same player hit you with a towel. And then somebody is going to toss a full cup of beer (again, not water or soda) and drill you in the face. Not only is it likely that some would react, most would react. And he is now described as a ticking time bomb. I'm sure it sells magazines, but I have very rarely seen Ron go after people. He has attacked inanimate objects and given out some tough fouls, but rarely has he just started swinging as he is so often incorrectly depicted.

7. The Wallace suspension was fair. Many Pacers fans will say it isn't fair b/c they are comparing it to the asinine suspensions our players received. Ben may have encouraged the crowd, but the taming of the crowd is up to the Palace, not Ben Wallace.

I still find it comical that Pacer fans and non fans alike feel like they can squarely blame this on Ron. To quote Rambo, the fan drew first blood. And unlike the case with Mad Max attacking a fan, Ron's reason to go after a fan was after that fan physically hit him with something. This had nothing to do with verbal abuse and everything to do with getting smacked.

And riddle me this, when is it okay to go in the stands? If they hit you with a brick? If they throw a rock at you? Surely at some point we all have a right to defend ourselves and go after the fans no matter what the rules say.

Donnie's decision to keep or lose Artest will go as the public opinion goes IMO. Right now there are alot of Pro-Ron movements out there, so I don't see a cut coming at all.

PacerMan
11-23-2004, 11:51 PM
Wallace/Wallace/Artest/Hamilton/Billups?

I would **** my pants.

Why? He'd ***** them up just like he has US.........

PacerMan
11-23-2004, 11:54 PM
But they won't trade anything for him.

If you just want to put him on the suspended list for the next four years and let him waste away because you're worried about him going to another team, well I guess you could do that.

But I'm not worried about him going to another team - he's going to be the same old Ron no matter if he's playing for Isiah, JVG, Riley or the lastest re-incarnation of the Bad Boys. He'll destroy whichever team he belongs to, so I'm not even 0.0000001% concerned about another team picking him up. :twocents:

Ding ding, we have a winner. And it ain't Ronnie. The best thing we could do to a team we hate, like the Pissons, is send Ronnie to them.