PDA

View Full Version : Besides Mayo/Lee, who else do you want the Pacers pick up? (read post before poll)

imbtyler
07-09-2012, 08:51 PM
The big question is this:
If we get a combo guard in Mayo or Lee, what position do we look to upgrade with ANY remaining cash?

scoring wing to play alongside Mayo/Lee
big man to back-up West and Hibbert
passing/facilitating point guard to distribute to bench scorers
Other (post your own answer)

While most people are pining over OJ Mayo and Courtney Lee as our back-up shooting guard to add to the line-up, I'm busy looking for other small pieces we could pick up to finish rounding out the roster. Obviously (as I mention constantly), this includes Gerald Green, who I think would be a great scoring threat at the 3, alongside either of Mayo or Lee. He played 25.2 mpg in 31 games for the Nets, got 12.9 ppg at 48% from the field, 39% from 3 (around 49% in games where he made at least one 3 [20 games out of 31]). He's more than "just a dunker", and has matured severely in his ~3 years overseas. His attitude isn't something to be worried about anymore. Just putting everyone on the same level of understanding as I am.

Besides Green (whose campaign I will support severely), there are other free agents (and other tradable players) who are still available who could provide role minutes off the bench. The following players are still on the block (but not necessarily players I want us to pick up, just a list of availables):

Patty Mills (the Aussie formerly of Portland)
DeJuan Blair
Greg Stiemsma
Jerryd Bayless (basically DC, but I like Bayless more)
CJ Miles
Boris Diaw
Josh Howard
Shannon Brown
Jonny Flynn
Michael Redd
Lou Williams
Terrence Williams
Carl Landry (heard a lot of praise from other Pacers fans, but not too fixed on him personally)
Aaron Brooks
Ramon Sessions? (is he still available? He can make plays, which is something we could use. Also, will he come off the bench?)
Marreese Speights
Jordan Hill
Carlos Delfino (apparently, the Pacers had a meeting, and showed "significant interest?" in him about a week ago)
JJ Hickson
Anthony Tolliver
Anthony Randolph (is he still avilable?)
Robin Lopez (RFA)
Baron Davis (loves to pass, would be a good veteran presence off the bench. But who knows if he comes back from this injury (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh-iowZB4kI))
Kyrylo Fesenko (wouldn't hurt to re-sign him for cheap)
DJ Augustin (did he get re-signed?)
Greg Oden
Antawn Jamison
Chris Kaman
WAY MORE (http://hoopshype.com/free_agent_rankings.htm)

As well as some of our Summer League guys:

Jarrid Famous
Matt Rogers
Ben Hansbrough
Reggie Hamilton
Matt Janning
Tyren Johnson
Chris Kramer
Hamady Ndiaye
Robert Vaden

Not sure who else could be listed, but these are the ones I gathered who are still available. Seeing as how we need a more presence in the post, I would consider JJ Hickson, Anthony Randolph, Marreese Speights, Jordan Hill, Oden, and/or Robin Lopez (though he's a RFA). That's just a personal selection of big men who may be available to sign on short/low risk terms. Besides them, I'd like to see any of our Summer League guys earning a spot on the official, but I'm not going to hold my breath; if there was any chance of them making the team, they would have done so since last year's "Fan Jam" and preseason.

Let me know who you're interested in. There is a lot of talent available, who could be role players for cheap. That's definitely something we could use if all we end up with is Mayo or Lee (or neither, for that matter).

Grangerous
07-09-2012, 08:53 PM
lets sign Kaman or Brand for 2nd unit

Hypnotiq
07-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Delfino we need shooters and we need a backup for Danny

pacers74
07-09-2012, 08:59 PM
JJ Hickson, or Jordan Hill. But they are probably over priced.

Steagles
07-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Jarrid Famous or Stanko. Otherwise a PG.

DGPR
07-09-2012, 09:08 PM
I'd like Bayless to back up Hill and Jordan Hill would be a nice backup to West

Ozwalt72
07-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Third big is easily the biggest hole on the team. Not backup two guard. Not even point guard. We have a late pick rookie and a guy that had a terrible year last year competing for the right to play about 24mpg.

BornReady#6
07-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Gerald Green, camby and mills

Sparhawk
07-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Pick up Bayless, Delonte West or trade for Reggie Jackson (Reggie is my #1 option!).

Trade DC, DJ and Hans (Trade Lance if the Pacers pick up another SG).

Pick up a backup SF (Gerald Green, Royce White (cause I'm full of optimism and sunshine), or Corey Brewer)

Pick up a PF (Don't have any ideas since I think Hickson and Randolph are off the market, but making a trade with Houston makes sense) Please dear God, don't allow the Pacers to go into the season with Hans and Plumlee as the main backups. Hans should be a 3PF, or better yet, traded.

MillerTime
07-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Gerald Green, camby and mills

Gerald Green has had a lot of immaturity issues in the past and Camby has already signed with NY

Handoverfist
07-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Dejuan Blair or Carl Landry

Jose Slaughter
07-09-2012, 09:34 PM
I'd love to make a deal to get Robin Lopez but the Suns are as thin up front as we are.

A rotation of Hibbert, West & Lopez would be very solid.

It was nice to see Green finally get his act together last season. He would be an outstanding backup.

PacerPenguins
07-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Gerald Green has had a lot of immaturity issues in the past and Camby has already signed with NY

he has actually grown up a lot

NapTonius Monk
07-09-2012, 09:44 PM
He had a really good year last year. His time away from the NBA seems to have really matured him.

Hicks
07-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Dejuan Blair or Carl Landry

I'd see if I could get either of these two in a trade/sign-and-trade for Tyler.

BornReady
07-09-2012, 11:22 PM
Bayless and Brand!

Derek2k3
07-09-2012, 11:31 PM
Blair all day. I love the rotation of Hill/DC/Danny/Paul/Mayo-Lee/Dahntay.

Hibbert/West/Tyler/Pendy/Plumlee? *shudder* Throw Blair or another hard working, efficient big in there and you're starting to look real nice.

Anthem
07-09-2012, 11:50 PM
I'd rather go big and pick up Brand, if possible. Then try to trade Collison/Hans for a scoring wing.

vnzla81
07-09-2012, 11:54 PM
I'd rather go big and pick up Humpries if possible. Then try to trade Collison/Hans for a scoring wing.

I agree with your thinking but disagree with the player ;)

pacer4ever
07-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Scott Machado for the min over a 3 year deal mostly unguaranteed like the one the Cavs sign Kevin Jones to. (I would guarantee it if it was the sweeter he needed to sign with us)

I still think he has starters upside and can be a great backup in the interim if he receives the proper coaching.

and then add whoever "the market has dried up for" to a team friendly deal at wing and big.

imbtyler
07-10-2012, 12:12 AM

Nooo. See below.

he has actually grown up a lot

He had a really good year last year. His time away from the NBA seems to have really matured him.

These are true. Green grew up a lot when he realized he wasn't "too cool for the NBA", got shipped overseas, and learned to play like a man, instead of a boy. As much as I'd hate to see it happen this way, I'd love for Brooklyn to lose Green's respect, either by trading him off for Dwight, or not signing him, or whatever. Then we can pick up the pieces. I fear he'd pick the Bulls (or whoever) over us. But he's a lot more mature than people give him credit for these days. He could totally be a high-volume scorer off the bench, and potentially earn more minutes than Mayo/Lee. :pray:

imbtyler
07-10-2012, 12:41 AM
For those selecting "back-up big man" as their choice, I have this to say: we currently have West, Hibbert, Pendergraph, Hansbrough, and Plumlee under contract. If Pendergraph comes out and performs like we need him to, he'll be the perfect replacement for Hansbrough, and we won't have to upgrade. However, Dahntay Jones is not (or won't be) the back-up we need behind Granger and Paul. I'm not saying it's a guarantee, but we should put a little more faith in New Jeff than we did before. Or look at Plumlee to play all the backup 4/5 minutes available (weird). As far as a facilitating point guard goes, I like Patty Mills, but he's more undersized than DC, and I'm not sure how he distributes. I'd like to see Augustin and Sessions, if they kept the passing roles. And I would easily take Jerryd Bayless over DC any day.

Hopefully, though, we can package Tyler and DC for a non-FA, whose availability we are yet unaware of. I can't wait until things start picking up on Wednesday. I still really, really, really hope we get Mayo or Lee, as well as Green and any of Augustin/Sessions/Bayless. Besides all these guys, my main big men I'd go for are Jordan Hill (will probably get re-signed by LAL), or Robin Lopez (unfortunately a RFA), or just re-sign Lou and Fes. If no one else picks them up (of which there is a good chance), then I would rather have Lou in Hans' spot, and Fes cleaning up the leftover minutes.

Again, I would hope that Pendergraph shows out better than Hansbrough, though. So an extra big man would be unnecessary.

Jeremy
07-10-2012, 08:31 AM
I want to keep Ben Hansbrough. I think he would be a solid third point guard. I also would like to get Elton Brand to back up West.

adamscb
07-10-2012, 08:45 AM
i'm really liking the fact that the pacers are good enough now, we're debating who our backups should be :D it's nice to be relevant again.

Pacer Fan
07-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Brand...low salary.
Mahinmi...low salary.
Brooks in trade...low salary.
Corey Brewer in trade for Hans. Almost same salary as Hans. Providing we get Brand or a better backup PF.
Trade Jones for TPE if Brewer is obtained.

Ozwalt72
07-10-2012, 09:06 AM
For those selecting "back-up big man" as their choice, I have this to say: we currently have West, Hibbert, Pendergraph, Hansbrough, and Plumlee under contract. If Pendergraph comes out and performs like we need him to.

I didn't see anything from Pendergraph in the limited time he was on the court last year. Maybe he's better than what he'd shown, but neither him or Hansbrough inspire much confidence.

Do you really feel better about our five bigs than our five wings in OJ, Lance, Danny, Paul and Dahntay? Are Plumlee and Pendergraph any less proven than Lance and OJ? Was Hansbrough a better player than Dahntay last year?

Sparhawk
07-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Brand...low salary.
Mahinmi...low salary.
Brooks in trade...low salary.
Corey Brewer in trade for Hans. Almost same salary as Hans. Providing we get Brand or a better backup PF.
Trade Jones for TPE if Brewer is obtained.

I'd love to get Brewer, but the Nuggets have a ton of bigs. They look like they only need some pg depth. Probably would have to get a 3rd team involved.

DrFife
07-10-2012, 09:18 AM
I agree with the "go big .. Brand" part. I like the strategy of having a "weapon" in the playoffs -- that being having the best frontcourt in the East. Moreover, while I'm tantalized by the idea of signing Kaman (too expensive), I believe amnesty offers unique value; but it also comes with the unique game, "guess the winning bid?" My guess: 4.5M. We can't get both athleticism and scoring in a big, it seems, so Plum will have to be our athlete, and we definitely need another scoring big. Timing is critical here, because we'll probably have to choose on a strategy (and a player) ... so I vote for Brand.

Jrod Jones
07-10-2012, 09:25 AM
I think bidding high on Brand would be the smartest thing. He would be an excellent 3rd big to rotate in with Hibbert and West. We should throw a 12mill, 2 year contract that is frontloaded (8,4 or 7,5) at Brand. This team has a lot of bench-level guard talent (with Collison, Lance, OJ, Jones) + guys that can play multiple positions (Hill and George being able to both slide to the 2 and 3 respectively) so I don't think that a wing like Lee or Mayo is the best choice for us right now.

Now if we go and sign Mayo/Lee and then also bring in a cheap (~4mill) PF/C I would be happy. I just don't see how adding another SG is more pressing then bringing in another bigman. Let Plumlee and Pendergraph fight it out for minutes, but heading into the season relying on them to carry any sort of load is just foolish.

Derek2k3
07-10-2012, 09:40 AM
I think bidding high on Brand would be the smartest thing. He would be an excellent 3rd big to rotate in with Hibbert and West. We should throw a 12mill, 2 year contract that is frontloaded (8,4 or 7,5) at Brand. This team has a lot of bench-level guard talent (with Collison, Lance, OJ, Jones) + guys that can play multiple positions (Hill and George being able to both slide to the 2 and 3 respectively) so I don't think that a wing like Lee or Mayo is the best choice for us right now.

Now if we go and sign Mayo/Lee and then also bring in a cheap (~4mill) PF/C I would be happy. I just don't see how adding another SG is more pressing then bringing in another bigman. Let Plumlee and Pendergraph fight it out for minutes, but heading into the season relying on them to carry any sort of load is just foolish.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it works that way.

The way I understand, Brand is on amnesty waivers. Teams under the cap get to put a bid in on him, but it is for this season only (He's only got this one year left, right?). So, you don't actually offer a contract, rather, you make a bid to pay for a portion of his salary. Whoever bids the most, gets him. He is set to make $18M, so if the Pacers offer $5M for him, Philly pays the remaining $13M he is due.

The biggest issue is Dallas wants him, and they've got a ton of money available due to their epic fails on Kidd/Deron/Tyson et al. It'd be interesting, if the Pacers sign Lee/Mayo to a backloaded 2 or 3 year deal, say $4M/$6M or $4M/$6M/$6M, they would have enough left to throw out a $6M bid on Brand.

I for one would be thrilled, as a frontcourt of West/Hibbert/Brand is beastly offensively. 3 current/former all-stars. Brand still has the jumper/rebounding.

Jrod Jones
07-10-2012, 10:38 AM
I know how it works this year (with the Pacers bidding how much of Brand's contract they will pay for) but I didn't know if they could offer a contract extension of sorts to go with it. Regardless I think it is a good idea to offer Brand as much of our capspace for this season as we feel we can use. I'd rather bring Brand in then any other player we are targeting right now.

MillerTime
07-10-2012, 11:01 AM
CJ Watson is currently available. He would be a lovely back up to Hill - I'd rather have him over Collison

pacergod2
07-10-2012, 11:02 AM
I still am thinking Collison, Hansborough, and 2013 first for Paul Millsap.

I LOVE the idea of getting Brand in the amnesty auction, but I think it really depends on how much cap space we have for that. Not many other teams who would be interested have much in the way of cap space. Especially since they have planned around so many other moves at this point, that reversing direction is probably too difficult for one year of Brand.

docpaul
07-10-2012, 11:32 AM
I still am thinking Collison, Hansborough, and 2013 first for Paul Millsap.

I LOVE the idea of getting Brand in the amnesty auction, but I think it really depends on how much cap space we have for that. Not many other teams who would be interested have much in the way of cap space. Especially since they have planned around so many other moves at this point, that reversing direction is probably too difficult for one year of Brand.

Man, that trade would be amazing. So amazing that I can't imagine that they'd go for it. :)

The main downside of it, however, is that there's a clear movement amongst teams to minimize mid level contracts, and use rookie contracts to line your bench / backup depth. There' a fair bit of wisdom to that approach, IMO.

MillerTime
07-11-2012, 07:46 PM
what ever happened to Robin Lopez? Is he a UFA?

Lance George
07-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Lopez is restricted, and the only recent news I see is a Tweet saying the Blazers have contacted him.

Chris Haynes (ChrisBHaynes) on Twitter (https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes)

Chris Haynes ‏@ChrisBHaynes
Suns C Robin Lopez has been contacted by ‪#Blazers‬ during this moratorium, Lopez tells CSNNW. So far, that's the extent. Lopez, 7-1 is a RFA.

DangerGranger3pointranger
07-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Dunno, but Brooke Lopez just signed with the nets.