PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: Beer Thrower has criminal past

McKeyFan
11-22-2004, 10:11 PM
This will really help Ron's case, I believe: PR-wise, anyway.

[url]http://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/3938054/detail.html

Shade
11-22-2004, 10:17 PM
2003 -- Operating under the influence of liquor/operating while visibly impaired (second offense)

1989 -- Assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder

1989 -- Escape from prison

1986 -- Carrying concealed weapons

1986 -- Uttering and publishing, which is using a false, forged, altered or counterfeit record, deed or instrument to injure or defraud.

Why the hell is this guy not in jail right now? :mad:

Kegboy
11-22-2004, 10:18 PM
This will really help Ron's case, I believe: PR-wise, anyway.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/3938054/detail.html

Wow. Part of me fears this isn't the same guy. But for the love of god I hope it is.

:pray:

---
Asked afterward if O'Neal's absence contributed to Charlotte's win, Knight bristled.

"What about Primoz? They didn't have Shaq, but we didn't have Primoz," he said.

Dr Huxtable
11-22-2004, 10:23 PM
This is huge. :o

Suaveness
11-22-2004, 10:29 PM
:devil:

TheSauceMaster
11-22-2004, 10:33 PM
Wow he already has one assault charge , I think if he get's 2nd offence it has to be a felony and can't be a misdemeanor.

Unclebuck
11-22-2004, 10:33 PM
Huge news, I just heard on ESPN news that this guy is a season ticket holder and he does have to forfeit his ticket for the rest of the season. Not sure if he gets his money back or not.

He should not get a dime of it and the Pistons should have to give it to an Indy area charity

Well that ought to even things up.

I am happy now

Kegboy
11-22-2004, 10:43 PM
http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/asp/otis2profile.asp?mdocNumber=182481

Well, if we assume this is the guy...:fingerscrossed:

The best I can figure reading this, in '86 he was sentenced for forging records when he was 19 (fake ID?) and for having a concealed weapon. He was sentenced to a minimum of 1.5 years and a maximum of 14 years. Sounds like more than a fake ID.

Anyway, in the summer of '88, he escaped from prison, assaulting someone in the process. Don't know how long it was until he was caught, but he was sentenced in '89 to a minimum of 3 years, and a maximum of 20. He served just over 5 years, and was released.

Then, in '02 he was arrested for a DUI. He was sentenced the beginning of last year to 3 years probation. Among the stipulations of his probation agreement:

- not allowed to drink
- must attend AA
- must submit to drug tests
- must be on good behavior :cool:

God, it just seems to good to be true that this is really the guy. I'd feel a lot better if there was a picture there, but the description does track.
---
Asked afterward if O'Neal's absence contributed to Charlotte's win, Knight bristled.

"What about Primoz? They didn't have Shaq, but we didn't have Primoz," he said.

Jermaniac
11-22-2004, 10:51 PM
The players association better work with that when they appeal those suspensions, cause that ******* is a criminal and was probably loving that Ron came up in the crowd.

Suaveness
11-22-2004, 10:57 PM
This completely changes things....

*fingers crossed*

obnoxiousmodesty
11-22-2004, 11:06 PM
This makes Ron appear more sympathetic, but it will not alter Stern's decision, in my opinion.

Jermaniac
11-22-2004, 11:12 PM
It is the same guy who threw the drink wearing the blue Wallace jacket. He had a hearing today with the Detroit Police and he didnt show up and now the Police cant find him. Things are getting better and better, I HOPE

McKeyFan
11-22-2004, 11:13 PM
Now who's the thug?

Hicks
11-22-2004, 11:13 PM
This shows what kind of guy he is, but will this really matter to the NBA?

Suaveness
11-22-2004, 11:21 PM
It better as hell matter

indygeezer
11-22-2004, 11:23 PM
One of the posters on the IS site found this also.

The guy supposedly lives next door to the Prosecutor

My question...If he has such a criminal record what the Heck kinda job does he have that he can live next to the Prosecutor and hold Piston Season Tix????

(Dang I hope this isn';t the start of all those Kobe Bryant type internet rumors!)

Vicious Tyrant
11-22-2004, 11:34 PM
I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but how on earth does this matter?

Does it just make us feel better that the fool who threw the beer is a BIG fool? Didn't we pretty much already know that?

Am I supposed to believe that Ron somehow deduced all this guy's history from the trajectory of the beer that hit him, so his actions become excusable?

I think we need to look at the plank in our own eye here (actually, we is probably the wrong pronoun, but I hope you get the point).

ChicagoJ
11-22-2004, 11:51 PM
This has no effect on Ron's sentence - he still went into the stands, which is understandable but completely inexcusable. If this were any of the other 29 teams, we'd want Cmm'r Stern to crack down this hard. The only thing we should be complaining about is JO's punishment - he never left the court.

But this does underscore the fact that the boorish, uncivil behavior from the scums and 'wealthy white trash' that live in the Auburn Hills, MI area (they keep telling us it is not Det-Riot) was what escalated the indicent.

Shade
11-22-2004, 11:54 PM
At least this asshat will go back to jail. Of course, he'll be out again soon enough. :rolleyes:

McKeyFan
11-22-2004, 11:54 PM
I'll take on that question.

It shows that Artest intuitively recognized that this wasn't a usual, benign incident. He interpreted it, now possibly very correctly, as the action of someone who had the serious intent to harm him and would have done much more given the opportunity.

If he lets this go, then the NBA continues to have drunk ex-cons -- who are breaking probation after having previously broken out of jail--lurking right behind opposing benches to incite players and possibly riots. Perhaps something worse happens next time like thrown object cutting someone or a knife wound (remember Tonya?) or even a gunshot (remember those Columbine idiots?).

Instead, Ron--having correctly assessed the potential threat--decides its time to act and does so. He decides that if someone doesn't stand up to these idiots, they will continue to press in until they destroy you. Yes, he did act. Yes, this criminal was identified and exposed. Yes, the seriousness of unstable, criminal fans allowed to act in such a way is brought to light. Measures will ultimately be enacted to prevent worse scenarios.

Stretch this a little further. Ron may have even saved his own life--or at least limb--in a future episode, or he may have done so on behalf of another player.

I don't necessarily believe everything I just wrote. I'm just saying it is a plausible argument and one that will help Ron in the upcoming PR wars. Yes, I DO think it will make a difference in arbitration talks, etc. And I do think it will make Stern's rush to judgement look much worse.

Vicious Tyrant
11-23-2004, 12:06 AM
McKey Fan, you'd make a heck of a lawyer.

I don't buy it for one second, but its a helluva spin job.

:p

indygeezer
11-23-2004, 12:07 AM
Your last sentence is the strongest of your points. It makes Stern look bad.

Bball
11-23-2004, 01:24 AM
Am I supposed to believe that Ron somehow deduced all this guy's history from the trajectory of the beer that hit him, so his actions become excusable?

That is silly. Ron couldn't have deduced the guy's history from the trajectory of the beer. He was able to deduce it thru the splatter pattern as it hit him.

Fearing for the safety of other spectators he quickly lept from the table and shoved an innocent bystander, who was in the line of fire, to the ground before this would-be felon could harm anyone else. If you listen to the audio you can clearly hear Ron yelling "Duck!" (with the proper audio equipment and super secret audio decoding software). This was with no regard to his own safety. This was simply to get this person out of the line of fire. Ron should be commended for his quick thinking and action.

:P
-Bball

Alabama-Redneck
11-23-2004, 01:33 AM
Hey Geeze, what are you doing up so late? Don't you have to go to work tomorrow??

And Bball, how do you spell what Ron yelled? Is that with a D or F ??

:o: :laugh: :cool:

indygeezer
11-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Hey Geeze, what are you doing up so late? Don't you have to go to work tomorrow??

And Bball, how do you spell what Ron yelled? Is that with a D or F ??

:o: :laugh: :cool:

I couldn't sleep last night 'Bama. Kept seeing big-mouthed bass and green-wing teal. (I gotta make a trip to ALabama one of these days)

blanket
11-23-2004, 04:24 PM
Here are some updates. Looks like this criminal is our guy after all:

Fan Suspected in NBA Brawl Speaks Out
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/News/story?id=275776&page=1

Man Who Allegedly Threw Drink That Sparked Melee Says He Tried to Stop Fight
Nov. 23, 2004 - He has been identified as the fan who threw the cup that launched Indiana Pacers forward Ron Artest into the stands, but John Green has denied being a catalyst in perhaps the worst brawl in modern sports history and insists he was trying to stop the fight.

"I was with a bunch of young kids I had taken to the game and he [Artest] jumped on somebody next to me," Green said in an exclusive interview on "Good Morning America." "I grabbed him from behind, trying to pull him off. I was trying to talk to him, telling him to stop and he kept yelling something, I couldn't hear what it was."

David Gorcyca, prosecutor for Oakland County, Mich., identified Green -- a former next-door neighbor -- on Monday after repeatedly reviewing the footage of the brawl between fans and players at the end of Friday's game between the Detroit Pistons and the Pacers. The NBA suspended nine players involved in the melee. Artest, who was involved in a shoving match with Pistons center Ben Wallace, charged into the stands after a fan threw a partially filled beverage cup that hit him. He was suspended for the rest of the season.

Gorcyca said that he saw Green grab Artest from behind and sucker-punch him. On the video, Green is shown wearing a white cap and Pistons jacket. A Pistons executive said Green is a season-ticket holder and would be banned from The Palace at Auburn Hills, the home of the NBA world champions. Green, however, said he was trying to stop Artest from punching several fans. He said Artest kicked him from behind and that he then "reacted."

"The cup got hurled from the general vicinity of where I was sitting," Green said in an exclusive interview on "GMA" this morning. "He [Artest] looked up. We were shocked that the cup hit him. :rolleyes: … He looked up at us and started charging up there. It was pretty shocking. I didn't know what to think."

'He Was Being a Thug'
In this morning's interview, Green's attorney would not allow him to say whether he threw the cup that sparked Artest's gallop into the stands. He said the video shows what happened.

"The video is clear about what happens. I suggest [to] anybody who wants to look at the video, there's questions involved in what the intent was," said Shawn Patrick Smith. "John is saying, look at the video. The video speaks for itself."

Green has a prior arrest record for DUI, felony assault and carrying a concealed weapon. However, he says he is not a criminal and has paid for his past crimes. He said he was trying to defuse the violent outbreak at the Palace.

"I don't know why they're [the media] saying I'm a criminal. I was at a game and I tried to pull somebody off a guy," Green said."As for, you know, Artest, he could have punched Ben Wallace, he didn't choose to do that when Ben did that. … Ron Artest went through the whole stadium punching people the whole night. He was being a thug." :rolleyes:

Criminal Charges Weeks Away?
Green said he does not feel sorry that Artest is suspended for the rest of the season. He said he is ready to accept the consequences if prosecutors feel he is guilty of wrongdoing.
"If they find that I did something wrong, then I'll pay the price, and I will do it," Green said. "I'm a grown man and whatever happens, happens."

Ron Artest has apologized for the brawl and told "People" magazine that he believes most of the fans are great but that one-tenth of them are "jerks." He also said his season-ending suspension was too harsh.

Prosecutors say police are reviewing tapes of the incident, enhanced digital photos and interviewing witnesses but no charges are imminent. In addition to Green, they said they believe they are close to identifying another fan who threw a folding chair into the stands, knocking out another fan.

Investigators say the case is more difficult to analyze than some murder cases because there were hundreds of witnesses and and dozens of potential suspects to identify and interview. Prosecutors said it could be weeks before they file any criminal charges.

+++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6562240/

No charges had been filed in the brawl, but if any are they most likely would be misdemeanor assault and battery, Oakland County, Mich., prosecutor David Gorcyca said Monday.

The only possible felony charge under consideration would be against the unidentified person who hurled a chair into the crowd, Gorcyca said. Authorities asked the public to help identify that person.

After repeatedly watching footage of the brawl, the prosecutor personally identified John Green — a former neighbor of Gorcyca — as the fan who threw a cup that hit Artest.

Once Artest was in the stands, Green grabbed him from behind and sucker-punched him, the prosecutor said.

Green, 39, a contractor, told reporters Monday that it may have looked like he threw the cup, but he didn’t.

“I wish the whole thing didn’t happen,” he said. “It was awful, it was ugly.”

Green’s attorney, Shawn Smith, said his client became involved in the brawl only when he saw Artest hitting a smaller man.

“We have no comment on who threw the cup, it’s irrelevant,” Smith said. He said fans shouldn’t throw things, “but is it a criminal offense? I don’t think so.”

During an appearance Tuesday on ABC’s “Good Morning America,” Green described himself as a respected businessman with a wife and two children. He said he was not drinking Friday night.

“I don’t go around breaking the law,” he said. “If they have found that I broke the law, I’ll pay the price.”

But Gorcyca said Green was on probation for his third offense of driving under the influence. Green’s record also includes convictions for carrying a concealed weapon and check fraud, according to the Michigan Department of Corrections’ database.

Pistons chief executive Tom Wilson said Green is a season-ticket holder and will be banned from The Palace.

Auburn Hills Police Chief Doreen Olko said her office had spoken to nine people who said they were injured in the fight, but that the injuries were relatively minor.

Artest had not yet been interviewed by Michigan authorities, the chief said.

sweabs
11-23-2004, 06:08 PM
Glad to see he will be banned from the Palace.

I can't believe that he will try to argue he didn't throw the cup. I have no tolerance for a guy like that. "I don't go around breaking the law" - did we not see a long criminal past from this guy :rolleyes:

blanket
11-23-2004, 06:42 PM
I just saw a video clip of this guy throwing the cup on Inside Edition, or one of those entertainment-news programs. I hadn't seen that footage before. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this video?

sweabs
11-23-2004, 07:10 PM
I just saw a video clip of this guy throwing the cup on Inside Edition, or one of those entertainment-news programs. I hadn't seen that footage before. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this video?

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/3937083/detail.html

blanket
11-23-2004, 08:11 PM
hmmm... it's not playing for me - thanks, tho!