PDA

View Full Version : AJ Price Released

Pacers
07-08-2012, 10:26 PM
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7219/asdfqhu.png

Pacer Fan
07-08-2012, 10:27 PM
So long and good luck AJ Price! Great Effort to get back from that knee injury!

joew8302
07-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Makes me think something else is in the works.

AJ was a cheap backup who was serviceable IMO.

Hypnotiq
07-08-2012, 10:28 PM
Was a solid 3rd string guard one of the better ones in the league

Best of luck to him

pacer4ever
07-08-2012, 10:28 PM
so we haven't renounced Barbosa yet?? I haven't seen it confirmed any where.

No surprise AJ had no future here and Im sure he knew that for the past few years. He handled it great but no surprise it was clear he was just a emergency guy.

Never was a fan of his game hope he learns to shoot(and what a good shot is) again and maybe can catch on somewhere. But his shooting the past few years was awful, one of the worse guys in the NBA at it.

CableKC
07-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Great...now we can end the whole Lance Vs. AJ debate.

Thanks to AJ.

Steagles
07-08-2012, 10:29 PM

His contract expired. Do we have his bird rights?

ECKrueger
07-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Tweet:

https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/222153984574627842

Pacers
07-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Makes me think something else is in the works..

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/5425/orlandojohnson.jpg

joew8302
07-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Is OJ a PG? I didn't think AJ and him were interchangeable.

pacer4ever
07-08-2012, 10:34 PM
His contract expired. Do we have his bird rights?

of course we have his rights if rights didn't transfer in trades there would be a strike worse than the one baseball had :laugh:

but I though it was a no brainier we would renounce him on July 1st his cap hold is huge.

imawhat
07-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Best of luck, AJ. He's 'good shot selection' away from becoming a great backup guard.

I'll always root for him.

Sorry Sookie.

wintermute
07-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Was a solid 3rd string guard one of the better ones in the league

Best of luck to him

Yeah, good luck AJ.

No need to rush it since we don't have anyone lined up in FA yet, I think. There's still the possibility of S&T to an over the cap team, not that we'll get much back. But might as well hold on to his Bird rights until we're sure we're getting someone else.

vnzla81
07-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Nice, good luck in Europe.

pacer4ever
07-08-2012, 10:41 PM
Yeah, good luck AJ.

No need to rush it since we don't have anyone lined up in FA yet, I think. There's still the possibility of S&T to an over the cap team, not that we'll get much back. But might as well hold on to his Bird rights until we're sure we're getting someone else.

Good point I guess but I cant imagine Barbosa getting anymore than the tax payers MLE. The likely hood of a S&T is so small I guess the Knicks are possible. Jerome Jordan and a filler plus a future 2nd rd pick.

EDIT: Maybe the Lakers make sense now they got Nash aswell maybe a Darius Morris package?? Raja Bell just got cut I would imagine they go after him over Barbosa though.

vnzla81
07-08-2012, 10:43 PM
And goodbye Sookie :cry:

dal9
07-08-2012, 10:44 PM
what's the point of doing this? just to get rid of him? before summer league?

do we need a roster spot or something?

cinotimz
07-08-2012, 10:47 PM
I cant help but think this is preparatory to putting in a bid for Brand.

pacer4ever
07-08-2012, 10:47 PM

so he can try and get a job it's that simple. It is the right thing to do no use in making it hard on him to go find a team by cutting him in a month or two. I bet if we held on to him for awhile he wouldn't be too happy and would proablly make it clear Indy did him a disservice. Good for both parties really AJ went back to NY this summer he knew he was gone.

MiaDragon
07-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Makes me think something else is in the works.

AJ was a cheap backup who was serviceable IMO.

Or the team is doing the right thing. They may have had no intentions of bringing him back so they let him go early to give AJ the best shot of catching on to a new team.

imbtyler
The first thing Aldridge stated was that we were "clearing a roster spot". I think that means something is going to happen soon. Give it a few more days, fellas.

MiaDragon
I cant help but think this is preparatory to putting in a bid for Brand.

Dont see how one has to do with the other.

cinotimz
07-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Dont see how one has to do with the other.

cap holds and a roster spot....

vnzla81
07-08-2012, 10:50 PM
The first thing Aldridge stated was that we were "clearing a roster spot". I think that means something is going to happen soon. Give it a few more days, fellas.

Something is going to happen but I'm getting ready to be disappointed, we are probably bringing back Diener or Luther head or something.

imbtyler
07-08-2012, 10:52 PM
PS: Good luck to AJ. He can play backup PG for Brooklyn, since they'll need cheap bench players.

DGPR
07-08-2012, 10:53 PM
Something is going to happen but I'm getting ready to be disappointed, we are probably bringing back Diener or Luther head or something.
Ever the optimist

pacer4ever
07-08-2012, 10:55 PM
PS: Good luck to AJ. He can play backup PG for Brooklyn, since they'll need cheap bench players.

Ps: Tyshawn Taylor would eat AJ Price for breakfast, lunch, and dinner

Slick Pinkham
07-08-2012, 10:58 PM
Humphries?

Peck
07-08-2012, 10:59 PM
I really wish we could have seen A.J. under a different coach other than O'Brien. Sadly by the time Vogel's first season as coach was upon us Hill was here with D.C.

Not sure it would have made much of a difference but I would have like to have seen it.

But sadly I suspect that vnzla is correct and that A.J. will be playing overseas next year.

Good luck to him.

Heisenberg
07-08-2012, 11:02 PM
The deadline to release him was July 29th (ShamSports says 7/29/2011, but I almost guarantee that's a typo and it's 2012). After that we're on the hook for at least 200k. So just get it over and done with so he has the entire free agency period to find a new gig.

Good luck to AJ, hope he can stick in the league.

wintermute
07-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Good point I guess but I cant imagine Barbosa getting anymore than the tax payers MLE. The likely hood of a S&T is so small I guess the Knicks are possible. Jerome Jordan and a filler plus a future 2nd rd pick.

EDIT: Maybe the Lakers make sense now they got Nash aswell maybe a Darius Morris package?? Raja Bell just got cut I would imagine they go after him over Barbosa though.

Or the other team wants to save their MLE for someone else. It could happen - but I agree that the possibility is low.

Don't read too much into "clearing a roster spot". Teams can carry >15 players on the roster all the way through training camp. The roster limit isn't enforced until the season starts.

travmil
07-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Someone had to go. After buying a pick for Orlando Johnson, he's definitely going to be on the roster. I would suspect that they are hanging on to Barbosa until they need the spot. Is there any chance they could sign and trade Barbosa and wind up with a trade exception? If so that could be another reason to hang on to him for a while.

Sookie
07-08-2012, 11:13 PM
And goodbye Sookie :cry:

So long as you have Frank and Paul George you're likely stuck with me. :P (Although I won't lie, no Hibbert would be tough to swallow..)

I didn't think AJ was going to end up here this season anyway, and was a bit surprised when the team kept his rights at first. He needs a fresh start somewhere..(and to re-learn how to shoot). There are plenty of teams with essentially no backup point guard that would be better for him to be on, rather than being in Indiana stuck behind 2 point guards and 3 shooting guards we insist on playing at point. :P

vnzla81
07-08-2012, 11:24 PM
So long as you have Frank and Paul George you're likely stuck with me. :P (Although I won't lie, no Hibbert would be tough to swallow..)

:sad: .................

JK welcome back ;)

Kemo
07-08-2012, 11:28 PM

I have a feeling we will end up signing Robert Vaden to take AJ's spot ..

Mark it down PD ;)

5_7_Clash
07-08-2012, 11:29 PM
I hope somebody out there has been paying attention to him. He deserves a chance at a bigger role somewhere in the NBA. Best of luck, AJ!

Nuntius
07-08-2012, 11:29 PM
I like AJ. I'm kinda sad to see him go but it was to be expected. I wish him the best of luck. He'll surely find a roster spot somewhere.

Let's hope that we use his roster spot wisely :)

Heisenberg
07-08-2012, 11:31 PM
thread coule use a requiem of sorts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PRiPZlZj7j0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and of course

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp93/thankyoudonnie/aj-price_o_GIFSoupcom.gif

5_7_Clash
07-08-2012, 11:33 PM
http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp93/thankyoudonnie/aj-price_o_GIFSoupcom.gif

That GIF cracks me up every time.

ECKrueger
07-08-2012, 11:42 PM
I liked AJ. Sad to see him go, and I hope he gets another shot somewhere.

LoneGranger33
07-08-2012, 11:45 PM
I was holding on to hope that A.J. Price would return. I always hate to see the guys we draft leave the team. Hopefully, he'll get his shot fixed and land with another squad.

Day-V
07-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Best Alley-Ooper on the team.

For whatever that's worth.

rel
07-09-2012, 12:12 AM
man, I'm going to miss seeing him on the team. Just seemed like a good teammate. Good luck, Juice!

rabid
07-09-2012, 12:16 AM
Best of luck AJ.

Dr. Awesome
07-09-2012, 12:48 AM
I loved AJ Price, this sucks. I mean, I guess he wouldn't have been playing, but I still liked the guy.

Trader Joe
07-09-2012, 01:22 AM
What are we going to do without the push up champ :( I feel like he was a great locker room guy so that does hurt our chemistry was so good this past year.

jeffg-body
07-09-2012, 01:35 AM
I wish the best of luck for AJ and hope he lands with an NBA team and does well.

TMJ31
07-09-2012, 03:11 AM
Sad to see AJ go.

He did play some very good minutes for us at times, and I feel he was undervalued.

That being said, it just never worked out for him here playing-time-wise.

Hope he has success in the future against everyone but the Pacers.

RWB
07-09-2012, 08:48 AM
Is there any chance they could sign and trade Barbosa and wind up with a trade exception? If so that could be another reason to hang on to him for a while.

Not sure, but Barbosa has already made a comment (maybe Brazilian paper) that he would like to retun to the Pacers. Enjoyed his time here, good group of guys, and really liked the stability. Sorry guys and gals wish I could find it, but I read it about a month ago.

Speed
07-09-2012, 08:55 AM
I could see him with Chicago as a third Point Guard, he played nicely against them in the playoffs.

Justin Tyme
07-09-2012, 09:11 AM

Mark it down PD ;)

Nah, it will be Hal Wilmont.

Unclebuck
07-09-2012, 09:12 AM
Seemed like a nice and good guy, good teammate, not a bad 3rd string point guard. But I never really saw anything more than that.

Speed
07-09-2012, 09:21 AM
If he could raise his shooting percentage to mid 40s he'd have a much easier time.

.410, .356, .339 for his career.
.345, .275, .295 for 3's.

Thats tough to crack a rotation with those numbers.

Justin Tyme
07-09-2012, 09:25 AM
Stephenson needed Prices minutes at PG. This his Stephenson's year to make or break.

For some reason yesterday, I had a senior citizen moment, no it wasn't the 24 jars I bought, thinking I'd like to go to BLF and catch a couple summer league games to watch Johnson, JP, Stephenson, and Plumlee. I wanted to see what position Bird was having Lance play... PG. Then it clicked that the summer league was being played in Fl. I guess I'll have to put those plans on hold! LOL LOL LOL!

Doesn't summer league start today with Bird coaching the team?

billbradley
07-09-2012, 09:27 AM
But sadly I suspect that vnzla is correct and that A.J. will be playing overseas next year.

Nets are going to need cheap players...

xBulletproof
07-09-2012, 09:27 AM
There .... We did something during free agency. You guys satisfied now?

:D

Hypnotiq
07-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Stephenson needed Prices minutes at PG. This his Stephenson's year to make or break.

For some reason yesterday, I had a senior citizen moment, no it wasn't the 24 jars I bought, thinking I'd like to go to BLF and catch a couple summer league games to watch Johnson, JP, Stephenson, and Plumlee. I wanted to see what position Bird was having Lance play... PG. Then it clicked that the summer league was being played in Fl. I guess I'll have to put those plans on hold! LOL LOL LOL!

Doesn't summer league start today with Bird coaching the team?

No Burke is coaching the team i think

pacergod2
07-09-2012, 10:25 AM
The first thing I thought when I saw this on Twitter was, "Oh damn, I hope Sookie sticks around!"

vnzla81
07-09-2012, 10:33 AM
As a tribute to AJ Price.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HTQkiDBcgvI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Justin Tyme
07-09-2012, 10:43 AM
No Burke is coaching the team i think

Is Bird in charge of the Summer League team?

90'sNBARocked
07-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Well, AJ will be one less player that gets abused here on the board

He is good enough to stay in the league and would be suprised if he is not signed to an NBA roster this fall

I think the Knicks would make sense

ECKrueger
07-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Pretty sure he's just watching.

WhoLovesYaBaby?
07-09-2012, 11:57 AM
AJ's best moments were the post season against CHI two years ago. I thought he might break out after that, but he got edged out and his play suffered. He is cheap and has capabilities. Some team, either NBA or Europe, will see it and he will catch on.

Clearing a roster spot means a move in the works or at least intended.

WhoLovesYaBaby?
07-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Are we all talking Sookie or Snookie?

Speed
07-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Clearing a roster spot means a move in the works or at least intended.

I'd agree, the timing of it seems peculiar otherwise. It does free up a million dollars and a roster spot, but not really that big a deal unless something is cooking. They have roster spots available, and 1 million doesn't mean much unless its to make numbers work. It may mean nothing and its just cleaning up the books, but still the timing is odd.

Naptown_Seth
07-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Yeah, good luck AJ.

Exactly. Why would an owner "unwilling to spend" want to move a cheap PG off his books? You need to fill roster spots and he's cheap and reliable in the deep bench role.

Clearing him to sign Mayo is something an owner who's willing to spend would do, and Bird told us all that's not true, right?

Justin Tyme
07-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Pretty sure he's just watching.

Refresh my memory. When Bird left I thought it was said he'd be in charge of the draft and the Pacers summer league team. He isn't in charge of the summer league team, but just going to go watch Stephenson play?

Sookie
07-09-2012, 03:59 PM
If he could raise his shooting percentage to mid 40s he'd have a much easier time.

.410, .356, .339 for his career.
.345, .275, .295 for 3's.

Thats tough to crack a rotation with those numbers.

Yea..

He gets criticized for shot selection, but honestly, I never thought it was bad. I think he just never made shots, so people never wanted him to shoot. :P

I don't think I've ever seen a dip like that in a player. And if he wants to get minutes, he'll have to figure out whether this is a mechanical issue or it's in his head (or both) and fix it..

ECKrueger
07-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Refresh my memory. When Bird left I thought it was said he'd be in charge of the draft and the Pacers summer league team. He isn't in charge of the summer league team, but just going to go watch Stephenson play?

I think it may be something between watching and being in charge, actually:

Larry Bird is stepping down as Indiana Pacers team president but he still has a little work to do before he officially leaves. During the press conference to discuss his departure, along with naming Donnie Walsh as president of basketball operations and Kevin Pritchard as general manager, Bird enthusiastically mentioned that he will be working the NBA Draft on Thursday night.

No surprise there since Bird has been actively involved in the draft prep up to this point. What was surprising is that Bird later mentioned that he would work with the Pacers summer league team down in Orlando which will include rookies, free agents and current Pacers Lance Stephenson and Jeff Pendergraph. Bird joked that he wanted to work the summer league so he could see "his boy, Lance play every minute of every game."

http://www.indycornrows.com/2012/6/27/3120826/larry-bird-will-work-draft-summer-league-before-leaving-pacers?ref=yahoo

He'll be down there, but I don't think he'll be in charge, I get the feeling he's just helping out some.

Kemo
07-09-2012, 04:58 PM

Mark it down PD ;)

Don't like quoting myself , but I just saw an article on Pacers.com on Vaden just 5 min ago... Maybe my prediction has some legs?

vnzla81
07-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Exactly. Why would an owner "unwilling to spend" want to move a cheap PG off his books? You need to fill roster spots and he's cheap and reliable in the deep bench role.

Clearing him to sign Mayo is something an owner who's willing to spend would do, and Bird told us all that's not true, right?

Or another example of why Simon is so cheap is that he didn't want to spend 200k in a worthless point guard. ;)