PDA

View Full Version : Pacers considering Elton Brand

90'sNBARocked
07-08-2012, 07:43 AM
http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/indiana_pacers

Ken Berger: In addition to Dallas, Indiana is weighing whether to put in a bid for amnestied forward Elton Brand, leaugue source says. Twitter

Dallas Mavericks, Indiana Pacers, Philadelphia 76ers

Jeremy
07-08-2012, 09:16 AM
I think he would be a good 3rd big to put behind Roy and West.

90'sNBARocked
07-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Assuming the contract is reasonable I think its a solid move. Are PF rotation would have a good mix of vets and youth (West, Ty, Brand, Miles,..)

Eleazar
07-08-2012, 01:29 PM
I don't think it is so much about considering to bid for him, as much as it is considering how much to bid for him.

doctor-h
07-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Why on earth waste your time and money on another washed up undersized power forward who can't jump. Talk about protecting the rim, we would have nobody without Roy.

CJ Jones
07-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Why on earth waste your time and money on another washed up undersized power forward who can't jump. Talk about protecting the rim, we would have nobody without Roy.

He's not washed up. Defensively he's better then you guys are giving him credit for. He's averaged 2 blks and a steal his entire career, including last year. He shoots a high % and rebounds well, I don't see why people don't like him other than he's old. He really hasn't lost much of his game, since he never relied on athleticism. He seems like a leader too, and we could always use more of those.

I'd rather have a more permanent, younger option, but he'd be a nice temporary stopgap. Anythings better than Tyler at this point. Bid on him!!

daschysta
07-11-2012, 12:18 AM
There won't be much of a market for him, given his veteran, except among Winning teams, which have less money, bidding on amnestied players is the best way to get a "steal" of a deal.

He did average 11-7.2 with a steal and 1.6 blocks in 28.9 minutes. He'd be a nice backup that wouldn't likely cost much money at all, and his experience would be nice to have. If it's cheap I say pull the trigger, it is a position of need, and he's far better than freakin' Lou Amundson.

I mean obviously he's a shell of what he was, but he's an upgrade over any of our backup bigmen by a longshot, including Tyler, who I have very little faith in.

ECKrueger
07-11-2012, 12:18 AM
I'd bid it.

MillerTime
07-11-2012, 12:21 AM
Assuming we could get him for the right price, he would be a nice addition.

rock747
07-11-2012, 12:21 AM
Does bidding start now?

Anthem
07-11-2012, 12:40 AM
I'd bid it.
Absolutely. Much rather have him than Mayo.

presto123
07-11-2012, 01:01 AM
Can we get both and still sign Hibbert if we unload Hansbrough? Sounds like a plan to me.

Jeremy
07-11-2012, 07:21 AM
He's not washed up. Defensively he's better then you guys are giving him credit for. He's averaged 2 blks and a steal his entire career, including last year. He shoots a high % and rebounds well, I don't see why people don't like him other than he's old. He really hasn't lost much of his game, since he never relied on athleticism. He seems like a leader too, and we could always use more of those.

I'd rather have a more permanent, younger option, but he'd be a nice temporary stopgap. Anythings better than Tyler at this point. Bid on him!!Defense is more than just blocks and steals. He's not the best defender, but neither is Hansbrough or Amundson.

Justin Tyme
07-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Does bidding start now?

It started at 12:01 AM 7/11/2012.

I know the Pacers won't win the bid, but they definately need to bid on him.

I get sooo tired of hearing how old and worthless players are. Maybe some didn't watch that old brokendown Garrnett play in the playoffs. If it's a 20 year old kid who has never laced up his sneakers on a BB court but has potential it's better than an experienced older NBA player who still has something left in the tank to give.

I'll take Brand for the next 2-3 years over a good many players, PF, drafted over the last few years with all their potential. I want someone who knows how to play, knows the competition, and can still get the job done. Brand has playoff expirence and that's a plus. He knows what it takes to win. I'd be elated if the Pacers got Brand at the right price. If nothing else, it would be easier on me not having to watch Hansbrough struggle again this coming season. Here's to winning the bid!

_The_Future_
07-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Elton Brand is still a more than capable NBA player. Yes please.

Mourning
07-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Brand and a nice backup SG and we should be ready to roll into next season. During the season we can look to trade DC and Tyler for whatever we need, depending forexample on how Lance is coming along.

xIndyFan
07-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Does bidding start now?

It started at 12:01 AM 7/11/2012. . .

IIRC, the amnesty process starts 7/11 and continues thru 7/17. The bids are after that aren't they? This is an organized time for the amnesty. Not a 'as it happens' type thing.

naptownmenace
07-11-2012, 12:13 PM
IIRC, the amnesty process starts 7/11 and continues thru 7/17. The bids are after that aren't they? This is an organized time for the amnesty. Not a 'as it happens' type thing.

I don't think Philly has even filed the Amnesty papers on Brand yet. They have until the 17th to do so. After they waive him, teams can submit a bid for a player who has been waived via the amnesty clause, in a process called a partial waiver claim. I think teams can only submit 1 blind bid. The team with the highest bid gets to keep the player, paying only the amount of its bid.

pacergod2
07-11-2012, 12:25 PM
The one thing people haven't even discussed on here is that he is a fantastic passer for a big man. He is great out of the high post and forces bigs out to him which frees up space for the other bigs we have. He is has a GREAT BBIQ and is a veteran leader. He fits this team better than any other acquisition out there.

I would love a cheap bench option wing who can defend like a Brewer.

I would love a cheap PG option who can play as a 2A PG or let Stephenson get PG minutes. CJ Watson would be perfect.

Trade Collison, Hansborough, and a 2013 first for Millsap.

Hill, Watson/Stephenson
George, Brewer, Johnson
Granger, DJones
West, Millsap, Pendergraph
Hibbert, Brand, Plumlee

CableKC
07-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Defense is more than just blocks and steals. He's not the best defender, but neither is Hansbrough or Amundson.
Someone here posted it before....but there was some ESPN Insider article that explained why Brand was still one of the top defenders on the Sixers Frontcourt last season. Despite his age...he's still a better defender and more consistent option on the offensive end and IMHO a better fit next to West and Hibbert than Hansbrough is.

Hicks
07-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Remind me: How long is bidding open? 24 hours? A week?

Speed
07-11-2012, 12:59 PM
This is dated, but its post lock out, so it could be accurate.

http://allsportseverything.com/2011/12/the-nbas-new-amnesty-clause-explained-cause-youve-asked/

and I can't see where it says the timing of it....

CableKC
07-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Remind me: How long is bidding open? 24 hours? A week?
I can't find an official source indicating what the actual rule actually is....but I found this as an example when BDiddy was amnestied:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7354164/cleveland-cavaliers-use-amnesty-clause-waive-baron-davis

If he clears waivers 48 hours after his release, Davis, 32, will then have the right to proceed to free agency and pick his next team.

If we use this as a rule of thumb......then it's 48 hours after a Player is amnestied.....the bidding process begins as a "silent auction" ( according to Larry Coon ).

Speed
07-11-2012, 01:10 PM
The amnesty period is 7 days after the end of the moratorium, so the teams have until 7/18/12 to amnesty their players I believe, then if the above is correct.. 48 hours after that for the claim process to work out.... What I don't know is if that 48 hours, starts the day you amnesty them or at the end of the 7 day period 7/18/12... if that makes any sense.

"For the 2012-13 through 2015-16 seasons it is available for the first seven days that follow the July moratorium (see question number 101 (http://www.pacersdigest.com/#Q101))."

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q67

Nuntius
07-11-2012, 01:14 PM
The one thing people haven't even discussed on here is that he is a fantastic passer for a big man. He is great out of the high post and forces bigs out to him which frees up space for the other bigs we have. He is has a GREAT BBIQ and is a veteran leader. He fits this team better than any other acquisition out there.

Basically, he has the same skill set with David West. Brand is longer and West is stronger but their skill sets are quite similar.

CableKC
07-11-2012, 01:18 PM
The amnesty period is 7 days after the end of the moratorium, so the teams have until 7/18/12 to amnesty their players I believe, then if the above is correct.. 48 hours after that for the claim process to work out.... What I don't know is if that 48 hours, starts the day you amnesty them or at the end of the 7 day period 7/18/12... if that makes any sense.

"For the 2012-13 through 2015-16 seasons it is available for the first seven days that follow the July moratorium (see question number 101 (http://www.pacersdigest.com/#Q101))."

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q67
My guess....only because it makes sense....is that the 48 hours starts after the Team amnesties the Player....not at the end of the 7 day period. If it was after the 7 day period....then the period to claim a Player could be anywhere between 48 hours ( if he is waived at the end of the 7 day period ) to 9 days ( if he is waived at the beginning of the 7 day period ).

CableKC
07-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Basically, he has the same skill set with David West. Brand is longer and West is stronger but their skill sets are quite similar.
If David West ~ Elton Brand, then ( David West x 2 ) | ( Elton Brand x 2 ) > David West + Hansbrough.

Nuntius
07-11-2012, 01:29 PM
If David West ~ Elton Brand, then ( David West x 2 ) | ( Elton Brand x 2 ) > David West + Hansbrough.

It sure is better. Brand is consistent. Hans is only consistent when it comes to FTs. Let's hope that he can show us more this year :D

PS: I believe that David West is a bit better than Elton Brand at the moment. I wasn't really commenting on their respective skill levels. I was commenting on their skill sets. Just to make myself clear :)

pacergod2
07-11-2012, 02:17 PM
I would say that is pretty accurate that they have similar skill sets. I think Brand is the better defender and West has better range on his jumper. They could easily play together and would be a tough as nails front court. West would play a bit further from the basket when they would play together.

I think the fit is way too good not to pursue him. We would only be on the hook for one year and maintain his Bird Rights, since the league gifted the Knicks and Clippers that this year.

Justin Tyme
07-13-2012, 11:18 AM
In approximately 5 hours and 38 min the Brand amenesty bid result will be announced. It will be interesting to see the results!

cgg
07-13-2012, 11:48 AM
.61ppp on post up defense (14th in nba) and .7ppp on p&r roll man defense (9th in nba.) Hibbert is .71 (47th) and .82 (39th)

hmm...

*astrisk*
07-13-2012, 11:52 AM
In approximately 5 hours and 38 min the Brand amenesty bid result will be announced. It will be interesting to see the results!

And Roy and George will likely be signing at 4 o'clock presser... Hope its not a coincidence...

Pacer Fan
07-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Anyone know if Barbosa's cap hold has been renounced? If it hasn't been, I don't see how Pacers could bid on Brand.

cgg
07-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Anyone know if Barbosa's cap hold has been renounced? If it hasn't been, I don't see how Pacers could bid on Brand.

I could be wrong, but I think we don't have to renounce it unless we win.

granger4mvp
07-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Sounds like we didn't even bid on Brand damn shame

Pacer Fan
07-13-2012, 01:17 PM
I could be wrong, but I think we don't have to renounce it unless we win.

You are probably right, I was under the understanding that the teams had to be under cap, period. Meaning they have to lose some or all TPE, Exceptions, renounce cap holds, whatever it take to get under cap in order to bid, then if they lose the bid, they can rescind cap holds, Exceptions, but can not rescind on TPE's. TPE's are gone once renounced.

Psyren
07-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Sounds like we didn't even bid on Brand damn shame

How do you figure?

Theres been no info leaked on any teams that have bid.

We assume Dallas will and possibly Charlotte, but we likely wont have a clue until 5

cgg
07-13-2012, 01:34 PM
How do you figure?

Theres been no info leaked on any teams that have bid.

We assume Dallas will and possibly Charlotte, but we likely wont have a clue until 5

Press conference an hour before that seems to indicate that we didn't, but who knows.

imawhat
07-13-2012, 01:54 PM
If capable, I wouldn't be surprised if Houston scoops him up. It doesn't make sense now, but it might in a few days.

khaos01207
07-13-2012, 02:00 PM
I'm personally just glad to see the FO finally going after players!

naptownmenace
07-13-2012, 02:10 PM
And Roy and George will likely be signing at 4 o'clock presser... Hope its not a coincidence...

If Roy and George sign at 4, that means the Pacers will be over the cap and can't bid on Brand or Scola. :(

Speed
07-13-2012, 02:13 PM
If Roy and George sign at 4, that means the Pacers will be over the cap and can't bid on Brand or Scola. :(

Yes, for Scola, but Brand hit waivers on Wednesday, the claim process will be completed and he'll have a new team at 4pm today.

Kraft
07-13-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm not sure what a press conference has to do with what exact time the Pacers submit contracts to the league offices. They could've done that yesterday or this morning. There's no way of knowing the timing of all this stuff.

Speed
07-13-2012, 02:35 PM
So, here's the grassy knoll theory. They have not submitted the contracts, until they find out "officially" if their bid for Brand was the highest, therefore, they'd have the cap room/ability to bid. At 4 pm, they'll know if they got Brand or did not get Brand, either way, at that point they are signing and submitting the contract for H an H. Betty is in the back faxing in the paperwork on the big fellas and Hills contract to the league at 4:01. 4:02 KP, DW, H and H yucking it up with Wells and Kravitz. Sure its not true, but it thats how it could work.

Manguera
07-13-2012, 02:40 PM
My feeling is that if we put in our bid at any time before we signed Hill and Hibs we would be considered as under the cap even if/when we win the bid after they're signed. Reason being that the contract is already in place when we make the bid and Brand HAS to sign it. I could be completely wrong but that seems logical. :whoknows:

Shade
07-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Rumor on Hornets Report (http://www.hornetsreport.com/HRForums/showthread.php?71817-Final-Bids-are-in) is that Nawlins has won the bid for Brand.

vnzla81
07-13-2012, 05:10 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
The Dallas Mavericks have successfully claimed Elton Brand off amnesty waivers, a league source tells Y! Sports.

2.1mil :bananadea

Pacer Fan
07-13-2012, 05:13 PM
2.1? really...wow!

that's unbelievable!

Pacer Fan
07-13-2012, 05:16 PM
That doesn't even make sense, I mean, it's been known that Dallas wanted him and he wanted to go there. So, what, nobody else bid on him. That 2.1 is like the minimum. Just don't seem right.

vnzla81
07-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
With $2.1 mil bid Mavs win amnesty auction for Brand to reunite him w/Dirk's buddy Chris Kaman on retooled front line:

Mad-Mad-Mario
07-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Well guess all my hopes will rest on trading psycho T and winning the bid for scola

Justin Tyme
07-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Quick KP figure out away to trade Hansbro for cap to bid on Scola. Throw in the 013 pick and Stanko too. Whatever is necessary!

Pacer Fan
07-13-2012, 05:23 PM
Well guess all my hopes will rest on trading psycho T and winning the bid for scola

KP said on 1070 that amnesty is not reality. Pacers are over the cap.

Slick Pinkham
07-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Would trading Hans for picks put us under the cap?

Why would a team under the cap trade for Hans, rather than bid a lesser amount and likely get Scola?

We have what we have.

Mad-Mad-Mario
07-13-2012, 05:25 PM
KP said on 1070 that amnesty is not reality. Pacers are over the cap.

If we are over the cap I guess that means we front loaded some of the contracts we signed recently

PritchSlap
07-13-2012, 05:33 PM
I can't believe we couldn't figure out a way to spend more than 2.1 mil to get Brand..

Pacer Fan
07-13-2012, 05:38 PM
This isn't exact, rather rounded up or down and figuring Orlando will be signed.

Salary cap is 58mil.

Granger 13m
West 10m
Hibbert 14.5m
Hill 8m
Mahinmi 4m
Green 3.5m
Augustin 3.5m
Hansbrough 3m
George 2.5m
Pendergraph 1.5m
Plumlee 1m
Stephenson 1m
Johnson 1m

66.5 mil in total salary

Cubs231721
07-13-2012, 05:39 PM

Why would a team under the cap trade for Hans, rather than bid a lesser amount and likely get Scola?

We have what we have.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't put the Pacers under, and even if it did there wouldn't be nearly enough space to even bid the minimum on Scola. It's hard to project exactly without knowing the year by year breakdown of contracts, but after Hibbert and Hill signed the Pacers should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-7 million over the cap. So they'd have to cut at least 7-8 million to have enough to bid on Scola, and Hansbrough only makes just over 3.

Justin Tyme
07-13-2012, 05:39 PM

We have what we have.

B/c that team doesn't need Scola, but could use the pick and Stanko. Hans would be an expiring.

Just want KP to work some magic so as to be able to bid on Scola. Heck, if waiving Stephenson would help get cap to bid on Scola then do it.

I truly wish I knew how much cap the Pacers currently have. It will come out in the wash later, so I hope what has been said about no cap left to bid on amnestied players is being up front.

The Future
07-13-2012, 05:40 PM
4 yr 16 mill on Mahimi and we dont get a proven veteran that would be a key addition off the bench....

This is sickening

Pacer Fan
07-13-2012, 05:44 PM
B/c that team doesn't need Scola, but could use the pick and Stanko. Hans would be an expiring.

Just want KP to work some magic so as to be able to bid on Scola. Heck, if waiving Stephenson would help get cap to bid on Scola then do it.

I truly wish I knew how much cap the Pacers currently have. It will come out in the wash later, so I hope what has been said about no cap left to bid on amnestied players is being up front.

66.5 mil in total salary...8.5 mil over the cap. Hans isn't going to help get under the cap.

ilive4sports
07-13-2012, 05:46 PM
I think if we could have flipped Hans for Augustin we would have put a bid in for Brand or Scola. But we are pretty well over the cap now, probably don't want to get much closer to the Luxury Tax.

Slick Pinkham
07-13-2012, 05:52 PM
If those figures are even approximately right, we could not even get under the cap enough to bid on Scola by trading Hansbrough, Pendergraph, Stephenson for NOTHING but draft picks and then also releasing the draft rights to O. Johnson.

There is no possible way.

Roster done, other than veteran min fillers or undrafted rookies