PDA

View Full Version : ESPN and Yahoo RSS feeds: Stay or go?

Hicks
07-07-2012, 03:33 PM
I want to take a poll to see how most of the board feels about them.

I tend to view PD using the "What's New?" button, which shows all new unread posts from all boards, listed together on one page from newest to oldest.

This tends to get cluttered at times with the RSS feeds from ESPN and Yahoo, and since I'm a regular Twitter follower and we have a very active member base, I usually already know what 95% of them are reporting in the headline anyway.

So I was thinking of just getting rid of them. But if a lot of people value them, I'm okay with keeping them, I guess. I mean personally I'd like to see them go, but if there's a lot of people who feel differently, then fair enough. I never really see/hear much one way or the other from members about this, so maybe no one cares?

Lance George
07-07-2012, 03:35 PM
I think they're probably unnecessary considering any news will be brought to the board by its members.

ballism
07-07-2012, 03:37 PM
i don't use the "what's new" button and i very rarely check the RSS feeds (only when something accidentally catches my eye).

Sandman21
07-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Where's the "Holy Crap, we have ESPN and Yahoo RSS feeds?" option?

ballism
07-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Where's the "Holy Crap, we have ESPN and Yahoo RSS feeds?" option?

heh. indeed. or the 'What's new' button, I wasn't aware of it until now. Typically I just refresh the Pacers sub-forum time to time, and that's it.

Major Cold
07-07-2012, 03:45 PM
It would be awesome to have a feed from your twitter Hicks. Or other journalists as well. Kinda like the hoopshype feed, but without the malware.

I don't use the RSS feeds.

Steagles
07-07-2012, 03:46 PM
I like them, and I hope you keep them. I like seeing the news with those that the members don't really put out there, like olympics and more minor injuries, etc.

Hicks
07-07-2012, 03:47 PM
It would be awesome to have a feed from your twitter Hicks. Or other journalists as well. Kinda like the hoopshype feed, but without the malware.

I don't use the RSS feeds.

Isn't that already available just by going to Twitter and following my account? Or do you mean you want one of those embedded boxes that shows my last 5 (or however many) tweets?

cramerica
07-08-2012, 12:16 AM
I hope they stay as well. Don't have twitter and don't plan on getting one. Please keep them up there. Thanks.

Hicks
07-08-2012, 12:48 AM
You guys that aren't on Twitter are missing out. Best way to date to get breaking news from all kinds of sources, and you control who your sources are. Plus, you can ask media folks questions and often get responses. Pretty cool.

HC
07-08-2012, 01:03 AM
There isn't an option for my vote, but I felt like I would give some input. I don't use them at all, and I don't care if they stay or go. For me they are not necessary, nor are they a nuisance.

Sandman21
07-08-2012, 01:43 AM
You guys that aren't on Twitter are missing out. Best way to date to get breaking news from all kinds of sources, and you control who your sources are. Plus, you can ask media folks questions and often get responses. Pretty cool.

Not just media, sometimes players too. Remember Dahntay's impromptu Twitter online chant with fans during the lockout? While big names were making asses of themselves, Dahntay was explaining the union's position online.

cdash
07-08-2012, 01:45 AM
Apathy reigns supreme here.

Personally, if I see something posted by RoboHicks, I usually ignore it. I don't know the last time (if ever, in my time on PD) that there was a genuine discussion in the RSS feed threads. Like others have said, if it is worth discussing, someone posts a thread about it and it takes off from there. If it is eating bandwidth or something, it's expendable, imo.

Psyren
07-08-2012, 01:49 AM
To be honest, I never even glance at things posted by RoboHicks, and I usually already know whatever it posts anyways. Granted, I use twitter so i get the news far before Its ever posted by RH.

As said above, if its worthwhile, theres a very good chance someone has already posted it.

I cant speak for non Twitter users though.

Brad8888
07-08-2012, 01:02 PM
I have a twitter account that I set up during one of the board outages, but I have absolutely no idea whether I set it up correctly (cue hearty outbursts of laughter) because I tried to send a message to a couple of people who didn't respond, and nobody that I know in real life has a twitter account (cue the "OMG he is frikkin' OLD" comments with additional laughter). Immediately after doing so, I did begin receiving spam messages on that account requesting to follow me for no apparent reason.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As far as the RSS feeds here, there are times that they will post either league wide news that is Pacers relevant, or actual Pacers related stories prior to anyone here having posted them, and I wonder how many times that posters have read the feeds and then posted them in the main forum for discussion purposes without going off site to find them? I know that I have once or twice.

Is there a way to add a specific window on this site that would monitor your twitter PD account and automatically post anything with a link on here?

redfoster
07-08-2012, 06:40 PM
I thought I had a great solution for everyone and added RoboHicks to my ignore list, but it doesn't hide the topics on the What's New tab, unfortunately.

I would like it to go because it clutters up the activity list terribly. I have to read through 10 news story titles I already know about when looking for new discussions and sometimes click on them thinking people are discussing the news, only to find it be a link to Yahoo. Kind of annoying.

PritchSlap
07-08-2012, 09:22 PM

Speaking of all this Twitter mumbo jumbo, any chance we can we can add our Twitter handles to our profiles and maybe have them show up on the left with our posts? People like Hicks tweet some pretty interesting stuff.

travmil
07-08-2012, 10:24 PM
I have Twitter, but outside of choosing people to follow, I have NO idea how to use it. If I wanted to tweet a question to one of the people I follow I have no clue. I don't know how to use hash tags or mentions or retweets. In fact, a "Twitter for Dummies" thread might not be a bad idea around here.

Major Cold
07-08-2012, 11:37 PM
Isn't that already available just by going to Twitter and following my account? Or do you mean you want one of those embedded boxes that shows my last 5 (or however many) tweets?

Thats exactly what I was thinking. But I couldn't think it. I enjoy reading you banter with the national reporters.

ECKrueger
07-08-2012, 11:47 PM
I have Twitter, but outside of choosing people to follow, I have NO idea how to use it. If I wanted to tweet a question to one of the people I follow I have no clue. I don't know how to use hash tags or mentions or retweets. In fact, a "Twitter for Dummies" thread might not be a bad idea around here.

If you wanted to ask Hicks something, you would just write a new tweet and use his name in it. Like "Hey @HicksPD, should the Pacers..."

hashtags aren't really important. They are just used so if multiple people use the same hash, twitter knows that it is popular subject.

Retweet means you just take someone elses tweet and tweet it again on your profile. It would be like if you took someone's post here and quoted it somewhere else and said hey, look what this guy said.

Hopefully that helps some.

--------

As far as the feeds go, I don't use them at all, but they certainly don't hurt any thing as far as I'm aware.

rexnom
07-08-2012, 11:48 PM
I want to take a poll to see how most of the board feels about them.

I tend to view PD using the "What's New?" button, which shows all new unread posts from all boards, listed together on one page from newest to oldest.

This tends to get cluttered at times with the RSS feeds from ESPN and Yahoo, and since I'm a regular Twitter follower and we have a very active member base, I usually already know what 95% of them are reporting in the headline anyway.

So I was thinking of just getting rid of them. But if a lot of people value them, I'm okay with keeping them, I guess. I mean personally I'd like to see them go, but if there's a lot of people who feel differently, then fair enough. I never really see/hear much one way or the other from members about this, so maybe no one cares?
Had no idea you could view the board like that. Holy crap.

Minny
07-09-2012, 05:44 AM
Twitter is awesome for anyone who isn't on it yet

Last year I got into a big back and forth with a random bulls fan on twitter during the bulls/pacers series, I live in Minnesota and it turned out this Bulls fan also lived in Minnesota, long story short, we ended up meeting, and a year later, we are now engaged(asked her to marry me 1week ago) I had only been on Twitter for about 2weeks before my encounter with her, I am not saying this is going to happen to everyone, but twitter is amazing, its not your typical facebook/myspace nonsense, give it a try

travmil
07-09-2012, 07:45 AM
If a Bulls fan and a Pacers fan can argue on Twitter, then end up meeting and falling in love, I have renewed hope for the world.

vapacersfan
07-09-2012, 09:54 AM

I have searched for 45 minutes, and I cannot figure out the new search system. I miss the old set up where you could search by specific forum.

A while ago someone (perhaps Seth or Duke) posted a whole thread that was basically a twitter for dummies. It was a great thread, and helped me out a lot with just understanding the basics.