PDA

View Full Version : Tell Monica Seles that fans should not be attacked when they

Unclebuck
11-22-2004, 08:50 PM
walk onto the floor or get near the floor. For some of you young guys out therer she was stabbed in the back by a fan, the fan did not even leave the stands, he just leaned over and stabbed her.

Tell that to the first base coach when he was attacked last year.

A question just popped into my head. Remember when the first base coach was attacked by those two fans and the players came to the coaches aid, why didn't those players get suspended, they did afterall attack a fan on the field just like J.O did.

You say well those two fat guys could not have hurt J.O or Artest, we don't know if those guys had a knife or who knows what. There were also some Pacers assistant coaches in the area and some of them are small guys.

If any fan walks towarsds a player or walks onto the court in any fashion the player should have the right to pummel them.

Suaveness
11-22-2004, 08:58 PM
UB, I was totally thinking of that Seles incident. It is just so easy for fans to harm a player. This is why it is understandable for someone to defend themselves.

TheSauceMaster
11-22-2004, 09:07 PM
I forgot again if a fan is assualting you where does it say again you can't protect yourself and your life if you feel threatened ?

Oh I forgot there NBA players:rolleyes:

The Michgan Prosocuter said the guy who threw the beer is guilty of assualt , if your being assaulted your allowed to defend yourself,

MarionDeputy
11-22-2004, 09:30 PM
If any fan walks towarsds a player or walks onto the court in any fashion the player should have the right to pummel them.

I agree 100% You have no idea what a persons intentions are when they approach you. I have been involved in several fights/altercations you cannot accurately know the terror of someone approaching you with hostile intentions until it happens. Players should be able to assume that any fan that makes it past security and on to floor means them ill will and should justify pre-emptive actions.

Peck
11-22-2004, 09:33 PM
Where does it stop though saucemaster?

If the guy throws a cup of beer do you get to hit him once? Twice? five times? Do you get to pummel him unconscious?

What you are talking about is revenge, not defending yourself.

As to the fans on the floor. Ron was justified in hitting him because the guy actually initially had his fist clenched & appeared threatening. However I just don't see how Jermaine is going to get off with self defense or even defense of another person when the guy is on his back.

sweabs
11-22-2004, 09:37 PM
Yup. They used the Monica Seles incident in comparison on a radio show today. It was a call-in show that was supposed to be about the entire Pistons/Pacers ordeal...but like usual the hosts went off topic and kept relating it to hockey.

I called in - and VENTED LIKE YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE.

They let me speak for 15 minutes straight...no joke. Mostly because I had superior knowledge compared to them on the subject - but they were interested in learning some of what actually happened besides the opinions from a couple Canadian stations covering the topic.

It is reassuring to know others here in my city heard me too. Let the truth be told.

TheSauceMaster
11-22-2004, 10:18 PM
Where does it stop though saucemaster?

If the guy throws a cup of beer do you get to hit him once? Twice? five times? Do you get to pummel him unconscious?

What you are talking about is revenge, not defending yourself.

As to the fans on the floor. Ron was justified in hitting him because the guy actually initially had his fist clenched & appeared threatening. However I just don't see how Jermaine is going to get off with self defense or even defense of another person when the guy is on his back.

Well you stop when his agression ceases ;) Why do police offciers or people who have someone break in there house feel unloading 15 rounds is okay after they know they hit the person 1 time :p

Slick Pinkham
11-23-2004, 12:55 PM
Monica would have been just fine if the guy had only had a beer cup.

Ron was in no physical danger whatsoever until he made the decision to enter the stands. This is not so hard to understand, even if it means that "one of our own" went wrong.

RWB
11-23-2004, 01:51 PM
Tom I don't mean to be a smart@ss, well I guess I do but I didn't know they handed out knives at tennis matches? I said it before and I'll say it again the blame falls squarely on the Palace's security (or should I say lack of).

Slick Pinkham
11-23-2004, 03:17 PM
I can see UB's point when talking specifically about the punches on the floor.

You never know what a stranger is going to do, and that's why you get away from them. You certainly don't go AFTER them, and you don't provoke a thousand of their sympathizers by entering the stands.

I know it's 20-20 hindsight, and most of us would make the same mistakes if placed in that position, but a frustrating number of people don't even have 20-20 hindsight.

Monica Seles was an innocent victim. She was not in a fight. Ron, Steven, and Jermaine were not 100% at fault but they shoulder a lot of the blame for helping to transform a bad situation to the worst riot in the history of American sports by choosing to fight and to escalate the chaos.