PDA

View Full Version : Ken Berger: Pacers Bidding on Brand?

Lance George
07-06-2012, 08:18 PM
There's such little Pacers talk going on, I figured this was worth its own thread...

Ken Berger (KBergCBS) on Twitter (https://twitter.com/KBergCBS)

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS
In addition to Dallas, Indiana is weighing whether to put in a bid for amnestied forward Elton Brand, leaugue source says.

Peck
07-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Well honestly if you could get him on the cheap, sure why not? He'd have to back up Roy (assuming we re-sign him) but he's still very capable of holding down the middle for awhile. Not a good fit next to Tyler, but then again is anyone?

Psyren
07-06-2012, 08:22 PM
As with any player, it depends on the cost.

I remember a game last year where Brand could barely miss and he ripped us to shreds.

Hypnotiq
07-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Very nice this shows that the FO knows Tyler sucks and are at least looking at upgrading it

Derek2k3
07-06-2012, 08:23 PM
That would freaking rock.

Pick him up for $4Mish, sign Mayo for $6M, re-sign Roy.

1st team:
Hill
PG
DG33
DWest
Roy

2nd team:
DC
Mayo
Dahntay
Brand
Plumlee

*drools*

BornReady
07-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Not to take things off topic, and I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but Pacers talked to Gerald Green.

pezasied182
07-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Definite upgrade over Hans. He's probably the best third big the Pacers could get (realistically speaking if Roy is matched) and only has one year left. The only snag could be Dallas taking a one year flyer on him and outbidding the Pacers.

NapTonius Monk
07-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Not a good fit next to TylerHopefully this doesn't factor in not bringing him here. In the short term, I'd rather give Tyler's minutes to Brand.

DGPR
07-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Brand off the bench would be awesome

Sollozzo
07-06-2012, 08:33 PM
He would give us a very solid presence off of the bench. That would be a solid signing if you could get him for cheap.

Pacers4Life
07-06-2012, 08:34 PM
That would freaking rock.

Pick him up for $4Mish, sign Mayo for $6M, re-sign Roy.

*drools*

George hill just signed with us for the widely speculated sum of roughly 6-7 mil a season.. I think mayo would need far more than 6 million.. To come to Indiana. :/

ballism
07-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Pick him up for $4Mish

that bid will be beaten in a blink. He can make more in Europe.

*edit* i mean, that's WAY below market price. Brand at 4 mil would be cheap for Europe. It doesn't seem close to realistic for the NBA.

pezasied182
07-06-2012, 08:43 PM

He doesn't have a say on where he plays, whoever bids the most for him gets him, and if it is only Dallas and Indiana bidding, it could come out pretty cheap.

EDIT: but yes I agree it will probably be more than $4 mil.

DGPR
07-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Philly has to pay the remainder of the $18 million I think.

Pacer Fan
07-06-2012, 08:49 PM

Philly pays the remainder which would be 14 mil...Brand still gets his 18mil

ballism
07-06-2012, 08:53 PM
He doesn't have a say on where he plays, whoever bids the most for him gets him, and if it is only Dallas and Indiana bidding, it could come out pretty cheap.

EDIT: but yes I agree it will probably be more than $4 mil.

sure he has no say. just saying how ridiculous that number looks.
they are cutting him because he's overpriced at 18 mil, not because he's a McRoberts level scrub.
if noone is bidding, why wouldn't the Bobcats or the Cavs just come in and take him for 6-8 mil? He will still be a great value as an expiring at that price, they can keep him for the year or trade him to a contender at the deadline. Or the Hornets, they have no PF at all.

ballism
07-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Philly has to pay the remainder of the $18 million I think.

I'm not saying he should go to Europe, he can't go there. FIBA wouldn't allow it. Poorly put on my part.

ilive4sports
07-06-2012, 08:54 PM
If we bring Brand in, I will certainly buy his jersey, just because we share the same last name and I'm not one for custom jerseys.

Also I think that would be a sign that Tyler would be moved.

joey
07-06-2012, 08:58 PM
George hill just signed with us for the widely speculated sum of roughly 6-7 mil a season.. I think mayo would need far more than 6 million.. To come to Indiana. :/

Mike Wells had an article today that has it at 5 year, 40 million... don't know if that's official yet or just more speculation.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120706/SPORTS04/207060340/NBA-Free-Agency-Pacers-give-George-Hill-big-raise-Roy-Hibbert-next-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports (http://www.indystar.com/article/20120706/SPORTS04/207060340/NBA-Free-Agency-Pacers-give-George-Hill-big-raise-Roy-Hibbert-next-?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CSports)

Shade
07-06-2012, 09:06 PM
We'll put in a lowball bid.

shags
07-06-2012, 09:14 PM
they are cutting him because he's overpriced at 18 mil, not because he's a McRoberts level scrub.
if noone is bidding, why wouldn't the Bobcats or the Cavs just come in and take him for 6-8 mil? He will still be a great value as an expiring at that price, they can keep him for the year or trade him to a contender at the deadline. Or the Hornets, they have no PF at all.

If Brand gets picked up in the amnesty bidding process, he can't be traded.

Steagles
07-06-2012, 09:18 PM

Yeah but Cuban probably will either do the same or bid something retarded like 12 million.

Eleazar
07-06-2012, 09:22 PM

If that is the case you pass, anything more than 4 or 5 and you are overpaying.

ballism
07-06-2012, 09:23 PM
If Brand gets picked up in the amnesty bidding process, he can't be traded.

interesting, I wasn't aware.
i suppose that only leaves S&T, they do get his Bird rights.
either way, he's not a 4 mil player.

ballism
07-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Yeah but Cuban probably will either do the same or bid something retarded like 12 million.

Yes, if Dallas bids, it can get high. They have to renounce their exceptions before they have cap room.
So if they do that and take part in the bidding, they'll see it through. Otherwise they just wasted their exceptions.

If Dallas decides exceptions > Brand, I'd except a team like the Hornets or the Bobcats to place a decent bid.

pacers74
07-06-2012, 09:37 PM
I wanted him a few years back. Now I could take him or leave him. I bet we get overbid. If it is beteween him or Humphries, I would rather have Hump.

WhoLovesYaBaby?
07-07-2012, 01:35 AM
Brand still has plenty left in the tank. Take him if he is cheap.

cdash
07-07-2012, 02:02 AM

He doesn't deserve anything more.

Lance George
07-07-2012, 04:20 AM
Here are the players amnestied back in December: 2011-12 Amnesty Tracker | NBA.com (http://www.nba.com/news/amnesty-tracker/index.html)

The Clippers won Chauncey Billups with a bid of, "about $2 million. (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/12/the-clippers-have-won-the-winning-waiver-bid-on-chauncey-billups-who-was-amnestied-by-the-new-york-knicks-two-people-fami.html)"

The Knicks signed Baron Davis for the $1.4M veteran's minimum (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7369234/new-york-knicks-officially-sign-baron-davis-cleveland-cavaliers-cut-pg).

The Kings signed Travis Outlaw for $12M over four seasons (http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2011/12/18/2644106/travis-outlaw-sacramento-kings-amnesty-waivers).

Just looking at these salaries, it looks like Elton could come very cheap. $3M might be enough.

presto123
07-07-2012, 04:22 AM
Elton Brand off the bench would be a nice fit I think.

pacer4ever
07-07-2012, 04:38 AM
If I am a team like the bobcats I would bid 5 or 6 million then flip him at the deadline to a contender.

CJ Jones
07-07-2012, 05:54 AM
I like Brand. He could be to our 2nd unit what West is to our starters IMO. I like him better than Kaman for this team as long as we bring back Roy.

CooperManning
07-07-2012, 05:59 AM
I don't really think Brand is a good fit. But to those who think he's lost it, ESPN Insider Tom Haberstroh article from last April:

Let me ask a simple question:

Why isn't Elton Brand a candidate for defensive player of the year?

I know what you're thinking: Wait, Elton Brand? The guy who makes $17 million to average 11 points per game and has limited mobility? That Elton Brand?

Yes, I'm talking about that Elton Brand, and here's why:

He checks off more boxes on the defensive player of the year rubric than just about any big man in the league.

Not a believer? Start at the team level. If you look at the history of the defensive player of the year vote, you'll notice a pretty obvious trend: The winner almost always hails from a top defensive team. Over the past decade, here are the ranks of the DPOY in team defensive rating, starting with the most recent: 3rd, 3rd, 1st, 1st, 11th, 5th, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 8th.

With the exception of Marcus Camby in 2006-07 and Ben Wallace in 2001-02, you see that every DPOY winner comes from a top-5 defensive team in the league. Obviously this makes sense. This team-then-player philosophy is largely the same logic behind the MVP award as well. In that vein, the Philadelphia 76ers, unbeknownst to too many fans, remain the top defensive team in the league. Sure, the Sixers have been in a standings freefall for some time now, but blame the offense for that; their defense has ranked second in efficiency since the All-Star break. So, Brand has that going for him right off the bat.

Secondly, believe it or not, Brand has the box score stats to back up his candidacy. Brand is in the midst of a career year in defensive stops department, averaging 1.7 blocks and 1.1 steals per game. Here's the long list of players who can match Brand in those two categories: Howard and Josh Smith. That's it. You'll see Smith and Howard on the list of defensive player of the year candidates, but probably not the big man in Philadelphia.

Now, Brand might have lost a step or two after Achilles surgery, but he simply has a knack for the ball thanks to his sharp instincts and airplane-like 7-foot-5.5-inch wingspan. In fact, among NBA players, only Bismack Biyombo has a longer wingspan at Brand's height, according to DraftExpress' pre-draft measurement database. And night in and night out, his length continues to catch opposing players by surprise despite his 12-year track record in the league.

Take Tuesday, for instance. Heading into a matchup against the Sixers, Miami Heat coach Erik Spoelstra specifically wrote in the game's scouting report to beware of Brand's hands in the lane. "He's very deceptively long," Spoelstra told the media before Tuesday's game. "He's one of the best at stripping the ball, and thanks to his aesthetics, his natural gifts are very underrated." And what happened in that game? Despite the Heat's prep work, Brand got his hand on the ball three times in the Heat's first five possessions. When the final buzzer sounded, Brand had collected four steals and three blocks in just 31 minutes of action.

So, Brand has the team qualifications and the traditional box score stats on his side, but we're just getting started. Sure, Brand has his hands on the ball in the lane and at the rim, but what about his post defense?

Defending the post-up

Synergy Sports Technology, a video tracking service provided to NBA teams, tracks every possession of every game played in the NBA and slices each game into play types. One of the plays Synergy tracks is the post-up; it analyzes how many points a player allows in those situations. So where does Brand rank in points allowed on post-up plays? First. Nobody is better this season. Not Howard. Not Andrew Bynum. Not Kevin Garnett.

In fact, according to Synergy tracking, there are 39 players who have defended at least 100 post-up plays this season, and Brand ranks first in points allowed per post-up play (0.582). And it's not really close. The distance between Brand and the second-ranked player Marc Gasol (.664) is the about the same distance between Gasol and the 13th-ranked player Samuel Dalembert (.750). Opponents going against Brand in the post have shot an abysmal 31 percent on their field goals, but more importantly, Brand plays them clean, as they earn a trip to the free throw line only once every 20 tries. For reference, players going against Howard go to the line four times as often as Brand.

And as Spoelstra emphasized Tuesday, the key to Brand's defensive success is that he's wildly deceptive. Just when a post player thinks he can score on a 6-foot-9 veteran who's lost a step, Brand will extend his Go-Go-Gadget arms and distract him just enough to alter the shot without fouling. Not only that, at 280 pounds, Brand is virtually unmovable on the block. After Tuesday's game, Brand's defense prompted Chris Bosh to shake his head and groan that the 33-year-old is "like a tree stump." Indeed, the length of a tree and anchored like a stump.

Brand's worth

First, consider that, due to Spencer Hawes injuries, the team has alternated between starting rookie LaVoy Allen and 87-year-old Tony Battie at the center slot, and it's still a top defensive team. Despite all the turnover at the center slot, Brand has posted the best on-court defensive efficiency in the NBA among players with 1,000 minutes. According to basketballvalue.com, opposing offenses have mustered just 96.1 points per 100 possessions with Brand on the floor. Underscoring his impact on the squad, the Sixers surrender three points more every 100 possessions when he steps off the floor.

Now, you might be thinking: Isn't Andre Iguodala the reason for Sixers' defensive prowess? No doubt, Iguodala has been masterful as a perimeter defender, and he probably belongs ahead of Brand in the DPOY conversation. But it should be noted that the Sixers' defense falls apart when either of them steps off the floor. When Iguodala doesn't have Brand on his side, the Sixers' defense becomes 4.6 points worse on the defensive end. Without Iguodala on the court, the Brand-led defense becomes 7.5 points less stingy. Iguodala might be Philadelphia's most essential defender, but considering all the stated credentials above, Brand isn't too far behind.

So, let's recap. Team dominance? Check. Blocks and steals? Check. Post-up effectiveness? Check. Plus-minus impact? Check. What's holding Brand back? Minutes and reputation. Because of the condensed season and his age, Brand plays just 29 minutes per game, which puts him in the same boat as Kevin Garnett. But if you're going to include Garnett or Serge Ibaka (27.3 minutes per game) as a candidate, it doesn't make sense to leave out Brand.

As for reputation, few labels are tougher to shed than the "overpaid star" label. His coach Doug Collins recently went on record to state that over his 40-year career in the league, no one has been more professional than Brand. But even lofty praise like that can't remove the stink from his near-$20 million salary. What's more, it doesn't help Brand's case that he plays for a team that hasn't been in the national consciousness since Allen Iverson retired.

No, Brand shouldn't be the favorite for defensive player of the year; he simply hasn't played enough to warrant top consideration. But considering all the evidence suggesting he's one of the league's top defenders, starting for the league's top defense, Brand should at least be in the conversation.

Yes, that Elton Brand.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7782514/nba-elton-brand-defensive-player-year-candidate

yoadknux
07-07-2012, 07:02 AM
If I am a team like the bobcats I would bid 5 or 6 million then flip him at the deadline to a contender.
I don't think amnestied players could get traded

BringJackBack
07-07-2012, 07:33 AM
Elton Brand would be a good player off the bench if we want to build a great one. He would replace Hansbrough's 4.4 ppg, 3.2 rpg on 34% shooting with not only better scoring, defense, and rebounding, but a veteran presence. I would definitely go after him on a one year deal.

Our bench will be very much improved if we replace Hansbrough, Amundson, and Barbosa (About 12 ppg combined and Barbosa/Hansbrough shot 34.5% combined) with Brand, another veteran big man like JO, and OJ Mayo. Our starters very rarely got us into trouble in the Playoffs, it was definitely our bench outside of Collison, of whom was a perfect role player in the Playoffs.

It would be great if we could get a small forward who could really shoot the ball, hence why we may be bringing in Carlos Delfino. Other guys who could be options are Tracy McGrady or Mickael Pietrus.

ballism
07-07-2012, 07:45 AM
I would definitely check Lou Williams or Mayo types first --- younger quality guys --- just because this is probably our last real chance to add a very good player via free agency for the next 4 years or so.

But if they aren't available / too pricy, I wouldn't hesitate and bid high on Brand.

It's just 1 year. Even if we use our full 10 mil, so what? We'd still be under tax, and next year it will be off the books. It doesn't hurt us resigning West, and we'd have Brand's Bird rights so we can re-up him next summer. He would be a major major upgrade this season.

Justin Tyme
07-07-2012, 08:33 AM

If this is a silent auction with secret bidding, other than a team saying they were bidding, how does any team know who is bidding on an amnestied player? Teams would have to feel any and all teams under the cap would be bidding.

To my knowledge, it was never released as to what teams bid nor how much they bid, other than the winner, on Billups.

ballism
07-07-2012, 08:36 AM
If this is a silent auction with secret bidding, other than a team saying they were bidding, how does any team know who is bidding on an amnestied player? Teams would have to feel any and all teams under the cap would be bidding.

To my knowledge, it was never released as to what teams bid nor how much they bid, other than the winner, on Billups.

it's a conference call with all teams interested at the same time, if i remember correctly.

Pacerized
07-07-2012, 08:42 AM
I'd take Brand if the price is 2 mil. but I don't see how he really helps this team. Did anyone see him in the playoffs? He looked terrible. I'd rather spend a little more money on a better big man and forget Mayo. Kaman or Humphries would help this team.

Justin Tyme
07-07-2012, 08:45 AM

You can't trade him, so that won't work.

naptownmenace
07-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Or the Hornets, they have no PF at all.

How about the #1 draft pick, Anthony Davis? He's going to be their starting PF. Still the Hornets would make sense.

Brand would be a good fit here in Indy. My guess is that the Pacers will get out bidded though if they don't offer at least 5 million. BTW, I really like this new amnesty program.

PGisthefuture
07-07-2012, 08:48 AM
I'd take Brand if the price is 2 mil. but I don't see how he really helps this team. Did anyone see him in the playoffs? He looked terrible. I'd rather spend a little more money on a better big man and forget Mayo. Kaman or Humphries would help this team.

I saw nothing but good things from Brand last year, especially for a guy his age. I remember watching a game against the Bulls in the playoffs where he was the only one scoring for the Sixers...

ballism
07-07-2012, 08:49 AM
How about the #1 draft pick, Anthony Davis? He's going to be their starting PF. Still the Hornets would make sense.

Brand would be a good fit here in Indy. My guess is that the Pacers will get out bidded though if they don't offer at least 5 million. BTW, I really like this new amnesty program.

who's going to be their starting center then? I think they'd start Brand/Davis.

PGisthefuture
07-07-2012, 08:51 AM

I don't know if anybody is really gonna offer 5 Mil on an amnestied player. I would consider Brand to be in the same class as Billups as far as age and performance and Billups only got 2 Mil. I think we could get him for like 3-4 Mil.

Justin Tyme
07-07-2012, 08:54 AM
it's a conference call with all teams interested at the same time, if i remember correctly.

I'm not sure that is right unless the conference call is for all bidders to listen to the "bid openings" which sounds more likely. Otherwise, if the bidding process is done by a conference call, teams can just overbid the previous teams bids. That's not a secret bid. It's nothing more than an auction by telephone.

OlBlu
07-07-2012, 08:57 AM
There's such little Pacers talk going on, I figured this was worth its own thread...

Ken Berger (KBergCBS) on Twitter (https://twitter.com/KBergCBS)

I would think Miami would take a look at him for small dollars......:cool:

Justin Tyme
07-07-2012, 08:58 AM
who's going to be their starting center then? I think they'd start Brand/Davis.

Kaman.

He's not ruled out re-signing with them, and they haven't ruled out not re-signing him.

ballism
07-07-2012, 09:01 AM
I'm not sure that is right unless the conference call is for all bidders to listen to the "bid openings" which sounds more likely. Otherwise, if the bidding process is done by a conference call, teams can just overbid the previous teams bids. That's not a secret bid. It's nothing more than an auction by telephone.

I thought I read it in some blog, but I may easily be misremembering here or it was wrong all along.
It would be interesting to see something certain.

Kaman.

He's not ruled out re-signing with them, and they haven't ruled out not re-signing him.
yes, but he's not there yet, and it doesn't make much sense for them to lock him up on a long deal either.

Pacerized
07-07-2012, 09:03 AM
I saw nothing but good things from Brand last year, especially for a guy his age. I remember watching a game against the Bulls in the playoffs where he was the only one scoring for the Sixers...

I only watched a couple of games and that was against the Celtics but Brand averaged 8 ppg along with 5.5 boards in round 1 in 32.5 min. You get way more then that from Hans in the same time and everyone is wanting Hans out of here. Granted their is a lot more issues with Hans but I don't see Brand as a real upgrade on our bench unless he's just an insurance policy. I'd rather spend the money on Kaman or Humphries.

xBulletproof
07-07-2012, 09:22 AM
I would think Miami would take a look at him for small dollars......:cool:

Teams have to be under the cap to bid.

Justin Tyme
07-07-2012, 09:43 AM

Don't teams under the cap get 1st priority, but the other teams can bid. Otherwise, what happens to player X if no team under the cap bids on him? He becomes a FA?

OlBlu
07-07-2012, 09:47 AM

Thank you.....:cool:

ballism
07-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Don't teams under the cap get 1st priority, but the other teams can bid. Otherwise, what happens to player X if no team under the cap bids on him? He becomes a FA?

yes, he's a free agent then, like Arenas.

Steagles
07-07-2012, 09:53 AM

I think thats what happened to Posey.

Justin Tyme
07-07-2012, 09:58 AM
yes, he's a free agent then, like Arenas.

I was thinking the other day about Arenas. I believe he only signed a 1 year contract last year with Memphis which makes him a FA. He was a good teammate in Memphis and didn't stir the chemistry. Does he have any game left in him to be a productive for a team to sign him?

PR07
07-07-2012, 11:05 AM
I don't see a problem with it. Clippers received Billups pretty cheaply last season, if we can put in a fairly cheap bid...maybe we can steal him. Besides, he's an upgrade to any backups we have in the frontcourt currently.

Anthem
07-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Nobody's worried that the front office is angling for a Brand/West frontcourt and letting Hibbert walk?

vnzla81
07-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Nobody's worried that the front office is angling for a Brand/West frontcourt and letting Hibbert walk?

Nice ....... :suicide:

pwee31
07-07-2012, 11:57 AM

No, I think getting Brand for cheap would be helping in keeping Hibbert. IMO the Pacers have wanted to add a scoring guard off the bench, and a scoring big man off the bench, in addition to Hibbert. Getting Brand for cheap, allows the Pacers to still get a guy like Mayo and match Hibbert.

Then you have to figure out what to do with Tyler? You can keep him as Brand insurance, or try to move him for another piece elsewhere

Wage
07-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Does anyone know how the bidding works? Is it one blind bid, or is it more auction style back and forth with highest bid at the end taking it?

*astrisk*
07-07-2012, 12:08 PM
No, I think getting Brand for cheap would be helping in keeping Hibbert. IMO the Pacers have wanted to add a scoring guard off the bench, and a scoring big man off the bench, in addition to Hibbert. Getting Brand for cheap, allows the Pacers to still get a guy like Mayo and match Hibbert.

Then you have to figure out what to do with Tyler? You can keep him as Brand insurance, or try to move him for another piece elsewhere

I believe if we get Brand for less than 6 mil. We HAVE to move Hansbrough... I would move him to a cellar dweller for a Well protected 1st or likely, second round pick. Especially with Pendergraph on the bench.

*astrisk*
07-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Does anyone know how the bidding works? Is it one blind bid, or is it more auction style back and forth with highest bid at the end taking it?

It is blind... yes

rexnom
07-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Our front office are just keeping things so close to the vest that I'm not really "worried" about anything yet. I'm in total "wait until July 11th" mode.

Jrod Jones
07-07-2012, 12:36 PM
I'd offer him 5million for 1 year and not even think twice

cinotimz
07-07-2012, 12:37 PM

no...theyre gonna re-sign hibbert...if anything they might have given some thought to a kaman/brand addition...

Hicks
07-07-2012, 12:40 PM

I wonder if the CBA allows you to trade an amnestied player that you won the bid on?

funnyguy1105
07-07-2012, 12:45 PM
I wonder if the CBA allows you to trade an amnestied player that you won the bid on?

I thought you couldn't trade but it's only 30 days according to this:

http://allsportseverything.com/2011/12/the-nbas-new-amnesty-clause-explained-cause-youve-asked/

Can teams trade players they’ve claimed via amnesty or are they stuck with them?
Yes, teams can trade their newly acquired players but must wait 30-days before doing so.

*astrisk*
07-07-2012, 12:51 PM

Great point Hicks... That would be a great asset to have and possibly move...

Wondering if his value would be the 4 -5 mil or 18... surely its 4-5

ballism
07-07-2012, 12:53 PM
According to Coon's CBA faq, you can't trade such player during the first season.

rexnom
07-07-2012, 01:08 PM
I would bid on him and not think twice. If we don't get him, I would then try to get Kaman.

(Also, of course, I would match Hibbert's offer)

OlBlu
07-07-2012, 01:24 PM

I think that must be true. There is news that Rashard Lewis is headed to Miami.... http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/332091-lewis-leaning-toward-heat :cool:

Pacer Fan
07-07-2012, 01:25 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8135145/philadelphia-76ers-release-elton-brand-via-amnesty-clause-sources

The Philadelphia 76ers will release former All-Star Elton Brand under the league's amnesty clause, according to sources.

The move to release Brand will be necessitated by the expected signing of free-agent guard Nick Young and the planned re-signing of center Spencer Hawes.

Teams that did not use their one-time amnesty clause last season can waive one player via the amnesty provision between July 11-17 and see that player's contract figures vanish from the team's payroll for salary-cap and luxury-tax purposes.

Brand will still collect the full $18 million that the Sixers owe him next season, but he will first be offered to teams under the salary cap through the waiver process, with under-the-cap teams able to lodge bids for him.

Sources tell ESPN.com that the Dallas Mavericks, under the salary cap after being foiled in their pursuit of marquee free agent Deron Williams, have interest in claiming Brand through the waiver process.

In the event that he goes unclaimed on waivers, Brand would then be free to sign as a free agent wherever he chooses.

Young's agent, Mark Bartelstein, told ESPN.com that Young and the Sixers have reached terms on a one-year deal that, once finalized, is expected to fall in the $6 million range.

"He's got more size, gives you a little more versatility, and Nick's a big-time scorer," Bartelstein said. "The more we took a look at the situation, it's a perfect fit for Nick at this stage in his career."

Young can't officially sign the deal until July 11, which is the first day players can finalize new contracts.

Young finished last season with the Los Angeles Clippers after being acquired at the trade deadline in a three-team deal with Denver and Washington that sent JaVale McGee to the Nuggets and landed Nene with the Wizards.

The versatile swingman could take the place of Sixers guard Lou Williams, who opted out of the final year of his contract that was worth $6.4 million.

"Philly, I appreciate you all. Unfortunately I will not be coming back, as an organization they decided to move in a different direction," he posted on Twitter shortly after the Young move became public.

.................................................. .........

If bid for Elton Brand wins, work to be done
By Jeff Caplan | ESPNDallas.com
The Dallas Mavericks have interest in bidding for Philadelphia power forward Elton Brand, whom the 76ers have chosen to amnesty when the NBA resumes business operations Wednesday.

Teams under the salary cap have first crack to bid on amnestied players. If there are no bids, the player becomes a free agent.

If the Mavs plan to acquire Brand through the amnesty waiver bidding process, it will take some work to get under the salary cap.

The Mavs stand at $45 million tied to seven contracts, but that figure is not their actual cap number, as Larry Coon, revered throughout the NBA as the authority on the collective bargaining agreement, explains.

When adding roster charges for unfilled spots and various cap holds for free agents and trade exceptions, plus the mid-level and bi-annual exceptions, Dallas is actually over the cap. To get under the cap and be eligible to bid on Brand, the Mavs, as Coon explains, would have to renounce their trade exceptions, mid-level and bi-annual exceptions, and most of their free agents. Doing so comes at the cost of losing their mid-level exception, trade exceptions, and Bird rights to free agents they might want to keep.

The Mavs could get more cap room by using their amnesty on Brendan Haywood. Such a move would seem risky with only Brandan Wright on the roster capable of playing center, plus second-round draft pick Bernard James.

Now, if the Mavs put in a bid for Brand and don't win it, then all the potential cap maneuvering stated above simply remains as it was.

So, everyone clear on that?

Good.

Eleazar
07-07-2012, 01:52 PM
How long does the bidding process take? And if you bid are you allowed to sign your Bird Rights FA, and go over the cap before the process is over?

ballism
07-07-2012, 02:09 PM
How long does the bidding process take? And if you bid are you allowed to sign your Bird Rights FA, and go over the cap before the process is over?

quick, 1-2 days based on what happened with Billups and Outlaw amnesty.
You have to have the cap space once the process is over, i.e. when the league sees the bids and decides who got him.
So it depends on when Phillie does this. If they amnesty him on July 11th or 12th, maybe 13th, we should be able to bid. If later, probably not.

Doddage
07-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Mayo's first priority before Brand, imo.

Eleazar
07-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Mayo's first priority before Brand, imo.

I do not understand this boards obsession with Mayo?

Doddage
07-07-2012, 03:26 PM
It makes sandwiches tasty.

Hicks
07-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Sometimes when I read the name OJ Mayo, I picture someone stirring together orange juice and mayonnaise in a glass and get kinda queasy.

LoneGranger33
07-07-2012, 03:45 PM

He had a lot of hype coming out of high school and college. Was expected to be a star in the making in Memphis, and I suppose there are those that still believe he'll get there.

Sparhawk
07-07-2012, 03:46 PM
I'd def like to get Brand more than Mayo. Our frontcourt needs serious help, cause Hans can't cut it and are the Pacers really going to depend on Plumlee, a rookie, to be the primary backup C?

Major Cold
07-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Sometimes when I read the name OJ Mayo, I picture someone stirring together orange juice and mayonnaise in a glass and get kinda queasy.
That drink could one day be the best drink. It might make you queasy now, but it could one day make you smile. Could it?

TheDon
07-07-2012, 04:26 PM

that's true but a team like the bobcats isn't smart enough to pull something like that off, that's why they're the bobcats

ballism
07-07-2012, 04:44 PM
that's true but a team like the bobcats isn't smart enough to pull something like that off, that's why they're the bobcats

that's exactly something the Bobcats would do. If it were possible/legal.
That's leveraging cap to get some pick or some other asset. This is what the Bobcats have been doing ever since they hired Rich Cho.
Honestly, Bobcats have been very smart under Rich Cho, but I suppose he won't get that credit until they start winning.

(Now, it's not legal to take Brand and then trade him. So there goes that plan. Although they could pick him up and sign and trade him next summer and get something. Besides, they could really use Brand.)

vnzla81
07-07-2012, 05:17 PM
I rather have Diaw than Brand, Diaw is better defender and a better passer, Brand at this point can't play D.

What option are we going to have if West is getting killed on D? bring Brand in? no thank you.

CJ Jones
07-07-2012, 05:29 PM
I rather have Diaw than Brand, Diaw is better defender and a better passer, Brand at this point can't play D.

What option are we going to have if West is getting killed on D? bring Brand in? no thank you.

Did you miss post 33? Brand's recently been good defensively.

We need someone we can throw the ball to in the post in the second unit. Right now we don't have anyone. Diaw won't help there... he'd be a good choice if we got Kaman though.

I'm hoping Plumlee's can be the guy we throw at people abusing West in the pick and roll.

spazzxb
07-07-2012, 05:40 PM

I actually did that and took a picture once during trade rumors. Don't remember if i posted the pic but it definitely isn't a pretty combination

spazzxb
07-07-2012, 05:42 PM
That drink could one day be the best drink. It might make you queasy now, but it could one day make you smile. Could it?
more likely to make you puke

Pacersalltheway10
07-07-2012, 06:27 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NxZ2x02fGSs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>