PDA

View Full Version : The End of the Lakers?

Hicks
02-12-2004, 11:27 AM
This just might be (God willing) the last year we have to ever put up with the collective BS that is the Los Angeles Lakers of this decade.

Phil Jackson doesn't sound like he's getting a contract extension, Kobe sounds like he's leaving this summer, and if that happens that just leaves at best the other 3, but Shaq will probably have more injuries, Malone will be I believe 42, and Gary ain't enough by himself.

The best case scenario for me is that Phil and Kobe both leave. That will end their reign right there. Here's hoping.

I must say, this league has been much more enjoyable to watch with them out of the way. Not only because they were the clear cut favorites, but because they're ********. Having them out of the way with injuries has been refreshing because for a while the talk wasn't just "Can anyone beat the Lakers? No." It's much more entertaining when it's "Who can win the title? Sacramento, San Antonio, Minnesota, Indiana, Detroit, New Jersey."

Much better if you ask me.

I just hope this is the last year of this Phil Jackson ********. 9 rings and hunting for 10 is far more than enough of his crap.

UCmaroons
02-12-2004, 11:51 AM
While I agree that it had been nice that attention has been diverted from the Lakers, I would not say that we are out of the woods. I think that the Lakers have been doing some amazing things, given the circumstances. Now I hate the Lakers, but they are currently 31-19 and for a while they only had Payton (of the big 4) in their starting lineup. The rest of the time, it was mostly 2 of the HOF'ers. Assuming that Malone comes back sometime, in my mind they are still the clear cut favorites to win it all. I hate to say it, but they are just too darn good.

Also, Jackson not getting an extension is not a done deal. The current extension was only taken off the table. That doesn't mean at all that he won't get his extension. Shaq will come in and say, "If Phil is gone, then I retire", and the problem will be solved. Kobe leaving isn't even close to a sure thing. In other words, don't counts you chickens before they hatch, with regards to both this year and the future.

Hicks
02-12-2004, 11:52 AM
I didn't mean to say they're done NOW. I just meant this could be the last year of it.

UCmaroons
02-12-2004, 12:29 PM
My fault. I guess I inferred something that I shouldn't have. There are still a lot of big questions in the air. Kobe has said virtually nothing of leaving, though the media likes to think that he prefers the Clippers, just as they said he preferred the Knicks a few months back. I could see them dismantling, but jus the same, I could see the team remaining intact. We'll have to wait and see.

indygeezer
02-12-2004, 12:39 PM
I would forfeit a year's worth of hunting (deer, turkey, squirrel,pheasant...everything) to see the Lakers lose a championship series. THe only question would be...which do I prefer their losing in 7 games on a last second tip in or a complete sweep?

Shade
02-12-2004, 12:45 PM
I would forfeit a year's worth of hunting (deer, turkey, squirrel,pheasant...everything) to see the Lakers lose a championship series. THe only question would be...which do I prefer their losing in 7 games on a last second tip in or a complete sweep?

Sweep, without a doubt. No excuse-making then. :devil:

Doug
02-12-2004, 12:59 PM
IF Kobe leaves, I want to see Jackson get his extension.

My feeling is that he sees the writing on the wall for the Lakers and would just as soon retire with his "reputation" intact.

rabid
02-12-2004, 01:04 PM
SWEEP, no doubt.

http://www.pushupstairs.com/images/emoticon/outfitted/broom.gif

;)

efx
02-12-2004, 01:59 PM
I guess I don't see how they're ******** really. I don't like Jackson very much at all but as far the players go, they deserved every ring they got.

rabid
02-12-2004, 02:05 PM
..they deserved every ring they got.

:rolleyes: :unimpressed:

efx
02-12-2004, 02:11 PM
Allright, so let me ask this:
Instead of posting a smilie as a response, why don't some of you tell me exactly how they didn't deserve their rings in 2000,2001 and 2002.
I'm not a Laker fan but I respect skill and teamwork when I see it.

UCmaroons
02-12-2004, 02:51 PM
I hate to ruffle featers, but I have to agree with efx here. They did deserve every title that they got. They were the better team each year, without a doubt. The one thing that may taint Phil's legacy is the Joe Torre syndrome. His teams were always so good that it would be hard not to win a championship with the likes of Kobe, Shaq, MJ, and Pippen. I don't know if I agree with that line of thinking, but there may be some validity to it. Still, it doesn't take anything away from the achievements of the players, whether you like them or not.

Bball
02-12-2004, 03:38 PM
Allright, so let me ask this:
Instead of posting a smilie as a response, why don't some of you tell me exactly how they didn't deserve their rings in 2000,2001 and 2002.
I'm not a Laker fan but I respect skill and teamwork when I see it.

IMHO... the hatred for the Lakers does sometimes cross a line. I'm not a Laker fan either but I don't think anyone handed them anything or that they should be despised in the way I feel some despise them.

Basically, they are the standard that everyone is judged by. As matter of fact they are even the standard that the Lakers are judged by themselves. "If the Lakers can....."

That doesn't mean people have to like them. Obviously, this is a Pacers forum and we certainly don't have to bow to them either. OTOH, I do think we should not belittle them because their jersey says "Lakers".... save that for "The Bulls" ;)

-Bball

sig
02-12-2004, 03:39 PM
It's much more entertaining when it's "Who can win the title? Sacramento, San Antonio, Minnesota, Indiana, Detroit, New Jersey."

As the resident Mavs fan here, none of the Spurs, Wolves or Kings really worry me much in the West even with their 1 to 4 game cushions going into the All-Star break. Not that those teams couldn't beat the Mavs but I think the Mavs chances are just as good as any of those 3 in a 7 game series.

Bball
02-12-2004, 03:43 PM
It's much more entertaining when it's "Who can win the title? Sacramento, San Antonio, Minnesota, Indiana, Detroit, New Jersey."

Much better if you ask me.

That's not right either. It would be much better if it was:
"How can anyone beat the Pacers to win the title?"

-Bball :D

Hicks
02-12-2004, 05:12 PM

As the resident Mavs fan here, none of the Spurs, Wolves or Kings really worry me much in the West even with their 1 to 4 game cushions going into the All-Star break. Not that those teams couldn't beat the Mavs but I think the Mavs chances are just as good as any of those 3 in a 7 game series.

I respectfully disagree. I'll always respect your team's offensive game, but I (until it gets considerably better) do not respect their defense at all, which is why I don't expect them go get any farther than they did last year. Actually, I expect a 2nd round exit. Sorry; I know that sounds harsh but I'm just speaking my mind, not meaning to attack you or anything.

Assuming I haven't scared you off ;) , please post more often, btw. I like to hear "outsiders" thoughts on the Pacers and the NBA and I know a lot of others here do as well. :)

3Ball
02-12-2004, 05:38 PM
Sure the Lakers are good. That's part of why they're so fun to hate. Sure, they are a bunch of egotistical, cursing-on-tv, date-raping, pretty-boy, bandwagon-jumping, jerks -- but man can they play. Sure, it's fun to beat the Timberwolves because they are a fantastic team. And sure it's fun to beat the Knicks because they a pack of jerk-offs. But when you've got all that and a soul patch wrapped into one yellow bunch...

I almost enjoy watching them lose more than i enjoy watching the Pacers win.

Cactus Jax
02-13-2004, 12:23 PM
Here's another article claiming Kobe has plans to already leave the Lakers. :o :devil:

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~28541~1953123,00.html

waxman
02-13-2004, 02:26 PM
Fock PHil Jackson... he won't be back with LA unless the team comes back intact... he doesn't want anymore tarnish on his record, then what is there from Jordans first "retirement"... I'm sure the only reason he stayed with the Bulls then was because he knew Jordan was coming back...after his two year gambling suspension... :P tee hee.