PDA

View Full Version : There's a free agent nobody talks about but we might love him here (again..)

yoadknux
07-06-2012, 09:18 AM
http://blogs.sohh.com/sports/joneal.jpg

Would you guys like to see him retire as a Pacer? Do you think there's a chance we bring him back? Any chance he wants us back?
He said he may retire though - We'll have to see whether he returns for another season or not

Ownagedood
07-06-2012, 09:21 AM
JO will always be welcome back to retire here

Kstat
07-06-2012, 09:24 AM
He isn't retired already? The Boston Celtics thought he was too broken down to wear their uniform anymore.

Unclebuck
07-06-2012, 09:25 AM
He is physically incapable of playing NBA basketball for more than a few games or so.

so why would we want him

jeffg-body
07-06-2012, 09:26 AM
If we could get JO back and let him retire a Pacer then yes, I would be interested if it were on the cheap like the vet minimum. He will always be one of my favorite players. If he would be able to stay healthy for the season as a back-up I think the fans would welcome him back.

Speed
07-06-2012, 09:26 AM
I never get this, I don't think people have seen him play the last 2-3 years, he labors getting up and down the floor, his knees betrayed him long ago. Younger athletic guys give him fits now. Its just not something that makes sense, imo.

vnzla81
07-06-2012, 09:32 AM
He is physically incapable of playing NBA basketball for more than a few games or so.

so why would we want him

I guess some people want him to play the Jeff Foster role........... The role of "been physically incapable of playing basketball for more than a few games or so"..

wintermute
07-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Only for the sentimental, "retire as a Pacer" aspect. Say what you will, but he's been one of the best Pacer players ever in the NBA era. I think Walsh at least would be down with the idea.

I wouldn't count on him for on-court production though, even as a deep reserve.

Ace E.Anderson
07-06-2012, 09:35 AM
I guess some people want him to play the Jeff Foster role........... The role of "been physically incapable of playing basketball for more than a few games or so"..

Hell he played that role during his last tenure here :laugh:

Sparhawk
07-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Do it Larry!

Speed
07-06-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm way more wistful for a Dale Davis if you want a ceremonial type signing. Sign Dale and retire his number, would make more sense to me than JO. I don't dislike JO, but when I think of him, I don't think of the good ole days, at all.

Brad8888
07-06-2012, 09:56 AM
:bttf:

The problem is that this Delorean has no suspension and simply will only do about 50 mph instead of the required 88 mph. So, unlike JO, I'll pass.

Reginald
07-06-2012, 10:08 AM
I'm way more wistful for a Dale Davis if you want a ceremonial type signing. Sign Dale and retire his number, would make more sense to me than JO. I don't dislike JO, but when I think of him, I don't think of the good ole days, at all.

I'm with you. When it comes to JO, there definitely seems to be an age divide. I'm 41 and can actually remember attending a Pacers' ABA game. If you asked me to pick an all-time 10-man Pacers rotation, JO doesn't make the cut. For better or worse, I identity him with The Brawl Era Pacers.

Thanks for the Double-D reference. I once had the treat of sitting with Dale at the BW-3s bar in Broad Ripple for one of the games in the Rockets-Knicks finals. It killed him to watch; he felt the Pacers should've been there.

xtacy
07-06-2012, 10:20 AM
if jo comes back and plays for this team even just to retire here, it officially means we hit rock bottom.

tora tora
07-06-2012, 10:23 AM
One of the best shot blockers in the league I'd love to have him back, didn't he say he was done playing though?

Justin Tyme
07-06-2012, 10:24 AM

While being overpaid!

Larry Staverman
07-06-2012, 10:39 AM
JO will always be welcome back to retire here

Maybe they could hang a banner in the rest room for him!

BornReady#6
07-06-2012, 10:42 AM
I never cared for JO, leader of the thugs, and abandoned ship when he realized he didn't have what it took to lead the team after Reggie left. Didn't want him here then, don't want him here now.

duke dynamite
07-06-2012, 10:44 AM
I'll sign him to a one-day contract, give him a jersey and let him retire. Nothing wrong at all with that.

Tom White
07-06-2012, 10:56 AM
http://blogs.sohh.com/sports/joneal.jpg

Would you guys like to see him retire as a Pacer? Do you think there's a chance we bring him back? Any chance he wants us back?
He said he may retire though - We'll have to see whether he returns for another season or not

"Any chance He wants US back?" Haven't you got that reversed? This has been discussed many times before. I think the majority (Including myself.) of posters don't want to go there again. He had talent, for awhile, but was also a prima donna. No Thanks!

Major Cold
07-06-2012, 10:56 AM
10 day contract to retire.

Major Cold
07-06-2012, 10:58 AM

If Asik is getting his contract of 8 million, then why isn't Foster worth 5-7 million?

Pacer Fan
07-06-2012, 10:59 AM
I'll sign him to a one-day contract, give him a jersey and let him retire. Nothing wrong at all with that.

Can't do that with JO.
He'd want MLE money. :)

Ownagedood
07-06-2012, 11:05 AM
A lot of you have misconceptions about JO and the situation..

First, just because he was on the team of punks we had doesn't mean he was a part of that negativity and making it worse. I remember reading some things about that team and how a few of the guys would go out and party after the games, but JO would just go home to his family.

Also think about the situation of signing him. Overpaid? Really? You can sign him to a one day contract to retire, or sign him to a min contract, it's not like the guy is going to be making millions, at this point in his career, with the guys we already have hes really not even going to be getting off the bench.. You sign him either to retire or to bring vet experience and then retire a Pacer after.

Obviously not everyone is going to want him back, he was on the team on the worst day of our Pacer franchise history, but don't blame him, it wasn't his fault at all.. He also didn't leave us, he was constantly battling injuries and we couldn't heavily rely on him anymore. We traded him, he didn't walk out on us.

Hicks
07-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Jeff made 3m last year.

Mac_Daddy
07-06-2012, 01:32 PM
I never cared for JO, leader of the thugs, and abandoned ship when he realized he didn't have what it took to lead the team after Reggie left. Didn't want him here then, don't want him here now.

Funny... the way I remember it, he was heartbroken when he found out that he was traded. I'm cool with a 10-day so he can retire with us.

ChicagoJ
07-06-2012, 05:05 PM

Perfect.

WhoLovesYaBaby?
07-06-2012, 05:09 PM
If he's healthy enough to play, take him for a minimal salary.

If not, move on.

QuickRelease
07-06-2012, 06:00 PM
JO, leader of the thugs:nunchuck:

Heisenberg
07-06-2012, 06:05 PM
:nunchuck:
Pretty funny coming from a Lance fan eh?

Buddhaboy
07-06-2012, 06:47 PM
I would much rather have another Pacer who wanted to retire with us - Brad Miller.

Sandman21
07-06-2012, 07:10 PM
A lot of you have misconceptions about JO and the situation..

First, just because he was on the team of punks we had doesn't mean he was a part of that negativity and making it worse. I remember reading some things about that team and how a few of the guys would go out and party after the games, but JO would just go home to his family.

Also think about the situation of signing him. Overpaid? Really? You can sign him to a one day contract to retire, or sign him to a min contract, it's not like the guy is going to be making millions, at this point in his career, with the guys we already have hes really not even going to be getting off the bench.. You sign him either to retire or to bring vet experience and then retire a Pacer after.

Obviously not everyone is going to want him back, he was on the team on the worst day of our Pacer franchise history, but don't blame him, it wasn't his fault at all.. He also didn't leave us, he was constantly battling injuries and we couldn't heavily rely on him anymore. We traded him, he didn't walk out on us.
Plus he talked us up for David West.

07-06-2012, 10:19 PM
I wish Jermaine had a better ending in Indiana. However, Jermaine's time has ended. He may have had the best season of any Pacer of any time. However, his career falls short of the all time greats. I often wonder if Brad Miller had been retained, if Jermaine would have been more healthy and successful. It seems his career took a turn for the worst when he was required to play in the post without an offensive threat.

_The_Future_
07-07-2012, 12:04 AM
Maybe a 10-day contract then retire. But for an entire season? No.

Peck
07-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Funny... the way I remember it, he was heartbroken when he found out that he was traded. I'm cool with a 10-day so he can retire with us.

He was heartbroken on where he was traded, not that he was traded. He is the one who requested the trade.

Prior to a couple of weeks ago I would have told you this had about as much a chance of happening as I have of signing a 10 day contract to play. But that was with Bird at the helm, he had no love for O'Neal.

But now that Donnie is back? I have no idea. I know that he was not very happy with Jermaine for his blow up in the office when they told him about Isiah being fired but long term I'm not sure. For all of his faults & believe me I could list many, Walsh is a pretty loyal guy so I'm not saying this is out of the relm of possible things happening.

Personally I think it would suck but I'm a long time Jermaine O'Neal "hater" so to speak.

ilive4sports
07-07-2012, 12:12 AM
FYI: Jermaine was just over in Germany getting that treatment that Kobe got a little while back. That procedure has done wonders for a fair share amount of athletes. I'd be open to bringing him back after a thorough work out

cinotimz
07-07-2012, 12:27 AM
let him retire as a raptor....or the heat...or a celtic...or a blazer...i have zero desire to ever see him in a pacers uniform again...even to retire...

Romsey31
07-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Wow you guys are an ungrateful bunch.. the more I read these post, the more I think Lebron was right for leaving Cleveland the way he did

imawhat
07-07-2012, 12:54 AM
I'm ready for him to dominate retirement.

PGisthefuture
07-07-2012, 01:14 AM
I know there are certain people who want no part of Jermaine on here, but I would love to see him retire as a Pacer. He was and is one of my favorite Pacers of all time. If we sign him to a really cheap deal and he has sort of the role Jeff Foster had the past few years with similar production I'm all for it. Whether some of you like it or not, Jermaine was one of the best players to put on a Pacers jersey.

cdash
07-07-2012, 02:08 AM

so why would we want him

Nostalgia!

Sadly, I am not kidding. That is the only reason I can think of to bring him back. He's done.

aero
07-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Id say sign him to a one day contract and let him retire as a Pacer.

BlueNGold
07-07-2012, 06:44 PM
One of the best shot blockers in the league I'd love to have him back, didn't he say he was done playing though?

That's the problem. He was done a long time ago and never would have said that. I like the idea of Dale Davis coming back and I'm pretty sure he would be more effective.

idioteque
07-07-2012, 07:12 PM
JO was the most talented Pacer in the NBA era by far, I'll give him that.

idioteque
07-07-2012, 07:15 PM
And for people thinking that Dale Davis could still contribute a little bit as a deep-bench player, he's 10 years older than JO and hasn't been on an NBA court in over five years. Stop deluding yourselves. Dale Davis had lost a few steps when he came back to the Pacers in 2004, almost a decade ago (although he at times he was really effective). JO, on the other hand, played last year and there is at least a reasonable argument that he could be on an NBA roster right now. For the record, I don't want JO unless its a 10 day contract.

Pacers24Colts12
07-07-2012, 07:22 PM
It makes perfect sense. If anyone is to do it it would be Donnie Walsh.

Honestly, if we were to lose Hibbert, I wouldn't be against it. Have a 1 year stop gap at center.

Hicks
07-07-2012, 08:50 PM
I 'fell out of love' with JO over his later years here, but some of you guys are ridiculous. I'd welcome him back now. It's not like he'd be some vital cog, so I don't worry about his health like I did back then, and prima donna or not, he's not our leader, not the face of the franchise anymore, so it doesn't make much of a difference anymore.

clownskull
07-07-2012, 09:51 PM
as others have said- 10 day contract and let him retire here... if he wishes. anyone hoping he cold even play more than a half dozen games with modest production though i believe are being very optimistic. he simply can't produce useful results anymore and hasn't for a while.

Kemo
07-07-2012, 10:22 PM
one day contract, and retire a Pacer ... YES, by all means...
But if anyone is expecting anything more than that from JO, you'll be sadly disappointed...
PLUS, could you imagine the backlash if by some chance, we don't match Roy, then next thing you hear JO is signed?

Anyways, as I said, 1 day contract to retire, hell ya I'm all for it ...

Doddage
07-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Getting JO back would firmly put Bball back in the conversation for Darksider of the Year.

Nuntius
07-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Only for the sentimental, "retire as a Pacer" aspect.

This. If we don't fill all of our roster spots then have him retire there (without paying him anything significant, of course).

What's there to lose? It seems fitting that he should retire there.

wtelfair
07-08-2012, 12:27 AM
If we could get JO back and let him retire a Pacer then yes, I would be interested if it were on the cheap like the vet minimum. He will always be one of my favorite players. If he would be able to stay healthy for the season as a back-up I think the fans would welcome him back.

People we don't have unlimited roster spots. Be realistic about this.

Heisenberg
07-08-2012, 12:30 AM
Does the NBA even have those NFL style ceremonial 1 day contracts? I'd be fine with a 10 day so he could officially retire a Pacer, but I have no interest in him actually playing.

But what's the going rate for a 10 day for a guy with JO's experience? I'm being serious. 10 days effect the cap.

Bball
07-08-2012, 12:50 AM
Getting JO back would firmly put Bball back in the conversation for Darksider of the Year.

I'd be fine with giving him a 10 day contract so he could retire on day 10 and then cutting him halfway thru instead just to make a point! ;)

cinotimz
07-08-2012, 12:57 AM
I'd be fine with giving him a 10 day contract so he could retire on day 10 and then cutting him halfway thru instead just to make a point! ;)

I LOVE this idea...though im not sure i could make it to halfway thru...maybe day 3....then come out with some sort of statement saying that the team realized without the jerseys of Ron Artest and Brad Miller to carry most of the weight, JOs jersey wouldnt be able to hang very long on its own...