PDA

View Full Version : Nash to be S&T'd to Lakers (multiple Twitter sources)

imbtyler
07-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Well, if this isn't the biggest ****ing disappointment this month, I don't know what is. Son of a *****.

I can't get any tweets copy/pasted, so if someone could, that'd be great.

http://nbaoffseason.com/post/26525578297/marc-stein-is-reporting-the-lakers-have-acquired

Marc Stein is reporting that the Lakers will acquire Steve Nash from the Suns in a sign & trade for future draft picks.The Lakers have an $8.9 million trade exception that makes this deal possible.

ECKrueger
07-04-2012, 08:35 PM
**** the lakers, and damn you Nash you went and did about the only thing possible to make me not like you!

OlBlu
07-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Well, if this isn't the biggest ****ing disappointment this month, I don't know what is. Son of a *****.

I can't get any tweets copy/pasted, so if someone could, that'd be great.

http://nbaoffseason.com/post/26525578297/marc-stein-is-reporting-the-lakers-have-acquired

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Good for the Lakers.....:cool:

Stuckey7370
07-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Only 2 late 1sts?

Paul Coro ‏@paulcoro

In the Nash sign-and-trade, the #Suns will get 2013 & 2015 first-round picks and 2013 & 2014 second-round picks.

https://twitter.com/#!/paulcoro

Hypnotiq
07-04-2012, 08:37 PM
The rich get richer and the league as a whole becomes more of a joke as time passes

3rdStrike
07-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Makes sense for Nash in that he and Kobe essentially have the same window (3 yrs).

Pacerized
07-04-2012, 08:38 PM
That's a loss, I really hope the F.O. was as agressive as they could be in chasing him.

hoosierguy
07-04-2012, 08:39 PM
This doesn't make the Lakers a title contender.

What did you expect? LA or Indy? Kobe and Bynum or Granger and Hibbert?

OlBlu
07-04-2012, 08:40 PM
This doesn't make the Lakers a title contender.

What did you expect? LA or Indy? Kobe and Bynum or Granger and Hibbert?

Much as I hate to agree with you about anything.......:cool:

hoosierguy
07-04-2012, 08:42 PM
I take it back. Nash you POS! You should have gone to Indy!!

Sookie
07-04-2012, 08:43 PM
I'd much rather have Nash there than as a Knick. Him and Kobe can make a run at a title instead of poor Nash having to deal with Carmelo Amare and their crap. (although, quite frankly, they'll need some help on the Wing..and possibly the post depending on how that works out for them. )

I would have loved to have Steve Nash in Indy though. I actually do think he makes us a contender for a few years. (Especially if we had managed to keep Roy and PG developed more over the summer. )

Granville
07-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Meh. It was pretty obvious he wasn't giving the Pacers much consideration, if any, so it's not like I feel this big sense of disappointment. Plus, I'd rather he go to the Lakers than the Knicks, as at least this way he's not in the Eastern Conference.

Lance George
07-04-2012, 08:48 PM
I was never that interested in the horse-faced old man to begin with. Good riddance.

OlBlu
07-04-2012, 08:50 PM
I take it back. Nash you POS! You should have gone to Indy!!

Ha, ha, I was sure you would re-evaluate your position and I don't blame you......:cool:

Blackhawk4
07-04-2012, 08:51 PM
I love the Lakers and the Pacers, but this isn't that great of a move for the Lakers. Bynum and Pau running the floor more cause Nash is there? Yea right haha that'll be the day. Only way this could be really effective is if they trade Bynum for Dwight, but until then the Lakers have not improved enough. Nash is still a liability on defense and he is 38 years old. He won't be lighting it up like it's 05-06.

imbtyler
07-04-2012, 08:53 PM
I'm not disappointed that Nash didn't sign with the Pacers. I'm disappointed that, of all the teams to go to, he went to the LAKERS. Better than Miami? Yes. Better than NYK? Sure. Still absolutely disappointing, and Nash will go another three years without a ring, and retire a sad, old, Canadian man. The Lakers are not title contenders with this team. There's no assurance that Kobe will come back the same old Kobe, or that Bynum will be himself either. But whatever, it was Nash's poor decision. Let's see how far it gets him.

ECKrueger
07-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Exactly.

Pacersalltheway10
07-04-2012, 08:57 PM
The truth is I am bit old school,” Nash said during an interview with 98.7 ESPN in New York. “I think for me it would be hard to put on a Lakers jersey. That’s just what it is.
http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/steve_nash_admits_it_would_be_hard_to_put_on_a_lak ers_jersey/11104838

That son of a *****.... wasn't that hard of a decision

Smits Happens
07-04-2012, 09:01 PM
If you think Pacers fans are disappointed, try being a Raptors fan. At least we aren't stuck overpaying Landry Fields.

Pacersalltheway10
07-04-2012, 09:01 PM
He's not old school at all but good for him that he could win a championship, I guess

ballism
07-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Only 2 late 1sts?

https://twitter.com/#!/paulcoro

i wonder how high the 2015 pick will be.

Deadshot
07-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Multiple reports on Twitter seem to indicate that being close to his kids was important to him as well. LA is only an hour flight away from them. Looks like that Odom deal was finally good for something (trade exception).

And I don't really understand why people are so mad about this.

ilive4sports
07-04-2012, 09:07 PM
boy the homerism sure is strong in here. I would have loved it if Nash came to Indy, he's a helluva PG. And he is gonna be great in LA. Their entire offense will change from this move. And that was their biggest problem last year. Their **** offense. Now they bring in the best distributor in the game. Nash still has the ability to score when needed. To say they aren't contenders with Nash, i'm sorry, but thats just wrong. Yeah they lost 4-1 to the Thunder, but 2 of those losses were by a combined 5 points. Nash, Kobe, Artest, Gasol and Bynum is a damn good starting 5. If you don't think that is a contending line up, I don't know what to tell you.

And sure Nash isn't a good defender. But neither was anyone else the Lakers had playing at PG last year, yet they still had one of the best defenses in the NBA. They will get by just fine.

Hypnotiq
07-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Multiple reports on Twitter seem to indicate that being close to his kids was important to him as well. LA is only an hour flight away from them. Looks like that Odom deal was finally good for something (trade exception).

Lakers get gifted everything by everyone thats why im mad

BrownBearCoffee
07-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Well that is a bit unexpected. Everyone ready for Dwight to get traded to L.A. tonight or tomorrow?

ilive4sports
07-04-2012, 09:08 PM

I do, its the rich get richer, the Lakers get another great player, seeing them get someone that would have been great here hurts.

BornReady
07-04-2012, 09:09 PM
well...its time to build for the future! No way Indy has a chance of winning with these big name teams getting stacked the way they are~

IrishPacer
07-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Imagine if the Lakers trade Bynum for D12. Kobe, Nash and Howard. Wow.

Heisenberg
07-04-2012, 09:10 PM
I've said it before but I'll say it again.

I'd cry like a baby if the Pacers moved. But I wouldn't be upset about not having to care about the NBA anymore.

Sandman21
07-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Lakers get gifted everything by everyone thats why im mad
Except for CP3.

Hicks
07-04-2012, 09:14 PM

Now, which is it? A terrible signing for the Pacers had it been us, or a good deal for the Lakers since it's the Lakers? You can't have it both ways.

BrownBearCoffee
07-04-2012, 09:17 PM
I hate the Lakers, too, but if I'm the rebuilding Suns I sure am happy about getting those 4 draft picks. If he had gone to Toronto, they would have gotten nothing.

And...

I hope Howard does go there. That sends them both West and leaves the Knicks in the same boat as before.

OlBlu
07-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Now, which is it? A terrible signing for the Pacers had it been us, or a good deal for the Lakers since it's the Lakers? You can't have it both ways.

Sure I can. It would have been terrible for the Pacers because Nash was not the last piece needed to compete for a title here. However, with the Lakers, he may very well be the last piece they need to win a title in the next two or three years.........:cool:

Day-V
07-04-2012, 09:18 PM
I hate the Lakers, too, but if I'm the rebuilding Suns I sure am happy about getting those 4 draft picks. If he had gone to Toronto, they would have gotten nothing.

They would've gotten Lottery Picks, as opposed to late 1st rounders....

Hicks
07-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Sure I can. It would have been terrible for the Pacers because Nash was not the last piece needed to compete for a title here. However, with the Lakers, he may very well be the last piece they need to win a title in the next two or three years.........:cool:

BS. You were telling us all why Nash was over the hill and done, going on about his non-existent D (can't defend a post), etc. You're being two-faced, and yet again I see a troll. Between this and the Jmac/Plumlee double-speak.

BrownBearCoffee
07-04-2012, 09:21 PM
They would've gotten Lottery Picks, as opposed to late 1st rounders....

Toronto had the cap space to sign him outright. Am I wrong about that?

Day-V
07-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Toronto had the cap space to sign him outright. Am I wrong about that?

My bad, I was stuck strictly in "Draft Pic Position" Mode.

BrownBearCoffee
07-04-2012, 09:25 PM
My bad, I was stuck strictly in "Draft Pic Position" Mode.

No worries. My brain is a little fried from trying to figure out all these numbers, as well.

imbtyler
07-04-2012, 09:26 PM
well...its time to build for the future! No way Indy has a chance of winning with these big name teams getting stacked the way they are~

Yeh, that's the other thing that annoys me. Once again, another big-name free agent goes to a "big market", instead of taking into consideration the teams that are in smaller markets. I understand that it looks like the best place for him, especially being only an hour-long flight away from his family. But if there's one thing white people love, it's Indiana. He could have moved the whole crew out here, and loved it! Indianapolis is like a slightly dirtier Toronto.

Blackhawk4
07-04-2012, 09:28 PM
http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/steve_nash_admits_it_would_be_hard_to_put_on_a_lak ers_jersey/11104838

That son of a *****.... wasn't that hard of a decision

It's 27 million guaranteed....No dip it wasn't that hard of a decision.

Steagles
07-04-2012, 09:28 PM
I'm glad hes not with New York. Get on the Pacers or stay out of my conference. They won't win anyway, they have to get through the Thunder. I wonder what number he'll wear, the 13 is Wilt's, hence retired.

PacerPenguins
07-04-2012, 09:29 PM
can we bring back the 90's NBA, liked that a lot better

cdash
07-04-2012, 09:31 PM
I THOUGHT WE HAD HIM

Pacersalltheway10
07-04-2012, 09:33 PM
To Steve Nash-

But didn't have to lie and say... You were an old school player
Now you're just a point guard that I used to know....

Blackhawk4
07-04-2012, 09:33 PM
can we bring back the 90's NBA, liked that a lot better
Where players like Shaq, Barkley, Drexler etc signed/got traded to another team for a better chance at a title? So much different from today.

OlBlu
07-04-2012, 09:35 PM
BS. You were telling us all why Nash was over the hill and done, going on about his non-existent D (can't defend a post), etc. You're being two-faced, and yet again I see a troll. Between this and the Jmac/Plumlee double-speak.

Yes, Nash is over the hill and he can't defend. I didn't want to see him on the Pacers because they couldn't cover these things up. I am not being two faced. I saw him as being great for Toronto because he was a Canadian. I thought he would be great for the Knicks although they wouldn't have any defense. Now, put him with Kobe, Bynum, Pau and company and magic may happen. They can pick up for him defensively and he can penetrate and create shots for those three everywhere. I think it will work even better if they get Howard because he can get up and down the floor faster than Bynum and Pau. What is trollish about all of that? He has two years and he may win a title on their very good team. He would not have won a title playing for the Pacers even though that was never an option for him. He is giving up money to play with that group. I explained that I dislike McRoberts right back to his youth when he sulked over not being Mr. Basketball and refused to play on the Indiana all star team and had his mother talk to the media for him. Do I have to like every player? I like the entire Pacer crew and you rarely hear me say anything about individual players although I have mentioned that Granger should probably be traded while he has some value......... What about all of that says I am a troll.... I'm delighted the Pacers did not get Nash or Gordon and I am happy for the teams that have signed them.....:cool:

BrownBearCoffee
To Steve Nash-

But didn't have to lie and say... You were an old school player
Now you're just a point guard that I used to know....

Barring them getting Howard (which I expect they will), good luck to him running Mike Brown's system and hitting Drew Bynum for open corner 3's.

Steagles
I THOUGHT WE HAD HIM

Fixed.

ilive4sports
07-04-2012, 09:36 PM
But wait, you said:

Enough already, we don't need a stumbling old man who is nearing 40....... :cool:

and

You keep forgetting that there are two ends to the court. Nash can't even find the defensive end........ He is done, cooked and we don't need him..... Pass.......:cool:

why would any team need a near 40 year old "done, cooked" player? How could he be good for any team?

Pace Maker
07-04-2012, 09:37 PM
The Raptors are stuck with Fields on his 20 Million offer now lmao

OlBlu
07-04-2012, 09:38 PM
But wait, you said:

and

why would any team need a near 40 year old "done, cooked" player? How could he be good for any team?

When they already have two super stars and another star. The Pacers didn't have that and should not have even pursued him. Note that it wasn't money, he took less to play on the Lakers......:cool:

ballism
07-04-2012, 09:38 PM
The Raptors are stuck with Fields on his 20 Million offer now lmao

a reverse Boozer? "it was only a handshake agreement"

PR07
07-04-2012, 09:41 PM
At least for the Lakers, they only got slower and less athletic. Nash will help them, but their big issues they had just got worse. Plus, can two ball dominant guards in Nash and Bryant co-exist?

Hicks
07-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Yes, Nash is over the hill and he can't defend. I didn't want to see him on the Pacers because they couldn't cover these things up. I am not being two faced. I saw him as being great for Toronto because he was a Canadian. I thought he would be great for the Knicks although they wouldn't have any defense. Now, put him with Kobe, Bynum, Pau and company and magic may happen. They can pick up for him defensively and he can penetrate and create shots for those three everywhere. I think it will work even better if they get Howard because he can get up and down the floor faster than Bynum and Pau. What is trollish about all of that? He has two years and he may win a title on their very good team. He would not have won a title playing for the Pacers even though that was never an option for him. He is giving up money to play with that group. I explained that I dislike McRoberts right back to his youth when he sulked over not being Mr. Basketball and refused to play on the Indiana all star team and had his mother talk to the media for him. Do I have to like every player? I like the entire Pacer crew and you rarely hear me say anything about individual players although I have mentioned that Granger should probably be traded while he has some value......... What about all of that says I am a troll.... I'm delighted the Pacers did not get Nash or Gordon and I am happy for the teams that have signed them.....:cool:

So how is this over the hill half-dead old fart going to get up and down the floor quickly and penetrate and create shots? Which is it? Can he still do what has always made him great, or is he an old fart who doesn't measure up anymore? You've said both.

ilive4sports
When they already have two super stars and another star. The Pacers didn't have that and should not have even pursued him. Note that it wasn't money, he took less to play on the Lakers......:cool:
you calling nash a "stumbling old man" and saying he is "done, cooked" as a player has NOTHING to do with the Pacers, but rather what you supposedly think of him as a player. He wouldn't be good in Indiana or LAL for those reasons. Your trolling, like usual.

Blackhawk4
At least for the Lakers, they only got slower and less athletic. Nash will help them, but their big issues they had just got worse. Plus, can two ball dominant guards in Nash and Bryant co-exist?

Exactly. Only way I can even think of this working is if they somehow get Dwight Howard because of his ability to run the floor. Pau can run the floor at times, but it won't be enough to get the most out of Nash. Paul will probably benefit in pick and rolls, but that's about it.

Hicks
07-04-2012, 09:44 PM

You completely dodged his point. You can't go on and on about how he's done and worthless and 'no help' to one team yet say he can do this, that, and the other for another team. Nonsense.

PR07
07-04-2012, 09:45 PM
So how is this over the hill half-dead old fart going to get up and down the floor quickly and penetrate and create shots? Which is it? Can he still do what has always made him great, or is he an old fart who doesn't measure up anymore? You've said both.

you calling nash a "stumbling old man" and saying he is "done, cooked" as a player has NOTHING to do with the Pacers, but rather what you supposedly think of him as a player. He wouldn't be good in Indiana or LAL for those reasons. Your trolling, like usual.

Can we stop quoting this guy?

OlBlu
07-04-2012, 09:46 PM
You completely dodged his point. You can't go on and on about how he's done and worthless and 'no help' to one team yet say he can do this, that, and the other for another team. Nonsense.

I thought I explained it well. I can't help it if you do not agree. My logic in the matter is sound......:cool:

15th parallel
07-04-2012, 09:47 PM
This sucks. I never thought he'd end up there.

Anyway, I would say he's not a good fit with Kobe, unless Kobe plays differently (read: ballhogging). Kobe never played with a good playmaking PG before as far as I can remember. In Phil's time his triangle offense never needed a pure PG anyway.

But it will be beneficial for Bynum and Gasol as they'll get lots of easy baskets with him.

Blackhawk4
07-04-2012, 09:48 PM

He's got that poker and troll face going at the same time. I don't think you're going to get anywhere with him.

3rdStrike
07-04-2012, 09:48 PM

Nash isn't slow and Kobe is already late in the transition cycle from ballhog to primary ballhandler to playing off the ball when a better distributor is on the court. He knows what he has to do to stay productive in the league, and he badly wants to equal Jordan in terms of championship rings.

Hicks
07-04-2012, 09:50 PM
I thought I explained it well. I can't help it if you do not agree. My logic in the matter is sound......:cool:

You're seriously not going to address that you made many criticisms of Nash that have NOTHING to do with who his teammates are, then turn around and say he still does X, Y, Z and that it was actually all relative and based on the exact opposite? Really.

OlBlu
07-04-2012, 09:52 PM

I said that because he is both. He is not the player he was and he can't carry a team like he used to do. However, put him on a team with superstars like LA and he can do some good there. Not what he would have done five or six years ago. I don't think he would have been a good fit for Miami because he would have gotten in James and Wade's way in the middle. I think he would have been good for NY but it would have been a team with no defense at all.

The Pacers need a whole lot more than an aging Nash. They need to resign Hibbert and they need to keep shoring up the supporting cast. I never thought for a minute that Gordon or Nash would consider coming to Indy. Nash wanted to play with a contender where he could really help. He did that. Gordon wanted a big paycheck, he got that. Everyone is happy.....:cool:

Blackhawk4
07-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Nash isn't slow and Kobe is already late in the transition cycle from ballhog to primary ballhandler to playing off the ball when a better distributor is on the court. He knows what he has to do to stay productive in the league, and he badly wants to equal Jordan in terms of championship rings.

And you typed this with a straight face? Westbrook right now is laughing so hard them glasses w/o lenses fell off. Westbrook on offense vs Nash's Defense. I'm just going to let that settle for a bit.

PR07
07-04-2012, 09:54 PM

He's a slow footed defender, likely even worse than Fisher was defensively for the Lakers (and that's saying something). I'll believe the second part when I see it.

OlBlu
07-04-2012, 09:55 PM
You're seriously not going to address that you made many criticisms of Nash that have NOTHING to do with who his teammates are, then turn around and say he still does X, Y, Z and that it was actually all relative and based on the exact opposite? Really.

I stand behind what I said about Nash. He has managed to get to the one team where he might actually be the missing piece. He wasn't the missing piece in NY or for the Pacers. They got him for almost nothing and for small dollars.... We would have to have given him a max contract and even then he might not have been interested. What is so hard to understand about all of that? You think the Pacers should have given him a max contract? Great. I don't agree with you.....:cool:

OlBlu
07-04-2012, 09:56 PM
He's a slow footed defender, likely even worse than Fisher was defensively for the Lakers (and that's saying something). I'll believe the second part when I see it.

I agree with you about all of that......:cool:

Hicks
07-04-2012, 09:56 PM
I said that because he is both. He is not the player he was and he can't carry a team like he used to do. However, put him on a team with superstars like LA and he can do some good there. Not what he would have done five or six years ago.

You said he was a 'done, cooked' 'old man'. That's far more damning criticism than merely suggesting he's lost a step or 'can't carry a team like he used to do.' The former is describing a rusted out husk of a car on four cinder blocks, the later is a used car with some extra mileage on it.

OlBlu
07-04-2012, 09:57 PM
You said he was a 'done, cooked' 'old man'. That's far more damning criticism than merely suggesting he's lost a step or 'can't carry a team like he used to do.' The former is describing a rusted out husk of a car on four cinder blocks, the later is a used car with some extra mileage on it.

Have you ever heard of overstating something to make a point? :cool:

Blackhawk4
07-04-2012, 09:58 PM
I stand behind what I said about Nash. He has managed to get to the one team where he might actually be the missing piece. He wasn't the missing piece in NY or for the Pacers. They got him for almost nothing and for small dollars.... We would have to have given him a max contract and even then he might not have been interested. What is so hard to understand about all of that? You think the Pacers should have given him a max contract? Great. I don't agree with you.....:cool:

Now you're just being silly. Cause 3 year 27 million guaranteed is almost nothing when you're paying a 38 year old PG in the twilight part of his career. Pacers would not have had to give him max contract...Not enough crack in the world to make a GM in the NBA give Nash a max contract at this point in his career. What's so hard to realize what you just said is laughable and ludicrous. Saying stuff like that makes for a good laugh.

Heisenberg
07-04-2012, 10:00 PM
This thing will be interesting to watch. We all know Mike Brown's no offensive guru, they didn't really have a consistent offense last year, lot of mix and match stuff. Now they've gotta rebuild the whole thing again.

OlBlu
07-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Now you're just being silly. Cause 3 year 27 million guaranteed is almost nothing when you're paying a 38 year old PG in the twilight part of his career. Pacers would not have had to give him max contract...Not enough crack in the world to make a GM in the NBA give Nash a max contract at this point in his career. What's so hard to realize what you just said is laughable and ludicrous. Saying stuff like that makes for a good laugh.

Well, someone offer $12 million and he turned it down. I said the Pacers would not have gotten him if they had offered a max contract. I still believe that. The Pacers would not have gotten Gordon if they had offered a max contract. None of the big time players would come to a team in the middle of the country, with an owner who is not willing and can't go out and get the pieces they need to compete. The Pacers have had one star in their NBA day, Reggie Miller. They drafted him and they kept him. The made one run to the finals around him. That is once in what, 35 years or so? Wake up.....:cool:

DemonHunter1105
07-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Your logic is almost never sound OlBlu....back on ignore you go, where trolls belong

vnzla81
07-04-2012, 10:07 PM
I can't wait for Seth to open another thread telling us that nobody has ever said NO to us we even offered more money.

PacersHomer
07-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Can't you just ban the old homeless idiot? He's clearly a troll who never adds anything. Stop quoting him.

Pace Maker
07-04-2012, 10:13 PM
I like OlBlu :cool:

PR07
07-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Can't you just ban the old homeless idiot? He's clearly a troll who never adds anything. Stop quoting him.

If I have to see that smiley face with the shades one more time, I'm going to lose it.

Hicks
07-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Have you ever heard of overstating something to make a point? :cool:

I think it's had the opposite effect.

BlueNGold
07-04-2012, 10:19 PM

This single post qualifies you as a troll for life.

Ramitt
07-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Sure he can. He is a troll, he can roll both ways.

adamscb
07-04-2012, 10:47 PM
this is completely off topic, but OlBlu why do you have to put a shades smiley at the end of every...single...post? do you have sunglasses permanently welded on your face?

Pacersalltheway10
07-04-2012, 10:48 PM
Also OlBlu who is the guy in your avatar thing.

cdash
07-04-2012, 10:52 PM
I am sure I will get an infraction for this, but someone needs to say it: What does this ****ing guy have to do to warrant a ban?

Pace Maker
07-04-2012, 10:55 PM
I am sure I will get an infraction for this, but someone needs to say it: What does this ****ing guy have to do to warrant a ban?

If you think this seriously warrants a ban lighten up lol

cdash
07-04-2012, 10:56 PM
If you think this seriously warrants a ban lighten up lol

I am looking at the overall body of work he has displayed. Find one post of his where he isn't intentionally trying to be antagonistic. I'll wait.

Pacersalltheway10
07-04-2012, 11:00 PM
I am looking at the overall body of work he has displayed. Find one post of his where he isn't intentionally trying to be antagonistic. I'll wait.

This thread post #11.

Sandman21
07-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Jeezus, Just put him on Ignore already! Trust me, its much quieter that way!

ksuttonjr76
07-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Here comes the Dwight Howard trade. I'm really going to hate playing NBA 2K13 this year if we lose Hibbert.

SycamoreKen
Back to the trade, why are the same experts that busted on the Nets trading 4 first round picks plus two serviceable players for DW and calling it a joke now claiming 2 low first rounders and 2 worthless second rounders and a few million in cash a great one for Phoenix? Besides the fact he could go to the Raptors and they get nothing at all.

vnzla81
If I have to see that smiley face with the shades one more time, I'm going to lose it.

:cool:

sorry but I had to do it ;)

LA_Confidential
07-04-2012, 11:07 PM
I'm just as displeased about not getting Nash as anyone but *****ing and moaning about the Lakers, HEAT or any other team "getting richer" is pathetic.

ballism
07-04-2012, 11:15 PM
I would've preferred to see him on the Knicks. The Lakers as well as the Spurs should be off limits for Nash. It's like Stockton or Reggie joining the Bulls.

Trophy
07-04-2012, 11:22 PM
They'll all age together on the Lakers.

wintermute
07-04-2012, 11:23 PM

Seriously, good for the Lakers. Nash wasn't ever coming to Indy, and better LA than NY from our point of view.

It doesn't come without a cost for the Lakers either. The 2013 pick looks like a late first, but even a late first is useful for adding (cheap) contributors to a contending team. The 2015 pick is the interesting one - both Kobe and Nash might retire by then, so that pick might come during the Lakers' inevitable rebuild. It's bound to be decent.

rexnom
07-04-2012, 11:23 PM
This is great! Much rather have him on a team in the West than in the East.

BringJackBack
07-04-2012, 11:25 PM

What doesn't he do to warrant a ban? He just tries to get under everyone's skin, and then saves face to keep him from being banned. Same applies to aaronb.

graphic-er
07-04-2012, 11:41 PM
i know its pointless to complain, but its the freaking Lakers getting an amazing deal once again! They literally gave up no talent, and only losing low draft picks. How does it happen, how!?

ECKrueger
07-04-2012, 11:45 PM
i know its pointless to complain, but its the freaking Lakers getting an amazing deal once again! They literally gave up no talent, and only losing low draft picks. How does it happen, how!?

Exactly!

15th parallel
07-04-2012, 11:56 PM

Same with the Pau Gasol trade several seasons ago. They practically won that trade by a landslide.

graphic-er
07-04-2012, 11:57 PM
Oh damn if i'm not hoping Howard ends up with the Lakers now. Get him out of the east. East is getting too much condensed talent, need to take a few of these teams out of the mix.

TheDon
07-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Stuff like this is just a kick in the balls to my fandom in general of not just the pacers but the nba. Maybe I was just naive and the reason this offseason has pissed me off as bad as it has is everyone who stuck around from before and through the rebuild we were told to be patient and things would turn around and to an extent they have this past season was very gratifying and made it feel worthwhile for sticking around. I guess I just expected more going into this offseason we had everything going for us we have a very good young upstart team that just needed that one piece to push us to seriously contend for a title. Even ESPN analysts who won't give us the time of day have been putting out articles about best case scenario for some of the top free agents to end up was in Indiana. Now despite being in the best situation and being able to offer people a big payday finally which I think is the first time since....ever...and we'll only have resigning Roy Hibbert to a max contract to show for it, cause some other team is forcing our hand and offering him a max. Meanwhile teams like the lakers who live in cap hell are aging and getting worse get someone like Nash for roughly 8 or 9 million a year and some worthless draft picks. I'll still keep watching the Pacers and cheer for them regardless, but damn is it tough knowing the cards are stacked against you. It's not like this is some new revelation I just came across, it's just being reminded of it constantly sucks.

ESutt7
07-05-2012, 12:03 AM
Oh damn if i'm not hoping Howard ends up with the Lakers now. Get him out of the east. East is getting too much condensed talent, need to take a few of these teams out of the mix.

NYK still doesn't fit well and Brooklyn's roster isn't exactly intimidating. Orlando and Atlanta are essentially out of the mix. Miami is the same. Boston is good, but old. Chicago has major injuries. Big names doesn't mean the pieces will fit. NY is a good example thus far.

Pacerized
07-05-2012, 12:04 AM

I agree, he brings nothing of value to the board. Not even a reasonable opposing viewpoint. I don't care what someone's opinions are, it's good to have different opinions or we'd have no decent discussions. His sole intention seems to be to antagonize and invoke a reaction. Then the thread becomes hijacked by being about Blu. In 8 years I've never put anyone on ignore, but I'll try if someone tells me how, I just don't see the option.

ECKrueger
07-05-2012, 12:06 AM
I agree, he brings nothing of value to the board. Not even a reasonable opposing viewpoint. I don't care what someone's opinions are, it's good to have different opinions or we'd have no decent discussions. His sole intention seems to be to antagonize and invoke a reaction. Then the thread becomes hijacked by being about Blu. In 8 years I've never put anyone on ignore, but I'll try if someone tells me how, I just don't see the option.

Click their name > View Profile > Add to Ignore List

3rdStrike
07-05-2012, 12:31 AM

They have an aggressive GM and a desirable location. Two things this franchise knows nothing about :(

And you guys seriously need to quit with the personal attacks on members. Either grow up and learn to deal with viewpoints you disagree with, or if you're not as mature then use the ignore button.

vnzla81
07-05-2012, 12:41 AM
They have an aggressive GM and a desirable location. Two things this franchise knows nothing about :(

And you guys seriously need to quit with the personal attacks on members. Either grow up and learn to deal with viewpoints you disagree with, or if you're not as mature then use the ignore button.

Yep I don't see the Pacers giving up 4 round picks for anybody, they always want to have the chance to draft a great player like Plumlee.

cgg
07-05-2012, 12:47 AM
What they gave up was irrelevant. Nash is a free agent and chose L.A. Then the Suns got whatever they could get. It's not a trade. It's a sign and trade. The Pacers could offer 50 picks and that's not going to make Nash choose them.

If he chose them then they wouldn't have to give up any picks because they didn't need a sign and trade.

But everyone feel free to proceed to freak out about everything when we're still a week from when anything can be signed by anyone.

Pace Maker
07-05-2012, 01:29 AM

-Challenge Accepted

On who the Pacers should add this offseason:

I think Billips and Kidd are washed up but I like your other suggestions[Lee, Mayo, B.Roy].....:cool:

Hibbert vs JaVale McGee:

You must be kidding. Hibbert is at another level from JaVale..........:cool:

On whether or not Hibbert could be an All-Star in the West

He isn't an All Star in the East either unless someone is injured. Players get injured in the West too......:cool:

On whether or not we should match Portland's offer:

This shouldn't surprise anyone. He is worth it. Match the offer, Pacers. Now we will see how serious Simon is about building a winner......:cool:

He's not as bad as people make him out to be. It's nice to have a unique viewpoint I say.

And last but not least, :cool:

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-05-2012, 02:36 AM
Other than the ESPN article which said that Nash would be a good fit and some tweets saying that we were interested in him, what reason did we have to get our hopes up that he would actually come play for the Pacers?

I never got the feeling that we were ever in serious consideration to sign Nash, or DWill for that matter, so I can't say I'm disappointed.

As far as him going to the Lakers, they had some Good Karma coming their way after last offseason's CP3 debacle and subsequently physically losing Odom and emotionally and mentally losing Pau.

TMJ31
07-05-2012, 03:18 AM
Well, if he wasn't coming here I am glad he is staying in the West.

But honestly the thing I am most upset about is the fact that now I am honor-bound to absolutely hate my former favorite Non-Pacer.

That's truly a bummer for me. Not being sarcastic.

WhoLovesYaBaby?
07-05-2012, 06:49 AM
I am not the least surprised by this signing. Nash would have never seriously considered the Pacers. West is the only top notch FA signing we have ever had in the NBA era of this team. And he was a gamble because of past injuries. Besides being on a short contract.

Kstat
07-05-2012, 07:10 AM
Good for Nash. I'm glad he has one more chance to get to the finals. I'll root for the Lakers if they manage to get out of the west.

OlBlu
07-05-2012, 07:27 AM
Also OlBlu who is the guy in your avatar thing.

That is me.........:cool:

Sollozzo
07-05-2012, 07:59 AM
This is much better than him going to the Knicks. I'm glad for Nash and am excited to see the Class of 96 back court This is going to be an extremely exciting team to watch and you once again have to view the Lakers as being very serious contenders.

FlavaDave
07-05-2012, 08:16 AM
The thing that makes me sad is this: if the New York Knicks and the Pacers swapped rosters, ad if the NYK were coming off a season in which they had the 5th best record in the league, took Miami to 6 games, and had a bunch of cap room, Deron Williams and Steve Nash would be fighting with each other for the chance to step in as point guard. In fact, I bet Nash signs to be Deron's back up (just kidding).

But seriously, we would dominate free agency if we were in a huge market. And that sucks.

Kstat
07-05-2012, 08:19 AM
.....Nash didn't go to the Knicks or the pacers....

Unclebuck
07-05-2012, 08:22 AM
I don't see him being a huge help to the Lakers. Kobe is the Lakers playmaker, so I'm not sure Nash will be nearly as effective off the ball. Plus their defense will suffer

Kstat
07-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Kobe will play off the ball more than Nash will. And LA has an excellent defensive team. They can afford Nash's defense more than other teams can afford to have Nash picking them apart with PnRs to Bynum and Gasol.

ballism
07-05-2012, 08:46 AM
Assuming the Lakers resign Jordan Hill and use their exceptions, which they are rumored to, they'll be close to 100 mil this year, and probably over the next... nice!

Their starting lineup alone is at 79.5 mil.

FlavaDave
07-05-2012, 09:30 AM
.....Nash didn't go to the Knicks or the pacers....

...That's my point?

Ignoring the 8th seed finish, the Knicks simply don't have the cap room or a trade exception to land Nash or Williams.

I imagine a super talented player would ideally want four things in a free agent destination:
1) A talented team that has proven that it can win.
2) Plenty of cap room to pay them what they deserve without losing talent in a trade.
3) An open opportunity at their position.
4) A large market/desirable city.

No team in the league hit on the first three like the Pacers. I'm not alone in this perspective; Hollinger and others (can't remember other writer's names) pointed out the same thing. However, the angle was always "Holy cow! Indiana is the perfect destination for Nash/Williams! Too bad it will never happen..."

I just picked the Knicks for the hell of it. Point was, if we were in a big market, those stories would lose the "too bad" part.

I'm not a big "small/big market" conspiracy theorist. I just think that it is true in this case.

Mourning
07-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Stuff like this is just a kick in the balls to my fandom in general of not just the pacers but the nba. Maybe I was just naive and the reason this offseason has pissed me off as bad as it has is everyone who stuck around from before and through the rebuild we were told to be patient and things would turn around and to an extent they have this past season was very gratifying and made it feel worthwhile for sticking around. I guess I just expected more going into this offseason we had everything going for us we have a very good young upstart team that just needed that one piece to push us to seriously contend for a title. Even ESPN analysts who won't give us the time of day have been putting out articles about best case scenario for some of the top free agents to end up was in Indiana. Now despite being in the best situation and being able to offer people a big payday finally which I think is the first time since....ever...and we'll only have resigning Roy Hibbert to a max contract to show for it, cause some other team is forcing our hand and offering him a max. Meanwhile teams like the lakers who live in cap hell are aging and getting worse get someone like Nash for roughly 8 or 9 million a year and some worthless draft picks. I'll still keep watching the Pacers and cheer for them regardless, but damn is it tough knowing the cards are stacked against you. It's not like this is some new revelation I just came across, it's just being reminded of it constantly sucks.

THIS! We should have tanked one of those JOB seasons. I was convinced then and still am now. It's the only realistic way, together with making a lopsided trade (in our favour that is), for a team like ours to get absolute top talent and have a bit of a chance to keep it.

Btw I am not freaking out, but IMHO just being realistic to how the NBA seems to work.

07-05-2012, 09:55 AM
I've said it before but I'll say it again.

I'd cry like a baby if the Pacers moved. But I wouldn't be upset about not having to care about the NBA anymore.

lol

I was thinking the same thing.

Until this past year, I had always feared retraction and that the Pacers would potentially be on the chopping block.

Now, I'm almost pulling for us to be so I never have to watch the NBA again.

I sat on my computer and watched like 60 of the 66 regular season games and for what?? I'm not sure why the NBA is getting more popular because to me, the league has been completely ruined. These "super teams" suck and the refs are horrible. It's going to be impossible to beat teams with three superstars because they're always going to get the benefit of the doubt and shoot 10 freaking free throws a game. That's like 30 free points a game just for those three players. Lebron and Wade could basically shoot more free throws than our entire team combined.

At this point, who cares. It's pretty sad that a good off-season for us consists of overpaying Roy Hibbert to stay. In the mean time, the Lakers add Nash. Heat will probably add someone. Knicks will probably add someone and that's on top of Woodson completely changing the team. They started playing some really good defense when he took over. If you think about how Vogel turned us around, Woodson will probably do the same and the Knicks have superstars. I don't know if the Celtics have it in them but they could bring back the same roster that almost beat the Heat at a much cheaper price and it would allow them to add more pieces. Lastly, the Nets will probably acquire Howard to playing with Deron Williams, Joe Johnson and Gerald Wallace. That probably instantly makes them team to beat. Oh, yeah. can't forget about the Clippers. They'll probably find a way to add a 3rd superstar by trading a bag of dog turds to a small market team and the small market team will gladly accept.

That's want the NBA wants though so just retract us, Minnesota, New Orleans, Charlotte, Sacramento and Milwaukee. Then the Heat, Lakers, Clippers, Nets, Celtics, Bulls, Knicks and Mavs can have whoever they want. Lebron thinks "the NBA is too watered down". So they can go ahead and fight over Kevin Love, Roy Hibbert, Danny Granger, Anthony Davis, Eric Gordon, DeMarcus Cousins, Tyreke Evans, Monta Ellis, Brandon Jennings etc. They'd all look good playing in major cities. That's all the league cares about.

P.s. Hope everyone had a great 4th of July! Beer is way better than the NBA! :)

Kstat
07-05-2012, 10:08 AM
...That's my point?

Ignoring the 8th seed finish, the Knicks simply don't have the cap room or a trade exception to land Nash or Williams.

I imagine a super talented player would ideally want four things in a free agent destination:
1) A talented team that has proven that it can win.
2) Plenty of cap room to pay them what they deserve without losing talent in a trade.
3) An open opportunity at their position.
4) A large market/desirable city.

No team in the league hit on the first three like the Pacers. I'm not alone in this perspective; Hollinger and others (can't remember other writer's names) pointed out the same thing. However, the angle was always "Holy cow! Indiana is the perfect destination for Nash/Williams! Too bad it will never happen..."

I just picked the Knicks for the hell of it. Point was, if we were in a big market, those stories would lose the "too bad" part.

I'm not a big "small/big market" conspiracy theorist. I just think that it is true in this case.

Your theory was blown out of the water when Nash joined Kobe, gasol and Bynum.

I was all on the Nash-pacers bandwagon, but I hadn't considered the lakers as a destination.

Objectively, the lakers are a better fit for Nash than the pacers.

If he had joined a worse team like the Knicks, you might have had a better case. The lakers are a different story.

And I know the pacers beat the lakers last year and finished with a slightly better record, but they are still a better fit for Nash and more of a title threat in the next 2 years with his services. It's a logical basketball move, big market or no.

ballism
07-05-2012, 10:10 AM

I was all on the Nash-pacers bandwagon, but I hadn't considered them as a destination.

it seems you are arguing exactly the same point.

ballism
07-05-2012, 11:03 AM
i didn't see the rest of your post when i replied, i think those are fair points.
i think the Lakers needed Nash even more than we did. They are desperate for basically every skill he brings.
It's likely that he pushes them higher than he would've the Pacers.

but overall, it would've been pretty close basketball wise.
and on top of it, we had more money (to offer him) and flexibility. we had assets, picks, space. on a team like the Knicks this would mean a lot more.

All that said, I think this argument may apply to Deron more.
I fully believe that family mattered more than market in Nash's case, maybe even more than winning/basketball reasons. I think he might've stayed in Phoenix if they made a competitive offer. LA was the next best thing in that regard.

Kstat
07-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Sure, deron was a market signing. That doesn't mean Nash was, though.

Superstars have been chasing big markets since the sixties, before there was even free agency in the NBA.

Again, were living in the last ten seconds. Read a ******* history book. This isn't necessarily directed at you, just all the people that want to howl at the moon about how unfair the NBA has suddenly become. It's embarrassing.

Sookie
07-05-2012, 11:37 AM

I was all on the Nash-pacers bandwagon, but I hadn't considered the lakers as a destination.

If he had joined a worse team like the Knicks, you might have had a better case. The lakers are a different story.

And I know the pacers beat the lakers last year and finished with a slightly better record, but they are still a better fit for Nash and more of a title threat in the next 2 years with his services. It's a logical basketball move, big market or no.

It's not like Nash is a big market chaser, either. He's played in Dallas and Phoenix his entire career. Not exactly huge markets. And at 36(?) years old, big markets lose a little bit of their charm.

I think location played a role in that LA is decently close to Phoenix. But that's about it.

pacer4ever
07-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Nash is a good sign but it won't help them beat OKC. They still haven't got a guy to guard Westbrook or Durant Nasg guarding Westbrook in the playoffs will be lol had no answer for them last year and wont next year unless they sign a guy like Brush Miami matches up well with them having 2 elite defenders like Wade and LBJ is a must to beat OKC until LA gets someone they will not be OKC unless OKC has a really off series.

BlueNGold
07-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Sure, deron was a market signing. That doesn't mean Nash was, though.

Superstars have been chasing big markets since the sixties, before there was even free agency in the NBA.

Again, were living in the last ten seconds. Read a ******* history book. This isn't necessarily directed at you, just all the people that want to howl at the moon about how unfair the NBA has suddenly become. It's embarrassing.

True, but the quality of the product suffers. People point to attendance figures league wide, but what you see are a huge number of bandwagon fans from giant markets. In the same breath, the same people say our attendance will go up if we start winning. You can't have it both ways. The team isn't going to win if the talent is in the large markets...thus interest in the Pacers and attendance are down.

Seriously, the NFL will never need to look over its shoulder because the NBA is clearly a second rate league.

ballism
07-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Nash is a good sign but it won't help them beat OKC. They still haven't got a guy to guard Westbrook or Durant Nasg guarding Westbrook in the playoffs will be lol had no answer for them last year and wont next year unless they sign a guy like Brush Miami matches up well with them having 2 elite defenders like Wade and LBJ is a must to beat OKC until LA gets someone they will not be OKC unless OKC has a really off series.

West point guards will kill them, Parker, Paul, Westbrook, Lawson, but they had no answer for them anyway, before Nash. I don't see them solving it anytime soon.
(although it being the Lakers, they'll probably get Tony Allen for McBob....)
But regardless, they won't be terrible defensively against any team, and their offense will be something.

d_c
07-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Seriously, the NFL will never need to look over its shoulder because the NBA is clearly a second rate league.

NFL will never need to look over its shoulder because simply because football has always been a more popular sport than basketball in the US and always will be. They could shoot themselves in the foot a million times with things like bountygate, spy gate, as many players on steroids as they can count, lockouts, etc...They can have 100 more guys in their league like Pacman Jones. It doesn't matter. They will always be more popular because people in this country need their football fix. It'll never change.

The reason NCAA football is more popular than NCAA basketball isn't because the football side of things is better run. The football side has never even had a legitimate way of determining their champion, as fact that is complained about by everyone ad nausem, where as the basketball side runs one of the best postseason tournaments in all of sports. Yet football is easily more popular.

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-05-2012, 06:25 PM

I'm not sure I understand this argument.

How many teams have players who can guard Westbrook and Durant? At best, you hope Westbrook guards himself with his decision making and Durant just has an off night. And the difference between Nash and Sessions on defense is negligible considering the difference on offense.

How does Miami match up well with Pau and Bynum inside? Plus now LA has a playmaker who can get them the ball in the right spots. Rondo tore Miami apart. Imagine Nash running around pick and rolls with Pau and Bynum. You have to respect Nash's jumper and Pau's pick and pop, and Bynum rolling to the rim. Oh, and there's that Kobe guy on the wing to release any pressure too.

Why can't LA put Kobe on Wade and have Artest use his strength to get physical with LeBron? Kobe got burned by Westbrook. But Wade is not Westbrook when it comes to athleticism. Artest is probably the only other 3 in the game who can hold his ground against LeBron in the post.

There's been a lot of talk about Nash's defense. Not enough people are talking about how OKC, or any other team in the West, will have their hands full guarding Nash and the Lakers.

d_c
07-05-2012, 06:29 PM
How does Miami match up well with Pau and Bynum inside? Plus now LA has a playmaker who can get them the ball in the right spots. Rondo tore Miami apart.

Miami probably won't have any problems matching up with the Lakers because Nash still won't get them past OKC in the Western Conference playoffs.

BlueNGold
07-05-2012, 06:50 PM
NFL will never need to look over its shoulder because simply because football has always been a more popular sport than basketball in the US and always will be. They could shoot themselves in the foot a million times with things like bountygate, spy gate, as many players on steroids as they can count, lockouts, etc...They can have 100 more guys in their league like Pacman Jones. It doesn't matter. They will always be more popular because people in this country need their football fix. It'll never change.

The reason NCAA football is more popular than NCAA basketball isn't because the football side of things is better run. The football side has never even had a legitimate way of determining their champion, as fact that is complained about by everyone ad nausem, where as the basketball side runs one of the best postseason tournaments in all of sports. Yet football is easily more popular.

There is a much bigger gap in popularity between the NFL and NBA versus their NCAA equivalents. That's obvious just because of the office pools. But I agree with part of what you are saying. The way the league and the tournaments are structured has a lot to do with the variance, But that's not the whole story. The NBA product isn't nearly as interesting when the talent is centralized year after year with the big market teams. It may be for those particular cities, but it isn't for the Memphis's of the league or the Pacers. League wide attendance isn't a measure of quality of the product game in and game out. If you have a large percentage of games that are either irrelevant or already decided before the teams take the floor....sorry, but that's not the type of competitive game many fans are interested in seeing.

d_c
07-05-2012, 07:03 PM
There is a much bigger gap in popularity between the NFL and NBA versus their NCAA equivalents. That's obvious just because of the office pools. But I agree with part of what you are saying. The way the league and the tournaments are structured has a lot to do with the variance, But that's not the whole story. The NBA product isn't nearly as interesting when the talent is centralized year after year with the big market teams. It may be for those particular cities, but it isn't for the Memphis's of the league or the Pacers. League wide attendance isn't a measure of quality of the product game in and game out. If you have a large percentage of games that are either irrelevant or already decided before the teams take the floor....sorry, but that's not the type of competitive game many fans are interested in seeing.

Recall that before Stern even took over the league, they NBA wasn't a 2nd rate league. They were barely a 4th rate league, with nobody watching and playoff games on tape delay. Stern, Magic, Bird and Jordan are the big reasons the NBA is even where it's at. Really, what was it that popularized the NBA in the 80s from a league that nobody cared about in the 70s? It was the battle of dynasties between 2 big market teams that ended up winning 8 out of 10 titles during that decade. Nobody complained about that. The NBA understands its niche and understand why its fans watch. They know people watch them for a different reason than they watch football.

And as long as the NBA gets its ratings and airtime, they are OK with what's going on. And right now they continue to do as well as ever in the post Jordan dynasty. Remember when two "smaller market" teams went at it in the World Series in 2010? The Rangers looking for their first title and the Giants their first title since moving to SF? That was great. It was great that the Giants got off the snide and the Rangers beat the damn Yankees, but in terms of TV ratings, baseball did horribly. It was one of the lowest rated World Series ever.

MLB will take the Yankees vs. some other big market team every year because they know its ratings reliable. NBA will gladly take the Heat playing the villain vs. anybody else because people want to see if someone can beat Lebron, similar to the Jordan/Laker dynasties because the big intrigue was to see if someone could knock off the big favorite. They have no problems with it because it wins them the bottom line.

BlueNGold
07-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Recall that before Stern even took over the league, they NBA wasn't a 2nd rate league. They were barely a 4th rate league, with nobody watching and playoff games on tape delay. Stern, Magic, Bird and Jordan are the big reasons the NBA is even where it's at. Really, what was it that popularized the NBA in the 80s from a league that nobody cared about in the 70s? It was the battle of dynasties between 2 big market teams that ended up winning 8 out of 10 titles during that decade. Nobody complained about that. The NBA understands its niche and understand why its fans watch. They know people watch them for a different reason than they watch football.

And as long as the NBA gets its ratings and airtime, they are OK with what's going on. And right now they continue to do as well as ever in the post Jordan dynasty. Remember when two "smaller market" teams went at it in the World Series in 2010? The Rangers looking for their first title and the Giants their first title since moving to SF? That was great. It was great that the Giants got off the snide and the Rangers beat the damn Yankees, but in terms of TV ratings, baseball did horribly. It was one of the lowest rated World Series ever.

MLB will take the Yankees vs. some other big market team every year because they know its ratings reliable. NBA will gladly take the Heat playing the villain vs. anybody else because people want to see if someone can beat Lebron, similar to the Jordan/Laker dynasties because the big intrigue was to see if someone could knock off the big favorite. They have no problems with it because it wins them the bottom line.

I think you are proving my point. The NBA was a 4th rate league because only one team one a ring for a full decade in the 60's. Until there was true competition (of any kind) with Bird and Magic, it wasn't that interesting. In fact, the best basketball the NBA has ever seen was between Bird and Magic because you didn't know who would win it. As for ratings, sure, big market teams winning the games will draw the ratings. That doesn't mean the product is good though. It just means Chicago and Miami have a lot of bandwagon fans who don't even know the difference between a turnover and assist. It's a sorry excuse for competition, quite frankly.

d_c
07-05-2012, 08:43 PM
I think you are proving my point. The NBA was a 4th rate league because only one team one a ring for a full decade in the 60's. Until there was true competition (of any kind) with Bird and Magic, it wasn't that interesting. In fact, the best basketball the NBA has ever seen was between Bird and Magic because you didn't know who would win it. As for ratings, sure, big market teams winning the games will draw the ratings. That doesn't mean the product is good though. It just means Chicago and Miami have a lot of bandwagon fans who don't even know the difference between a turnover and assist. It's a sorry excuse for competition, quite frankly.

People didn't know Lebron and the Heat were going to win this year. Most people thought it was going to end up a lot like last season for them, or worse. In fact, there were a couple points in the series against the Pacers and Celts where it looked like they were going to lose. And heading into the series vs. the Thunder, OKC were the favorites, with a good amount of people claiming Kevin Durant as the best player in the game. Even then, most people knew the Bulls were going to win the last two seasons with Jordan, but they watched anyways. The ratings were monstrous.

The NBA knows who they are. They know their place and know their niche in the sporting world. That's how they've been incredibly successful from promoting a sport that has always been the 3rd most popular in the country.